DVDVR Message Board

NWA (Current Version) Discussion

• 4 weeks later...

Shockwave is out!  Khamille, the muscular gal who didn't talk to anyone while hanging out with Nick Aldis, takes on Heather Monroe, so it's like CWFH on steroids.

The Eli Drake match was a dark match on the UWN Primetime Live PPV according to cagematch so it's technically a "new" match:
https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=251430
I hope NWA will add more stuff on Shockwave in addition to matches that already aired on Primetime Live. I'd be pretty upset if I supported NWA on Patreon and only got to see matches I already saw on Primetime Live (I'm guessing the supporters are the diehard fans who already viewed some of the Primetime PPVs). I think NWA should put the title changes from Primetime Live on their YouTube channel as casual users will probably not be aware of the title changes but shouldn't center their new show around them as they aren't fresh.

NWA Shockwave Episode 1 (12/1/20).

The NWA IS Back! it's not Powerrr but it's a fun show. Like the Thunder (hopefully NWA takes Shockwave more seriously than WCW did Thunder) to Powerrr's Nitro. It's just NWA related matches from the United Wrestling Network PPV's but they do kinda have to do a restart as a lot of their roster pre Covid isn't there anymore and they've had title changes and roster shake ups that they need to address before Powerrr starts up again. I take this show replaying the PPV Matches for free on Youtube as a good indicator that nobody ordered the PPV's. It's an empty arena which is the product of our times but IDK it's something.

Nick Aldis opens the show with a promo of his match with Mike Bennett tonight. Aldis has been champ for over two years, I think it's appropriate to have a world Title Defense on the first show back.

Joe Galli then welcomes us back good to see Galli still around. He runs down the card it's Jordan Cruz (however that is) vs Eli Drake. Kamille vs Heather Monroe and Nick Aldis defending the NWA Championship against Mike Bennett.

Eli Drake vs Jordan Cruz - The smartest thing they did was have a straight up fundamental match with no crowd and all. I think the flashiest thing was Cruz hitting a dropkick which isn't a bad thing. Cruz looked impressive but this is the Eli Drake show, there's something special in Drake he did his E-Lie Drake Elbow cuz he could hear it from the people at home. Eli Drake seems like someone who has all the tools, he can talk he can wrestle he can connect with the crowd but can't seem the break out to the next level. Eli Drake won with his Gravy Train finisher. Real quick, why would they have a dark match for a show with no fans in attendance? Testing out the camera equipment i guess?

Kamille vs Heather Monroe - I think Heather Monroe was on Dynamite recently and had a match that wasn't very good. I think. I don't remember her manager being on Dynamite, he and mean this with no disrespects looks like how i'd imagine an old queen would look on the Flintstones. Kamille's got more ripped up during the pandemic. She puts Will Ospreay and Jay White to shame. Kamille looked scary she beat up Monroe pretty good. I saw the match on Super Powerrr and I saw this match the two matches of Kamille's I've seen and I'm a Kamille fan. I think it has something to say about hoe tough Kamille is that Monroe had to ram her shoulder first into the ring post to even the odds. Monroe worked the arm over for a bit, but Kamille makes a comeback even if she is favoring that arm after every big move. Kamille wins after hitting a spear.

David Marquez is with Mike Bennett and he cuts what i think is a good promo, he takes his time to find the right words and he takes this very seriously, being World Champion is life changing and he is ready to change his life. 

NWA World Heavyweight Championship Nick Aldis (c) vs Mike Bennett - At the time of this airing (September 15th) Nick Aldis was Champion for 693 days as of December 2nd Nick Aldis has been champion for 770 days. Thats over two years as Champ. Aldis hit Bennett with a Tombstone on the ramp pretty early in the match. They camera misses a big crossbody from Bennett to Aldis cuz they were too busy watching Kamille intimidate Maria. More of a fight than a wrestling match and I don't mind the tone, every match doesn't have to be a 60 minute epic sometimes you can have a ten. minute fight and get the same point across. MIke Bennett is the scrappy underdog in the biggest match of his life he's challenging for the NWA World Championship and he's giving it his all and he wants to end it fast cuz the longer it goes the more it's in Aldis' favor. It's a good story of how much Bennett want's to be Champion, it's probably also Bennetts downfall as he might have tried too hard or is too eager, he goes for a missile drop kick off the ropes but is caught into a Cloverleaf. Mike Bennett ends up passing out from the pain while in the cloverleaf ref stops the match and Nick Aldis retains. 

Back to Galli and he runs down the line up for episode two; Eli Drake vs Watts, Kamille vs Somebody and Thunder Rosa defending the NWA Women's World Championship against Priscilla Kelly.

Cagematch says Rosa and Kelly went 22 Minutes I can't imagine they'd clip it so including the 2 other matches next week is gonna be longer than this week. The freedom of Youtube.

