DVDVR Message Board

NWA (Current Version) Discussion

On 7/9/2022 at 6:53 PM, BrianS81177 said:

ut the god damned belt back on Tim Storm

Seconded. I've been digging him on commentary (he's got a legit sports, almost Jim Nantz-type delivery, plus almost anyone is an improvement on Idol so he was over with me from jump) and his reaction this week on Power when Billy Corgan lifted the ban was awesome. He really, really sold the hell out of that and I have to give kudos to Velvet too with the nice job she did consoling him. If she ad-libbed that, great instinct on her part

• Like 1

Allysin vs. KiLynn is good stuff.

Spoiler

Main event is an utter shit finish, wasting Tim's 'one last shot' story after building that up nicely for no reason. William Patrick Corgan needs to get involved. Would've much preferred Storm/Murdoch in an old school heavyweights clash rather than redoing Aldis/Murdoch again or anything else.

Other matches are solid 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Allysin vs. KiLynn is good stuff.

Hide contents

Main event is an utter shit finish, wasting Tim's 'one last shot' story after building that up nicely for no reason. William Patrick Corgan needs to get involved. Would've much preferred Storm/Murdoch in an old school heavyweights clash rather than redoing Aldis/Murdoch again or anything else.

Other matches are solid 

Ahhh, whatever gets Austin idol off my fucking TV screen.

• Haha 2

293322973_5245846748830029_5456542737661

Baby Doll has been announced to appear at NWA 74 Night 1, while JJ Dillon is announced for Night 2. Baby Doll is expected to manage her debuting daughter, Samantha Starr. 

Plus Ricky Steamboat has been announced for the post-NWA74 TV tapings.

294645773_5261094473971923_8690867845879

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 1

The NWA Power era started so well. The news since the shutdown has seemed either bad or awful. Whenever I randomly check in I'm still fond of the aesthetic and presentation. That said, correct me if I'm wrong here, they seem to really badly need a head of talent manager (or whatever you call that position) - a JR in his prime. I sometimes daydream what would happen if you took the NWA Power simple booking and aesthetic minus the roster and added the Impact roster minus their cheap Raw aesthetic/bad skits/bad drama. Scott D'Amore may not be a great head of creative, but his ability to put together a roster in 2022 is pretty fantastic. On the otherhand, I admire Billy's persistance with the traditional style, but clearly his eye for talent is questionable at best. Knowing his musical trajectory it's not going to get better.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

Should've put in Tim Storm in his place!!

I actually have enjoyed Tyrus' bigger matches in NWA, but '74 needed a TV title defense too.

Bizarre, I don't know if this is a worked shoot or what.

Long transcript of Billy from Busted Open Radio on Aldis:

Spoiler
"In the case of Nick Aldis, yes your #1 contender for the NWA Worlds Heavyweight Champion Trevor Murdoch in St. Louis. I've dealt with this man for over four years and for every ounce of politicking you see publicly there's about 10x worse behind the scenes. No one stresses me out more in the NWA than Nick Aldis. No one is more highly paid than Nick Aldis. No one is more unhappy than Nick Aldis... I mean, I'm 55-years-old, I've got two little kids, I've got a musical life... This kind of junk, I just can't take it anymore... He is stripped of the #1 contendership, he will NOT be in the Main Event at #NWA74...

Listen, why this stuff has to play out in public, I don't know. I'm sick of it. I'm a public person... I've encouraged our talent to deal with these things behind the scenes. I'm just sick of dealing with this politicking in public.
Matt Cardona, who took a lot of criticism coming into the NWA, particularly from the NWA locker room... had bicep surgery, then that day held up the Worlds Heavyweight Title with his arm in a sling from wherever the hell he was in a hospital room and said 'I'll be at the NWA PPV in Knoxville.' He came and in the ring relinquished the title. He was concerned about the lineal succession of the NWA Worlds Heavyweight championship, does business the right way. I want people in the NWA who do business the right way. Matt Cardona would be the most obvious person to name, but he's not ready to go.

