DVDVR Message Board

NWA (Current Version) Discussion

I watched the last week of episodes of NWA Powerr and  NWA USA for the first time since the pandemic. Listening to Aldis bury NWA on Sam Roberts podcast made me decide to check it out again and I really enjoyed it as much as I did since last time. They always do a good job building towards a PPV. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matwarz said:

I mean I’m not wrong am I, there was an actual small window there where people were starting to give a shit about the NWA title right?

Yep and then Dick Hutton won it. Ain't been as prestigious since then.

Decent show overall, a marathon of wrestling as the NWA PPVs usually come off, but probably the weakest of the big NWA PPV cards in recent years. Almost all the matches felt rushed and none of them were super standout. Felt like the womens' championship match was hurt by being made a triple threat, knowing Chelsea had no chance of winning and was there to take the fall, but I'm at least glad Kamille's run didn't end here because of that.  Sad to see Homicide's epic Junior reign come to an end but figured it was time for Kerry to prevail. Davey/Colby was a pretty fun sprint. Joe Galli calls this a new era of the NWA at the end. "Welcome to the era of Idol Sports Management" 

Full results NWA Hard Times 3:

Spoiler

PRESHOW:

*Mims def. Anthony Andrews (5:39) after the Big Strong Slam.

*Slime Szn (Bu Ku Dao & J Spade)(c) def. The Miserably Faithful (Sal the Pal & Gaagz the Gymp) (7:03) when Spade pinned Sal with a backslide to retain the Wildkat Sports Tag Team Championships.

*Anthony Mayweather, JTG, & Da Pope def. Jax Dane, Mercurio, & Alex Taylor (w/ Chris Silvio, Danny Dealz, CJ, & Magic Jake Dumas) (10:37) in a Hardcore Team War

*Jordan Clearwater def. AJ Cazana (10:44) after the Midas Touch to WIN the NWA Television Championship

NWA Hard Times 3 PPV

*Max the Impaler (w/ Father James Mitchell) def. Natalia Markova (8:15) in the Voodoo Queen Casket Match after interference from Sal the Pal.

*Davey Richards(c) def. Colby Corino (6:45) via ankle lock submission to retain the MLW National Openweight Championship. After the match, Colby refused Davey's handshake.

*The Question Mark II def. The Question Mark (w/ Aron Stevens) (6:03) after the Mongrovian Spike in a Mask vs. Mask match. Afterwards, Aron covered "Question Mark's" face with a towel and Kratos chased them away.

*Kerry Morton (w/ Ricky Morton) def. Homicide(c) (10:07) after using the Koji Cutter to WIN the NWA Junior Championship.

*Thrillbilly Silas def. Odinson (4:57) after the Thrillride

*The Fixers (Jay Bradley & Wrecking Ball Legursky)(c) def. The Spectaculars (Rush Freeman & Brady Pierce) (w/ Rolando Freeman) (8:49) after a double chokeslam on Rush to retain the NWA US Tag Team Championships.

*Cyon(c) (w/ Austin Idol) def. Dak Draper (6:01) after the rolling death valley driver to retain the NWA National Championship.

*Pretty Empowered (Ella Envy & Kenzie Paige)(c) def. Madi & Missa Kate (8:14) to retain the NWA Womens Tag Team Championships after Madi turned on Missa following a miscommunication.

*EC3 def. Thom Latimer (8:34) via DQ when Latimer snapped and attacked the ref after EC3 baited him by bringing up Latimer's wife, Kamille.

*La Rebelion (Bestia 666 & Mecha Wolf)(c) (w/ Damian 666) def. Hawx Aerie (Luke Hawx & PJ Hawx) (10:52) when Bestia pinned Luke with a rollup after Mecha Wolf used poison mist to retain the NWA Tag Team Championships.

*Kamille(c) def. Chelsea Green & KiLynn King (9:05) after the Spear on Chelsea to retain the NWA Women's Championship.

*Kyle Davis introduced Bobby Fulton to the ring, who gave a speech putting over the NWA.

*Tyrus (w/ BLK Jeez) def. Trevor Murdoch(c) & Matt Cardona (10:05) after the Tongan Death Grip Slam on Murdoch to WIN the NWA Worlds Heavyweight Championship. After the match, Tyrus celebrated with the rest of Idol Sports Management as they now hold the World, Television, and National championships.

• Like 1

Watched the NWA PPV as well. Haven't followed the company in a few months, so some of the storylines didn't make sense to me at first.

-- A "Hardcore Team War" that's essentially a cibernetico with only two wrestlers in the ring at a time didn't seem to make sense. Neither did two people in the ring and about 12 others out of it (including the "heel security" that did nothing after being introduced). I'm also guessing Christi Jaynes was brought in solely to have chats in Portuguese with May Valentine -- she seems decent in the ring but being absolutely wasted doing the magician's assistant schtick.

-- Richards-Corino was good -- liked the end where Richards went immediately to different finishers after a two-count rather than giving a shock face. Would like to see Corino make the move up to Impact, NXT or ROH 2.0 (if it gets TV). Did get a laugh at Joe Galli talking about Corino's father being Stevie Richards (he clearly misspoke and was quickly corrected, but it got a big laugh from me).

-- Velvet Sky's announcing reminded me of .... Susan St. James at WrestleMania 2. 3-4 hours of her in Mom mode expressing concern over what's happening around her was too much.

