DVDVR Message Board

NWA (Current Version) Discussion

I can dig "I'm Broken" but am definitely sad to no longer have "Into the Fire". That felt like it had become part of this NWA's identity and it worked so perfectly as the theme. Hearing that to kick off the first episode last year was an immediate attention grabber. 

Glad to hear Tim Storm assure us that he's not retiring any time soon, great promo as always. Storm forever. Cross/Konley was a pretty fun 5 minute match after expecting a short nothing match. Thunder/Allysin good stuff again, a shortened version of their PPV classic. 

• Like 1

Eddie Kingston came out with my early front runner for promo of the year. I'm now invested in the Pope / Kingston storyline. Shooter vs Murdoch was good fun, and anytime Eli & Storm are on the show is an entertaining segment.

That main event though - damn. The women are legit in the NWA.  

Another incredibly great show. I will miss "Into the Fire", but throwing down with some Pantera will keep me quiet about that for awhile. :) 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Thunder/Allysin good stuff again, a shortened version of their PPV classic. 

I didn't see the PPV, but I thought this was pretty good aside from the loosest chinlock I've seen in the opening minutes, and a pair of questionable strike exchanges. Their individual strikes were good, but when it was time for the "Yay-boo-yay" exchange they might have taken lessons from Shane-o-Mac or the Dark Order.

Oh, and I could watch Eddie and Pope cut promos on each other all day. I'm glad they're getting regular work.

Edited by kafkonia
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I love how the crowd went silent when King said Homicide was the reason he didn't commit suicide. That's a "This shit just got real moment".

"I should bury you where you stand!" just sticks out as so awesome in a world where most promos are about how they hope they have the best match for the fans or how they're going to steal the show or whatever bullshit.  

• Like 3

Kingston/Lince Dorado had some intensity too. One of my favorite promos ever is Eddie calling out Lince in the rain for kicking out of the back fist, yet the fans still booed Lince.

The only thing I really didn't like on this episode was the Mae Valentine blog. Her presentation is a mix of crack whore/Missy Hyatt school of botched plastic surgery. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 2:51 AM, cubbymark said:

Kingston/Lince Dorado had some intensity too. One of my favorite promos ever is Eddie calling out Lince in the rain for kicking out of the back fist, yet the fans still booed Lince.

The only thing I really didn't like on this episode was the Mae Valentine blog. Her presentation is a mix of crack whore/Missy Hyatt school of botched plastic surgery. 

That's also one of my favorite Kingston promos.

• Like 1

That Kingston promo did indeed bring the fire.

I could also watch Allysin Kay and Thunder Rosa match up a thousand times. They've got great chemistry working with one another. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I could also watch Allysin Kay and Thunder Rosa match up a thousand times. They've got great chemistry working with one another. 

agreed. Allysin Kay has largely bored me as NWA champ, but both matches with Thunder Rosa were great and leaves me wanting to see more of both women. If she showed more of that i would be changing my opinion.

• Like 2

Tim Storm losing yet again is depressing. Melina/Tasha was pretty good, thought it was the best Melina's looked so far and Tasha got to be more competitive than expected. Weak finish in the main. No Powerrr next week as their "Circle Squared" tough enough like show debuts in it's place. 

This show had fat man clubbering, so it was automatically awesome.

Stu Bennett got me with some Heenan-esque heel commentator trolling: "Tim Storm's been hit so hard, he doesn't recognize his own mom." Got me to genuinely laugh there. 

• Like 4

I'm behind but here's Episode 17 - 

Eli Drake and James Storm are so awesome together, that commercial was so cheesy it was cool.

I dug the hype vid for the Rosa-Kay rematch at the start. 

The Pantera song is different brings with it a different vibe than Into The Fire did, maybe "Season 3" is gonna be more edgy and serious and less  nostalgic and silly.

Tim Storm cuts his ultra babyface promo, he's wrestling Tom Latimer next week. Kamille is gonna be ringside and theirs a history between Tim and Kamille no not like that you creeps, He closelined her and she speared him. Also Tim Storm has beef with Strictly Business the formed beating him up for crying out loud. Tim Storm puts Strictly Business as tremendous athletes only Tim Storm would put over a group of people who constantly insult him. The Highspots guy comes out dressed as Mama Storm so I guess they are still silly. Latimer pit him up to it. Storm goes off on the guy. Tim Storm is awesome he made this work, there was alot of Tim Storm is old jokes though.

Caleb Conley vs Matt Cross - Cross was on the Hard Times PPV and it's cool to see he stuck around for the tapings. Conley has been mostly enhancement talent but did have a good showing against Zicky Dice weeks back during the TV Title Tourney. Conley looked impressive, when he finally wins one the crowds gonna pop big, he gets pretty close then slips on the banana peel. Conley also showed off a bit of his repertoire, stretching Cross out a bit. Conley also hit a springboard DDT. Dude can hit MOVEZ.  Cross showing his veteran prowess his a springboard cutter out of nowhere then hit a shooting star press for the 3. They did alot of stuff in ring that hasn't been done on Powerrr they got a nice reaction from the crowd too. Ricky Starks was on commentary so I think he was scouting TV Title challengers. Cross may be getting a Title Shot soon. 

Aldis cut a pretty rad pre taped promo. Aldis is so good as a heel, he's not raising his voice he's talking calming and collectively but he does sound a little desperate, he's more afraid of Marty than he's letting on. Aldis also tells Marty he can counter offer on the Refund The Crowd if Marty Loses stip. Marty has to respond at ROH's Free Enterprise on Saturday. Be cool if Marty says Kamille has to do a sit down interview with Gali and answer the questions if Marty wins.

