DVDVR Message Board

NWA (Current Version) Discussion

Considering today's news from Georgia.. I'm guessing that the only thing stopping Corgan from trying to run tapings is that GPB isn't gonna let them use the studios. But, Billy Corgan is either enough of a conspiracy guy to think that this all bullshit, or he's a conspiracy guy who is afraid of germs. Not sure which.

But I'd think a studio of some type is small enough that you can actually have a few people in there, provided they're kept apart in their seats. Run it like a sparsely attended Memphis taping or something. No bleachers. Everybody gets their own chair.

21 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

I can see why they haven't had Kamille talk before today: her voice has this weird quiver to it, and you can tell she's trying to keep her southern twang under control.

She definitely needs to keep working on her promo skills for longterm success.

agreed. that southern drawl really shone through but you could hear her fighting it.

it was good to see the NWA get back to some semblance of a normal schedule. sad to see the next episode isn't going to air until May. 

The southern drawn was weird but I did like that the only time you see her speak on camera is when she's giving a short but sweet threat to the division.  I liked her backstory but quick soundbites might be the way to go for her when doing shows.  Either that or just let her actions do the talking but either option works for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Super Power:

Never got around to reviewing episode 20. I don't know when imma get to it being there isn't much spare time nowadays so here I am reviewing Super Power.

seeing an audience again was cool. I know this was taped back in January and was suppose to air in the middle of March, then the world stoped turning.

This audience loved Marty they were loud for his promo. This is pure speculation but I think had the world not stopped Marty was walking out of Crockett Cup as NWA Worlds Champ.

Kamille completely destroyed that poor women, talk about an impressive debut. I really liked the video package, learned alot about her backstory and what makes her tick, great story development. Also how great was it she stuck it to Joe Galli by finally speaking but on her own terms take that Galli! I don't know if Kamille will be the won to take down Thunder Rosa but they certainly seem(ed) to be gearing towards a big push for Kamille.

Mooney is ageless and it's cool to see him here with Rock n Roll which as he states in is first interview with the two. Rock n Roll may not be ageless but they are timeless, they've been one of the shining moments of Powerrr, talk about a career resurgence. Ricky talks about the Crockett Cup which makes me sad as The Crockett Cup date came and went. Stupid Covid.

Ah Mongrovian Karate how I've missed thy. Shooter Stevens is an absolute treasure, comedy gold. I love the tough guy but really a chicken shit gimmick he's doing, the gi is the icing on the cake. Not much wrestling in this but thats perfectly fine it was entertaining. The joke of Question Mark Jr being larger than QuestionMark was funny. It was clearly Milonas under the hood but if they are to go further with the QM Jr gimmick which who knows at this point. Stupid Covid. I'd like to see somebody not already on Powerrr go under the hood, it cant be hard to find a big fat indie wrestler in Atlanta. Josephus as QM works cuz we all know and Josephus is so inconsequential to the show but QM is maybe 2nd or 3rd top babyface so it works. But if they make this thing a 3 on 3 with Trevor and RnR vs Shooter QM and QM Jr It should be somebody new. Murdoch chasing Jr who blows up after taking 20 steps get it cuz he's fat causing Shooter to briefly take his eye off of Ricky leading into The Robert shoves Shooter who trips over Ricky into a school boy Finish which was such a ridicules finish that I loved it!

Alright I need to watch Episode 20. Spoiler but Zicky Dice beat Ricky Starks for the Television Title on Episode 20. Also i've said it before and i'll say it again but The Larry Sanders approach to the Studio being shot one way and backstage being shot another. Zicky in focus in the foreground with the out of focus background is a fucking cool and unique visual for a wrestling promo and Zicky can cut a promo dude. He licked the fucking belt he's a sleazy dude.

Melina may look better at 40 than she did in her 20's. I like a mature women. Now that I'm back from my cold shower, I appreciated the refresher course on Thunder-Melina-Kay that the video package provided. The interview segment was a ton of fun. Starts with Melina staking her claim at the belt, Alysin Kay comes out stakes her claim and then Thunder Rosa comes out says she will take them both on (she's hardcore). And it looks like the 3 way for the Women's Belt with the official face turn for Thunder was gonna happen at at The Cup. That sucks that would have been a fun 3 way. If or When NWA comes back I really hope its The Crockett Cup or we get four weeks of YouTube to promote the show a little but a really wanna see this show. We are about halfway through the show but I guess they've already sold me on the PPV. 

