DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

An another trailer for Hunters (this one billed as the "official" trailer)

This is the Jordan Peele executive produced show that has Al Pacino (in his first TV role) leading a group of Nazi hunters

Amazon Prime - Feb 21

13 hours ago, Craig H said:

He basically eviscerates nearly everyone, drops at least 2 or 3 "fucks," calls James Corden a "fat pussy," makes a remark about Judy Dench's "pussy," says this whole exercise is pointless, tells everyone to fuck off and it's his last time doing this so he doesn't care, etc.

It's glorious.

It's not as if those monologues are not pre-scripted (with, I suppose, little influence by the host himself) and reviewed.

Josie Totah has been cast as the lead of the Saved By the Bell reboot

Totah will play Lexi, who is described as a beautiful, sharp-tongued cheerleader and the most popular girl at Bayside High, who is both admired and feared by her fellow students.

Mario Lopez and Elizabeth Berkley will be reprising their roles. John Michael Higgins is the new principal (I guess Bayside finally shit canned Mr Belding)

Show will be on NBC's streaming service (called Peacock) in April

Apparently Mark Paul Gosselaar will show up at least once since this is the pitch for the show too

“When California governor Zack Morris gets into hot water for closing too many low-income high schools, he proposes they send the affected students to the highest performing schools in the state – including Bayside High. The influx of new students gives the over-privileged Bayside kids a much needed and hilarious dose of reality.”

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Josie Totah has been cast as the lead of the Saved By the Bell reboot

Mario Lopez and Elizabeth Berkley will be reprising their roles. John Michael Higgins is the new principal (I guess Bayside finally shit canned Mr Belding)

Show will be on NBC's streaming service (called Peacock) in April

Apparently Mark Paul Gosselaar will show up at least once since this is the pitch for the show too

This sounds like it could have been a thrown out plot line from Cobra Kai S2. Now, if there winds up being a huge and ridiculous fight in the high school between various factions then it for sure is something from S2. 

Also, I could almost buy Gavin Newsome as being Zack Morris-esque in HS so Zack as governor isn't much of a stretch.

Following the upcoming Breaking Bad marathon on AMC, the channel will be airing El Camino for the first time on February 16.

This is for the person here who I know is looking forward to that marathon and doesn't seem to have Netflix (?). I think I'm directing this at @Curt McGirt? Sorry if I tagged the wrong person. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2020 at 6:34 AM, caley said:

It's 4 episodes in, with two more airing Friday night, but season 2 of 'Joe Pera Talks to You' is on and it's just great.  I mean this entire season is book-ended by whether or not he can grow a bean arch.  It's my favourite show in years. It's funny, silly, weird, relaxing and completely moving and heart-warming.  I love it to bits.

Oh hell yeah. Joe Pera talks to you is one of my five or ten favourite things on TV or the internet now. Right up there with Mandalorian, the 2nd episode of the last season of GoT (the one with all the reunions where they are all preparing to die), seasons 4 and 5 of Bojack, the first season of GLOW, the first season (but not the second season) of Cobra Kai, the Adam Sandler, John Mulaney, and Eddie Murphy episodes of SNL, and Wrestlers on the Road Getting Room Service.

Joe Pera's (character's) kind, gentle, curious, open, and quietly enthusiastic approach to the many simple pleasures in his life is purely inspirational to me, and watching him engage with his world fills me with joy. Happiness and positivity are very hard to do well without falling into a Full House kind of cloying sentimentality, and this show somehow steers straight into that without being even a tiny bit mawkish. In my opinion it's a million times better and more important than 95% of the dramas that try to engage with the postmodern world by being all dark and mysterious.

Joe Pera talks to you is the diametric opposite of Rick and Morty. It's completely grounded, very positive, people only have one another's best interests at heart, nothing out-of-the-ordinary ever happens... I love both shows, I have laughed right out loud while watching both shows, and I have honestly learned from both shows. 

Edited by gordi
  • Like 2

Jeopardy GOAT night 1 spoilers follow.

Spoiler

My take about Ken being the least likely to win seems misplaced. That was a dominant first match. James didn't have control of the board often enough to employ his usual strategy. Only got close to Ken because he bet like a maniac in Final. 

Wild seeing Brad blowing it at all the wrong moments. No way that keeps happening.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Jeopardy GOAT night 1 spoilers follow.

Reveal hidden contents

My take about Ken being the least likely to win seems misplaced. That was a dominant first match. James didn't have control of the board often enough to employ his usual strategy. Only got close to Ken because he bet like a maniac in Final. 

Wild seeing Brad blowing it at all the wrong moments. No way that keeps happening.

Yeah I was quite surprised by the first night of match play.

Spoiler

Ken is winning by technique rather than pure wits.  

The guy that reads the question the fastest, comes up with the answer, and has time to buzz in first after activation usually has the most success..  Board Control is important. 

James's cautious strategy of not making guess buzz-ins is going to cost him eventually.  He's going to have to take some chances rather than depending on trivia retention and only buzzing in when he's sure he knows the answer.

I think Brad just has nerves.   There's plenty of tournament left to play and he should settle in to a grove pretty quickly.

Bill Oakley has been dropping cryptic hints about a Mission Hill related announcement on Twitter. Personally I just want it to get reissued and streamed with the full soundtrack, but if HBOMAX wants to throw money at him and Josh for a reunion mini to pair with Close Enough I'll watch it

15 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

* Screams in 한국어 *

But seriously, watch the movie, it is fucking amazing. 

Holy FUCK~!  

The movie is amazing and I'd tend to think that a longer form version limited series would be just as good since the runtime of the movie is over two hours.  There's still some story you could fill in here and there.

Edited by J.T.

Jeopardy! GOAT is continuing to kill in the ratings, and after it helped lift Mixed-ish to it's best rating ever, and Modern Family it's beat number in over a year, it helped carried a special on Epstein to number 1 in it's timeslot last night.

ABC is praying this goes long.

I can’t wait to sit down and watch The Outsider. For me, a good chunk of the book is some of King’s most absorbing work, and then the ending...but King’s gonna King. Screenwriters who adapt his stuff are usually pretty smart about cleaning up his climaxes (this comes off as a filthy sentence now that I’ve read it back.) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1