Pope can talk, he may not be able to wrestle but he can talk. Pope doesn't have kind words for Homicide. Eddie Kingston comes out wearing a Ghostface Killah shirt. Kingston is really cool. The promo Kingston cut was really good, everyone should watch it. Kingston got real as fuck and it was awesome. Beer City Bruiser and Brain Milonas make their Powerr debuts during this segment. Eddie has some back up at against Pope and the Dawsons now. Thats cool, the ROH partnership is turning out to be really good. Bruiser and Milonas looked like two big tough guys looking for a fight. I hope this al leads to Kingston and Pope in a cage six months down the line. Be real Crockett of them if Eddie brings in "an og" to partner with for the cup who turns out to be Hernandez, the finals end up being Dawsons vs Kingston and Hernandez, Hernandez turns on Eddie just as Eddie's about to cover a one of the Dawsons, The Dawsons win and Hernandez joins Popes Stable.

They aired a May Valentine Vlog. I don't know what this is but um I kind of liked it. Royce is a tad possessive but check out her outfit. I hope they keep doing these. Looks like Sal, May and Royce might be involved in a love triangle soon. Or not I don't really know but check out her outfit.

Shooter Stevens vs Trevor Murdoch - Stevens sneaks away with the National Championship yet again. He did it with a DQ at Hard Times, he did it tonight. Gali brought up when Marquez announces two minutes remaining that ten minutes seems a bit short for a National Championship Title defense. I'd love if they unravel a huge conspiracy of Stevens getting the time limit reduced and Murdoch gets a rematch with no time limit. Gotta feel for Murdoch as Gali said twenty more seconds and Murdoch would have been Champ. I like the flying bulldog as a finish its so old school its cool. 

Zicky's gonna do what ever the fans want of they get 100k more subscribers on Youtube. What would Zicky really do? if someone says light yourself on fire he wouldn't do that.

Sean Mooney has like a Control Center like segment where he talks about angles like Aldis-Scrull and the Lucky 7's Club. Effective device. Starks cut a promo backstage, love the way they shoot those. They shoot the backstage stuff on a different camera than the studio stuff ala Larry Sanders. Mooney also puts over Rosa-Kay for tonight and Melina wants to be next in line for the Women's Championship. Wonder what Thunder Rosa has to say about that?

Eli Drake and James Storm vs Jocephus and Mims - I was hoping well not hoping but it would have been randomly awesome if Mims was the Mims who had that hit "This is Why I'm Hot" back in the summer of 07. Like how weird would it have been if he went from rapping to wrestling and ended up on NWA Powerrr 12 years after his 15 minutes of fame? It wasn't him. I like that Josephus and The Question Mark are completely different people on Powerrr. Thats how it should be. Competitive squash, match went longer than I thought it would. both Josephus and Mims got offense in. Drake and Storm showed cohesion as a team throughout and I'm pretty sure this was the point of this contest. All in all a good showing for the Tag Team Champions. Joe Galli on commentary mentioned James Storms seven other NWA Tag Team Championship reigns 6 with Chris Harris and one with Christopher Daniels it was cool to hear Galli acknowledge NWA's past that isn't the 80's or the 70's but also strange to bring up TNA inadvertently if the rumors are true and there was so much heat on Ken Anderson for taking the Mania Weekend booking that both parties decided to part ways without Anderson doing the job for Tim Storm on the way out at the PPV and in the beginning stages of a feud with Colt Cabana.

They showed an extended version of the cold open with highlights of the first Kay-Rosa match from Hard Times which looks like it was really fucking good and has me pumped for the rematch. 

NWA World Womens Championship Thunder Rosa (c) vs Alysin Kay - More teasing friction between Rosa and Melina during this, Melina sat at commentary but didn't put a headset on she just scouted the match. Marti bell came out during the match and Rosa didn't want her out there. But the angle didn't overshadow the match. These two wrestled each other and in my opinion they put on a barn burner. It was a really fun main event. They grappled, they brawled, they got an NWA chant. Crowd loves Thunder Rosa she's awesome I wish i watched more Lucha Underground so I was more familiar with Thunder Rosa's work before Powerrr. They knew what they were doing when they aired the MMA vignettes, they were making a babyface. Rosa retained with a schoolgirl roll up as Galli called it. Rosa ices Melina and Marti after the matcha s the crowd chanted "You Don't Need Them". My moneys on Rosa vs Melina happening at The Crockett Cup. 

For all those on the Board who have no clue who the hell Mims is here's the This is Why I'm Hot video

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Zicky's gonna do what ever the fans want of they get 100k more subscribers on Youtube. What would Zicky really do? if someone says light yourself on fire he wouldn't do that.

No he will wear a pink fanny pack while doing the new white power hand gesture

85163326_2740786756002720_85537256211029

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Crowd loves Thunder Rosa she's awesome I wish i watched more Lucha Underground so I was more familiar with Thunder Rosa's work before Powerrr.

Actually you're not missing that much from her LU days.  As Cobra Moon she was more known for being a hot woman that seduced Daga at first then created a reptile tribe.  She was good in the non-wrestling part of things but her wrestling there was minimal and not the best.  Even seeing her in ROH over a year ago didn't show much when she teamed with Hollidead.  So imagine my pleasant surprise seeing her in NWA and being really freaking great.  I didn't know until after that match how much she was touring but it's quite a difference between her LU days and now.