DVDVR Message Board

NWA (Current Version) Discussion

This episode is even better than last weeks.  Chris Adonis is good and has been good for like 15 years.  I am not familiar with Anthony Mayweather but he really holds up his end of the match.  I haven't seen the Pope wrestle since he was in TNA a zillion years ago but he dragged a good match out of Mike Knox- who IS good in a beefy bland sort of way.  The opening match is Mike Bennett being a dynamo as the Ricky Morton of this tag match.  The Fixers were great as your ass stomping heels.  Tim Storm actually had things to say this week so he is now 9000 percent better than Austin Idol.  

• Like 1

This week's NWA USA has Ricky Morton versus Austin Aries.  Should Aries be exposing himself to a senior like this?  It's a perfectly fine wrestling match.  Natalya Markova has a couple of overbooked matches that kill some time.  

• Like 1

Matt Cordona is AWESOME!  This match is so fun.  Trevor Murdock shoots for the cover of the Wrestler by spraying plasma all over the ring.  Matt Cordona will save the NWA!  Several stars!  Nick Aldis vs Tom Latimer is a good little I Quit match.  There is a perfectly fine 8 man with a cool tope in it.  Way to go, NWA!  Matt Cardona rules!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2022 at 8:42 PM, DEAN said:

The best episode since they came back to YouTube.  Colby Corinoi vs Rhett Titus, 2 out of 3 falls, is really good.  Good build and psychology and shit.  Kenzie Paige and Chelsea Greene have a good match.  Chelsea Greene is such a superstar.  Kenzie wrestles beyond her 19 years.  The main event is really good- as Kamille continues her roll of good matches.  Taryn Terrel was a Knockouts champion.  Who knew? 

Longest reigning all time (until 2019)! Taryn was an awesome babyface back then, turned mid-reign, and has been heel in all her runs since. Finally got caught up on the last 3 weeks of NWA after falling behind. I love the intro videos of both Powerrr & USA, gloriously old school. Kenzie looked great here for sure. I loved Rhett winning his fall with a dropkick, so rare. Kamille/Taryn was definitely oddly worked but Kamille is seeming more of a tweener as of late.

Really good matches on these last few episodes. Surprised by the results of last week... the Fixers over OGK in the early start Crockett Cup and Knox/Pope. Mayweather winning the national title from Adonis felt like a big moment with that hot crowd, who seemed to be in to everything. Cool to see Aries vs. Morton even if it was only 5 minutes.

Cyon rules, love the mystery father storyline. Cardona/Murdoch was great and the closing angle with Aldis felt big time. Good stuff. Also Tim Storm rules on commentary all throughout. 

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 1

A clearing house episode where they show everything they got laying around that they haven't shown between announcing the tagteams for the Crockett Cup.  J Spade hits a nice Powerbomb.. Allysin Kay and Missa Kate have a good little match.  Judais wrestles some guy.  Nick Aldis and Matt Cardona talk about their match.  Hey Billy.  KEEP THE BELT ON CARDONA.

It's the NWA Crockett Cup Day 1 Pre-Show!  It's got a Captain Yuma match.  He is the Fuego del Sol of the NWA.  They have a four way tagteam play-in OR also known as a complete waste of Kevin Ku and Dominic Garini.  Hey, it's the Tate Twins!  Oh man, so many good wrestlers in an unwatchable clusterfuck.  THEN!  The Briscoes take on the Ryan Nemeth and Cezar Bononi of the NWA, the Now in a first round match.  It was good.  The Now has a guy who does a good Spinebuster.  It was a hint to an average main event of the inevitable ROH Dark.

Finishing night 1, this was a fun show with a lot happening and a real feeling of unpredictability throughout. Had a little bit of everything in different matches. Underdogs, upsets, comedy, some dominant teams, back and forth matches.... great variety. Only the preshow was a bit rough, that 4 way finish was horrible. Gold Rushhh/Strictly Business was ridiculous. Harry Smith makes a perfect fit to tag with Doug Williams. Nice performances from PJ Hawx. 

