DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

7 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I've seen Channel Zero on various lists of canceled shows, so I assume it's done for.

The creative team has moved on to the upcoming Chucky tv series.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I've seen Channel Zero on various lists of canceled shows, so I assume it's done for.

Yes, the show's been canceled, but the creator, Nick Antosca, is currently creating a Chucky limited series for Syfy.  Not sure when it will debut.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 7:23 PM, Gonzo said:

I thought we had an Adult Swim thread around here somewhere, but damned if I can find it.

In any case, they've announced that every episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force is now available for free on the Adult Swim app and their website.

They added the complete Dethklok today as well. 

• Like 1

Marathoned USA Network's "The Sinner" over the past couple of days.  Watched practically nothing of season 1 and 2, but three has me hooked.  Bill Pullman's character is broken in interesting ways (even though they apparently toned down his kinky fetishes and self-destructive tendencies from season one) and Matt Bomer has been great in the role of an unstable guy quickly disintegrating).

KInda curious about Jessica Hecht's character.  Seems like she's gaslighting Harry but I'm not really sure how or why.

Might stream season one.  Season two with the kid doesn't seem as interesting.

If you like season 3, you should definitely watch the other two.  I think 3 is by far the least of them all (though still enjoyable).  That said, I’d be interested to see how you’d react to them after watching 3 first, as much of this season has been built on subverting a lot of the tropes of the first two seasons.

Speaking of which, I’ve been on quarantine since last Saturday, and I’ve watched SO MANY SHOWS:

BETTER CALL SAUL (caught up on the end of season 4 and all of season 5?  Freaking great.

DEVS:  Freaking great.

THE OUTSIDER:  Really good up until the end, but Steven King yadda yadda

BRIARPATCH:  Really good.

THE SINNER (season 3):  Pretty good

BETTER THINGS (season 1 & 2):  Extremely pleasant.

DISPATCHES FROM ELSEWHERE:  Just fine.

BREEDERS:  Nah.

WESTWORLD:  Still WESTWORLD

CHEERS rewatch:  because why not?

Altered Carbon S2 started off slow but it has picked up since Episode 3.  Entertaining so far.

The ending for The Outsider was far better than something King would've concocted.  

Oh shit, wait, Brockmire is back?

EDIT: Just watched the season premiere trailer and I see it's the final season and...they time jumped. Oooooook.

Edited by Craig H

On 3/18/2020 at 7:55 AM, J.T. said:

I think that Butcher's Block was arguably the strongest season, but I really enjoyed The Dream Door.  Dream Door's story kinda hits home now because the couple in Dream Door suffered from relationship issues similar to the one that caused me to break things off with my long term ex-girlfriend. 

The showrunner's  combined ability to wrap cosmic level horror around a very local setting and personal relationships (most of them dysfunctional) is what make the plots stand out so much.

Butcher's Block was probably my favorite (so far. I still haven't finished Dream Door) but No-End House really messed with both my head and my sister's due to complete opposite experiences with our father. Her relationship with him was very similar to the main character's and she almost couldn't finish the series. Mine was 100% different and I never really got to spend time with him or get to know him so I lived vicariously through her relationship with him and that distance had an impact on how I viewed the father character. You're right about the melding of macro horror to micro personal drama in the series. Each season has some impact that a lot of horror just doesn't have (and I say this as a giant fan of horror as a genre) and that's a major part of the appeal and goes a long way in ratcheting up the tension. I'm having some flashbacks to a past relationship with Dream Door right now and that combined with my mindset due to the current world situation/general anxiety and depression are slowing me down even though the show is pretty damn awesome. Contortionists have always made me uncomfortable so Pretzel Jack is unnerving as well. 

On 3/19/2020 at 9:47 AM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

That is a bummer indeed. Hopefully lots of people stream it during this time and Shudder gets some kind of groundswell of responses asking for them to bring it back. 

Speaking of Shudder, I think I'll be digging into their Creepshow series next. 

