DVDVR Message Board

NWA (Current Version) Discussion

NWA Powerrr Episode 19:

I'm digging Sean Mooney's cold opens. I like the control center bit keeping us up to date in all the NWA happenings.

Marquez brings out Tim Storm. Storm didn't win last week but he's not giving up. More Mama Storm talk, Tim is trying to take the high road but it's getting to him a little. Latimer comes out to rain on Storms parade. Latimer is playing "Mama Storm" as Tim Storms real mom I like it. Latimer says GD in his promo. No Mama Storm but Danny Deals comes out as corns it up and tries to apologize for the gag but he further insults Storm, Danny wants to make a deal says he has a tag partner for Storm. Crowd chants No, Storm wants to get physical with Danny, but Danny says make a choice tag or no tag. Crowds torn, Storm won't budge he wants to fight Danny. Danny says Storm and Dannys guy are gonna have match if Dans guy wins Storm has to get him an NWA contract if Storm wins he gets five minutes with Danny. Danny hints at who it is brings up Storm winning the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, Danny Deals brings out former NWA World Heavyweight Champion and TNA Alum Jax Dane. The get face to face. Jax Dane is intense dude. Well here's Storms next feud this should be good.

Nikita Koloff shills his Man Camp. Lex Lugers gonna be there, I will not be.

Marquez is interviewing Matt Cross. Cross babyfaces it up putting over the NWA. Remember when he had his voice deepened as Son of Havoc on Lucha Underground. He gets the crowd pumped up. He has Match.

Matt Cross vs Zicky Dice vs Ricky Starks - Non title. Cool to see Starks against two recent title challengers in like a second chance bragging rights match. Zicky makes a big deal about his fanny pack. Gimmicks brother. crowd chants "we don't want it", I like this crowd some goofballs do shout out stupid shit from time to time but  as a collective they are tons of fun, amped to be there and think of some pretty clever chants. Cross hits his springboard cutter he calls the Cross Cutter followed by the shooting star press off the top onto Starks, goes for the cover but Zicky tosses Cross out of the ring and steals the 3. Zicky celebrates like he just won a the World Championship, he's so obnoxious there's no way to not hate him. I'm with Smelly mcUgly the holding the fanny pack up like a championship a t the end was great. There was unresolved tension between Zicky and Ricky that came to a head in a brawl at ringside that was broken up by a suicide dive onto both guys from Cross. Match was short but they did some cool shit. They put more emphasis on Starks not being able to get the edge on Cross and Cross taking too long between the cutter and the SSP and it costing him the match for a second contest in a row. 

May Valentines Vlog is back. I'm happy. May's Dairy, Mays life is so amazing she says amazing a lot. Her and Royce still have problems, but they are good now and then we get footage of Sal and May hanging out all day. What ever this is I like it. 

Joe Galli Interviews Shooter Stevens. I love the whole chicken shit coward pretending to be a tough guy shtick Stevens is doing. Galli calls Stevens out for running away from fights and Stevens deny's it all. This is funnier then I can do it justice. The Question Mark and Trevor Murdoch are going to have a wrestling match tonight. QM come's out and says ka-ra-te and now we have our match.

The Question Mark vs Trevor Murdoch - This match was quick, Murdoch came out swinging and didn't let up. Rights and Clotheslines. QM went for a Mongrovian Spike but missed hit the turnbuckle, Murdoch used that to his advantage hit the flying bulldog for the 3. Match was just under a minute. Murdoch looked like a worthy competitor for Stevens National Championship, so naturally Stevens attacks him from behind after the bell. QM gets involved in the beat down and it becomes 2 on 1. Stevens knocks Murdoch out with a flurry of elbows to the face. That is what makes Shooter Stevens so brilliant he's not a loudmouth coward who can't fight he can fight and fight pretty well when the odds are in his favor if he actually has to fight he rather run away. Murdochs problem is he takes one very fight head on and that was exploited here tonight. Murdoch had just beaten QM and thought it was over he turned his back on The Shooter and he paid the price.

Sean Mooney brings out Nick Aldis, Aldis is looking dapper and spends a moment letting the crowd check out his outfit. He must have been watching May Valentines Vlog, taking pointers. Aldis has been growing on me dude, him as heel has been refreshing he can be kind of bland as a babyface with all the i'm gonna bring honor to the championship shtick but as a heel he can come out and make excuses for his actions and dodge challengers for as long as he can like Marty Scurll for instance. It's taken Marty a year from one Crocket Cup to the next to get another shot at Aldis' Title. Marty Scurll after to previously recorded segments makes his in studio debut on Powerrr. Marty is all business he challenges Aldis to a fight and goes into the ring. Issacs and Latimer show up Scurll still wants to do it. Brody King shows up and starts swinging on Strictly Business, Villain Enterprises doesn't fuck around agents break up the brawl and Crimson shows up and does the most cartoony break it up gesture I may have ever seen. His hands are up he's yelling break it up he has on a suit put is sporting a mohawk it's pretty good. No PCO though he's be silent in this whole thing.