Definitely looking forward to night 2 with all the title matches and the tournament ending looks super solid.

Full results Crockett Cup Night 1:

Spoiler

PRESHOW:

*Magic Jake Dumas def. Captain Yuma (w/ Danny Deals) (4:45) after the Abracadabra

*The Bad News Boys (Brandon & Brent Tate) def. Violence is Forever (Dominic Garrini & Kevin Ku), The Rip City Shooters (Wes Barkley & Joshua Bishop), and The Heatseekers (Matt Sigmon & Elliot Russell) (9:53) when Brent pinned Garini with a rollup to advance to the Crockett Cup

*The Briscoes (Mark & Jay Briscoe) def. The Now (Hale Collins & Vik Dalishus) (8:25) after the Froggy Bow from Mark to advance in the Crockett Cup

NWA Crockett Cup Night 1 - March 19, 2022

Round 1

*Hawx Aerie (Luke Hawx & PJ Hawx) def. The End (Odinson & Parrow) (8:16) when PJ pinned Odinson with a small package. After the match, The End attacked Hawx Aerie, giving Luke a concussion and taking him out of the tournament. 

*The Cardonas (Mike Knox & VSK) def. Pope & Mims (9:55) when VSK pinned Mims with a frog splash after Knox hit the Knoxout

*The Dirty Sexy Boys (Dirty Dango & JTG) def. Aron Stevens & The Blue Meanie (replacing Kratos who had travel issues) (6:41) when JTG pinned Meanie

*Gold Rushhh (Jordan Clearwater & Marshe Rockett w/ BLK Jeez & Tyrus) def. Strictly Business (Chris Adonis & Thom Latimer) (4:21) when Clearwater pinned Latimer after hitting him with the TV title and a low blow from Marshe while Tyrus distracted the ref.

*The Commonwealth Connection (Doug Williams & Harry Smith) def. The Ill Begotten (Alex Taylor & Rush Freeman) (6:38) when Doug pinned Taylor after a powerslam/diving headbutt combo.

*La Rebelion (Bestia 666 & Mecha Wolf) def. The Bad News Boys (Brandon & Brent Tate) (9:00) after the Mark of the Beast.

Round 2

*The Cardonas (Mike Knox & VSK) def. The Fixers (Jay Bradley & Wrecking Ball Legursky) (7:03) when VSK pinned Legursky with the frog splash after Knox used the Knoxout

*The Briscoes def. The Dirty Sexy Boys (Dirty Dango & JTG) (8:20) when Mark pinned JTG with the Froggy Bow after Jay used the J Driller

*La Rebelion (Bestia 666 & Mecha Wolf) def. PJ Hawx (7:28) after a second Mark of the Beast

*The Commonwealth Connection (Doug Williams & Harry Smith) def. Gold Rushhh (Jordan Clearwater & Marshe Rockett w/ BLK Jeez) (12:52) when Doug forced Clearwater to submit

On 3/5/2022 at 1:24 AM, DEAN said:

This episode is even better than last weeks.  Chris Adonis is good and has been good for like 15 years.  I am not familiar with Anthony Mayweather but he really holds up his end of the match.  I haven't seen the Pope wrestle since he was in TNA a zillion years ago but he dragged a good match out of Mike Knox- who IS good in a beefy bland sort of way.  The opening match is Mike Bennett being a dynamo as the Ricky Morton of this tag match.  The Fixers were great as your ass stomping heels.  Tim Storm actually had things to say this week so he is now 9000 percent better than Austin Idol.  

Anthony Mayweather = Crimson from TNA.

• Like 1

Solid semi finals matches. Fun match/angle/continuing of the feud with Mayweather/Jax.... didn't see that coming until the post-match attack started. Liked the original finish coming out nowhere, that was cool. Too bad Mayweather's run was so short, his title win and initial retaining here was good stuff. Looking forward to where they go next with this long running feud. The Hex always come off great, badass team and another solid match from them. Would've marked if Rodney Mack won, but glad to see him involved still. 