I don't have to shoot on Nick Aldis, Nick Aldis shoots on himself. What is the junk in this (most recent) tweet? Who is he talking to?... What are we talking about? He's the highest paid talent in the NWA. No one is more decorated in the NWA. No one is more celebrated in the NWA than Nick Aldis. Nick Aldis has been the face of this company since I brought this company back. As he likes to say, in the beginning it was him and Tim Storm. And you know what? In the past four years, Tim Storm has proven himself to be just as valuable if not MORE valuable than Nick Aldis because Nick Aldis wears the NWA on his heart and his sleeve. Nick Aldis is in business for himself. That's fine. I don't have a problem with wrestlers being in business for themselves. But at some point, I have to choose between their interest and my interest and MY interest is the NWA.

When people mocked me for bringing the NWA back... Look at where it was when I got it and look at where it is now. People take this seriously now for a reason. The NWA titles and what they represent, particularly to the boys in the back, are EVERYTHING to this company. I can't have one guy constantly going rogue. I'm just sick of it. He wants to blow himself up, he wants to blow me up, he can do whatever. He's a grown man.
It's easy to wave the flag when you're the Champion. Nick Aldis has one picture in his mind and that picture is Aldis up on a turnbuckle with the NWA Worlds Heavyweight Championship around his waist. Nick Aldis without the title is the grumpiest person in the world. Now, I get it if he wants to win but I'm not the person standing between him and the title. He will say I am. He doesn't like the way I run business. He doesn't think I should be having tournaments and qualifying matches. He thinks opportunity should just be handed to him. Let's not forget that when Trevor Murdoch was injured in Oak Grove, he stepped over a BLEEDING Trevor Murdoch to get to Matt Cardona. Let's be balanced here. I want a hard-charging Champion. I want hard-charging challengers. But at the end of the day, you have to rep this company. This is a different world. This is the 21st Century. I'm not dealing with this stuff. That's it.

When asked if he thought his feelings were getting the best of him in this moment, Corgan replied: "No. I'm making a business decision. We're in a promotional cycle now. What are we here to talk about? NWA 74, August 27th & 28th Is he promoting the event? Is he putting over other people on the card? NO. Even if you're not the Champion and you're the challenger, you have even MORE responsibility to represent the company.

... Nick likes to talk about other people's politics? It's in one of his nicknames, 'The Dealer.' He thinks he's playing cards here. This is some kind of elaborate card game that only he cares about.
I care about the NWA. I have to sell out buildings, I have to sell ppv's. What the NWA represents is far more important than any individual talent. I have to defend this first. So if that makes me emotional, yeah I'm emotional about that. Nick Aldis will have other opportunities, this just isn't it."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

The NWA Power era started so well. The news since the shutdown has seemed either bad or awful. Whenever I randomly check in I'm still fond of the aesthetic and presentation. That said, correct me if I'm wrong here, they seem to really badly need a head of talent manager (or whatever you call that position) - a JR in his prime. I sometimes daydream what would happen if you took the NWA Power simple booking and aesthetic minus the roster and added the Impact roster minus their cheap Raw aesthetic/bad skits/bad drama. Scott D'Amore may not be a great head of creative, but his ability to put together a roster in 2022 is pretty fantastic. On the otherhand, I admire Billy's persistance with the traditional style, but clearly his eye for talent is questionable at best. Knowing his musical trajectory it's not going to get better.

Their roster is fine, I would say.  They just have a couple of shitty things that raises it's ugly head every now and then- Tyrus wrestling, Austin Idol talking.  For the most part, the wrestling is good to sometimes great.  I mean, Homicide is having a wild resurgence with the junior belt and the tag scene is pretty great.  The women's division is comparable to KnockOuts, as Kamille is really upping her game and the women's tag title scene is really fun.  But yeah, Tyrus wrestling for your world title is hilarious.