We get a recap of the debut episode of Circled Squared. It's Mooney's intro from said episode. nothing much.

Marquez brings up Eddie Kingston. Kingston has some fun with Marquez before calling out The Pope. This is short and sweet Kingston wants Pope to come out to ringside. Pope comes out. He says some shit a wrestler in the 70's would say so a lot of colorful nonsense but I think what Pope is saying he will fight Eddie Kingston when and where he sees fit and not when Eddie wants him to. Bouncers show up in Eddies corner but then Pope says sike and The Bouncers jump Eddie. Kingston gets hit with a blackout in the center of the ring. I didn't see the turn coming but I will say this i'm not upset by it. Pope is hiding behind this giant mountains of men as to not have to fight Eddie Kingston, Pope also showed he's a man of influence as he got Eddies friends to turn on him. When Eddie finally gets his hands on Pope he's gonna beat him up something fierce.

Mooney gives us a Powerrr update, more talk of Aldis vs Marty and The Rock n Roll Express are the first entrants in the Crockett Cup. Two title matches for next week Ricky Starks defends the TV Title against Zicky Dice and Drake and Storm are defending the tag straps against The Bouncers

NWA Women's World Championship Thunder Rosa (c) vs Melina - I thought the video package before the match was really good really explained the weeks of mounting tension between Rosa and Melina since Rosa has won the Womens Championship from Allysin Kay. Crowd loves Thunder Rosa, whats there not to love she wrestles her ass off every match and is low key about it lets the work speak for itself. This was more angler then it was match, they may not have even tied up. Melina slides out of the ring and talks shit from the risers as shes counted out. Allysin Kay comes from behind and tosses her in ther ring. Kay is then speared by Kamille from out of nowhere. The Show ends with Rosa and Kamille having a stand off. The women's division is heating up. Interesting to see where all this goes between Rosa-Melina-Kay and now Kamille, I'm sure a tag match of Rosa-Kay vs Melina Kamille is going to happen at some point and where does Marti Bell fit into all of this?

• Like 1

Yeah, George South was by far the best part of this whole show and I'd love to see him regularly.

Colby's promo came off pretty stiff and rehearsed, especially for the subject matter.

This is the first time I've really paid attention to the Circle Squared format - the general concept is fun, but every single one of the fan reactions is obnoxious and I can definitely do without Allysin Kay saying "good babyface promo" on a wrestling show. It seemed like South was the only one trying to kayfabe the whole time.

• Like 1

Grizzled Vet George South using the Iron Claw and selling it with the fingerless Blackjack Mulligan glove may be the best thing I've seen in years.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

They are showing Houston footage tonight. Probably nothing new for many of us, but still a good idea in lieu of new content.

that's cool, but i wish they would show the ill-fated NWA Showcase series that lasted like 10 episodes back in 2008. Dave Marquez owns that footage and it's largely unavailable elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

The best part is @Tim Cooke demanding Santo matches that they may or may not have locked up and Lagana complaining that he didn't even follow them on Twitter.

Okay that just made my day

16 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

MO

THER

FUCK

ER

You gotta be shitting me. That should be a matter of national emerg... uh, nevermind. Let's just say they need to jump on that ASAP.

6/14/74 Houston, TX @ Sam Houston Coliseum
Jose Lothario & El Santo beat Blackjack Lanza & The Texan
Ken Patera beat Lou Thesz
Red Bastein beat Tio Tio
El Gran Marcus beat Inca Peru
Ron Pritchard drew Frenchy LaSalle

11/29/74 – Houston, TX @ Sam Houston Coliseum
Jose Lothario & El Santo beat Black Gordman & El Gran Markus
Blackjack Lanza beat Red Bastien
Don Muraco beat Angelo Mosca by DQ
Scott Casey drew Victor Rivera
Al Madril beat Jack Pesek

3/28/75 Houston, TX @ Sam Houston Coliseum
Jack Brisco drew Jose Lothario
El Santo & Al Madril beat The Baron & El Gran Marcus
Lord Little Brook beat Bobo Johnson
Joe Leduc beat El Gordo
Blackjack Lanza beat Roddy Piper
Red Bastien drew Kim Duk

Obviously the stuff before 77 is far more questionable than the stuff after, but it aired and there's a good chance it could exist.

We HAVE the Littlebrook match from 3/28.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...