DVDVR Message Board

NWA (Current Version) Discussion

On 12/30/2019 at 5:25 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Genuine question: Does anybody know what this means? 

He was reaching hard for a pun. The phase is more commonly said as "deader than 4 o'clock," as in 4 AM being the most dead-empty time of the day, and stiff being slang for dead. And yes, I had to Google the fuck out of this to unpack it.  

Episode 12:

There's a Momma Storm shirt didn't take them long did it? Aldis loves to poke at Tim Storm, Storm can't challange for Aldis' strap but that doesn't stop Nick from constantly bothering Sorm and I know that they are scheduled to have a TV title Tournament match but I don't know if that warrants Aldis interrupting Storms promo. This is kind of the Flair-Dusty of the promotion I guess, the big fued thats the cornerstone of the company or atleast thats they've been building it. Storm is so great he's 54, this has been his breakout year or since October, he's won over our hearts with his earnest in honest promos about hard work and determination, it took him 24 years to reach this point in his career and it's not lost on him. Techincally Tim . Storm has been under the radar killing it since 2017 with the Ten Pounds of Gold series but since Powerrr with more eyes on him he's been one of the programs highlights, when he finally shuts Aldis up its gonna be a glorious day.

Glad to see they are taking the Shooter Stevens gimmick serious with a submission style match against Captain Caveman Sal Rinauro. Should have been for the National Championship though that should be the angle that The National Championship is defended under submission rules as long as Stevens is Champion. Could lead to a face like Murdoch or Tim Storm or Colt to choke him out with a headlock and win the championship. It's a shame every MMA fighter turned wrestler  besides Stephen Bonner seems to be signed somewhere else cuz Colt bringing in a ringer the likes of Tom Lawlor or even King Mo to choke Shooter Stevens out and look foolish and would be a ton of fun. I could watch Shooter perform pseudo karate on enhancement talent all day. With that Murdoch run in at the end and the post match interview I think they are building towards Stevens vs Murdoch, I say bring in Bonner to train Murdoch in MMA and have Murdoch tap Stevens out with a triangle choke or something. Trevor Murdoch as the no nonsense everyman looking after the little guy is the best role for himand he has such a perfect foil in the delusional and utterly ridicules Aron Stevens. Trevor made Aron tap to an Indian Deathlock in a nice tribute to his mentor Harley Race but also it means that he tapped out the shooter making him look silly so I doubt this is over between the two of them. 

The Pope interviewing Outlaw INC was something, it was really short idk if they are gonna show this in segments or not but they brought up Homicide being a former World champion in Ring of Honor. I'd be cool with this being Pope's role f sitting down in the directors chair every week and having these sit downs with various talent. Great way to progress storylines and develop chracters plus Pope is charismatic enough to carry inexperienced talents through an interview. I know he declared he was looking for a table but he may have just stumbled into his role. That or this is all just building to the reveal of Pope managing Outlaw Ink.

Billy Corgan wrote and performed the Theme Song for Hard Time sit seems and I'm ok with that.

Unfortunately Eli Drake was sober but he still cut a good promo. Yeah is over as Drakes Catchphrase and I'm cool with that. YEAH! It's nice that they are keeping Eli busy with Ken Anderson and Colt Cabana and the like. Ken Anderson and Colt teaming against Eli Drake could be fun, atleast they are trying to pad out the tag divsion by pairing friends up as teams. I also like that Cabana brought up being a former two time NWA Champion just to stick it to Drake who desperately wants to be Champion. I don't know who they get to be Eli's partner but I'll wait to find out.

The Womens Division is shaping up dude. & women insted of 5 now, wwll 9 if you count Kamille and May Valentine. They did turn the Melina/Marti/Rosa stable into Mean Girls as they were bad mouthing Allyson Kay but I'm on their side Kay doesn't defend the title that much. This could have all been avoided if Kay wasn't so condescending when Marti asked for a title shot and what a little kiss ass Ashley Vox is agreeing with Kay but secrectly hoping all this brown nosing gets her a title shot but I wouldn't hold my breath Brock Lesnar defends his title more than Kay. I don't know what Girl Power is I want to the NWA website like they said but nothings up there. I don't think it';s going to be a Women's only PPV as they only have 9 women though they could bring more in IDK guess we'll have to wait and see.

Tasha Steelz vs Marti Bell was really good. There was some back and forth early on, I like when matches build and start off slow with chain wrestling and working over body parts not everything has to be a go go go spotfest. This match picked up got fast paced you know it was fun. This was my first look at Tasha Steelz and i was impressed she held her own against Marti. MArti's got a little mean streak to her does she not, stomping Tasha out in the corner. Steelz got the win and it didn't sit right with Malina, but Marti is the lowest women on the totem pole in the group so she's not gonna hear the end of it. Think this is leading to Thunder and Marti finally having enough of Melina and kicking the shit out of her down the road.

Next Week we are getting Zicky Dice vs Caleb Conley in the TV Tournament. I'm predicting Zicky winning. Speaking of the TV Title Tournament. The Main was suppose to be Tim Storm vs Nick Aldis but Aldis pulled some strings and subcontracted Royce Issac into the match like a true independent contractor. There goes my prediction of a time limit draw. But May Valentine was out with the gang this week so thats progression. Aldis' stables name is Strictly Business which I kind of like. Aldis plays all these Reindeer games with Storm and all Storm wants to do is shut up and wrestle you gotta love em. Storm gets the last laugh defeating Issacs and advancing in the Tournament. 

• Like 3

Tasha/Marti was pretty good. They had me hyped for another Storm/Aldis match but good heeling from Aldis getting out of it, good to see Storm come out on top for once he's the man and continues to kill it. I love that Billy made a Hard Times song for the PPV.

• Like 1

NWA Powerrr | Ep 12 | "Something Left To Prove"

No pre-show countdown this week; instead Powerrrrrrr launches with a package that underlines just how personal things have gotten for Tim Storm against Nick Aldis. We swing from Aldis keeping Storm's head in the game through Aldis's betrayal back around into Tim's killer promo from last week that made him the heart and soul, not just of the NWA, but pretty much of professional wrestling in general. It's a brief but effective package, reminding us what these two wrestlers mean to each other.

Out of the intro, Joe Galli and Stu Bennett throw to David Marquez who has Tim Storm at the interview station, Tim's wearing a Momma Storm t-shirt, and I get the mental image of Tim sitting at the gimmick table, signing 8 x 10s of him and Momma Storm, and can't help but smile. If this was Memphis, Momma Storm (all 95 years young of her) would be in the ring to smack the Champ upside his head before the feud was over. Storm makes clear his intent to wreck the Champ's shit. He addresses the point that the stipulation from his last World title match of never being able to challenge again was a gentlemen's agreement and non-binding, except as Storm keeping his word. Aldis making a fool of him clearly has him thinking that over now. Championships aside, though, Storm's present goal is to kick the Champ's ass. On cue, Aldis (with Kamille) step out and get in Storm's space, and Tim goes deadly serious, staring past Kamille like she wasn't there. Aldis, conversely is playing everything involving him now (the TV tournament, Storm's anger, Ricky Morton's disrespect... even the crowd's boos) for a personal joke, and Nick gets a good verbal jab on Storm and Morton as "Randy the Rams," all hanging on too long. Aldis ends the segment reiterating that his title is only belt that matters. 