We got a VP reminding use Tim Storm is the most honorable man to ever live almost to a comical level before the match with Jax Dane. Was the set up on Episode 19 or 20 Cuz I remember it with Danny Deals bringing out his heater, the big Jax Dane aka the man ROH hyped up for a Survival of the Fittest with a video package for him on TV and then never showed his match on TV actually never showed a match of his he wrestled 3 more times for ROH 4 times total all in Texas. Getting back to my point I may have seen a portion of Episode 20. Jax Dane is the man Tim Storm beat to become the NWA World Heavyweight Championship so they have a history. The ghosts of Tim Storms past have returned. The match was good. The No DQ Match seems to be THE gimmick match of the NWA they've had 3 on Powerrr now. Where does this rank? I don't know, Kay vs Thunder may be the the best but I remember liking Anderson vs Drake but Dane Storm was good. I liked Dannys Tony Falk T-Shirt, Dane ambushing Tim Storm at the entrance, Tim Storm waiving on his way out looking like a dweeb only to get punched in the face. Every Powerrr No DQ match has involved a brawl into the crowd, gotta get use outta that spotlight somehow. That had to be hard way Jax got cuz cuz there was so little blood they'd have been better off with no blood. Gotta give it to Tim Storm after no bumps from either man for 7 minutes or an 9 minute match Tim took a belly to back on the outside. I did also like the heel wedging the chair in the turnbuckle ending up taking Russian Leg Sweep into the chair followed by eating the Faces finish for the 3. Tim Storm winning is always a nice surprise. I forgot that the stip to Storm winning was five minutes in the ring with Danny Deals. I like the "Tim Is Gonna Kill You Chant", the lasting legacy of the Samoa Joe ROH Title run. Danny Dressed up like Mama Storm and get Perfect Stormed for his troubles. Then Tim hits an encore to please the crowd. With how this ended and Dane leaving Danny hanging I wonder if this is the end of Mama Storm ... or maybe it was just the beginning.

May's Vlog is back and I couldn't be happier. Royce isn't that good of a boyfriend Sal's the right guy for May. She seems to be realizing this as she's not cool with Royces jealousy. But its also about her loss of followers. I'm a big May Valentine fan. 

The Women's Three Way; first thought that popped into mind is that this is most likely Tasha Steelz last NWA appearance as she has recently signed with Impact. While i'm on the topic, this promotional rivalry between NWA and Impact is funny to me. First Anderson is axed and doesn't even do the favors on the way out over a booking that didn't even come into fruition and now Tasha is seemingly signed out from under the NWA. There's no real reason for them to be at odds, other than the two instances I just mentioned. I do think it's on Corgan and Lagana's side as a different company owns Impact now from the time when they worked there, but hey deep wounds heal slow. The match, it was good, short about 4 minutes I would have liked to have seen it a little longer. Corgan being the ECW fan that he is I'm surprised that the three ways in NWA are not Three Way Dances with eliminations ECW Style. That'd be cool, would have extended this match, Tasha pins Marti at for minutes then she goes 3 or 4 more minutes with Ashley giving us a longer match. In retrospect I'm sure Tasha wouldn't have gone over. Had everything went according to plan I'm sure this would have resulted in a Marti-Tasha feud that was born out of this. They teased it with Marti standing on the apron and Tasha telling her to get this smoke or not being able to handle this smoke at the beginning of the match.

Kingstons still feuding with Pope. The Bouncers turned on Eddie Kingston on Episode 19 I saw that. I'm liking this Pope's Army vs Boogie Woogie Kingston feud going on but they gotta add some more members to the congregation. Kingstons cuts a really good promo where he talks about his history with Storm and Drake in TNA without mentioning TNA by name but then mentions ROH later on, so you know which companies have a working relationship and the ones don't. Storm and Drake cut good promos too. They are fun as Tag Champs it sucks we haven't been able to see more.

That VP of Aldis and Marty's feud got me sad cuz I think Marty was walking out of Crockett as NWA Champ it can still happen but it was gonna happen in April. The build was really strong it's still a compelling feud. The Main Event was Aldis and Latimer vs Scurll and Brody King. Baby Hebner was the ref so this was a big deal in the Powerrr Realm. The match was really good. Had a ton of heat with the crowd. That Studio sure does seem to have a blast at these things. Marty tricking the ref with that phantom kick was awesome. A play right out of Eddie Guerrero's book. Turnabout is fairplay however as Aldis and Latimer actually did do the dirty work in the corner with the refs back turned to Marty. I liked Brody's Piledriver on Aldis. Dude when the finally run Marty vs Aldis 2 the way all this went down at the end with Kamille distracting Marty from applying the Chicken Wing in on  Aldis that Aldis is going to win with a chicken wing. Royce is a trooper not only is his girlfriend mad at him but he took an umbrella to the head, then Marty dives on him and starts punching him in the face Royce Isaacs is having a bad day. The finish has me hoping we see a Brody King vs Thomas Latimer match at some point. I'm kind of hoping we get an 8 Person Elimination Match between Strictly Business vs Villian Enterprise on Powerrr at some point. Shit does VE have a kinda sorta 5th Member like Strictly Business has with Big Poppa Pump so we can have a true 5 v. 5 Survivor Series Match.

Billy's State of the Union has me optimistic that Powerrr will eventually come back, I'm interested in what Carnyland is but I really hope it isn't a Southpaw Regional Wrestling ripoff.

The show all together was really fucking good. I've really missed Powerrr over these last two months. Aside from AEW, NWA is my favorite promotion right now or pre Virus 2020. New Japan has been bumped down to Number 3. I'll see ya'll back for Carnyland.

Here's the Jax Dane VP:

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, alstein said:

Looks like Ricky Starks quit the NWA. 