Junior title 4 way was pretty good stuff. Surprised to see Homicide win it, thought for sure it was gonna be Aries since the start of the tournament but I dig it. Happy 45th birthday Homicide. Really good women's title match. Thought Kamille might lose it after the ref bump, but glad she did not as her epic reign continues and this didn't feel like the time or match for her to lose it.  Great Crockett Cup Final, both great teams.

Fun main event with a hilarious overbooked mess of a finish. Good show overall.

Full results Crockett Cup Night 2:

Spoiler

PRESHOW:

*Mims def. AJ Cazana (9:23) after the Big Strong Slam. 

*Cyon & The OGK (Matt Taven & Mike Bennett) def. Team Gold Rushhh (BLK Jeez, Jordan Clearwater, & Marshe Rockett w/ Austin Idol) and Magic Jake Dumas & The Fixers (Jay Bradley & Wrecking Ball Legursky) (12:06)
-Cyon eliminated Jeez after a DVD.
-Cyon eliminated Marshe via crossface submission
-Clearwater eliminated Cyon via pinfall with feet on the ropes.
-Legursky eliminated Clearwater
-Bennett eliminated Legursky
-Bradley eliminated Bennett
-Taven eliminated Bradley with a frog splash

*PJ Hawx def. Alex Taylor (w/ Captain Yuma) (6:37) via submission. After the match, Taylor destroyed Yuma. 

Crockett Cup Night 2 - March 20, 2022

*The Briscoes def. The Cardonas (VSK & Mike Knox) (7:46) after the Doomsday Device on VSK to advance to the Crockett Cup Finals.

*The Commonwealth Connection (Doug Williams & Harry Smith) def. La Rebelion (Bestia 666 & Mecha Wolf) (8:58) when Smith used the Powerslam to advance to the Crockett Cup Finals

*Anthony Mayweather(c) def. Jax Dane (10:37) via armbar submission to retain the NWA National Championship. After the match, Jax attacks Mayweather's knee with a turnbuckle rod and announces that he's cashing in his title shot from being on the winning team in the Champions Series..

*Jax Dane def. Anthony Mayweather(c) (0:31) after a lariat to WIN the NWA National Championship.

*The Hex (Allysin Kay & Marti Belle)(c) def. Pretty Empowered (Kenzie Paige & Ella Envy) (7:13) after Hex Marks the Spot to retain the NWA Women's Tag Team Championships.

*Homicide def. Austin Aries, Colby Corino, & Darius Lockhart (9:43) via Cop Killa on Colby to WIN the NWA Junior Championship.

*Kyle Davis interviewed Trevor Murdoch, who expressed frustration about Nick Aldis stepping over him to challenge for the title. Murdoch talked about coming after Cardona. Murdoch then complained about the crowd cheering Cardona over him in their feud. Murdoch warned fans to pick who they cheer in the main event cause either one would have to face him. 

*Kamille(c) def. Kylie Rae & Chelsea Green (11:59) after the Spear on Kylie to retain the NWA Women's Championship. 

*Tyrus(c) def. Rodney Mack after the Heart Punch to retain the NWA Television Championship.

*The Briscoes def. The Commonwealth Connection (Doug Williams & Harry Smith) (13:54) when Mark pinned Doug with the Froggy Bow after Jay used the J Driller to WIN the 2022 Crockett Cup

*Matt Cardona(c) def. Nick Aldis via DQ (22:04) to retain the NWA Worlds Heavyweight Championship after Chelsea Green interfered and low blowed referee Jeff Jarrett from behind, Mickie James ran out to take out Chelsea, but then when Jarrett turned around, all he saw was Mickie so he assumed Mickie low blowed him and DQed Aldis right as Aldis had Cardona tapping out in submission.

