DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Watched a bit of SyFy Network's 81-hour Battlestar Galactica (200-ish reboot, not original).   Liked most of what I watched.  Probably have to marathon this at some point.  Season 4 seemed out there to me, but it's unfair to say that having only seen bits and pieces of the first three seasons.  

That said, for fans of the show, the season four midseason finale (followed by a six-month break) had to be a punch to the gut:

Spoiler

Season four seems like it ratcheted up the tension.  The humans make a truce with a cylon faction and finally find the way to Earth.  Last scene has a group of the notable characters flying down to earth, getting out of the shuttle,..... and realizing Earth is an desolate, uninhabitable planet that was destroyed by some catastrophe or other.  Ugh.  What a note to go to haitus on...

The mini series and first two seasons are untouchable level great television. Three and four are a lot rockier and more inconsistent, but there's a mini-arc in 4.5 that's amongst my favorite stories in tv history.

Finally finished Breaking Bad. 

I started watching it years ago before it finished up. Probably around the time everyone else binged it on Netflix. I got through the first season and went like two-three years before I watched another episode. THen watched Seasons two and three then went another 2 years. Then watched like three episodes of Season 4 and went another year. Then Rona happened and me and the wife decided to just get it over with. I was just tired of avoiding spoilers for so long. I really didn't know how it ended. I only knew Jesse lived because El Camino came out.

It wasn't that the show was bad. It's really good. I just found it really easy to put it off.  

It's certainly one of the best complete shows from start to finish I've ever seen, but I don't like to watch many TV shows, so my opinion is probably worthless. I think there was only one death that really put me off and felt like cheap heat. Second half of Season 5 had me weeping like every episode just seeing how RUINED everyone was. But I like that it went there. Like "no turning back this is over."

• Like 3

We've been watching a lot of Buzzr lately and I think a lot of modern game shows should take a page from the 70s' book and have many of their contestants be very obviously on cocaine.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Zimbra said:

We've been watching a lot of Buzzr lately and I think a lot of modern game shows should take a page from the 70s' book and have many of their contestants be very obviously on cocaine.

I guess Toots Mondt would've been a great booker for those shows given his name.

Welllll...The Big Show Show is fucking terrible. I mean, I like Show as much as the next guy and it's inoffensive I guess but, yeah, it's really not very good. 

I have though recently started watching Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt for the very first time and it is very, very, very, very, very good. 

What I'm trying to say is it's very good.

That being said, the Xan/Kimmy interactions are the best part of the whole show and I don't know now if Xan has been completely written out of it. Hopefully not.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 5:48 PM, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Welllll...The Big Show Show is fucking terrible. I mean, I like Show as much as the next guy and it's inoffensive I guess but, yeah, it's really not very good. 

I cringed so hard when I saw the trailer. It looked like every bad network TV comedy cliche rolled into one big mess. Poor Show is such a nice guy that he'll do anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I legit have no idea what you are talking about because if it was already posted in this thread I am not seeing it

For whatever reason your post was showing the exact same tweet that WNBB posted of Nick Offerman recording "Fremulon." Around a day later it showed up as the instagram post of the Homecoming trailer.

Oh yeah, I binged 9 episodes of Dave on FX/Hulu. It is such a ridiculously awesome series. I already liked Lil Dicky's YouTube stuff, but this series blew me away. First of all, it's funny as hell. Secondly, never in my wildest dreams did I expect a comedy like this to leave me in tears at multiple times. I don't want to spoil it, but during the season they tackle subject matter that I've rarely seen handled so well. And the penultimate episode of the season hit hard too.

I highly suggest checking it out if none of you haven't.

• Like 1

Finishing up the first season of Dave, and damn am I surprised at how good it is. The first time I ever heard of Lil Dickey was for a Trojan condom commercial where he referred to himself as "Rapper-Actor-Model" Lil Dickey. Got past that though. This show is fucking hilarious.

• Like 1

Guys, I think we might have a new leader in the clubhouse for Worst Final Episode of All-Time:  DISPATCHES FROM ELSEWHERE.

This was a perfectly enjoyable little show for 9 episodes...then the finale is *literally* about Jason Segel figuratively crawling up his own ass. That sentence makes sense if you've seen the episode.  It is an absolutely breathtaking blunder, a slow-motion car crash.

Edited by EVA