-- Too many production bloopers to count -- from the free hour beginning in the middle of a match to entrance music and pre-taped interview segments starting at the wrong time.

-- Odinson looks like a Viking and talks like an accountant.

-- EC3 put me to sleep, as did his match. Cyon match was dull as watching grass grow. 

-- Kerry Morton has potential. He does face in peril as well as his dad. Like dad, he may be better as a tag worker. Like Corino, maybe a move to Impact or ROH 2.0 would be a better fit.

-- So this Rolando Freeman guy is the love child of Spike Dudley and one of the Fabulous Ones? Announcers made a big deal about him pulling upsets on Cardona and company on TV, but all he did here was take bumps from The Fixers (who I enjoyed -- kind of a low-rent Bear Country).

-- Tyrus may be a nice person outside the ring (I have no idea), but giving the belt to a morbidly-obese 49-year-old who gasses out after two minutes is mind-boggling.

• Like 2

Didn't see the whole card but what I saw was brutal. Pretty Empowered were awful. EC3 is awful. Tyrus is awful. The Fixers are awful. The short matches were merciful. Velvet Sky needs to learn a few seconds of silence is okay on commentary. There was at least some charm when they were doing the old school deal because at least it was different. But now it's devolved into Corgan carting out these ugly old belts. A bunch of out of shape workers that get gassed in a minute. A bunch of people that are unemployable anywhere else. Corgan needs to mercy kill this since he doesn't have the capital to keep anyone around. Anyone interesting gets picked up by someone else. He's never getting this on TV. He was saying this week he doesn't have access to enough quality female performers to put on an all female card that lives up to NWA standards. That junk last night barely lived up to Backyard Wrestling standards

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

A reminder that it's the Season Premiere, so Powerrr premieres free on youtube this week starting now. 

Jordan Clearwater(c) vs. Mims for the TV Title
Aron Stevens vs. Kratos
Ryan Davidson vs. Odinson 

I'm starting to really dig Jordan Clearwater.  Everything else was pretty low rent.  I dug Aron Stevens new version of Doom.  Man, Austin Idol is horrendous.  He couldn't get out of the way of his champion talking.

• Like 2

The pandemic and Corgan wanting to own the NWA fans really destroyed this promotion, huh?

Not that Aldis's discount Flair was any good (hey, I just wanted Tim Storm to be champ again), but before the pandemic, they were so promising. They had set up an awesome Zicky Dice/Ricky Starks rivalry and had Pope and Kingston cutting such good promos that I was absolutely hyped for them to wrestle each other. Pope throwing obstacle after obstacle at Kingston before finally having to pay the price was the sort of simple-yet-compelling angle that I watched for. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

The pandemic and Corgan wanting to own the NWA fans really destroyed this promotion, huh?

Not that Aldis's discount Flair was any good (hey, I just wanted Tim Storm to be champ again), but before the pandemic, they were so promising. They had set up an awesome Zicky Dice/Ricky Starks rivalry and had Pope and Kingston cutting such good promos that I was absolutely hyped for them to wrestle each other. Pope throwing obstacle after obstacle at Kingston before finally having to pay the price was the sort of simple-yet-compelling angle that I watched for. 

Not so much Corgan wanting to own the fans but basically every name you mentioned that you liked got picked off by bigger promotions. Aldis got a nice contract but who knows what anyone else gets. Some have said $1000 a month. So Corgan is left with talent that is unemployable elsewhere. Thom Latimer probably moves into the Aldis position next since he has nothing else going for him. Corgan has said the NWA is at mid 90s ECW level now. I guess Tyrus is his Johnny Hotbody. 5 years into this and they only had half a small building full on Saturday. Sometime in 2023 Corgan will sell this thing to Tony Khan 

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Sell it to TK for what? A box of Hot Pockets and a Criterion DVD of Paths of Glory? That's the CURRENT worth of the promotion. In 2023, he might not get even that much.

I read somewhere that even the old Houston footage Billy owns is like second-generation VHS quality - guy doesn't realize the only reason he got meetings with HHH is because he's a famous musician and not because WWE ever saw value in the NWA

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

I read somewhere that even the old Houston footage Billy owns is like second-generation VHS quality - guy doesn't realize the only reason he got meetings with HHH is because he's a famous musician and not because WWE ever saw value in the NWA

didn't Corgan want some cross-promotion or something? zero chance. the BEST Corgan could hope for is a timeslot on WWE Network, but i think the Peacock deal actually makes that less likely. i really would love for the NWA to succeed, but i just don't see how that's going to happen based on what we've seen lately. Corgan's been talking about his "vision" and long-term plans for the company, but it seems to be treading water at best.

and i really can't see any value in the company. Yes, it has a long history, but there's little to no footage to show that off with. WWE owns practically all of the video. Corgan owning the promotion is the highest profile that it's had since, what? NWA-TNA in 2002? would that even hold any prestige? the '98 run on WWF tv was terrible and a non-issue. There were a couple of "NWA" shows in like 1993 that didn't amount to anything. So we're looking at the rebranding to WCW in 1992 (?). Again, none of that has ANY relevance in 2023. by all accounts, Corgan can't even get a basic tv contract. if that's emblematic of how the world views your promotion, there's not much room for upward growth.

has any Corgan storyline broken through to the wider wrestling audience? Maybe Tim Storm's Cinderella run at the title? Cardona and his run (combined with his appearances in other promotions)?