You couldn't do this more perfectly for Tim Storm. He's as solid and respectable a babyface as you can produce in modern wrestling, and I understand wanting to get things clear cut and understandable for those new fans who are hopefully watching now, which I presume is the point of getting Aldis into full-on heel mode. I mean, you can't not look at what Aldis is doing right now and not make Ric Flair comparisons. The problem is, Nick ain't Ric.. but nobody else is either, so trying to be is a fool's errand. Nick's character of the bastard who did the right thing (mostly) because he knew he should, not because he wanted to... the bad guy who wants to be cheered and keeps a code of honor because it's what a good guy would do... it had depth and made him interesting. Now, we're edging towards "Shut up, fatboy!"-era Flair in Aldis's delivery, and he's going two-dimensional. But that does bring the narrative towards a more traditional face/heel dynamic, and that's certainly more likely to draw money. So I don't know... I don't want Aldis to be twirling a moustache and tying Momma Storm to railroad tracks, but it's probably going to do a better job of setting up a rasslin' match than thoughtful examinations of existential angst regarding his inner motivations as a person and a competitor.

I think the missing piece here is just what Aldis's motivation in setting up and turning on Tim Storm was, because it makes progressively less sense on the surface. Nick had, completely above board, maneuvered Tim into taking himself out of contention for Aldis's title. The only thing keeping Tim out of contention was being honor-bound by his own handshake agreement. Now, Aldis turning on Storm makes honoring that agreement moot. This is the only way Storm would go back on his word; if Aldis wasn't being honorable himself. Really, the only way it works, is if Aldis eventually reveals he regretted forcing Storm into the position, and saw pushing him like this was the only way to get him to push back. But that begs the question of why the hell Aldis would care enough about Tim to bother with all the manipulation. Hopefully there's an endgame here, and some solid motivation is forthcoming. I mean, maybe Aldis is just a dick and is tired of trying not to be... but make it make sense, y'know? 

Well, after that pontification, we return to Aron Stevens, wearing full Mongrovian kah-rah-tay gear and carrying the National Championship like a lunchbox, coming out for what Señor Marquez announced as a "submission exhibition" match with that young go-getter Sal Rinauro. Rinauro is well on his way to becoming the Lee Scott of the new millennium, as he looks only marginally more dangerous than Galli, who himself looks like 110 pounds of milk-fed veal in a suit. Stevens is, of course, booed lustily, and the crowd has officially adopted Rinauro by breaking into a "SAL! SAL! SAL!" chant at his introduction. Hoo-boy... Sal is going to be wearing a mask and calling himself The Ampersand by the next set of tapings if this keeps up. Bell rings, and Bennett quips that Duane Johnson just isn't getting any roles in Hollywood now with Stevens around. Galli meanwhile rightfully observes that karate seems like a really dumb thing to be using in a submission match, unlike, say jiu-jitsu. Stevens heels it up, stopping to towel off his hands after touching Rinauro at one point, getting a chuckle out of me. Galli casually mentions how he's trained in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and now I'm wondering how things worked out when he tried to throw a rear naked choke on a bully in junior high. Stevens looks like an adult playing with a child out there with Rinauro, throwing him around easily. If nothing else, as long as Sal is hanging around, Ricky Morton won't have the worst hair on the roster. Stevens starts winding up the crowd while Bennett simultaneously begins touting his immense concentration and skill, comparing him to Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. Stu is channeling his inner Bobby Heenan here; all it really needed was for Galli to throw in a "Will you stop!?". Stevens gives Rinauro a hope spot that Sal uses to break out into Flair-style theatrics before attempting a figure-four, and that ends about as well as you'd expect, with Stevens sinking in a Cobra Clutch on Rinauro for a tap out. Stevens keeps it locked after the bell, flailing Sal around until Trevor Murdoch comes in for the save. 

Interesting evolution for Stevens now. Apparently he really is picking up the Mongrovian kah-rah-tay, as he looked like a legit threat in the match. It was a far cry from Ricky Starks schooling him early on in their matches. Bennett is loving working more heel commentary in and Rinauro makes an excellent tomato can, so great job all around. Also, I'm begging for more insight into the extensive Brazilian jiu-jitsu training of "Shooter"Joe Galli. 

Murdoch and Stevens take their disagreement to the interview desk, and Trev cracks me up unintentionally when he calls Stevens out for taking advantage of a "young guy" like Sal Rinauro (who, if Wikipedia is to be believed, is a 20 year veteran and only two years younger than Murdoch, at most). It's wrestling, though, so we'll let that go. Trev calls back to Aron's interference in his PPV match, which leads to Stevens accusing Murdoch of trying to maneuver himself into a National title shot. Murdoch demurs on a title shot (would have been a good time to put over being focused on the TV title tourney, Trev) but would nevertheless quite enjoy partaking in the kicking of Aron's ass. Stevens furthers his BELTSBELTSBELTS Quest by insisting Murdoch put his berth in the tourney on the line to get the match. Murdoch, being Murdoch, agrees. 

We return to Murdoch and Stevens in the ring, and basically everything Stevens built as a threat against Rinauro evaporates against Murdoch, though he does get some especially vicious offense in in the middle of the match. Fun note, one of Murdoch's knee sleeves is torn and looks like he's probably had it since the WWE days. I'm hoping Trev's just said "Fuck it, I ain't buying a new one 'til I have to. This thang's fine." Trev is a pro, and gets over Stevens's Cobra (nee Mongrovian) Clutch as a threat by going straight for the ropes twice when Stevens tries to sink it. Trev finishes the match with a Full Nelson Slam to set up a motherfucking Indian Deathlock (!!) that has Stevens tapping out with both arms. Awesome to see Trev get a strong win, but again, could you shit on the National title any more, NWA? Murdoch just tapped the champ out clean as a bleached sheet after declaring he didn't even want a title shot. Have Stevens cost Trev his tournament match, and then put the National title on Murdoch at the next PPV after interference from the Question Mark backfires. Then you can set up Stevens using that as motivation to betray him after learning the forbidden secrets of Mongrovian kah-rah-tay. Stevens is great as the hubris-ridden heel, but don't shit on your #2 title just to further that. 

On to a clip of a sit-down with the Pope and Outlaw, Inc., apparently from a new web series called Powerrr Surge. Guess the nod from Dinero to Kingston last week was indeed a tease. This sounds like an extension of the low key, semi-out of character interviews we've had before like most recently with Marty Scrull, and frankly, I'm not liking the style. In the clip, Eddie Kingston is putting of a vibe of wanting to be anywhere but in that chair in front of a camera, and Homicide isn't much more interested. Maybe it's just me, but there seems like a hint of Pope trying to put a wedge between Kingston and Homicide, outright saying he could see Eddie as World Champion, and Eddie pointing out that Homicide HAS been a world champion. Judgement reserved until I see the whole segment, of course. 

Nice, subdued video runs, hyping the Hard Times PPV set to an eponymous Billy Corgan tune. I'm still a cheap bastard, so I probably won't buy the show. I know, some fan I am. 