• Like 1

Even the few NWA diehards out there can clearly see Tyrus has nothing left in the tank. I enjoyed the two nights for the most part. I was a bit surprised 

Spoiler

Commonwealth Connection made it to the finals. But Billy did book a lot of upsets.

38 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

Even the few NWA diehards out there can clearly see Tyrus has nothing left in the tank. I enjoyed the two nights for the most part. I was a bit surprised 

Reveal hidden contents

Is there that much Gutfeld!/Wrestling Fan cross-over?  I guess CYN is testing those waters.

Corgan needs to ride Matt Cordona like Crockett rode Ric Flair. 

Homicide vs Austin Aries is really good.  I haven't seen Homicide look this good in a while.  The Briscoes vs Matt Taven and Mike Bennett is really good too.  There has been a lot of Briscoes on the free internet lately.  Alison Kay and Jennicide is fun.

• Like 1

Oh man, the Homicide resurgence continues!  Here, he wrestles fucking Doug Williams.  It's good.  Kenny Morton has a fun little match.  Jay Bradley and Marche Rockett get into a match that is (unbelievable, I know) overbooked.

This is good.  Kamille gives Madi Wrenkowski like 95% of the match and Madi has really developed some nasty offense hanging around the Houston scene so it's good.  Kamille is also good.  She can sell credibly against Wrenkowski and made Madi look like an actual threat for a second there.  The Cardonas, which is Mike Knox and the underrated VSK, beat two dudes and it's good.  Nick Aldis gets all squashy.  The main event is surprisingly good.  Mecha Wolf and Bestia 666 take a beating from the End, who are good at beating some heat onto our world champions.  The Briscoes are on commentary and they sound like my cousins, which would make them hilarious in a hick way.  The comeback by Mecha Wolf is pretty awesome and the finish is innovative and neat 

Spoiler

as one of the End crushes the skull of the other member by using his fat!

BRAVO, little NWA!  You were enjoyed!

Man, Caprice Coleman looks as young and spry as when we used to drive to North Cackalacky to see OMEGA in 1998.  His finisher is super impressive.  Alex Taylor is your El Serpentico of the NWA.  Natalya Markova works stiffer than Masha Slamovich and, unlike Slamovich, she tends to stretch out her matches so she can beat the life out of opponent,  This week, it's 20 year old Riley, who is quite the looker, not that I notice these things.  Markova's finisher, a spinning kick to the face in the corner, is way nastier than Slamovich's Northern Lights Bomb.  So, if you are a green gal looking to break into the business by getting crushed by a Russian,  go to IMPACT! and avoid NWA.  So yeah, this was awesome.  Big Strong Mims keeps playing AJ Cazana's buns like bongos.  So Mims is my new favorite wrestler in the NWA.  This match was good.  AJ Cazana has a good elbow drop and is a total throwback to a territorial heel.  He's physically hideous like Bruiser Bob Sweetan.  So yeah, I dug it.  NWA! That's, what?  SIX GOOD EPISODES IN A ROW!

Uneven episode this week.  Tim Storm versus Matt Cardona was good.  Cardona is a GREAT NWA champion.  Rhett Titus is having a rough month but he looks good against Darius Lockhart.  The finish was shitty, in that the NWA is all about tradition and the NWA traditionally had some pretty shitty finishes.  Trevor Murdoch hits a fucking beautiful piledriver.  Titus and Cyon have a bodyslam challenge!  It's godawful!  The best thing on the show is the Briscoes challenging for the belts.  Somehow, they have chemistry with May.  

• Like 1

This episode was pretty good.  Colby Corino versus fucking MIKE JACKSON is awesome.  Jackson is a very spry senior citizen and Colby Corino works around his limitations of being fragile and elderly.  Several stars!  Ariya Daivari versus Sal Rinauro is really good, which is odd considering I've never really noticed Rinauro before.  The main event is fun as the Fixers wrestle as babyfaces against Marche Rockett and Jax Dane since everybody hates Jax Dane.  I noticed in cagematch.net that Dane did a couple of tours in New Japan. Who knew?  (It now dawned on me why Rylee Rockett wrestled as simply "Riley" last week.  They do not have the AEW rule and have to make sure that two people don't have the same last name.)  Good little wad of wrestling to make up for a crappy episode of NWA Powerrr.

