DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

18 hours ago, (BP) said:

I can’t wait to sit down and watch The Outsider. For me, a good chunk of the book is some of King’s most absorbing work, and then the ending...but King’s gonna King. Screenwriters who adapt his stuff are usually pretty smart about cleaning up his climaxes (this comes off as a filthy sentence now that I’ve read it back.) 

The strange thing about the miniseries is that it will probably have to be told in a complete vacuum. 

The Outsider shares a character link with the Mr Mercedes / Finders Keepers / End of Watch but DirectTV channel, Audience Network, has been running a rather successful regular series based on the Mr. Mercedes novels since 2017. 

I am not sure how much the HBO series can make references to novels whose content has already been licensed to another network.   It does, however, explain why HBO was only able to adapt The Outsider and not the entire Mr. Mercedes series.

One thing does strike me as odd but coincidental is that :

Spoiler

the character link in question, Holly Gibney, has been culturally cross cast.  IIRC she's white in the novels and in the Mr. Mercedes television series, but she's a black woman in HBO's The Outsider.

Edited by J.T.

Yeah @J.T. I’m also curious if they name drop Bill Hodges. 

I’m impressed with the fidelity to the book so far. Everything they did change was for the better. I am surprised they burned through so much of the story in the first two episodes with eight left to go. I guess it really turns into the Holly show now. 

Cynthia Erivo doesn’t match King’s description of Holly, but just from the commercials she seems to embody her in a weird way. I’ve only seen her in Bad Times at the El Royale, but she was the highlight of the picture. I haven’t watched Mr. Mercedes yet, so I have nothing to compare her against. 

Apparently several of the characters from The Outsider return in King’s next book this spring, so maybe that’ll be the basis for a second season if all goes well. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the first two episodes of The Outsider. We'll see how well it ends up as that was a book that started good then got mediocre really quick.

The Mr. Mercedes tv series is decent, though each season has been in diminishing returns IMO. I was surprised at how much I liked the first season considering the first book in the Bill Hodges series is not good at all. You can put a lot of the series being so good on how well Brendan Gleason fits the main character and a very unsettling antagonist. The actress they cast as Holly is at least a decade too young and way too conventionally attractive, but that's Hollywood for you.

Spoiler

The Bill Hodges books are adapted out of order in the series, which kind of makes sense as End of Watch is the sequel to Mr. Mercedes and Bill doesn't die at the end. I'm wondering if they make any mention to him at all.

• Like 1

Sandi Toksvig has announced that she is leaving Bake-Off after 3 seasons.

She is doing it to have more time for other projects.

She will still be doing Celebrity Bake-Off this summer

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Sandi Toksvig has announced that she is leaving Bake-Off after 3 seasons.

She is doing it to have more time for other projects.

She will still be doing Celebrity Bake-Off this summer

I presume she is staying host of QI. 

I have nothing but love for Ken Jennings.  He proved that just being smart doesn't win Jeopardy matches. 

You have to know when to buzz in and how to control the board.  

If you don't know shit about European rivers and I am Geography wiz, I am going to make sure I run that fucking category.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I presume she is staying host of QI. 

It wasn’t said specifically but I am assuming so.

The EW story I read talked that the primary reason is she is hosting a new show where they take illiterate people and teach them how to read and write and then at the end they would have a spelling bee in front of friends and family

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It wasn’t said specifically but I am assuming so.

The EW story I read talked that the primary reason is she is hosting a new show where they take illiterate people and teach them how to read and write and then at the end they would have a spelling bee in front of friends and family

Now I want to see the trash tv  network version of that. . .

8 hours ago, driver said:

I am plowing through The World According To Jeff Goldblum. The dude is so odd you can't help but like him.

My favorite thing about it is that in every episode he almost compulsively breaks out into songs from like the dust bowl era. 

Apologies if this goes elsewhere but I am compelled to raise the fact that Netflix's Dracula is one of the most uneven things I've ever seen. That first episode was absolutely tremendous with one of the most horrifying scenes I can remember, followed by an okay episode, followed by legitimately one of the worst things I've ever seen. Moffat went full on awful Dr. Who Moffat with the unearned sentimentality, emotional crescendo, and terrible supporting characters nonsense as well as bullshit logic and terrible storytelling. Immense how it swung from a really neat take on an old tale to a steaming pile of Dr. Who shit. I'd strangely recommend it because of how good the two leads are and the strength of the first episode but man... This makes the Mandalorian, which I thought was really volatile in terms of quality, look like a consistent masterpiece from beginning to end. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Apologies if this goes elsewhere but I am compelled to raise the fact that Netflix's Dracula is one of the most uneven things I've ever seen. That first episode was absolutely tremendous with one of the most horrifying scenes I can remember, followed by an okay episode, followed by legitimately one of the worst things I've ever seen. Moffat went full on awful Dr. Who Moffat with the unearned sentimentality, emotional crescendo, and terrible supporting characters nonsense as well as bullshit logic and terrible storytelling. Immense how it swung from a really neat take on an old tale to a steaming pile of Dr. Who shit. I'd strangely recommend it because of how good the two leads are and the strength of the first episode but man... This makes the Mandalorian, which I thought was really volatile in terms of quality, look like a consistent masterpiece from beginning to end. 

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ?

My wife was really excited for it, we thought the first episode was great, we watched the first 1/3 of episode 2 and I felt confused and I think we both felt it wasn't as good as episode 1 so far, but seeing your take on the series is disappointing. We're still going to watch the rest of it, but I'm not looking forward to it as much.

What it did do was make me watch the Castlevania series on Netflix. My days of enjoying anime are long, long, long over. I've tried watching and getting into Voltron and couldn't do it, Neon Genesis Evangellion is very boring, and Dragon Ball Super is also kinda boring. Castlevania is just short enough though, that I'm not bored by it and it's also not up it's own ass like a lot of anime is. I've made it through 2 episodes of the first season.

Sitting here with Futurama on Comedy Central in the background and a commercial for Awkwafina is Nora from Queens comes on. A commercial, mind you. 

Awkwafina's grandmother on the show says, uncensored, to a bank teller "Give me some of that crisp shit for my granddaughter, none of that wrinkly shit you pull out of your asshole."

Boy, how times have changed.

EDIT: I rather enjoyed Castlevania after it got rolling. The first episode did nothing for me but it picked up after that.

Edited by Curt McGirt

Excellent. I have grown very fond of shows that can come to a satisfying conclusion and not drag out and limp to a finish just doing the same thing over and over forever('m looking at you every program on CBS). Not that Saul was ever going to do that, but it befalls plenty of good shows.

They say they're ending with 63 episodes, which will be one more than Breaking Bad. That feels about right for a prequel where the Mike half of the show feels like it's covering fairly familiar territory.

While BCS never reached a fraction of the cultural significance of Breaking Bad, I may prefer it through four seasons on account of the Jimmy/Kim/Chuck half of the show. I've got high hopes for the remaining episodes. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 7:51 PM, Oyaji said:

As a Doctor Who fan, I'd take bad Who over most TV, but this sounds like they took late JNT-era Who and mixed it with Dracula 2000.

I'll still watch it, though.