DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On the Elisabeth Moss front - I'm pretty sure Mad Men and The Handmaid's Tale are way more popular than Psych, Suits, Doubt (whatever that is) and Ballers combined.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tabe said:

Janney has done 150 episodes of top-rated Mom and TONS of movies, including a well-received role as the mother of Tonya Harding. She has had an outstanding career post-Wing. I'd be stunned if anybody on the cast has made more money than her after the show. And good for her. I love her. Such a supreme talent. 

Hill got credited as a producer on Psych for six or so years of the run.  I'm kind of assuming that netted him a large share of whatever syndication/international rights/rerun money there was.

Otherwise, yeah, Janney and Moss by a walk.  And they've probably gotten the best pick of roles of anyone in the cast, post-West Wing.

Once saw an interview with Janney (years ago now, before Mom but after West Wing) where she told a story about how her first casting agent advised her to give up acting.  The agent told her that she was too tall and would mostly only be cast as a Klingon.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1

Anyone actually subscribe to Acorn TV?  It appears to be/mostly BBC police dramas and procedurals.  They have dozens of shows listed (60-100) and I'm familiar with only a few of them.

Comcast is running a one-week free trials of channel as part of it's Watchathon week.  Anyone want to recommend anything.  I"ll probably end up watching Line of Duty and that may take the week, but I'd like to know what else is worth checking out.  I might be interested in subscribing.   

6 hours ago, Casey said:

On the Elisabeth Moss front - I'm pretty sure Mad Men and The Handmaid's Tale are way more popular than Psych, Suits, Doubt (whatever that is) and Ballers combined.

Not to chase this to far down, but despite critical acclaim and all the articles, Mad Men at it's peak didn't come close to Psych's viewership numbers at its peak (though Mad Men did grow throughout it's run while Pysch limped to it's finish)

In 2007, Pysch had nearly double the viewership

5 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Hill got credited as a producer on Psych for six or so years of the run.  I'm kind of assuming that netted him a large share of whatever syndication/international rights/rerun money there was.

Otherwise, yeah, Janney and Moss by a walk.  And they've probably gotten the best pick of roles of anyone in the cast, post-West Wing.

Once saw an interview with Janney (years ago now, before Mom but after West Wing) where she told a story about how her first casting agent advised her to give up acting.  The agent told her that she was too tall and would mostly only be cast as a Klingon.

Her career is remarkable. She's really tall and not "conventionally attractive". And yet she's still had a huge career. 

16 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Yeah ewwwwwww.

I quite like Corey Stoll having a run in the Billions territory though.

So far Corey Stoll is the best part of Billions, but they're going to do to him what they do to every guest star. It will eventually be revealed he's corrupt and then through a bunch of deus ex machinas or chicanery he'll wind up getting double crossed by Chuck and go to prison or will get defeated by Axe and his one season run will be over.

Anybody here seen the last, wrestling themed, DuckTales episode?

I am currently rewatching Battlestar Galactica (the 2004 version) and I am in the middle of season 2. When I was watching the show back then I did not realize how rushed the whole Pegasus storyline is, within one episode from the Pegasus turning up out-of-nowhere to being on the brink of a shooting-war (and in between they had the demotion of three key characters, attempted rape that ended up with the would-be-rapist dead and the people responsible for the death put on trial and convicted, stories told about murder, rape and torture on the Pegasus and so on). They could have easily stretched that to half a season if not longer and it would not have felt particularly slow.

11 minutes ago, Robert s said:

The quiet distain my wife radiated as I explained to the seven-year-old what a battle royal was. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, ComingToAmerica said:

That's true, but The Sopranos wasn't really that much different. 

I finished up my run with the second season of Gomorra (three and four aren't on Netflix) and they take that trope and amp it up to a new character introduced and killed EVERY EPISODE. Just about, anyway. And then at the end of each season they whack out a major character just for shits and grins. 

2 hours ago, Robert s said:

It was wonderful

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

The quiet distain my wife radiated as I explained to the seven-year-old what a battle royal was. 

And somehow the episode is now even better to me after hearing this.

Fox revealed is Fall lineup and I am amused all the folks who are all "ITS PANDEMIC PROOF!!!" because clearly there is no chance anything will happen to football ?

Anyway

Here is Fox's schedule:

FOX FALL 2020 SCHEDULE

(All Times ET/PT)

MONDAY

8:00-9:00 PM                          L.A.’S FINEST (network television debut)

9:00-10:00 PM                        NEXT (new series)

TUESDAY

8:00-9:00 PM                          COSMOS: POSSIBLE WORLDS (network television debut)=

9:00-10:00 PM                        FILTHY RICH (new series)

WEDNESDAY

8:00-9:00 PM                          THE MASKED SINGER (new season)

9:00-10:00 PM                        MASTERCHEF JUNIOR (new season)

THURSDAY

7:30-8:00 PM ET/                   FOX NFL THURSDAY PRESENTED BY VERIZON

4:30-5:00 PM PT

8:00-8:19 PM ET/                   GMC KICKOFF SHOW

5:00-5:19 PM PT

8:20 PM-CC ET/                      THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL PRESENTED BY BUD LIGHT PLATINUM

5:20 PM-CC PT

FRIDAY

8:00-10:00 PM                        WWE’S FRIDAY NIGHT SMACKDOWN

SATURDAY

7:00-10:30 PM                        FOX SPORTS SATURDAY

SUNDAY

7:00-7:30 PM                          NFL ON FOX

7:30-8:00 PM                          THE OT / FOX ENCORES

8:00-8:30 PM                          THE SIMPSONS (new season)

8:30-9:00 PM                          BLESS THE HARTS (new season)

9:00-9:30 PM                          BOB’S BURGERS (new season)

9:30-10:00 PM                        FAMILY GUY (new season)

LA Finest is just a re-airing of the Gabrielle Union/Jessica Alba Bad Boys spinoff that was already on Spectrum

Cosmos already aired on Nat Geo

Filty Rich and NEXT were both originally supposed to mid-season/summer shows but were held till the Fall and were taped before all this started

Upload on Amazon Prime is really good, ya'll. You should watch it. I no longer hate Robbie Amell as an actor!

It's weird that both Daniels and Schur did shows, fairly recently, pertaining to the afterlife. I think this one is better, but I never could get into the Good Place (as discussed before in the Parks & Rec thread). All that Upload is lacking is the star power that Good Place had with Kristen Bell and Ted Danson, though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

USA has cancelled both Treadstone and The Purge and will be moving almost entirely away from scripted original programming and focusing on reality tv crap for their original programming.

I guess Characters Aren't Welcome anymore at USA.

Oof.  I was about to post that, in light of this, I'm glad Queen of the South was renewed for a 5th season already, but also that this news does not have me hopeful for season 6.  But then I just read that covid is holding up production and it may not air until March of 2021.  And now I'm wondering if USA might not just bag the show.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Oof.  I was about to post that, in light of this, I'm glad Queen of the South was renewed for a 5th season already, but also that this news does not have me hopeful for season 6.  But then I just read that covid is holding up production and it may not air until March of 2021.  And now I'm wondering if USA might not just bag the show.

Someone light a candle for Aziz's nephew.

And yeah, this is all pretty disappointing. I guess whatever Sam Esmail does next won't be on USA. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Andy Greenwald’s BRIARPATCH made it through these cuts (which is an Esmail joint, technically!).  THE SINNER, too.

The Dealine article makes it sound like they’re going to stay in the event/limited series business.

• Like 1