DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Well at this point Picard should have its own thread so if you want to start that with a spoiler warning in the subject - knock your socks off

But honestly in this thread - spoilers should probably always be used since who the hell knows what show will suddenly be talked about

• Like 2

Spoiler

Rei sold out the Envoys and all but Tak, Rei, and Quill's Stacks were fried by a virus.  Rei and Quill were on a ship that was destroyed and Tak believed both stacks were destroyed, but there were instead uploaded (similar to how all the Meth's have their's running backup in case of someone destroying the stack) Rei reveals that Quill's data was uploaded along with her's and that the Protectorate had it somewhere, which is what Tak leaves to go after at the end of season 1

Spoilered that for anyone that hasn't watched AC Season 1

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 2

To be fair, he caused a FUCKTON of damage and gave people that actually *are* victims of hate crimes a much harder avenue to seek justice because it just gives people somewhere to point to "They're faking it!".  It also gave the MAGAhead section that believe it's now ok to be hateful assholes in public yet LOVE playing the persecution card legitimacy in playing said card.  

He should face the repercussions of his actions, that he did to leverage the sympathy into a bigger role/paycheck.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

To be fair, he caused a FUCKTON of damage and gave people that actually *are* victims of hate crimes a much harder avenue to seek justice because it just gives people somewhere to point to "They're faking it!".  It also gave the MAGAhead section that believe it's now ok to be hateful assholes in public yet LOVE playing the persecution card legitimacy in playing said card.  

He should face the repercussions of his actions, that he did to leverage the sympathy into a bigger role/paycheck.

The amount of damage is questionable in my eyes.  The MAGA crowd didn't need him and doesn't need him to be hateful assholes.  With that said, if they would have thrown him under the jail when it originally happened, you'd not hear a peep from me, but that shit was a long ass time ago.  Going back to prosecute him seems like a big ol' waste of time.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

So we shouldn't punish someone when they break the law?  I mean, that's the way it seems to be going in the Federal Government but that's a pretty slippery slope.

I didn't drop they original charges, the prosecutor dropped the original charges.  The law decided he shouldn't have been punished for breaking the law.  It's been almost a year, and now all of a sudden they want to charge him again.  Did all other crime in Chicago go away or is Jussie Smollett secretly the second coming of Al Capone?  There has to be bigger criminals they could be focusing this kind of energy on.  

Also, here:

"Special prosecutor Dan K. Webb decided to prosecute after “the grand jury’s investigation revealed that Jussie Smollett planned and participated in a staged hate crime attack, and thereafter made numerous false statements to Chicago Police Department officers on multiple occasions, reporting a heinous hate crime that he, in fact, knew had not occurred,” according to a statement."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2020/02/11/actor-jussie-smollett-indicted-new-charges-filing-false-hate-crime-reports-last-year/

This might be behind a paywall.

Just now, Craig H said:

Again, that goes back to what Raziel asked, "so we shouldn't punish someone when they break the law?"

Dude, if you get arrested for a crime and then they tell you the charges are dropped, are you supposed to just sit around and wait until they bring that shit up again?  He got arrested, they charged him with a crime, then decided to drop the charges.  Did he do the shit again?  Is there some new evidence?  What changed in the last 11 months that made them say, "OK, now this is something we want to pursue?"  We all knew he did the shit, they decided it wasn't worth prosecuting.  That was there choice, and they made it in March of last year.  Yes you should be punished if you break the law, but once they decide the person can go, they should be able to go.  

This shit isn't double jeopardy. Just because charges were dropped doesn't mean that that the investigation suddenly stopped. Also, charges aren't always filed right away.

Here's more for you:

"A grand jury indicted Smollett on six counts of disorderly conduct, charging him with filing false reports of a hate crime, according to documents filed Tuesday. The development came almost a year after prosecutors made the controversial decision to drop multiple felony counts against Smollett. In June, a judge ruled that Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx mishandled the case and ordered a special prosecutor to investigate and to determine whether Smollett would be subject to new charges."

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

This shit isn't double jeopardy. Just because charges were dropped doesn't mean that that the investigation suddenly stopped. Also, charges aren't always filed right away.

Here's more for you:

"A grand jury indicted Smollett on six counts of disorderly conduct, charging him with filing false reports of a hate crime, according to documents filed Tuesday. The development came almost a year after prosecutors made the controversial decision to drop multiple felony counts against Smollett. In June, a judge ruled that Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx mishandled the case and ordered a special prosecutor to investigate and to determine whether Smollett would be subject to new charges."

I didn't say it was double jeopardy, I said that the time, effort, and money put into this is unreasonable.  This dude is a world class asshole, but he isn't some sort of master criminal who is a menace to society.  How many unsolved murders are on the books in Chicago?  Rapes? Robberies? Are those cases getting this much attention?  You know the kind of crimes that make the world a more dangerous place.  They had him in custody for a crime everyone on Earth knew he was guilty of committing, and they decided to drop the charges.  You know the conviction percentages after being indicted by a grand jury?  It's over 90%, they had him dead to rights and dropped the charges.  There is not a jury in the country that wouldn't have convicted him, and they dropped the charges.  A year later, they decide, let's do this dumb shit all over again.  Sure, they're allowed to do this, but it's still fucking dumb.

6 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, this is as good a place as any for this...

Personally, I probably would've created a Dumpster Fire thread so that any guaranteed toxic discussion here won't potentially get this general thread locked.

EDIT:  Ahh.  Too late....

Edited by J.T.

I will miss John Malkovich unofficially bringing the Teddy KGB character into Billions. In my head cannon, Teddy was always connected and with poker somewhat dying out in the states, he found new life being an oligarch. 

And then that shitheel Chuck got Teddy sanctioned and expelled from the country.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 6:41 PM, supremebve said:

I didn't say it was double jeopardy, I said that the time, effort, and money put into this is unreasonable.  This dude is a world class asshole, but he isn't some sort of master criminal who is a menace to society.  How many unsolved murders are on the books in Chicago?  Rapes? Robberies? Are those cases getting this much attention?  You know the kind of crimes that make the world a more dangerous place.  They had him in custody for a crime everyone on Earth knew he was guilty of committing, and they decided to drop the charges.  You know the conviction percentages after being indicted by a grand jury?  It's over 90%, they had him dead to rights and dropped the charges.  There is not a jury in the country that wouldn't have convicted him, and they dropped the charges.  A year later, they decide, let's do this dumb shit all over again.  Sure, they're allowed to do this, but it's still fucking dumb.

They got dropped the first time because the prosecutor was corrupt. Then he decided to sue the city (who were suing him). Not surprising he got charged. Also, the city is really, really mad that he made them look bad.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tabe said:

They got dropped the first time because the prosecutor was corrupt. Then he decided to sue the city (who were suing him). Not surprising he got charged. Also, the city is really, really mad that he made them look bad.

Here's the thing about the corrupt prosecutor, it's Chicago...we should assume all of their politicians are corrupt until proven otherwise.  Corruption has been the rule in Chicago for its entire history.  I'm eagerly awaiting the documentary about this entire process, and Jussie Smollet won't even have to be in it.  My whole issue with this entire thing has been that Jussie Smollet is a fucking moron, but he's not nearly the dumbest person involved in the process.  I have probably over argued about this, because fuck that guy.  At this point it really feels like the city being mad is the only reason this entire story still exists, which shouldn't be the primary justification for anything in the legal system.

• Like 1