• Like 3

Creepshow is so much fun. 

Channel Zero may never return, but I’d settle for a different creepy pasta show based on No Sleep. If you’ve never heard the No Sleep Podcast, where voice actors perform r/nosleep stories, it’s worth a listen if that’s your bag. 

• Like 1

I know I'm not the only person watching Zoe's Extraordinary Playlist but none of us havereally said anything about it.

Well I fuckin love it and am so glad Jane Levy landed a pum gig like this asI couldn't remember seeing her in anything since Suburgatory was cancelled

James

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, J.H. said:

I know I'm not the only person watching Zoe's Extraordinary Playlist but none of us havereally said anything about it.

Well I fuckin love it and am so glad Jane Levy landed a pum gig like this asI couldn't remember seeing her in anything since Suburgatory was cancelled

James

Apparently she was in a season of Castle Rock. I've never watched the show. Not caught any of Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist, but I'm just generally happy to see she has something again. I enjoyed her in Suburgatory a decent bit.

On 3/22/2020 at 1:49 PM, EVA said:

Speaking of which, I’ve been on quarantine since last Saturday, and I’ve watched SO MANY SHOWS:

THE OUTSIDER:  Really good up until the end, but Steven King yadda yadda

The ending of the series is better than the novel, but that is a low bar to hurdle.

16 hours ago, (BP) said:

Creepshow is so much fun. 

Channel Zero may never return, but I’d settle for a different creepy pasta show based on No Sleep. If you’ve never heard the No Sleep Podcast, where voice actors perform r/nosleep stories, it’s worth a listen if that’s your bag. 

Creepshow is a lot of fun.

I never got my wish for Channel Zero to cover Ted the Caver before it closed shop.

18 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

You're right about the melding of macro horror to micro personal drama in the series. Each season has some impact that a lot of horror just doesn't have (and I say this as a giant fan of horror as a genre) and that's a major part of the appeal and goes a long way in ratcheting up the tension. I'm having some flashbacks to a past relationship with Dream Door right now and that combined with my mindset due to the current world situation/general anxiety and depression are slowing me down even though the show is pretty damn awesome. Contortionists have always made me uncomfortable so Pretzel Jack is unnerving as well. 

The Channel Zero stories are all so powerful because the macro horror that the protagonists face isn't nearly as terrifying as the personal tragedies from which the characters are trying to extricate themselves.   I found the endings of Butcher's Block and Candle Cove to be particularly tragic and was happy that No-End House had something of an empowering conclusion. 

In the all of the stories, at some level the enemy you face has somehow co-opted your own family and that makes these situations particularly sticky.

We can say that we'd be able to do what was necessary, but would we really?  Could you bring yourself to kill your father or sister for the greater good?  How much greater is the greater good if you have a low opinion of humankind or just lacked the empathy to assign worth to the lives of your fellow man?  

Evil is so much easier to deal with when it wears a stranger's face and if you believe that people are worth saving, but that's not always the case in Channel Zero stories and it is that added layer that makes the plots so fun to observe as they unfurl.  There is a lot of philosophical and psychological depth to Channel Zero that makes it more than a cut above the average horror fare on television.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, J.H. said:

I've watched the first few episodes and damn show makes me cry like a baby anytime Sandy Cohen does anything sweet. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 2:00 AM, quackhell said:

Still working, as heavens knows security guards are vital cogs in society, but still binging and finally got around to Inside No. 9. I went in not knowing much and was happily surprised by the dark twisty storytelling. Good stuff.

Loved the first season of that.

• Like 1

My god, TIGER KING might be the most accurate depiction of what it means to be an American ever committed to film.

Your are someone on this show.  You might not like the answer.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, EVA said:

My god, TIGER KING might be the most accurate depiction of what it means to be an American ever committed to film.

Forget Florida Man, here comes Oklahoma Man.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, EVA said:

I don't know if I have ever been more skeeved out by so many different people. I felt bad for all the people exploited but thinking of those poor animals. Yeesh.