• Like 2

Okay, now I'm thinking Billy's the new Verne Gagne, and I like something about that. Anybody else a regular viewer of the latter era AWA Championship Wrestling on ESPN? Is there a thread for that shit? Verne Gagne would have gladly taken 2022 Trevor Murdoch as his World Champion. And it would have greatly improved things.  Also, 2022 Bubba Dudley would be a great fit in latter AWA!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

@HarryArchieGusback when ESPN Classics started to airing the old AWA shows in 06 or 07 there was a thread on the old board. I couldn’t tell you if they still air on ESPN Classics or not, when I do flip through the channels Classics seems to be always playing early aughts College Football Games.

What I remember from watching those shows well one of the things and everyone on the board watching including myself agreeing that Jerry Blsckwell in retrospect should have had a World Title run.

29 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

@HarryArchieGusback when ESPN Classics started to airing the old AWA shows in 06 or 07 there was a thread on the old board. I couldn’t tell you if they still air on ESPN Classics or not, when I do flip through the channels Classics seems to be always playing early aughts College Football Games.

What I remember from watching those shows well one of the things and everyone on the board watching including myself agreeing that Jerry Blsckwell in retrospect should have had a World Title run.

I don't know enough about Jerry Blackwell. Jerry seemed like more of an occasional talent by the time I started watching. I have seen some highlights of earlier work and understand the fanfare. The AWA I was referring to is the post-Vegas-TV era run. Bischoff as head announcer. And the occasional treat like Bad Company-Tanaka/Diamond, the Destruction Crew or the early work of Yokozuna, but very little to get excited about. Unlike WWE I did stick with them to their dying days - including the surrender flag waving 'Team Challenge Series'. An awful show to be sure.

20 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Should've put in Tim Storm in his place!!

I actually have enjoyed Tyrus' bigger matches in NWA, but '74 needed a TV title defense too.

Bizarre, I don't know if this is a worked shoot or what.

Long transcript of Billy from Busted Open Radio on Aldis:

Reveal hidden contents
"In the case of Nick Aldis, yes your #1 contender for the NWA Worlds Heavyweight Champion Trevor Murdoch in St. Louis. I've dealt with this man for over four years and for every ounce of politicking you see publicly there's about 10x worse behind the scenes. No one stresses me out more in the NWA than Nick Aldis. No one is more highly paid than Nick Aldis. No one is more unhappy than Nick Aldis... I mean, I'm 55-years-old, I've got two little kids, I've got a musical life... This kind of junk, I just can't take it anymore... He is stripped of the #1 contendership, he will NOT be in the Main Event at #NWA74...

Listen, why this stuff has to play out in public, I don't know. I'm sick of it. I'm a public person... I've encouraged our talent to deal with these things behind the scenes. I'm just sick of dealing with this politicking in public.
Matt Cardona, who took a lot of criticism coming into the NWA, particularly from the NWA locker room... had bicep surgery, then that day held up the Worlds Heavyweight Title with his arm in a sling from wherever the hell he was in a hospital room and said 'I'll be at the NWA PPV in Knoxville.' He came and in the ring relinquished the title. He was concerned about the lineal succession of the NWA Worlds Heavyweight championship, does business the right way. I want people in the NWA who do business the right way. Matt Cardona would be the most obvious person to name, but he's not ready to go.

I don't have to shoot on Nick Aldis, Nick Aldis shoots on himself. What is the junk in this (most recent) tweet? Who is he talking to?... What are we talking about? He's the highest paid talent in the NWA. No one is more decorated in the NWA. No one is more celebrated in the NWA than Nick Aldis. Nick Aldis has been the face of this company since I brought this company back. As he likes to say, in the beginning it was him and Tim Storm. And you know what? In the past four years, Tim Storm has proven himself to be just as valuable if not MORE valuable than Nick Aldis because Nick Aldis wears the NWA on his heart and his sleeve. Nick Aldis is in business for himself. That's fine. I don't have a problem with wrestlers being in business for themselves. But at some point, I have to choose between their interest and my interest and MY interest is the NWA.