Tim Storm is forever the best. Fun little match with Cardona. Rhett/Darius finish was odd but interesting way to progress things. Always thought Chris Adonis was an underrated babyface if he's leaning that way now, him and Jax feels like it could be a good pairing as opponents. Aron Stevens suddenly being serious again at first was random.  Austin Idol and the Secret! 

Mike Jackson always rules. Ariya Daivari looked good, but I dunno about him against Aldis that quick. Fun solid episodes.

• Like 1

Nick Aldis tries to talk my ASS THROUGH THE DOOR!  I don't know if there is a match up in NWA that would get me to buy a PPV.  Some stuff comes close.  The Dirty Sexy Boys (Bois?  BOIZ?)  Harry Smith!  Allright!  Tagging with Doug Williams.  DSB do a little dance before hitting a double elbow drop, which we are lacking in wrestling these days.  I haven't seen Harry Smith since he left MLW.  Oh, Williams and Smith are heels!  I can't imagine anyone rooting against them. 

Spoiler

Doug Williams wins with a Cattle Mutilation! 

Harry Smith looks great. 

Spoiler

AUSTIN IDOL IS CYON'S FATHER!  As long he isn't commentating, I back Idol's play one hundred percent. 

Allright! Natalia Markova versus KiLynn King!  YEah, they are working Markova STIFF!  Goddam, Markova will fucking lay it in,  This match is fucking great. 

Spoiler

KILYNN KING WITH THE EXCALIBUSTER FOR THE WIN!  I want a rematch!  That was STIFF!

The best match I've seen Markova have.  This is behind the King/Martina Tucker matches in the pantheon of King matches, but it is right up there for a studio match.  King vs Kamille!  BOOK IT, BILLY!   Mecha Wolf is good on the mic, and he tries to talk me through the door by starting up about the Briscoes.  That would prolly be the match that would tempt me to buy a NWA PPV the most but they aren't FTR so I don't see it happening.  The main event is the Fixers and Colby Corino against three choads under the Sinister Minister.  Sal Rinauro is your super worker of the Miserably Faithful (?).  Colby sells a lot as I guess they are the faces?  Corino used brass knuckles to beat a 72 year old man SIX DAYS AGO.  Cannonball Lizursky gets the hot tag and.... this match is fun.  I'm not made of wood. 

Spoiler

And the Miserably Faithful beat the Fixers?  Sure, why not!  WHY NOT!

This episode was waaaaaaay fun.  The KiLynn King/Natalia Markova match is the best match but the other two matches are fun tag matches.  HUZZAH!  NWA!  Oh there's more!  The Pope versus Matt Cardona!  Pope looks great.  Matt Cardona is sooooooo GREAT.   He is so much bigger time than everybody else in the NWA.  CArdona work an old school NWA Champion match and I am weepy and nostalgic.  I love Cardona openly cheating because he knows the title can't change via disqualification.  Cardona makes Pope look like a million bucks.  Cardona takes a NICE Superplex.  Cardona is so great because he doesn't give a shit about the annoying RESPECT and TRADITION that the NWA rambles on about.  I remember the NWA in the 1970s and it was about the Anderson Brothers beating the shit out of people and Wahoo McDaniel bleeding like a freak.  POPE PROCURES A SHARPSHOOTER!  This match is great. 

Spoiler

CARDONA CHEATS TO WIN!  YESSSSSS!

So fucking good.  Velvet Sky losing her shit because Cardona is the sleaziest human being (kayfabe) to hold the belt is hilarious.  You know Ric Flair held this title forever, right?  This episode is great.  Watch all of it.

• Like 1