DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I've been watching a lot of The First 48 since the lockdown began, and it seems that every murder victim was a "good dude" who "the local children looked up to," even if the photos they show make the murder victim look like a strung out meth addict with no teeth.

Aside from filming in New York and L.A. instead of Tulsa, Cleveland, and New Orleans, I wish just once, an episode would feature narrator Dion Graham saying the following:

Dion Graham: "...neighbors say that the murder victim was a total sleazebag, who hung around elementary school playgrounds and liked to get 16-year old girls hooked on heroin as part of a complex scam to lure them into prostitution."

Victim's Widow:  "He was a bad dude, thank God he's dead."

• Haha 2

I’m really enjoying THE GREAT. The obvious comparison is THE FAVOURITE, but this is much darker and has much more court intrigue. Phenomenal cast. Elle Fanning is amazing. Nicolas Hoult has been a hard sell for me, because something about his face makes me want to punch it, but between this and FURY ROAD, I’ve turned around.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Control said:

I’m really enjoying THE GREAT. The obvious comparison is THE FAVOURITE, but this is much darker and has much more court intrigue. Phenomenal cast. Elle Fanning is amazing. Nicolas Hoult has been a hard sell for me, because something about his face makes me want to punch it, but between this and FURY ROAD, I’ve turned around.

It probably helps that you’re supposed to want to punch him in this.

I’ve watched a few episodes and enjoyed it.  I think people who enjoy Iannucci’s shows will probably like it a lot.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Control said:

Nicolas Hoult has been a hard sell for me, because something about his face makes me want to punch it,

I feel the same way about Miles Teller.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

I feel the same way about Miles Teller.

That's what made Whiplash great. People who love Miles Teller can watch it and be like "aw, poor Miles Teller..." and people who hate Miles Teller can be like "hehe...get 'im."

Tonight on Buzzr: George Peppard smokes a cigarette in his undershirt on Password Plus.

This would be either right before or after he got sober and he does not give a fuck.

• Haha 1

Started a trial for CBS All Access for Picard. I watched one episode. Okay. Whatevs. I might try another. I started watching Women Who Kill just for S&G and I am really enjoying and it's all because of Lucy Liu. She chews so much scenery it is glorious.

2 minutes ago, driver said:

Started a trial for CBS All Access for Picard. I watched one episode. Okay. Whatevs. I might try another. I started watching Women Who Kill just for S&G and I am really enjoying and it's all because of Lucy Liu. She chews so much scenery it is glorious.

At least watch the episode with .... some old friends. 

14 hours ago, Eivion said:

Anyone catch the first episode of the Snow Piercer tv series? I'm curious to see what people here think of it.

I watched the first ep.  Ep 2 is still on the DVR (oh, and now ep 3 is, too), so that tells you about my excitement level about it I guess.  I went into it cold; I knew its general conceit but never read the source material or watched other adaptations.  It's okay.  My big turn off is that they seem to be going all "mystery box" with it (a few conversations in the show hinted at deeper things going on, etc that we'll maybe find out more about later) and I'm really really tired of mystery box bullshit.  We'll probably give it another episode and see.

I'm always happy to see Steven Ogg getting more work, though.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

This season of Billions is rough to watch.

Axe hits cartoon super villain levels ridiculous. 

Is Wags still annoying as fuck? That character is half the reason I stopped watching originally after Season 3.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

This season of Billions is rough to watch.

Axe hits cartoon super villain levels ridiculous. 

Yeaaah...This season has been very cartoony, even by Billions standards. It makes me want Succession even more. The show still isn't terrible or anything, but all of Chuck's dialogue, Axe never losing, no one ever really losing, the never ending carousel of new cast members where it's obvious they aren't going to matter at some point, and the never ending carousel of Chuck vs Axe is wearing very thin.

25 minutes ago, Casey said:

Is Wags still annoying as fuck? That character is half the reason I stopped watching originally after Season 3.

Wags is still annoying as fuck as still speaks in a way that no one else does and if they did they sure as hell wouldn't be COO of a company, let alone have any friends. Same goes for how Chuck talks.

• Like 1

The episode with Axe taking down the school principal was probably the shark jumping moment.

It almost seems like they're exaggerating his Trump like speech patterns and mannerisms at times too.

No real interest in how this feud with the Ant Man villain goes.

I liked early season Wags, but again, another devolved cartoon overtly hedonistic version of himself that they never show why he's so good at what he does professionally. I like the premise of him trying to reconnect with his kids...instead played for cheap laughs.

I miss Brian.

• Like 1

Uh, yeah.   I could see if Craig were defending his home or his business, but a private citizen shooting looters just because is still murder.   You'd have thought Craig would know that given his job as show writer for SVU....... well...... the show he used to write for.

Edited by J.T.

47 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Uh, yeah.   I could see if Craig were defending his home or his business, but a private citizen shooting looters just because is still murder.   You'd have thought Craig would know that given his job as show writer for SVU....... well...... the show he used to write for.

Man, I didn't have shit to do with this.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4