When people mocked me for bringing the NWA back... Look at where it was when I got it and look at where it is now. People take this seriously now for a reason. The NWA titles and what they represent, particularly to the boys in the back, are EVERYTHING to this company. I can't have one guy constantly going rogue. I'm just sick of it. He wants to blow himself up, he wants to blow me up, he can do whatever. He's a grown man.
It's easy to wave the flag when you're the Champion. Nick Aldis has one picture in his mind and that picture is Aldis up on a turnbuckle with the NWA Worlds Heavyweight Championship around his waist. Nick Aldis without the title is the grumpiest person in the world. Now, I get it if he wants to win but I'm not the person standing between him and the title. He will say I am. He doesn't like the way I run business. He doesn't think I should be having tournaments and qualifying matches. He thinks opportunity should just be handed to him. Let's not forget that when Trevor Murdoch was injured in Oak Grove, he stepped over a BLEEDING Trevor Murdoch to get to Matt Cardona. Let's be balanced here. I want a hard-charging Champion. I want hard-charging challengers. But at the end of the day, you have to rep this company. This is a different world. This is the 21st Century. I'm not dealing with this stuff. That's it.

When asked if he thought his feelings were getting the best of him in this moment, Corgan replied: "No. I'm making a business decision. We're in a promotional cycle now. What are we here to talk about? NWA 74, August 27th & 28th Is he promoting the event? Is he putting over other people on the card? NO. Even if you're not the Champion and you're the challenger, you have even MORE responsibility to represent the company.

... Nick likes to talk about other people's politics? It's in one of his nicknames, 'The Dealer.' He thinks he's playing cards here. This is some kind of elaborate card game that only he cares about.
I care about the NWA. I have to sell out buildings, I have to sell ppv's. What the NWA represents is far more important than any individual talent. I have to defend this first. So if that makes me emotional, yeah I'm emotional about that. Nick Aldis will have other opportunities, this just isn't it."

Just saw this and an article about Aldis and Corgan butting heads. Yeah, seems like a timely worked 'shoot', but not surprisingly it doesn't seem to be drawing much interest.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Oh Jesus, a triple threat match AND Austin Idol.  Man, this isn't going well.  Taya Valkyrie and Max the Impaler do really beat the hell out of Ella Envy.  Taya versus Max would be fun.  They both know how to lay it in.  They showboat the STIFFNESS while Ella Envy screams like a little girl and runs away from Max.  Envy drives Max into the ringpost!  Taya beats on Envy!  Max comes back in and mauls Taya!  Max pins Ella Envy.  Max versus Taya is the match I want to see.  It's Matt Taven and Mike Bennett- they are all over the place!  They were on IMPACT! just last night having a good match with Chris Bey and Ace Austin.  Here, they are in against Mecha Wolf and Bestia 666!  And Tim Storm replaces Austin Idol so I can simply ignore the commentating.  HEy!  It's Damien 666!  These guys have all been around the block so this is really good.  Bennett is the glue early as they elaborately set up the great tope by Bestia, the great tope by Taven and the BEAUTIFUL Tope Con Hilo by Mecha Wolf!  Bennett was landed on by Bestia first so he doesn't get in a high spot.  I love that Taven can roll with the really elaborate lucha sequences that Mecha Wolf and Bestia put together.  The ref loses control!  Damien comes in and lowblows Bennett and uses the MIST on Taven!  That was good.  All four of those guys can go.  Taryn Terrel vs Natasha Markova would be good.  Lovely CJ!  She is so much more interesting than Jake Dumas.  Eric Jackson doesn't last long.  CJ is oblivious and that makes her so fascinating.  Oh geez!  A fatal four way.  At least the tag match was normal.  This type of match is built to be a wreck. And it is.  The finish of this is already nullified since it was announced that TYRUS~! is going for THE STRAP~! against Trevor Murdock.  What a mess!  The tag match is fun.

• Like 2

Oh man! Taya Valkyrie versus KiLynn King AND Kamille vs Chelsea Green.  Plus Kaci Lennox debuts against angry youngster, Kenzie Paige.  NWA should SHOWBOAT the NWA Women's Division more often.

• Like 1