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 4

On 12/2/2020 at 12:57 AM, aloniv said:

The Eli Drake match was a dark match on the UWN Primetime Live PPV according to cagematch so it's technically a "new" match:
https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=251430
I hope NWA will add more stuff on Shockwave in addition to matches that already aired on Primetime Live. I'd be pretty upset if I supported NWA on Patreon and only got to see matches I already saw on Primetime Live (I'm guessing the supporters are the diehard fans who already viewed some of the Primetime PPVs). I think NWA should put the title changes from Primetime Live on their YouTube channel as casual users will probably not be aware of the title changes but shouldn't center their new show around them as they aren't fresh.

They aren't going to be running shows/creating new content for a while due to the pandemic, so nothing is going to be "fresh" for a while. This is a way for them to stay on the radar of wrestling fans by cutting together episodes for YouTube that consist of matches that haven't been available for free yet. They have the footage to put to use, so they are. It's honestly the smartest move on their part at this point. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 2:30 AM, Web Conn said:

Kamille's got more ripped up during the pandemic. 

She won a bodybuilding classic in Daytona Beach back in September. 

Thomas Latimer then proposed to her on stage afterwards. She said yes.

Borderline-NSFW I guess? 

Spoiler

6620386.jpg

why they never showed the triple threat match where James Storm became the #1 contender still baffles me. they referenced the match on-air and talked about it not airing. at least show highlights or something!

once these tapings run out, i wish they'd offer up the 10-12 NWA Showcase episodes they aired in 2008. Marquez owns the footage. Put them out somewhere!

@twiztorI think it had something to do with how Cornette leaving the company all went down, cuz those last couple episodes before Into the Fire they edited Cornette out besides the Tag Title match. They did air clips of the 3 way but never shown the match in full. It's strange.

It looks like the first four episodes of Showcase are on the United Wrestling Network's youtube page for anyone who wants to check them out, here's the first episode.

Also, I've been watching the What's Causing Aldis shows, there's only four as production was halted when Lagana turned out to be a creep but I found them to be enjoyable conversations about the wrestling business, It's basically Aldis shooting the shit with his buddies but it works and I'd like to see them return at some point.

3 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

@twiztorI think it had something to do with how Cornette leaving the company all went down, cuz those last couple episodes before Into the Fire they edited Cornette out besides the Tag Title match. They did air clips of the 3 way but never shown the match in full. It's strange.

It looks like the first four episodes of Showcase are on the United Wrestling Network's youtube page for anyone who wants to check them out, here's the first episode.

Also, I've been watching the What's Causing Aldis shows, there's only four as production was halted when Lagana turned out to be a creep but I found them to be enjoyable conversations about the wrestling business, It's basically Aldis shooting the shit with his buddies but it works and I'd like to see them return at some point.

whoa!  i've seen the thumbnails but i thought those were from the 2009 NWA Showcase. Excellent!!  thanks @Web Conn!!

also, i forgot about the Cornette bit. i guess that would explain some of it. still feels odd for an episodic series though.

NWA Shockwave Episode 2

I don't know how i feel about these not having episode titles like Powerrr does. I guess it further enforces my analogy of Powerrr being Nitro and Shockwave being Thunder, Powerrr has episode titles Shockwave does not.

No cold Open this week I was hoping they'd open the show like they did last week with the Champion cutting a promo setting up tonights main event but no such luck. 

Galli introduces us to the show from his living room or where ever the hell he is there's a map of the world in the background, what a nerd. He runs down the show we have Eli Drake vs Watts, Thunder Rosa defending her Women's World Championship against Pricilla Kelly and ...

Kamille vs Simone Sherie - All I know about Sherie is she's blonde and from Australia.I know a little bit about Kamille, she's Nick Aldis' muscle and from North Carolina, well not much more evidently. One thing I noticed during the match is how much more stronger Kamille is than Simone and she's bigger, Kamille's a bully in the ring. Not necessarily a bad thing but one day Kamille is gonna met her match, it's not during this match. Sherie gets somne offense in and ints impressive she hit a shinning wizard but thats about it. Kamille kinda slithers around the ring to set up the spear akin to Orton and the RKO. Kamillie hits Sherie with the Spear and gets the 3.

Daivd Marquez is standing by with NWA National Champion Aron Stevens, who has his back to the camera, he's rocking a gi show he's still a shooter! Stevens turns around cuts a promo on Trevor Murdoch, the title match is next week. Before the world stopped turning Stevens and Murdoch were in an angle for the National Championship so I'm happy to see it continuing. Wish the Question Mark wasn't stuck in Mongrovia due to travel restrictions, he was sorely missed.

Galli makes it official Next Week it's Stevens vs Murdoch National Championship on the line. He then throws it to the next match which he teases could be a show stealer we'll just have to wait and see ...