We're back, with a quick cut to last week's tipsy Eli Drake, and now Eli is out with Marquez to do his shtick. The focus, between the call and answer stuff with the crowd, was Drake accusing Aldis of ducking him. Drake segues via the Aldis/Morton interaction into how he needs a partner to go after the Rock 'N' Roll's Tag titles. Interesting... we seem to edging away from Eli Drake, MegaFace, and moving back towards Eli Drake, Disturber of Shit, as he gives the Aldis/Morton non-issue a little poke and is in turn challenges the beloved old timers. Good. If Aldis is moving into a less nuanced character, I like Drake shifting back into territory that keeps me guessing about where he stands. We get some great continuity in this segment all around, as Eli namechecks his one-week tag team with Tim Storm, and then makes sure to shit on "two-time loser" Ken Anderson. This brings Colt Cabana, Earnest Man of the People, out to defend his buddy. Colt being just being a decent guy who isn't looking for a fight, but still wants to stick up for his pal, is great. Again, Colt Cabana is so much better when he's dialing down the goofiness and just acting like a relatable human being. Colt makes a point to not excuse Ken's part of the things, but seeks to quash their beef as settled. Drake, still on task, asks Colt to team up, which is a hard nope due to Cabana's loyalty to Anderson. Colt makes a point of underlining Drake's possible duplicity. "Sometimes I think, Eli, maybe you're not a good guy." Eli demurs on the point, instead positing to Colt that teaming with Anderson isn't going to lead to title gold. Colt turns it back around, reminding Eli that he's held the World title twice before, to Eli's zilch. Things are getting tense when Anderson walks out to join the conversation. Eli isn't backing down at all, but Colt continues to try to play peacemaker, holding Anderson back until officials also get between them. Good segment; it was a good way of keeping a feud rolling despite one guy taking two clean losses. High-five to whomever booked this segment out for excellent continuity. I'm actually interested to see where this is going when it could easily have felt like wheel-spinning for all three, and getting me interested in a Ken Anderson program is no small feat. 

Clips are run from another new NWA web series, this one called Girl Powerrr. Man, that's as lame as my ideas for Aldis's faction's name. They show a group photo of most the women wrestlers and crew all in matching t-shirts in front of a "Girl Powerrr" logo that would get Genndy Tartakovsky's lawyers fidgeting, then cut in to a segment with Melina Perez, Thunder Rosa, and Marti Belle basically having a shit-talking session about Allysin Kay. I'm tickled by the way they're in "casual" gear (Melina looks like she just had a shower and is ready for breakfast; that is by no means a complaint) but Rosa has her war paint on. Kay and the other faces are also sitting around, with Allysin looking for support. I'm still not a fan of this format. but certainly don't mind another venue for expanding on motivations. 

Transition to Tasha Steelz already in the ring for a match with Marti Belle, who enters with Melina. The announcers sell Tasha's "impressive" debut at Into the Fire, but all I saw was the finish of her getting beat by Rosa, so I'll have to take them at their word. I don't know Steelz… I'm woefully undereducated about independent women's wrestling. I'll probably repeat that every time someone new is added to the women's roster. Interesting: she's in her early 30s, but only debuted in 2015. Late bloomer. Belle works the match hesitant and unsure, but it's part of the gimmick right now, with her relying too much on Melina and her approval and not being her own woman, so I guess it's a feature, not a bug. At least it's finding booking that covers the weakness. Marti always just looks awkward to me, though. For instance, Tasha goes for a twisting neckbreaker that ends up looking less like Marti selling the move, and more like she just fell over. I mean, it didn't even look like she was being maneuvered or controlled by Steelz's neckbreaker; just that she moved entirely of her own accord. That leads into Steelz kind of doing an RKO around Belle's head, with Marti going down to her knees and rolling over to be pinned in an upset. It was just... off; like their timing wasn't quite there, and there was just enough hesitation in Belle's selling to make it look unrealistic. I don't know, maybe Steelz should have taken a firmer grip on the moves, but I'm not certain Belle would have flowed with the motion, and Steelz would have looked worse in the process. Anyway, the crowd at least was into the match and it told the story well enough, but the technical issues stuck out bad for me. After the match, Melina sells frustration over the loss with all the gravitas of a telenovela and bitches Marti out for the loss. 

Interstitials run, and mention next week will feature Eli Drake and James Storm vs. Cabana and Anderson vs. Wild Cards. Honestly, that sounds like a clusterfuck waiting to happen, but I guess we'll see. 

Bottom-tier backstage interview guy (Kyle Davis) and silent lawyer lady from last week (Anastasia Fletcher) are on a set with the TV title and the fishbowl to draw two more names for the tourney. Somebody in booking has a bit of a fetish for silver-haired silent ladies, it would seem. Fletcher was in the Girl Powerrrrrrrr photo, so presumably she's on staff, and not just a one-off from last week. Avatar of indy sleaze Zicky Dice and the remarkably underutilized Caleb Konley are drawn. 

Main Event time: Tim Storm is out for his revenge. Aldis and company come out (with May Valentine as well, this time)... with Nick still in street clothes. Apparently Nick's not having fun with this TV tournament thing anymore, so he's giving his spot to his teammate, Royce Issacs. Incidentally, we find out the faction's name is "Strictly Business." Well shit, I think I like my awful ideas better. Also, I guess that statement last week of the NWA banning seconds for outside interference during the tournament got forgotten about. Storm and Issacs have a fine little power match, with Storm hitting his finisher for a strong win, and we get a coda of the Rock 'N' Roll coming out behind Aldis to give him a little shock, then celebrate with the audience. If that isn't a set-up for Storm/Morton/Gibson vs. Strictly Business, I don't know what is. Anyway, credit roll, and we're out. 

Good episode; the stories kept moving and threads are being set up. Can't ask for much more three weeks out from a PPV.

Edited by Doghouse Reilly
stupid typos
  • Like 3

Popped for the Steiner reveal! Loved the whole setup with Aldis v. Morton. Tim Storm was fantastic in his promo as usual. Aldis/Starks was a pretty good shortened 'takes champ to the limit' match. Thunder/ODB was a real solid 5 minutes as well.

• Like 1

I like the mix of people on this roster. Aldis is a solid heel champion, leading a group of thugs. Glad to see Murdoch and ODB in action. I've soured on Anderson for a long time, and was never a Drake fan...but their rivalry is super intense and well done so far; also, Anderson looks like Dick Murdoch now, so that's a plus.. Women's division is showing sparks; they need another heel that can wrestle, though, as Melina is manager material. I enjoy the wackiness of guys like Question Mark and Zicky Dice, and Tim Storm is their promo king right now. Fun show. 

• Like 3

NWA Powerrr | Ep 13 "Who's The Third Man, Brother?"

I'm guessing this is worth spoilerizing for size. I'm not looking to annoy anyone with too much scrolling if they're not interested in the ravings of an amateur recapper.