My guess is AEW bound- because otherwise it doesn't make sense.

Considering he's been on Sammy's vlog a few times it doesn't surprise me.  But while I'm sure he'll be great in AEW he was pretty damn phenomenal in NWA.  I guess with tapings not going on for quite some time it's hard to blame him though I hope to see him back in NWA somehow once things call down.  Like Web Conn said stupid COVID.

1 hour ago, alstein said:

Looks like Ricky Starks quit the NWA. 

My guess is AEW bound- because otherwise it doesn't make sense.

Dude is a money promo and character. I'm for it.

Carnyland 001 - "A Long Way From NWA Powerrr":

This is um ... something else. I like Tim & Eric so I liked this. I don't know if I can explain what it was but I liked it. They are poking fun of the more carny side of pro wrestling in a subversive way, I can get behind that. Theirs segments i'd like to see more of, I dug Nick Aldis' story of being carnied by a promoter, I won't spoil anything but a promoter in Tennessee ( an NWA affiliate) tried to stick Aldis with the hotel room. I'd like it if its just roster members tel;ing stories of the old NWA regime of the early to mid aughts. I've seen that promo Allysin parodied 100 times. Marquez with the Carny Translator was funny.  So true. Tim Storm giving us Carny history lessons every week i'm all for. Learning all the irreverent facts about Benjamin Franklin was funny. Josephus in the white suit and captains hat is one step closer to  the psychotic mystic he once was and i'm all for it. I'm grateful for the Mongrovian history lesson. Galli and the Voice of Stu Bennett as the hosts are fun, Galli really is everyones favorite punching bag. Entice Zicky Dice dude what a dating game this is. Fiona was not interested. The use of the green screen and all the wacky effects is a great way to get everyone to be able to film from home during Covid also a good way to cut from one segment to another. I'll watch this every week it's a great device to keep people over and to show different facets of their personalities without being in front of a live crowd. Oh another what an awesome promo from Eddie Kingston in the could open. He could read the phone book and it would be captivating.

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 1

re: Carnyland. 

yeah, it was fine. a collection of short skits and promos for upcoming YouTube podcast-style shows.
Nick Aldis' story was my favorite. Question Mark is one of my highlights of NWA Power, but this "history of Mongrovia" seems like a waste of time. 
i probably won't be checking this out every week. Somebody @ me if something really cool or noteworthy happens. 

I enjoyed it. It was lighthearted fun. If it was an hour, that would probably be too much but 25-30 minutes is easy to sit through. Kinda like a Saturday Night Live with the NWA's characters. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Peck said:

I enjoyed it. It was lighthearted fun. If it was an hour, that would probably be too much but 25-30 minutes is easy to sit through. Kinda like a Saturday Night Live with the NWA's characters. 

From what I saw of it recently I dare say NWA smokes SNL when it comes to quarantine episodes. 

And yes I'm a fan of Carnyland. I'll watch this weekly though we'll see about the other weekly shows. 

I watched Inside the NWA with Lagana and Corgan, while nothing new was really announced how could it be we are at a stand still. The two biggest take aways for me are that Ken Anderson isn’t necessarily fine with the company, he was working hurt and they wanted him 100% for the angle they were gonna start at the January Tapings, the doors open for Anderson to return, I thought him getting 86ed for taking a booking during Mania Weekend sounded a little fishy. Also Both Lagana and Corgan spoke highly of EC3 so smart money would be on Ethan showing up once they get back to running shows that’s cool I like EC3, him in his tailored clothing cutting promos in the GPB Studio is gonna be tight I think he’d fit the show like a glove. Actually there’s 3 take aways, Lagana started working on a I’m only saying this cuz he brought it up by name a Last Dance influenced doc on the first 3 years of this incarnation of NWA. So October 2017 when Billy bought the company to October 2020 when Powerrr debuted. Lagana mentioned getting 18 hours of interview footage with Nick Aldis. He also said once the works starts spinning he’s gonna interview Billy and Tim Srorn amongst others so we are probably a year out from that. They didn’t announce who next weeks guest was, so we’ll find out next week.

Edited by Web Conn

35 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Wouldnt that mean EC3 is doing Aldis' gimmick too? Would they be allies or enemies?

I was thinking that. Kamille’s the fourth member of Strictly Business so that’s sports full. Idk what he’d do. It all depends on if the run the Crockett Cup and Marty walks out as NWA Champion, then EC3 coming in and being Nartys first challenger might be the way to go. He runs out of the crowd attacks Marty while celebrating then on TV Aldis does an enemy of my Enemy Is my friend and aligns himself with EC3 then once EC3 wins the NWA title Aldis and the rest of SB gang jump EC3 and there’s the next feud.

If you liked TNA, and I did this is a fun chat about TNA from two guys who lived it. topics include Amazing red being an unsung worker, Eric Bischoffs comments on Storm having a boo-boo face when he was gonna lose, the Mickie James train angle and James cup of coffee with NXT and why he went back to TNA plus road storis and backstage talk. Really fun deep dive into TNA.

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...