Watts vs Eli Drake - I've seen Watts wrestle Jake Hager on an episode of CWFH 3 years back and he was a security guard when WWE was in SoCal maybe two years ago. He's a big dude who can fly if he wants to, I seem to remember him diving out of the ring onto Hager. Drake I'm familiar with. This was really good I don't know if I'd call it a show stealer but I enjoyed this. The start off playing to the TV audience as there is no live crowd. One thing i've noticed from lack of a crowd is way more shit talking which I'm ok with. Watts beats up Drake for most of this match Drake looks to be in trouble. Watts whips him into the turn buckle and it looks to have almost killed Drake. Drake gets off a desperation head scissors which I wouldn't call sloppy but did look like Drake pulled it out off his ass. They have an early 90's WCW Style ramp to the ring the Drake runs across and dives over the top rope and hits a flying lariat onto Watts, I've never seen Drake bust something out like that it was pretty cool looking. Watts hit a seated chokeslam thats pretty read looking too. I know Watts is a West Coast guy and NWA is based out of Atlanta but once Powerrr sets running again I think Watts would be well worth the fly in. Watt's calls for his music, sets up his big move possibly taking too much time and Eli Drake hits his Gravy Train and gets the 3. 

Marquez with Pricilla Kelly, It's a passionate promo she's ready for the title shot. It seems important to her which it should be.

NWA Women's World Championship Tunder Rosa (c) vs Pricilla Kelly - This match took place on September 22nd. Rosa lost the belt to Sarena Deeb on October 27th. Kelly I haven't seen wrestle since she wrestled Britt Baker on the Cruise Ship episode of Dynamite almost a year ago. I agree with what @Hail Sabin had to say they reslly did beat each other up for 22 minutes. And they showed the full 22 minutes cuz of course they did. This felt like a Title Match, Champion and Challenger gave it their all.  This is a different Pricilla Kelly then I last saw and I might like this version better. I tease that Shockwave is Thunder but if you go back and watch Thunder I don't think you'll find a match that compares to this, hell there's been nothing on Powerrr that comes close to this match in just how hard hitting this really is. My favorite kind of wrestling, combat sports heavy. Tons of submission holds tons of kicks tons of strikes a lot of fun. When they were fighting on the outside for no other reason then just to kick the shit out of each other and that Death Valley Driver Rose hit on the WCW ramp were both aewsome. Rosa is a fighter she spent a good portion of this match fighting withbone arm as Kelly was working it over with various submission holds, they even had the New Japan slap each other to your feet spot with insane chops. If 2020 has a silver lining it's that Thunder Rosa got to she the world how good she really is be it Powerrr, Dynamite or even on an obscure weekly PPV Rosa puts on a hell of a performance. Thunder Rosa hits the Thunder Driver for the 3 and she retains the Women's World Championship.

Now its back to Galli and he hypes up next week, Allysin kay vs Nicole Savoy, Pope and Watts vs Zicky Dice and a mystery partner and Aron Stevens defending the National Championship against Trevor Murdoch. 

Edited by Web Conn

The Kamille match doesn't seem to be from the UWN PPVs so I suppose it's fresh.
I wouldn't mind seeing the 3-way number one contender match that Storm won.
Instead of a mostly UWN recap show NWA could release a best of all time collection of matches and buildups with one big match every week. That should include the recent PPV match between Allysin Kay and Thunder Rosa which is probably their best televised match of the year (they already put some other PPV matches on their YouTube page but not the main ones).

On 12/8/2020 at 11:24 PM, Web Conn said:

Kamille vs Simone Sherie 

i wonder why the name change for Simone Sherie, as the commentators only refered to her by the name C.C. Chanel. took me out of the match, TBH.

man, Kelly and Rosa really did beat the hell out of each other. definitely a match worth watching. i had Priscilla Kelly confused with Bea Priestley in my head, so when the match started i was quite confused for a second. Didn't take long before i realized that i'm just an idiot. But now i really want to see Thunder Rosa face Bea.

NWA Shockwave Episode 3:

Cold Open of May Valentine ace reporter, with 3rd Degree National Champion Aron "Shooter" Stevens. I'm happy to see May Valentine show up in some capacity, Shockwave in a sense fells like bizarro Powerrr. Aron Stevens is awesome he cuts an absurd promo as only he could. I'm glad to see the return of the cold open were the champion cuts a promo setting up the main event I thought it was lacking from last week.

Joe Galli time, he runs down the card: Watts and Pope vs Zicky Dice, Aron "Shooter" Stevens defending his NWA National Championship against Trevor Murdoch in our main event and the opening contest ...