Spoiler

A recap runs focusing on our NWA World’s Champion, Nick Aldis and his current issues with both Tim Storm and Ricky Morton… and finally, based on what’s focused on in the recap, I think Nick’s motivation for going full heel is becoming clear. Nick respects the history of the NWA, but now wants to make his own history by sweeping away the old guard, or more specifically, the past. Storm is his own personal past, and Morton is the voice of the NWA’s past, and both have stories that don’t fit Aldis’s personal narrative. If Aldis can silence the voices of the past, maybe he’ll silence the doubts within and become the sort of legend he craves to be. I like it… I like it a lot. This is story they’ve told me without my even seeing it properly until it’s been recontextualized here, so good on them for some sharp storytelling that works on multiple levels. With this, Aldis is telling himself that the NWA needs a strong leader and World Champion to lead it back to greatness, and that he’s got to do everything he can to push towards that greatness. He’s even let the darker impulses he’s kept in check during his time at the top loose. Somewhere along the way, he’s decided there can be no more room in his heart for sympathy for the old guard, and that pushing aside the NWA’s resident “Randy the Rams” he can remake the company in his image and ideal, and it’s nothing personal… it’s Strictly Business. Aldis sees this as the way forward, but it’s a selfish vision as it’s based solely on his own conception of what the NWA can be. It’s perfect heel motivation because it makes sense to the villain as an objective with an end that will justify the means, and every time Storm or Morton thwart those plans, it threatens Aldis’s entire self-image. God damn, this is some good shit, pal! 

Recap leads to intro leads to Joe-Jitsu Galli at the interview station who immediately brings out Tim Storm. Storm, making a subtle push back at Aldis’s digs about appearance, is wearing a nice suit and tie. Galli leads the interview asking Storm about the Television title and Tim adds a wrinkle to the tournament by letting us know that, in addition to the six wrestlers who make it through the qualifiers, there will be two open invitational slots. Tim posits that the two could be NWA legends or members of other promotions’ rosters, a la the Crockett Cup. Having dropped that knowledge upon us, Tim registers his disgust with Aldis for having dropped out of the tournament and robbing the fans of the match he knows he could have had with the Champ. Damn, is Storm an effective babyface. When he tells the NWA fans they’re the greatest fans in the world, and that they deserve the greatest matches, I believe that he believes it. He’s a veteran without being a legend, and there’s a gravitas to that because he’s toiled and worked through the NWA’s hardest times as a promotion. Aldis represents the fortune and glory of the NWA, while Storm represents the guts and grit. The NWA needs both to prosper, but the battle now is to see which side will have the greater balance. 

Kamille unceremoniously walks out and effortlessly shoves Galli aside, mid-question. She holds the mic high between herself and Storm, getting up in his face but still not saying a word. I really hope that when Kamille finally speaks, she has some ridiculous accent. Like, a hardcore Fargo accent, perhaps. Storm is understandably befuddled, but focuses in on Kamille. Damnation, how did she never get picked up for NXT? Tim only has an inch or two on her height, and she looks like she could her own just fine in any throwdown, though you know Tim Storm is above such things. Hopefully the NWA is general is; I’m not at all a fan of inter-gender matches unless Andy Kaufman is participating. Awww Tim, don’t turn your back to the curtain like that. This feels like the prelude to another beatdown. Kamille’s silence gets Storm talking about Aldis and his failure to give the fans the scheduled match. When Tim asks point blank “Is he a coward?” Kamille unloads a nice slap that picks up an audible *snap* on the microphone. Niiice. Tim is boiling now, while Kamille smirks, chuckles, and shrugs a “Whatcha gonna do about it, big guy?” kind of shrug. Tim keeps his rage in check, which Kamille clearly takes for weakness, and she walks away, cool and unconcerned. I am shocked this didn’t end in a beatdown for Tim, and pleasantly so. Aldis is playing mental games now with Storm and establishing he doesn’t have a counter for Kamille, who I presume will no longer be nearly as restrained as she has been previously in Aldis’s matches. Good segment. 

Interstitial hypes the three-way tag tonight, as well as the TV title tourney before we come back to the interview station, now with Dave Marquez, Anastasia Fletcher, Trevor Murdoch, and the Dawsons.  Marquez reminds us that Zane Dawson is nursing a busted hand after the conflict with the Wild Cards. Zane says he’s good to go, however. Trevor (who vocally is a dead ringer for Zane, amusingly enough) then tells us he feels there’s no one in the tournament he can’t beat. The fans love Trev, and you can tell he’s genuinely tickled by it. Anastasia draws a name, and Marquez announces its Zane Dawson. Hilariously, as soon as Anastasia goes in for Zane’s opponent, someone in the crowd reads the proverbial writing on the wall and deadpans “His brother.” Zane cracks me up by mouthing “Shut up… shut up,” at (presumably) the wag in the crowd while shaking his head and having the most “Jesus man, don’t be an asshole”-look on his face. Wonder of wonders, the opponent is indeed Dave Dawson. *sigh* Look, fine, there were only four names left in the bowl apparently, so mathematically drawing these two now is no big shock. But having them standing there while it’s drawn… well, it was obvious enough that a dude in the crowd called it. On top of drawing Storm and Aldis last week, it just stretches the belivability, y’know? Anyway, Marquez, acknowledging the last two names in the bowl being Murdoch and Thom Latimer, announces their match as well. Murdoch seems eager for a good fight, and confident of his victory. 

Quick pause and we’re back, with Zicky Dice and Caleb Konley already in the ring. Dice is taking his sweet time getting his fanny pack and other accoutrements off, earning a frustrated “He’s got six minutes! C’mon!” from Konley. Konley is arguably the most underutilized talent in the NWA now, and Dice is a golem made from wrestling sleaze, so this looks like a fun match. Konley is the superior athlete and leaves Zicky reeling after the initial exchanges, selling frustration and concern in the corner. Zicky pulls Konley down by the hair and gets his confidence back, playing to the crowd and losing his concentration enough to nearly lose to a small package from Caleb. Zicky evades a dropkick, celebrates, and then catches the next dropkick in the mush. Konley has control after that, again showing superior athleticism and a lot of confidence, mocking Zicky until He catches Konley off the second turnbuckle. Dice turns a bearhug into a pretty sweet overhead belly-to-belly bridging pin that Konley barely slips out of. Dice is deceptively strong. More power, as Zicky throws Conley from his shoulder onto the turnbuckles. Galli calls it Snake Eyes, but Zicky threw him far enough for it to be Snake Chest. When Konley slumps into the corner. Zicky runs in for Le Cannonball but misses. Konley continues to use his speed to dodge and counter throwing some pretty good hooks. Konley is good; he impressed me the last time he worked as well. He’s not just a MOVEZ~ guy, despite his size. Konley goes for a moonsault, however, and misses, which gives Zicky an opening to hit a standing neckbreaker for the win. Konley did his job and made Zicky look good here, taking his power moves and making them look hurtful. Dice’s throwback heel persona is fine, but he looked way too strong after the match, not even selling exhaustion. The same way he kind of left CW Anderson out to dry during their match, he does no favors for Konley, who gave at least as good as he got. More and more, it seems like Zicky Dice is living the indy sleaze gimmick. Caleb Konley deserves better than this; hopefully he’s under contract and this is just a prelude to something better than doing jobs. 

