DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Also, it sucks to hear that Bauer got the shaft when Wahl walked for it getting too ridiculous, he's still a favorite of mine and deserved better. 

I'm not a big fan of his, but to be fair, I thought the material sucked.  He and Jonathan Banks and Jim "Highlander" Byrne were better than the material.  The revamped show changed the aesthetic and tone of the show to a fairly radical degree and didn't do much to make the new characters interesting or likable.  The first arc mostly seemed like a riff on Miami Vice and at the end of the arc, they appeared to be dropping the "deep undercover" aspect of the show.  I kinda think that was network interference.  Once of the knocks on the show was that the long arc made it hard for new fans to jump in.

Edited by Doc Townsend

In lieu of everything that has been going on - Paramount Network has cancelled Cops (the reruns had already been pulled)

It had had 32 seasons

A&E has pulled new episodes of Live PD however they are expected to start airing again eventually

I forgot the Paramount Network is a thing - even though I apparently get it as part of my cable package.

Edit: Did NBC announce if Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist is going to be renewed or not?  Google is suprisngly little help.  Wife and I started watching the show over the weekend and love it so far.

Edited by Doc Townsend

41 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

I forgot the Paramount Network is a thing - even though I apparently get it as part of my cable package.

Edit: Did NBC announce if Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist is going to be renewed or not?  Google is suprisngly little help.  Wife and I started watching the show over the weekend and love it so far.

This says cancelled.

Edited by driver

Finished THE GREAT on Hulu over the weekend, and I absolutely loved it.  It jumps to another level when Catherine starts actively scheming to take the throne about midway through.  Highly recommended for fans of Iannucci shows and SUCCESSION.  Also kind of has a DEADWOOD vibe, with the way it creates amazing dialogue by mixing Enlightenment-era speech with a constant stream of the most vile modern cursing you’ve ever heard.

HUZZAH.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And Live PD is officially cancelled 

Who knew that putting racist ass Williamson County sheriffs on tv would be a bad idea?  And the idea that they erased the Javier Ambler tape is insane

Wilco sheriffs have been awful forever. Only police racism issue I’ve witnessed with my own two eyes was those guys at work back in high school. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 10:34 AM, Doc Townsend said:

@J.H.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/zoeys-extraordinary-playlist-renewed-season-2-nbc-1202924053/

On 6/8/2020 at 4:41 AM, Greggulator said:

I just started the first season of Ramy. This show is fantastic. I grew up not too far from Jersey City and Paterson, which are home to a lot of North Jersey’s Muslim communities. I think I maybe worked with one or two people who were Muslim during summer jobs in college but there was no crossover at all between “regular Americans” (re: white people) and people from the Middle East. I imagine it is like that everywhere. 

The show is such an awesome view into what at least the Egyptian-American and Islamic-American communities are like. 

Oddly, I find it relatable. Ramy is going through a spiritual crisis and I have gone through a few of those. I was going through a tough time in my early 20s with a lot of stuff and really dug into being Catholic. Then I went through a few other periods when I went through other stuff. Eventually, I became and Episcopalian when I felt another “Why am I here and how do my beliefs line up with my faith?” debate. 

But, yes, this is just a really great show that is somehow really specific and universal. A+ and I heard Season 2 is even better.

It's really good. Finished S2 last week. Loved it.

That first season ep where he's talking to the mother of Steve while fucked up on gummys was the most awkward thing I have ever seen on TV. I howled.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/the-bachelor-matt-james-abc-1202957449/

The Bachelor announces its first African-American Bachelor, whose shows will presumably air early next year if they can resume taping this fall.

He was supposed to be a contestant for this summer's Bachelorette, but production shut down on the first day of filming (allegedly the show's next Bachelorette season will feature the same woman from this year and a mix of men picked in 2020 and 2021.)

I watched this show with my wife for several years. I never understood it and I spent most of the time doing MST3K-style riffs, My wife, who was a teacher, spent her time fixing the grammatical errors the contestants made.

On 6/11/2020 at 10:42 PM, Raziel said:

Fuck,  if they don't renew Manifest, my wife is gonna go looking for heads.

Apparently, NBC is still negotiating with the producers for season 3.  Supposedly, a deal is close.

Finished Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist this morning.  My favorite NBC show in forever.  The full cast rendition of "American Pie" to close out the season finale broke me.  

Hopefully, they upgrade the actors who played Tobin and Leif to the main cast.  Leif was one of the more interesting characters and Michael Thomas Grant handled the musical numbers really well.

Thought the writing in the back half lagged at times.  The love triangle does nothing for me.  The dad baggage gave Simon depth as a character and provided a reason for him to bond with Zoey, but I've seen the sensitive guy-handsome guy-girl angle a hundred times before and the wife and I are firmly Team Max.  On  the other hand, the actor playing Simon might be our favorite singer in the cast, so I do hope he sticks around.

Related to that, Zoey and Max having a falling out and not talking seemed forced.  Max never seemed like the sort of person who'd call his best friend out while Zoey's dad was dying.

Great show.  

Haven't had a great week for new shows.

Snowpiercer = boring

I Know This Much Is True = pretentiously self indulgent boring

Big School = Muchly unfunny. Catherine Tate being so one note was old during The Office.

Really enjoying Hightown - nice little crime drama. Watched all of Sick Note (Netflix) - not incredibly sure why. The ginger from Harry Potter fakes cancer with Nick Frost, then Lindsay Lohan shows up. It's not quite "so bad its good", but I couldn't stop watching either. 

As lame as Billions started out this season, it really did get better with each episode. Finally going all in on Axe being a creep and an evil guy and Chuck trying to do things the right way has helped even if all of the dialogue kinda stinks. Last night's episode was the perfect mid-season finale.

Crossing Swords, by the Robot Chicken crew I think, is so silly it's a blast. I'm maybe halfway through and the show isn't dragging like I thought it would. Silly mindless fun.

F is For Family, damn. Binged the new season before trying out Crossing Swords and just, damn. So much heart. 

Here is the full NBC Fall lineup and yes Manifest survived

Here's the planned schedule:

Monday

8-10 p.m. — The Voice

10-11 p.m. — Manifest

Tuesday

8-9 p.m. — The Voice

9-10 p.m. — This Is Us

10-11 p.m. — New Amsterdam

Wednesday

8-9 p.m. — Chicago Med

9-10 p.m. — Chicago Fire

10-11 p.m. — Chicago P.D.

Thursday

8-8:30 p.m. — Superstore

8:30-9 p.m. — Brooklyn Nine-Nine

9-10 p.m. — Law & Order: SVU

10-11 p.m. — Law & Order: Organized Crime

Friday

8-9 p.m. — The Blacklist

9-11 p.m. — Dateline NBC

Saturday

8-10 p.m. — Dateline Saturday Night Mystery

10-11 p.m. – Saturday Night Live (encores)

Sunday

7-8:20 p.m. — Football Night in America

8:20-11 p.m. — NBC Sunday Night Football

I am a little curious what is going on with the Voice because when it ended last month (with the awkward performances from home) - they hadn't been able to start taping the next season (and that is usually like 3 to 4 months in advance).

In fact they only just announced like a day or two ago that Gwen Stefani was back (replacing Nick Jonas)

So either its gonna be auditions from home (which I can't even begin to imagine how they would do it) or auditions without an audience (awkward and soulless)

Or I guess the third option of PACK EVERYONE IN! THE SUN KILLS ALL! IGNORE THAT CALIFORNIA IS A SHITSHOW RIGHT NOW!