DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Just came on here to talk about how much I am liking High Fidelity. I was iffy on the first episode but it gets really good really quickly.

What I like most about this: I was in my early 20s when the movie came out followed by me belatedly reading the book. I was more into record stores and keeping up with what was cool. I really loved the characters and that life. I rewatched/reread both when I was in my mid-30s, which is Rob’s age in both, and just thought he was an immature doofus. I still really liked both a lot — really well-done — but he was such a shithead.

I am so far away from this world now. But it is such a great universe to see someone in their late 20s who lives in a place like Brooklyn trying to find their way. The other characters in this are so much better developed, too. The episode about Simon was maybe the best one.

Just a really fun watch.

• Like 1

Finally watched the last 2 seasons of Game of Thrones.  I really can't quite empathize with any of the people who were so disappointed in the ending.  If you actually pay attention to the characters and how the world works, it's pretty clear what's coming down the pipe, and while you can bag on the show runners for lots of reasons, consistency in character choice & behavior really isn't one of them.  I think the people who whinged about this were probably as clueless as those who whinged about the finale to How I Met Your Mother.  That said, Martin's preferred ending if everyone got what they deserved - utter destruction and desolation - might have been more satisfying, on some level.

Watchmen was...well, something. I probably should have liked it more, but something about it just felt wrong - probably, as others have said, Dr. Manhattan's portrayal being so far off-base with how he was actually shown in the comics.  I think the gist of the plot doesn't quite work well, either, maybe because there doesn't feel like enough grounding in the stretch of time immediately prior to the White Night.

I can't exactly say I was in love with His Dark Materials, either.  Like Watchmen, the casting and acting is on-point, but, like Watchmen, it feels like it expects the audience to already know too much stuff and just take it at face value.  They slow-pedal the alethiometer for too long, and Will's entire section of the show is just hanging on by the tiniest of threads, which makes it feel like they devoted far, far, far too much of their screen time to it.  Maybe it's something to be said for Pullman's writing that the books don't feel so rushed or so mashed together.  Not sure what the point of making Will older is, either, except that it'll invariably make it ickier when the plot for Amber Spyglass plays itself out.

I don't think the problem with GoT was where the characters wound up, but rather that they seemed to skip major steps along the way the last couple years. Like, they planted seeds for where Dany would wind up, then they jumped over the transition between "a few seeds planted" to "final end point"

That and they utterly blew up the sense of time the last couple years. Characters seemed to suddenly master teleportation.

I think most of the biggest problems that don't tie directly into "got ahead of the books" can be traced back to them deciding to do 13 episodes total for those two years instead of 20.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't think the problem with GoT was where the characters wound up, but rather that they seemed to skip major steps along the way the last couple years. Like, they planted seeds for where Dany would wind up, then they jumped over the transition between "a few seeds planted" to "final end point"

That and they utterly blew up the sense of time the last couple years. Characters seemed to suddenly master teleportation.

I think most of the biggest problems that don't tie directly into "got ahead of the books" can be traced back to them deciding to do 13 episodes total for those two years instead of 20.

Yeah, the show went from a cycle of everything being very carefully plotted, foreshadowed, and paid off.  It ended with multiple seasons that skipped the foreshadowing.  There are viable reasons for almost everything that ended up happening, but the train outran the tracks around season 6 and crashed in season 8.  If you lay tracks they have to be laid to the final destination, but if they stop before they get to the end it is going to be jarring for everyone who expected to be riding on those tracks.

Yeah, the episode with everyone stranded on the spot in the middle of the lake was one of the worst offenders for "every bit of this plot smells like badly-executed bullshit".  Are there memes of Benioff & Weiss stranded with Jon et al on that island, having written themselves into a corner?  There should be memes of that. 

I'm with everyone on they fucked up the sense of time stuff but I disagree about them skipping steps on some of the character arcs, specifically Dany. She very clearly had that in her all along and demonstrated her capacity for her warped sense of justice many times. If anything, it was the Better Angels in her entourage that helped keep her on the "good side" and as they died off and/or betrayed her, she lost patience with all this egalitarian bullshit and let her inner tyrant loose. She was developed nearly perfectly. 

Edited by Execproducer

Has anyone from Game of Thrones gone on to be in anything thats been good?

Emilia Clarke...pretty much universally awful stuff since.

Gunpowder was boring.

Sophie Turner with X-Men films no good. Star Wars haven't fared much better.

The Hot Zone with Davos entertaining but not good.

Richard Madden in the Elton John bio pic probably the best of the lot. Klondike was passable.

Charles Dance made Project Gallipoli that wasn't awful but still a snooze. Ser Friendzone made Cleverman which was really good too.

I probably liked Fighting With My Family more than most...

Oh...wait. Peter Dinklage with cameo in Avengers and of course 3 Billboards.

Anyway...the strike rate has not been gold.

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

Gunpowder was boring.

Richard Madden in the Elton John bio pic probably the best of the lot. Klondike was passable.

Charles Dance made Project Gallipoli that wasn't awful but still a snooze. Ser Friendzone made Cleverman which was really good too.