Back from break, Joe Galli and Stu Bennett set us up for Galli’s sit-down interview with Aron Stevens and the Question Mark. Ha! Question Mark is wearing Stevens’s robe and towel, as well as some shades over blue jeans, Nikes, and his mask. It’s a great visual, and if they plan to keep him heel, having Stevens “civilize” him is a good way to divest ? of some of that crowd support. Galli is an excellent straight man to Stevens Hollywood narcissist. Heh-heh… Stevens flubs a line, saying his “shift has focused” and is smooth enough for me to wonder if it was intentional or not. The gist of the interview is that ? is going for the TV title in the tournament, Stevens is planning for the duo to win the Tag titles, and Stevens himself has eyes for the World title as soon as it’s astrologically sound. As goofy as both guys gimmicks are, I appreciate that they are still focused on winning championships, like most everyone in wrestling should be. Galli does at least point out the lack of Stevens’s defenses of the National title, which Aron deflects, so hopefully there’s some awareness of how devalued that belt is in this current role. 

Back from the interview, Galli and Bennett introduce us to Women’s champion and guest commentator, Allysin Kay. Thunder Rosa is already in the ring and staring a hole in Kay. ODB is announced and out through the curtain, repping her food truck on her shirt. Interesting pairing here as the crowd digs both, and it’s always a challenge for a larger face to work competitively with a smaller heel. Rosa isn’t tiny, though, and brings the hate, so it shouldn’t be too much of a problem. Lock-up leads to Rosa doing some grappling with a nice, grindy little hammerlock. Rosa’s showing us she knows she has to build her case to win here. Knee strikes to the gut are traded and Rosa tests the striking water further with a (blocked) high kick. Blocked forearm shots from Rosa lead to a good shot from ODB and you can hear the ladies laying it in to each other. Niiice. ODB lays a forearm into Rosa in the corner, and Rosa looks daggers into ODB’s soul, earning a slap from her, and the atmosphere charges the fuck right up. The ladies are working stiff, leading to a chop exchange and an ODB forearm. They are not working this as a size or strength mismatch at all, and both are making it believable. Rosa moves into kicks, which are not blocked this time. Rosa confidence is building, but ODB was laying a trap and puts Rosa down with a stiff clothesline. Rosa is pissed, though it’s tough to say if it’s more at ODB or herself for getting suckered. She converts the anger into a drop-toehold, racking ODB’s throat on the middle rope, then bronco bustering the back of ODB’s noggin, again on the rope. Crowd is digging the show, and so am I. Rosa is back in control but ends up in a rolling exchange of fists with ODB. Around this time, Kay and Bennett’s commentary, which has been mostly Stu needling her about Melina, has gotten annoying as it’s almost completely divorced from a pretty fun match. Galli feels it too, as he steps on Stu a bit and refocuses on the match. Good on ya, Joe. ODB misses a running knee to the corner and Rosa just plants a foot in her face with a running dropkick to capitalize. Rosa is feeling it and makes sure to catch Kay’s gaze and sell who it is she’d rather be in a match with. Ah fuck, Stu is back to Melina with Kay, but Kay at least remembers to tell us that there’s a story here, with Melina having picked Rosa’s match for her tonight. Rosa’s kicks set up a choke, and ODB works her size advantage really for the first time in the match, smashing Rosa off her back into the corner. It comes back around into trading forearms, though, and again, ODB works the size advantage, dropping Rosa who recovers and goes to the ropes. She comes off right into ODB’s arms, who muscles her up into a fallaway slam. Rosa looks damaged, and ODB goes to the second rope. Well this won’t end well… nope, kneedrop into the canvas. Another running dropkick, this time to a kneeling ODB gets Rosa a two-count. ODB is looking hurt, while Rosa shit-talks her and fires kicks in. Now it’s ODB using the frustration, getting hold of Rosa and going for maybe a Samoan drop. Nope, Rosa gets out and hits a backstabber. Rosa feels the tide has turned and hustles to the top rope. Double stomp comes down right into the small of ODB’s now-injured back and the ref counts three. That’s a match to be proud of. While selling the finish, Rosa sneaks in a word to ODB, probably thanking her for giving her so much in that match. Crowd is giving a standing ovation to both women, and damned if they didn’t deserve it. It’s nice to have a crowd just going nuts with honest, simple cheers instead of some bullshit chant-and-clap thing. I was iffy on the NWA bringing ODB in, but that was well worth it. Finally, Rosa is up and again staring down at Kay and her title, and I’m looking forward to the eventual match very much. 

Interstitial leads us to the return of the fake ads! This is a new one, starring the Rock ‘N’ Roll Express running… a help line, I guess. Ricky Morton asking if we’re having trouble with our baby’s momma is pretty damn funny. Go with what you know, right Ricky? We’re encouraged to call 1-1-800-ROCK-ROLL to get advice straight from Ricky and Robert. It’s less gonzo than Waffles and Tar Arns or the Kayfabe Cocktail, but still chuckle-worthy; good pause and reset after Rosa and ODB tore the house down. 

We’re back to Galli at the interview station, who in short order introduces the World’s Champion, Nick Aldis. Aldis strides out with purpose but catches his step when he hits a wall of boos from the crowd. It’s an impressive amount of noise in the studio and Aldis does a good job of selling being taken aback, practically begging the fans to at least tone it down a bit, finally shrugging and just leaning against the wall until they get it out of their system. The ingratitude of these plebeians trying to reject his NWA must be staggering. He does, however, take umbrage when the “COWARD” chant breaks out, almost unable to believe what he’s hearing. Things only settle when Galli pleads for decorum (and I’d swear an edit was necessary… who know how long Nick worked that hot crowd). Galli is anxious to get to a literal stack of questions (he pulls out a pile of papers to prove the point). Aldis is suitably amused, and prompts Joe to go right to his favorite subject: Kamille. Joe wants to know why Kamille slapped Tim Storm, and Nick is kind enough to confirm a theory I had when Strictly Business formed, explaining that Kamille was indeed no longer his “insurance policy” and is instead a full-fledged partner in the team. Presumably this means no longer just stepping in to counter other wrestlers’ valets, and instead being willing to get proactive. Joe challenges Strictly Business’s tactics in regard to Storm, and Aldis reiterates his point that this is an effort to raze past relics, which naturally leads straight to Ricky Morton, “another carny trying to make a payday off my hard work.” Well now… crowd doesn’t like that. Speaking of tag teams, Aldis is annoyed at Eli Drake and James Storm suddenly tagging up and trying to jump line over Wild Cards for a shot at the Express’s Tag titles. Aldis reveals he was the one to put Wild Cards into the three-way match (odd time to tell us that) as a way of looking out for his boys and their interests as contenders. Well, Nick is free-styling now, turning attention to Ricky Starks. Aldis intends to prove dropping out of the TV title tournament was nothing but a whim, and that, contrary to chatter, he’ll have no problem working (and winning) a 6:05 time limit match, and has picked someone he respects in Starks to illustrate the point. Nick moves up to about .8 Flairhood when he reveals that the bedroom is the only place he wouldn’t get the job done in six minutes “Because I go all night… ask the missus. All night long. ALL night long.” Aldis not only wants to prove his point about his own skill, but wants to give Starks some shine, reminding us of how he declared Starks his number one draft pick. Aldis has to offer Starks a spot in Strictly Business at some point, right? Aldis compares himself to Oprah in his benevolence, and this prompts a chant of “Where’s my car?” from the crowd. Ha! Props to Nick for soaking that in without cracking up, and after a second, firing back with a jab about getting a license first. I love that promos in the NWA are damn near interactive at this point. You have to be on your game to handle that shit. 

