DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Self Made: Inspired by the Life of Madam C.J. Walker

Octavia Spencer, Blair Underwood, Tiffany Haddish, Carmen Ejogo

Garrett Morris and Bill Bellamy were both in the trailer but I sure don't have hope they are making it to the end of the series

I'm much more surprised that the cast of Friday Night Lights didn't go on to do much.  Michael B. Jordan is clearly the leader in the clubhouse, but he was already ascending as that season was airing.  They tried to make Taylor Kitsch a thing, but that didn't work out.  Jesse Plemons has been far more successful than I would have thought.  I would have bet money on Minka Kelly having a Jessica Alba type run.  Adrianne Palicki is too tall and most actors too short which hurt her career.  I don't know what happened with Aimee Teegarden.  Kyle Chandler has cooled off, but had a bit of a run.  Nashville was a show people liked, but Connie Britton hasn't done much else. I thought we were watching the next generation of actors, but nope...we were just watching a good ass show.

47 minutes ago, Craig H said:

at least Michael Emerson had a hell of a run with Person of Interest

I tapped out during the first season of that show. I enjoyed it enough but couldn't commit to it, it's crazy how we've been conditioned to think 24 episodes per season of something is too much now

11 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I'm much more surprised that the cast of Friday Night Lights didn't go on to do much.  Michael B. Jordan is clearly the leader in the clubhouse, but he was already ascending as that season was airing.  They tried to make Taylor Kitsch a thing, but that didn't work out.  Jesse Plemons has been far more successful than I would have thought.  I would have bet money on Minka Kelly having a Jessica Alba type run.  Adrianne Palicki is too tall and most actors too short which hurt her career.  I don't know what happened with Aimee Teegarden.  Kyle Chandler has cooled off, but had a bit of a run.  Nashville was a show people liked, but Connie Britton hasn't done much else. I thought we were watching the next generation of actors, but nope...we were just watching a good ass show.

I wouldn't say Kyle Chandler has cooled off. He's had Bloodline (the first season was incredible, the rest I'm not going to hold against him because of the direction they took with Ben Mendelsohn's character), Game Night was a big hit, he was in Manchester by the Sea, had a significant role in Wolf of Wall Street, he's in Catch 22, etc. He's just not someone who's going to take every part under the sun and looks more like an actor who is better at picking his spots than most.

As for Connie Britton, when I've listened to her on a couple podcasts, she sounds like someone who isn't ever attached to what she's doing. She even sounded like that with FNL. It's not a surprise to see her never stick around for the long run with a lot of her other projects.

Jesse Plemons is still the biggest surprise from FNL. He's also morphed his body in really weird ways for all of the different roles he's had. I never imagined he would be that type of actor to just change himself like that or give the performances he's given.

41 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

I tapped out during the first season of that show. I enjoyed it enough but couldn't commit to it, it's crazy how we've been conditioned to think 24 episodes per season of something is too much now

I was thinking about that in reference to Briarpatch last night. I was kind of interested in watching it, did actually watch a bit a week or two ago, but they keep saying it's a story in ten parts... that's TEN HOURS of airtime I'd have to get through. That's not a miniseries, that's a series series. The last miniseries I watched was probably, technically the Hap and Leonard shows and even those only had like five hour-long episodes in a season/story.

31 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was thinking about that in reference to Briarpatch last night. I was kind of interested in watching it, did actually watch a bit a week or two ago, but they keep saying it's a story in ten parts... that's TEN HOURS of airtime I'd have to get through. That's not a miniseries, that's a series series. The last miniseries I watched was probably, technically the Hap and Leonard shows and even those only had like five hour-long episodes in a season/story.

The fucking state of this man’s attention span!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Minka Kelly got her gift basket from Derek Jeter and it was all downhill from there

If there was ever a 30 for 30 about the Jeter gift basket all-stars, I'd be first in line to watch.  I want to know how he decided what would be in each gift basket.  Whether they varied in size, extravagance, price, etc.  Who got which basket.  What criteria were they graded on when he was deciding on which gift basket to buy.  Were these women insulted by the gift baskets or did they find it charming.  I want to know if any of them have kept their gift basket.  Were they customized?  Like what if someone who doesn't like coffee got a Starbucks giftcard?  That would reflect poorly upon Derek Jeter, we can't have that.  It's a top 5 sports subject for me.

There's an episode of Brockmeyer that riffs on the whole gift baskets thing and it's pretty funny. I don't want to spoil the gag here, but it's at least a good opportunity to plug what is a pretty fucking funny TV series.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Not sure if Kyle Chanlder's really cooled off. Wasn't he basically the human lead in the Godzilla movie that came out last summer?

Considering how poorly that movie did - I wouldn't put that as a feather in his cap

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, I know. I'll probably end up binging it anyway. 

My complaint is just that everything is long as hell anymore. If it's a miniseries let it be one.

Miniseries back in the day were easily that long. How long was Roots? The north and south? They were a bit before my time, but old miniseries were very long. Go epic or go home.

Edited by Kuetsar

The Thorn Birds was like 8 hours over four consecutive nights before home recording, which seems like a commitment. 

I’ll say the British model of two hour crime shows took some getting used to when I got into Touch of Frost years ago, and it’s probably why I haven’t really gotten into other shows. 

18 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Roots was 8 hours. 

Winds of War was 7 episodes. And 18 hours.

Roots was 8 episodes with some being 2 hours long and some an hour. It was supposed to air over 8 weeks but ABC execs freaked out when they saw the first episode and decided to air it 8 nights in a row to cut their losses. 

North and South aired 6 episodes in the fall and 6 in the spring, they were 2 hours episodes. 

Edited by happjack

4 hours ago, (BP) said:

I’ll say the British model of two hour crime shows took some getting used to when I got into Touch of Frost years ago, and it’s probably why I haven’t really gotten into other shows. 

You only watched one British crime show, and you chose Frost? Not Cracker or Prime Suspect?

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

You only watched one British crime show, and you chose Frost? Not Cracker or Prime Suspect?

It was really early in the Netflix streaming days when there was only a handful of options on there. I want to check out Prime Suspect. I just discovered Lovejoy and I want to get into that too. 

On 2/24/2020 at 6:18 AM, J.T. said:

Speaking of Gunpowder, Kit Harrington was in a few more shitburger movies.  Pompeii, Silent Hill: Homecoming, and the Death and Life of John F. Donovan.

IIRC, he's going to play Dane Whitman in the upcoming Marvel joint, The Eternals, so a Black Knight spin-off may be in the works if Eternals doesn't tank.

Richard Madden is in Eternals, too.

Rebecca Breeds (Home and Away, Pretty Little Liars, The Originals) has been cast as FBI Agent Clarice Starling in the CBS Silence of the Lambs sequel series Clarice, Variety has confirmed.

Set in 1993, a year after the events of The Silence of the Lambs, Clarice is a deep dive into the untold personal story of FBI Agent Clarice Starling as she returns to the field to pursue serial murderers and sexual predators while navigating the high stakes political world of Washington, D.C.