Madden did The Bodyguard which was pretty good, as well as the live action Cinderella, which my kids loved at least.  Nathalie Emmanuel has done pretty well for herself between the Fast's and Dark Crystal.  But yeah, that's slim pickings so far.  

But we could do pages apon pages of threads where people in a good ensemble show ended up in bleh stuff afterwards.

• Like 1

Anybody watching BRIARPATCH on USA?  I’ve enjoyed the first three episodes.  It’s basically JUSTIFIED by way of TWIN PEAKS: Southern noir with a dash of the surreal.  Rosario Dawson is a strong lead (and looks fabulous in every frame), but Jay Ferguson steals every scene is in.  His coke-fueled march through his mansion in episode 2 is reason enough to watch at least a couple episodes.

The ratings aren’t great, so it’s actually moving from Thursdays to Mondays after Raw, where it’s reruns have been doing well.

On 2/22/2020 at 11:54 AM, RolandTHTG said:

Some people really liked Aquaman, starring Khal Drogo as Jason Momoa.

After season one and before season two, John Bradley (Samwell Tarly) bumped into Mark Addy (Robert Baratheon) in a pub in Manchester. They were asking each other if they had any other work lined up, and both said no. Bradley said "Still, if it's nothing but Game of Thrones, that's a pretty good year". Addy replied "If it's nothing but Game of Thrones, that's a pretty good career".

• Like 4

On 2/22/2020 at 6:54 AM, RolandTHTG said:

Gunpowder was boring.

Speaking of Gunpowder, Kit Harrington was in a few more shitburger movies.  Pompeii, Silent Hill: Homecoming, and the Death and Life of John F. Donovan.

IIRC, he's going to play Dane Whitman in the upcoming Marvel joint, The Eternals, so a Black Knight spin-off may be in the works if Eternals doesn't tank.

Edited by J.T.

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

Speaking of Gunpowder, Kit Harrington was in a few more shitburger movies.  Pompeii, Silent Hill: Homecoming, and the Death and Life of John F. Donovan.

IIRC, he's going to play Dane Whitman in the upcoming Marvel joint, The Eternals, so a Black Knight spin-off may be in the works if Eternals doesn't tank.

Ha - Pompeii is looming on my to watch list. I'm not sure I can stomach it.

7 Days In Hell was pretty fucking funny also.

18 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I watched the first few episodes of Hunters last night. It felt like a spiritual sequel to Inglorious Basterds set in the late 70s. Take that for what it's worth.

As if that is a bad thing. Had never thought about that, but it does fit.

On 2/23/2020 at 2:21 AM, odessasteps said:

Remember when people thought a lot of the Lost cast would go on to bigger things?

I thought Josh Holloway's Mission Impossible cameo was going to be his big break but he was so wooden.

Matthew Fox seemed to be doing okay with Alex Cross and Bone Tomahawk, but has pretty much disappeared after those false allegations came out about the bus driver, and his scenes from World War Z all ended up on the cutting room floor.

Evangeline Lilly has done really well though I guess.

I'm still disappointed Terry O Quinn and Michael Emerson haven't had anything produced for them both to do, they're possibly the greatest pairing in TV history.

Edited by BurningBeard

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I would say Daniel Dae Kim is second behind Evangeline Lilly

Especially if you count his voice over work too

I could've forgiven the recent shitty Hellboy movie if they'd only made Dae Kim's character look more like Johnny Gat.

1 hour ago, BurningBeard said:

I thought Josh Holloway's Mission Impossible cameo was going to be his big break but he was so wooden.

Matthew Fox seemed to be doing okay with Alex Cross and Bone Tomahawk, but has pretty much disappeared after those false allegations came out about the bus driver, and his scenes from World War Z all ended up on the cutting room floor.

Evangeline Lilly has done really well though I guess.

I'm still disappointed Terry O Quinn and Michael Emerson haven't had anything produced for them both to do, they're possibly the greatest pairing in TV history.

I know you said together, but at least Michael Emerson had a hell of a run with Person of Interest. And before Castle Rock started, I figured Michael Emerson would be perfect for it since Terry O'Quinn sounded like he had a starring role, but, well, then that first episode happened.

Hurley had that one TV show that lasted a season and he also wound up on the cover of the not good Weezer album also titled "Hurley." So that's not great...

Josh Holloway is still the biggest surprise for me. I always thought he was the most charismatic person in the cast and it felt like he was destined for bigger things, but the biggest things he did were that M:I cameo and his role on Colony. Since I'm watching the Expanse now, it really feels like the Expanse ate Colony's lunch and then some. Hey, maybe get Josh Holloway for season 5 of the Expanse?

Evangeline Lilly having the biggest career post-LOST isn't that surprising, but I figured she would almost have a Jennifer Anniston-like run in her. That hasn't happened yet and it appears that Lilly and Anniston both have access to the fountain of youth and will never look old so she has time for Oscar bait roles and something more than the MCU.

And just to bookend this, it really does feel like a gigantic missed opportunity to not have Michael Emerson on Castle Rock.

• Like 1