We pause to shill some NWA gear. Get it while it’s still obscure enough to be cool, kids! 

Back to the ring, where our World’s Champion is loosening up for his exhibition match. Starks is announced and comes through the curtain looking intense but still confident enough to show some flash. Aldis preens for the crowd and neither they nor Starks are buying it. Lock-up transitions to headlock on Starks by Aldis who is thrown off but comes back with a shoulder block. Nick looks to psych out Ricky with a cartwheel over Starks and then propping himself up on the ropes for a rest. Starks briefly become the human embodiment of the eyeroll emoji in response. Aldis shoots Starks into the ropes this time, and Ricky puts the champ down by adding some momentum with a forward leap. Ricky then pops a cartwheel of his own, followed with a standing dropkick and some chilled posing of his own. Nice; Starks shows zero intimidation, luring in Aldis with his showboating with a quick roll-up for two. Starks is looking to transition into something out of a headlock, but ends up being shot off into the ropes again. An attempt at a flying body press his caught handily by Aldis, who converts easily into a something about halfway between a standing suplex and a brainbuster. Ricky kicks out at two, then one, after quick covers from Aldis. Nick gets on his back and starts punishing him with some crossface forearm strikes that look, well, not fun to take. Ricky’s comeback gets shut down right away by Aldis’s running clothesline spot, and Ricky looks glassy-eyed. He’s not done, though, punching chopping his way back until Aldis downs him with an elbow strike. Aldis is measuring Starks now, and seeing the damage done, picks him up for a fallaway slam. Nick has a look that says he’s on the clock now and putting in the work, hooking in a chinlock. Odd choice for a six minute match, but who am I to doubt the champ? Marquez announces the time at 3:00, maybe to shoot remind Nick that a headlock isn’t the best spot to work tonight. I don’t recall him announcing time before in these matches. In short order, Starks works his way up and back with strikes, putting Aldis down with a pretty good sling blade. Ricky fires up, charging Aldis in the corner with a spear, then grabbing on for a tornado DDT off the ropes… wait, no, it’s blocked by Aldis who throws Ricky to the corner. He runs in to capitalize, but Ricky catches him with a defensive boot to the face and follows with a missile dropkick from the second rope for a near fall. Aldis slides out, and you can tell the crowd is fully expecting him to bail on the match. No telling if that was on the champ’s mind, as Ricky charges and throws a flying clothesline through the ropes to Aldis on the outside. Looks like he landed badly on his right arm in the process, though. Aldis is rolled back in and Starks wants something flippy from the second turnbuckle. Nick evades, and when Starks tries to compensate and land on his feet, his knee is jammed. Aldis smells blood and goes immediately for the cloverleaf. Starks sees it coming and hooks onto his head for a small package and alllllmost gets the three. Both up, and Starks sets up Buster Keaton, but he’s suffered too much damage to muscle Nick’s mass up. Aldis turns it around and takes another stab at the cloverleaf. Starks tries the same counter, but Nick knows what’s coming and keeps his head out of Ricky’s grasp. Ricky fights it all the way, grabbing at anything he can get a purchase on but it’s all about Nick’s superior size and power at this stage. He turns Starks over and cinches the cloverleaf in, with 1:00 to go. Starks, with a jammed knee and a bashed arm now has to escape via the ropes or survive. Nick drags Ricky to center ring, and now the ropes are a moot point. Ricky is gutting the last minute out, and actually gaining some ground back towards the ropes. The fans are invested and solidly behind Ricky. Finally the bell rings and Aldis is exhausted, but celebratory; he's convinced Starks submitted and is positively bewildered when referee Brian Hebner doesn't raise his hand. The result doesn't sink in for Aldis until Hebner passes the official word to Marquez, who announces the match has ended in a time limit draw. The champ sells a mixture of disbelief, frustration, and maybe a little self-doubt and ends up pleading his case to the audience. “Draw? Look at me and look at him!” he says, standing towards the fans and waving towards Starks  who is slumped on the bottom rope. 

Now, out to show some Ricky-solidarity perhaps, is Ricky Morton. Morton takes a mic and throws out the idea to the fans of having another five minutes worth of match. By now Starks is back up and looks game as hell for it. He's still selling the damage, but is all grit and determination.  Aldis strolls over to Morton and, fairly snidely, refuses the extension, clearly more to spite Morton more than anything else. Morton appeals, but Aldis feels like he's done Starks enough of a favor already. Starks is raging now as Nick makes his case as to why Starks was done. Now the “COWARD” chants return, and again, they're getting under the champ's skin. Morton, seeing Aldis is set against the extension, then asks if HE can have those five minutes. The crowd loves it, and even Starks has a smirk on his face. Nick is straight-up annoyed now, and flatly refuses before leaving the ring, grabbing the Ten Pounds of Gold and making his way to the back. 

That whole segment was old school in exactly the right way. I do wish we could have had a longer match, but it's part of the TV title format, and does have the built-in excuse of these guys having to sell the short matches as grueling by nature of putting everything out there right away to get a win. There's no holding back in a sprint. Just a lot of fun all around. 

Interstitial! 

Must be main event time, because the ref is securing the tag ropes, and Eli Drake and James Storm are out through the curtain and into the ring. Ha-ha, Storm is already talking about post-match beers and Drake is begging off “Naw... that was just Christmas!” Now Colt Cabana and Ken Anderson are out, both with their game faces on. Colt is all business and Anderson has his jaw clenched tight. Now Dave Marquez announces the Wild Cards... who do not come out. Marquez announces them again... and still nothing. Well now... I guess we aren't having a triple threat after all. Fine by me; those things generally suck. Bennett explains on commentary that Nick Aldis, just as he had his team added in to the match, has now pulled them out. Well that's odd. At this point, I like to think Nick is just actively spiting the fans. 

