DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I'm happy I didn't watch it now. I almost did because the commercials and previews looked good.

The season finale for Dave was fucking great. I hope it sticks around for awhile because this easily fills the void left by You're the Worst.

5 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

We're technically into the 2nd quarter of the year....

Time no longer has any meaning.

But yeah... I realized that a day or two ago. Might as well roll with it until Q3

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The wife and I started watching Upload today on Amazon Prime, and it's interesting? The Good Place meets, well, the weird indy videogame SOMA? I'm sure there's a more accurate/commonly understood influence... My main issue so far is how it can't decide whether it's over the top comedy or serious cyber espionage. Entertaining, though. 

It's funny you said it that way because I was debating starting it and then I went "Ya know - I probably should finish The Good Place first"

• Like 1

14 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Didn't realize it had been announced. Thanks. 

I'd been kind of expecting it anyway, but the way they went about it is bad. I hope when I watch the whole episode it's not as bad as that scene. 

Yep, they announced it last Wednesday and it was all over Twitter.  It was almost impossible not to get spoiled.

48 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

CBS has pulled the plug on the David E Kelly adaptation of The Lincoln Lawyer

That’s one of those movies that feels like the pilot for a tv show, so it probably would have been successful. 

I started Succession over the weekend, and I am 4 episodes into it. I'm not sure how I can avoid ending every meeting with "fuck off" at work for the foreseeable future.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, (BP) said:

That’s one of those movies that feels like the pilot for a tv show, so it probably would have been successful. 

Eh, it wa being developed by David E. Kelley and had a cast of names people might not recognize.  Kelley was a big name in the late 90's when Ally McBeal and the Practice were on the air, but since 2005 he's mostly been associated with a string of failures and pilots that didn't get picked up.  Do you remember The Wedding Bells?  The Crazy Ones?  Monday Mornings or Harry's Law?

He is responsible for Big Little Lies and has a couple shows still going (I think) on streaming services?  Is Goliath still ongoing (though i think Kelley left the show after season 1)?

None of the names announced as casting were noteworthy.  Kiele Sanchez was the only one I recognized and that's basically from watching a season or two of the Glades.

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

CBS has pulled the plug on the David E Kelly adaptation of The Lincoln Lawyer

Funny story: I really enjoyed the movie but held off on seeing it.  You see, I don't like historical films and for the longest time I literally thought it was a movie depicting the life of Abraham Lincoln's attorney. 

Gomorrah is on Netflix so I'm thinking about starting on it. Any fans? I think I rented the movie when it came out, but don't remember much. I read the book by Saviano as well and fuck, that one will definitely let the air out of your tires. I wonder if he's still living under 24 hour guard, or thinks things have cooled off enough to live a normal life by now. Probably not.

10 hours ago, Execproducer said:

Finally something to get excited about.

NSFW for language.

Nearly all of us are teleworking so language like that may very well be perfectly fine in some places.  My 17 year old daughter must hear the f-bomb at least twice a day from me.  

Jim Gaffigan will play former Toronto mayor Rob Ford in a limited AMC series

Michael Dowse (What If, Stuber, Goon) reportedly will be the director

It is supposedly a dark comedy

On 5/3/2020 at 1:13 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Billions spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

I hate this.

e530f2d0-8d4d-11ea-b087-a79e64928ce9_800

I think Becky's cameo on Billions was maybe the cringiest moment in the history of that series.

Billions feels like such a dumb show that's completely on a treadmill where it's always Bobby vs Rhodes, everyone talks like a weirdo, and yet I can't stop watching.

It's basically the rotisserie chicken I get from Costco that makes me really wish I had a Thanksgiving dinner (Succession) instead. Acceptable, but I know which is better.

• Like 1