Allysin Kay vs Nicole Savoy - I really dug this match, it was just under 8 minutes and they fought each other. An MMA Influenced match which i"m all for, an excellent opening contest. Savoy was Lil Swole in the AEW Women's Tag Tournament I thought she looked familiar, Why didn't AEW sign her, also why has Allysin Kay's only AEW appearance been the Full Gear Buy In? Also I just noticed Kay has a tattoo of that Frida lady who Salma Hayek portrayed in that movie, I don't know if it was a newer tattoo or if she's had it forever but this is the first time i recognized it. Kay pushes Savoy into ropes and traps her in a roll up for the 3.  

Galli is back! he hypes the main, calls it a barn burner . He then reveals Zicky Dices partner It's Effy! and now its time for the match

Pope and Watts vs Zicky Dice and Effy - This was a ton of fun, 14 minutes of just a pure tag match, this is one of those matches during the pandemic where you go man a crowd would be eating this all up. I have heard of Effy before this is my first time seeing him wrestle and I have to say i was impressed. What I could find out about him on google is that he's Punk Rock Queer, he did wear fish nets and taunt Watts by saying he likes em big so i guess it checks out. Him and Zicky make a pretty good team. Once Powerrr gets up and running bringing Effy in and Watts for that matter would be a good idea. Zicky and Effy were in control most the match, there was this spot where Watts and Pope did the Doomsday Device ala the Road Warriors and the ref wouldn't count the pin cuz neither Pope nor Effy were the legal man, which led to Watts in the ring yelling at Zicky outside the ring then Effy chop blocked Watts' knee from behind and the worked over his knee some. I liked that it was a game changer in the match. Pope went on a run with those Dusty Elbows in which he looked like the black Dusty Rhodes which I think is what the Pope gimmick is suppose to be or at least what it should be. This is what I mean from Bizarro Powerrr last we say Pope it was Pope's Army vs Boogie Woogie Eddie Kingston in which he was clearly heel, now and I understand they had to pivot being that Kingston has signed with AEW but all of a sudden Pope is a babyface teaming with Watts against Zicky Dice and Effy also as I said Effy and Dice made a great team but it may have made more storyline sense if Homicide was Dice's tag partner but then that brings up Dice being the heel in the feud with Ricky Starks who is also now in AEW so maybe they just put Pope and Dice together because they are both without angles now. Also Pope was searching for a tag team but now he seems to have found one teaming with Watts. Pope hit a running double knee backstabber on Effy for the 3. After the match Dice attacks Pope and spits on him and Watts with one leg chases Dice off, Dice says this isn't the last they'll be seeing of them. So Dice and Pope will meet again. Pope cuts a promo, a passionate promo about respect and Zicky's lack there of it. Pope puts Zicky Dice on notice, he's coming for Zicky's TV Title. 

Galli throws it to ...

NWA National Championship Aron "Shooter" Stevens (c) vs Trevor Murdoch - Stevens is wearing a different color Gi than he was in his promo with May so they must of taped the promo afterwards or something IDK but speaking of promos Murdoch didn't cut one before the match, it's a basic forumla to follow Champ cuts a promo as the cold open Challenger cuts a promo right before the match. the inconstancies. Stevens as of September 29th when this match took place had been champ for 290 days winning the championship in a 3 way against Colt Cabana and the Question Mark on December 14th, 2019. This was alot of fun, satisfying. 11 minutes of Murdoch beating up Stevens. I'm glad to see this angle got a pay off even if it it was delayed due to covid. I think had the Crockett Cup had happened at the end of April, Murdoch would have taken the title off of Stevens at it. Stevens whole Shooter gimmick is that he pretends to be a tough guy but in fact he's a chicken shit coward, running from fight and winning after pitting forth minimal effort usually letting The Question Mark do his bidding for him but the Question Mark is stuck in Mongrovia and it was evident tonight. I liked that Stevens did chicken shit things in this match like blind Murdoch with one of the spotlights at ringside I also liked that Murdoch won the belt in a fashion thta Stevens would have retained it in a roll up on a sunset flip. Stevens comes off the ropes going for a sunset flip but Murdoch falls on top of him for the 3, winning the NWA National Championship in the process. Murdoch cuts in a promo in ring after the match and he thanks his wife and kids then says dad won and how can you not root for that guy?

We come back to Galli and the previews next week; Nick Aldis in action, Zicky Dice Defends his Television Championship against Pope and in the Main Event Thunder Rosa dfends her Women's World Championship against Serena Deeb. That's gonna be a good ass show 

Edited by Web Conn

Thunder Rosa vs Serena Deeb is a much different match then Kelly vs. Rosa but very much worth watching. It is very close on which match I like better due to the contrasting styles of matches but man they are some silky smooth exchanges in  Deeb vs. Rosa. 

• RIPPA changed the title to NWA (Current Version) Discussion
  • 1 month later...