Anyway, we're on to the business at hand, quite literally, as Cabana extends a hand to Drake to start the match. Drake is reluctant, but settles on a fist bump so we know where things stand. Lock-up and a take-over by Cabana quickly gos to some mat wrestling. Colt works a tight headlock but Drake throws him off to the ropes and drops him with an elbow and then drops another on him. Two count. Now they're back up and moving, with Colt doing some puckish shenanigans to get the advantage. Now Colt is working a wristlock and in pulling Eli away from tagging Storm, moves into his own corner, where Anderson blind tags himself in off Colt's shoulder. Colt sells surprise and a touch of consternation but makes no protest as Anderson moves in to attack. Ken's been waiting for this as the announcers remind us the Drake has had his number during their previous confrontations. Anderson shoots Drake to the ropes, looking for a big clothesline, and the lunge he misses with highlights the big ol' spare tire Ken has been working on. At this rate, Anderson is going to look more like Dick Murdoch than Trevor Murdoch does. Clothesline misses, back elbow misses, but Drake's flying lariat hits and Eli takes the opportunity to tag the Cowboy. Double team back elbow puts Anderson on the back-foot and Ken tries to create some separation, hurling Storm over the top rope. Storm hangs on, though, and skins the cat with some pizazz, practically bouncing himself up off the ropes into the ring. Impressive visual to see a guy that size pull that off. Well hell, as if to accentuate the point, Storm comes of the ropes and into a twisting headscissors that looks positively luchadorian. Holy shit, Storm has decided to work like a crusierweight tonight for some reason. Crowd stands and pops on that one and I don't blame them. Anderson spoils the party by grabbing Storm's long hair and yanking him down, then brings him back down with a short lariat. Now that he isn't fighting Drake, Anderson is content to tag out for a double-team. Cabana and Anderson hit a double arm-wringer and tandem punches, dropping Storm to a knee. Little more friction showing between Colt and Ken. Quick tag back, however, brings Ken back in while Eli cheers his partner on. Anderson is working Storm over with a headlock, sinking it deep and grinding it so it's not just a resthold, but Storm is up quick, jabbing elbows into Anderson's guts. Follow-up kick is caught, but the Cowboy flips up and hits an enziguri to create separation and make the tag to Drake. Eli is in to fight, and immediately drops Ken with a Russian leg sweep followed up with a snap powerslam. Eli is feelin' good. He calls to the crowd who oblige and say his name, then comes of the ropes with some air for a leaping elbow drop. It's on target, but only gets Drake a two count. Storm is still down and recovering outside the ring. Drake comes charging at Anderson for a running clothesline, but Ken ducks. Eli almost nails Cabana in his corner, but pulls up short rather than hit the illegal man. Anderson takes advantage of the hesitation, clobbering Drake from behind, and Colt isn't feeling too great about that, hesitating (but still obliging) when Anderson makes the tag. Ken is choking Eli on the ropes, holding him for Colt's attack, but Colt insists Ken back off, insisting on fair play. That doesn't mean Colt doesn't want to win the match, however, as he pops Drake with forearms and fires him hard into the neutral turnbuckles. Man, the story of this match is so much better without Wild Cards complicating things. Lateral press gets two. Colt slaps on a chinlock while he plans his next move. Crowd is clapping, trying to get Eli back in the match and Drake obliges with a jawbreaker, and catches Anderson with a clothesline before he can get a shot in. Cabana eats a boot when he charges the corner and Drake goes to the middle turnbuckle for a missile dropkick. Looks like feets back on the menu, boys! Crowd is on their feet and Storm is begging for a tag. Cabana is also looking to tag out, but Anderson is running around the other side of the ring. He yanks Storm off the apron and hurls his knee into the ring frame. The camera angle was bad, but the looks of legit shock and horror from the ringside fans tells the tale better than seeing the actual impact. Seriously, go back and pause on the hit at look at the fans. Pretty much the first three rows have their mouths agape. Storm is in a heap on the floor, now, clutching the injured leg, and Drake is concerned for his downed partner. He charges Cabana and gets a double helping of feet himself, going plat on his back. Cabana hits his Superman press and folds Eli up. The ref is in and counts only two as Drake pushes out! I'm surprised as I don't think we've seen anyone push out of Colt's Superman press before. Colt's shocked himself, and Anderson's losing it, coming in and grabbing the ref by the noggin. Our referee Robert King isn't having any of that shit, and promptly disqualifies Anderson and Cabana for the contact. Hey, wow, a ref actually acting like a ref and taking a zero tolerance policy to contact. How 'bout that? Cabana can't believe it, but is still trying to keep himself between the ref and the now-livid Anderson. Ken blew the match for no reason when they had the advantage, and Colt knows it. Cabana is trying to get a handle on things now, but Anderson is all rage right now. Colt's frustrations at Ken's dastardly tactics start coming out as well (“... it was a WRESTLING match!”) which Anderson waves off. Drake is helping Storm to the back while Cabana and Anderson continue to have words. Colt is trying to get through to Ken, whose expression is pretty unreadable at this point. Finally they depart for the back. 

Whoa, hot on their heels coming the other way, unannounced and unexpected, are Strictly Business. Aldis explains his motivation for pulling Latimer and Isaacs out of the match, basically as an illustration of his power in the NWA. Now, Aldis calls the Rock 'N' Roll Express out for a chat, and they oblige. Aldis begins speaking to Morton, and snaps “Shut up, fat boy!” at an interruption from the audience, and thus has now attained complete late-era Nitro Flairhood. Seriously, I think I laughed for a solid minute at that, if only because I called it last week. Aldis proposes to settle his differences with Morton via a six-man tag match, with a shot at the World's Heavyweight Championship on the line for Ricky. Aldis doesn't ask Morton to put anything on the line on his end, so Morton of course agrees. The champ keeps a surprise in his back pocket, however. Aldis reveals that neither himself or Morton will be in the match, as Aldis wants Morton at 100% for his shot should his team actually win. That's actually pretty damn sporting of Mr. Aldis, so fair dues given. It does leave the question open as to who will be Wild Cards partner in the match, or as Nick says, “Who's the third man, brother?”. Nick was a massive Nitro fan, wasn't he? Aldis introduces his third man. He points to the crowd as sirens blare... well holy shit... “Holla if ya hear me!” and a baseline announces Ol' Ham Cubes himself, as Scott Steiner appears at the top of the stairs for a full PPV-style entrance. The Express wisely remove themselves as Big Poppa Pump ambles down to the greet his teammates, meeting Aldis with a high-five and a hug. Dokken plays, credits roll, and we're a week closer to Hard Times, baby. 

Powerrrrrr is the best hour of wrestling going today. I mean this show felt jam-packed. I credit MLW with doing the most with a thin roster, but the NWA is getting things out of wrestlers I would never have expected to be interested in. I just saw an ODB match I was really into. Colt Cabana and Ken Anderson are in the middle of a legitimately interesting angle. Nick Aldis has depth and motivations you can relate to. They're getting exactly what they need to out of everyone and it's great to see. There are always nits to pick (the state of the National title, the R'N'R being genuinely competitive with guys half their age) but there's nothing unacceptable going on, and way too much good to need to over-focus on the bad. It's just great to see wrestling worth caring about.

• Like 3

Episode 13:

Tim Storm is in a suit tonight, I'm so glad he's old school and wears a different outfit per taping. Dudes a pro. But I agree with whoever said it, Tim responding to those shouting out in the crowd is a slippery slope. So with the two open invitation spot's I wonder if Marty is gonna show up? And I also wonder cuz Tim's NWA's Tommy Dreamer if Tim's gonna get upsetted by one of those open invites in the semi's. For not saying a single word on camera yet Kamille is one of the more intresting acts on the roster you don't know what she's gonna do.

I had a feeling the Dawsons were gonna end up facing off against each other in this tournament, it's pretty old school booking. Something tells me there may be some foul play in the Murdoch-Latimer match next week, could be from Shooter and Question could be from Latimer's Strictly Business stablemates could be from both sides. I think Murdoch may be cheated out of advancing next week. 

Zicky Dice vs Caleb Conley - They told a nice story with Conley having the offensive edge most the match. You are rooting for Conley to pull it off, you're on the edge of your seat it's gonna happen he's gonna shut up the Obnoxious tool but wait he misses the moonsault and the obnoxious tool wins again. Zicky fits the part with the blonde curly mullet, the sleazy attitude and beig covered in tattoos his appearance can get him heat in this atmosphere add the fact that he's brazen about his abilities who get yourself a solid mid card heel. 

The Stevens/Question Mark sit down was brilliantly ridiculous. Stevens is so self absorbed and delusional, his humbling is gonna be great. When salt of the earth black trunks, black bootsTrevor Murdoch eventually beats Stevens for the Third Degree National Championship I'll mark out. King Mo has signed an open contract with MLW, have Stevens agree to amatch but its a submission match so Trevor brings in Mo as his "trainer" then you can have Stevens?QM vs Murdoch/Mo on an episode of Powerrr.

ODB vs Thunder Rosa - Melina accompanied Marti Belle to the ring last night but didn't accompany Rosa this week. That lack of continuity and attention to detail bugs me but Rosa won so maybe she's on the something by not having Melina out there at ringside. This was a hard hitting back and forth both women are tough as nails and they beat the hell out of each other. I think they know what they are doing but we might have a double turn coming with Rosa and Kay. Kay has been champion since 4/27/19 and I'm not sure she has defended it once while Rosa has to be the unofficial number one contender for that strap. They won me over with those video package's of Rosa's first pro MMA fight, I'm a big fan and I''m rooting for her to unseat Kay as Champion. Although I could see Melina weaseling her way into getting the Championship match before Rosa and winning only to have Rosa turn on Melina finally and beat her for the title.

I'm liking Aldis as a heel. The crowd really let him have it and he leaned into it tenfold. Really fun to watch. Joe Galli continues to be the thorn in Aldis' side. Aldis just won't leave Tim Storm alone, he antagonizes that man so much for no other reason than seemingly that he can. Aldis is such a dickhead, he forgoes the TV Title tournament, gets called out for avoiding the time limit or whatever reason they gave and then wrestles Ricky Starks with the 6:05 time limit. What an ass he dropped out of the tourny just to stick it to Tim Storm. Be fucking tight if all this Tim Storm-Nick Aldis stuff comes to a head in a steel cage over the Summer. It doesn't even have to be for the strap just let Tim finally get his heads on Aldis alone in a cage ala Tully and Magnum.

Aldis vs Starks - I really dug this match, felt like one of those old school star making matches. it was condensed to 6 minutes not 45 like back in the day but still very good. Starks had vigor and fire and passion and persistence. I've been saying since the beginning but I think Starks could be the breakout star of Powerrr and he surely proved that he could in this match. By the end there that crowd was jumpin' up and down pleading for Ricky to hang in as he sat in that cloverleaf for a minute a brutal minute at that. Aldis made sure with his taunting and underestimating of Starks that the crowd was gonna completely be behind Starks by the end of the match there. And I though the finish of a draw, the crowd chanting five more minutes, Starks barely being able to stand but still willing to go, Ricky fucking Morton trying to goad Nick into 5 more minutes and Nick telling them all to fuck off was absolutely perfect. Ricky Morton 63 years old feuding with the champ and it doesn't feel silly it feels natural and real, the storytelling on this program is simple but effective it really is.

Eli Drake and James Storm vs Colt Cabana and Ken Anderson - Aldis is a crybaby dude, he adds the Wild Cards to the match then after everything that goes down with Ricky Morton calling him out and the crowd chanting coward at him he decides nope never mind Wild Cards aren't in this match after all, piss off! That's me typing as a brit, now piss off the lot of ya. I think this match fared better without the Wild Cards. Drake and Andersons beef runs deep enough it drives the match. So i watched the show twice once on Tuesday as a fan enjoying the show then a second time today as I'm typing this up. I could see little thing sin this match the second time threw that foreshadow Anderson grabbing the ref and Colt getting on his case. For example Anderson blind tags Colt early on to get a piece of Drake which doesn't seem to sit well with Colt and also Anderson wants to double team Drake at one point and Colt says no let him up. That finish pissed me off not because it was a non finish but because Anderson had no right to grab the ref over that call, the ref was checking on James Storm who's knee Anderson drove into the apron anyway, the ref should have called the match Anderson should have never grabbed the Official. I think non finishes piss me off when they are non finishes for the sake of non finishes but a noj finish like this where it makes sense i'm ok with it. Anderson was in the wrong and I'm glad Colt called him out for it. I hope we get a rematch soon cuz this tag was fun as fuck and ended way too abruptly.

Strictly Business is turning into a fun stable, the crowd loves to boo Aldis and he loves to give them a reason. No May Valentine again, inconsistencies brother. Aldis loves to tournament people first he won't leave Tim Storm alone and now all because Ricky Morton spoke honestly on how he thought about Aldis, Aldis just can't let it go. Ricky is so perfect in this roll cuz he is the vet he gave it all for business and didn't get much in return but seems ok with it cuz he gave back to the business. Aldis wants Ricky to call him a great Champion but Ricky won't do it cuz he doesn't believe it to be true. Ricky Morton is a real ass dude. Aldis was careful with his wording on Steiner, he called him an independent contractor and outside help. I'd love for Steiner to be an official member and be on Powerrr every week as the new insurance policy for Strictly Business but it's Steiner and he's every bit unpredictable as he is entertaining and i'm sure Lagana and Corgan want to have all the bases covered in case something goes haywire and Steiner quits suddenly. Speaking of Scott Steiner, holy shit what a cool get and he got an entrance with music. Classic Steiner he's yelling at The Rock n Roll as they leave. Sign me up for more Scott Steiner. He's gotta cut a promo next week he's just got to.

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 3

"TIM STORM, YOU ONLY HAVE A 12 AND A HALF PERCENT CHANCE OF BEATING ME....."

I'll buy every NWA PPV ever if Corgan gets Steiner to do another math promo

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Scott-Steiner-NWA-Powerrr-Nick-Aldis.jpg

"You know in a 6 man tag match you typically have a 50% chance of winning. But when you look at Robert Gibson, Tim Storm and Eli Drake then you look at me, Boyce Ice-icks and Tom Ratimer you realize the other team's chance of winning drastic go down. Now Robert Gibson and Tim Storm have a combined age of 113, so if you subtract that from their 50% chance of winning you get minus 63%. Add in the 50% chance me and the Wild Card have of winning each and you get minus 213 percent. Now Eli Drake KNOWS he can't beat me so he ain't even gonna try. So if you subtract his 50% from Gibson and Storm's minus 213 percent you get a minus 263 percent chance of winning. Team Morton, the numbers don't lie and they spell disaster for you next week!"

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Doghouse Reilly said:

So, anyone seen Steiner work lately? I mean, I know he's pushing 60 so I'm not expecting Frankensteiners or powerslams, but could he at least take a bump if the occasion calls for it? 

As of 2018 he was still busting out the Frankensteiner in his last Impact run so I could definitely see it happening.

Really? To YouTube...!

Well, apparently as of a year ago, he could pull of a couple of guys bouncing off an outstretched arm, a belly-to-belly, a Flatliner, and a reasonable approximation of a Camel Clutch. Frankly, that's more than I would have expected. Looking forward to the PPV.

• Like 1

I saw Steiner live at the Impact vs a LU show in Orleans Him and Teddy Hardy faced the Crists and all he did pretty Much was Belly to Belly on of the Crists for the finish. It was still a cool match. A lot of Teddy Hart. First move of the match was I believe a toupe from Teddy onto both Crists as they made their entrance.

15 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

not sure if I would have bleeped "White Trash" without bleeping "punkasses"... but Steiner certainly hasn't changed much

They cater to a southern demographic. “White trash” is worse than the C word to those folks.