DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Anyone watching this season of Brockmire? It's the final season. Not a big fan of the forward in time storyline but I still get a laugh out of the show every now and then. Probably should have ended after last season.

I also started watching Belgravia on Epix. The acting was pretty good and it's got Alice Eve so i'm willing to give it a try until Spectrum cuts off the Epix free trial.

Just a reminder, What We Do In The Shadows resumes tonight on FX. Prepare to laugh your ass off.

EDIT: Two new episodes! Great as always. In the first one they have trouble with a new familiar played by the kid from The Sixth Sense I think, second one they are visited by ghosts, which for some reason they don't think exist at first. You might want to turn on the subtitles so you can laugh at the absurd made-up language in all the spells that get recited in these two.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

I'll admit that I skipped the Psych trailer (which I'm very interested in) and the Saved by the Bell one (which was something which was a big part of my life in middle school) but did watch the Punky Brewster one (which was something my sister was very into when I was much younger), primarily because I know exactly what the first two are but couldn't quite wrap my head around the third. 

It's all moot because 1) it's not actually something I'd watch and 2) there's no way we're getting peacock unless they do a month free at some point like CBS All Access is right now. Which stinks because I want the 7 year old to be able to watch Cleopatra in Space.

The ghost head cave episode of Punky Brewster freaked me out as a kid, btw.

https://www.pophorror.com/a-very-scary-punky-brewster-episode/

• Like 1

SyFy dusted off Xena: Warrior Princess and is running a marathon today (and every Thursday for awhile, I think).  The show.... has not aged well.

Also, I feel really old when they go to/from commercial.  The show’s stars are hosting the marathon from their homes (via webcam) and seeing 50-something Lucy Lawless looking and sounding like someone's kindly but matronly mother is kinda jarring.  

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

23 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just a reminder, What We Do In The Shadows resumes tonight on FX. Prepare to laugh your ass off.

EDIT: Two new episodes! Great as always. In the first one they have trouble with a new familiar played by the kid from The Sixth Sense I think, second one they are visited by ghosts, which for some reason they don't think exist at first. You might want to turn on the subtitles so you can laugh at the absurd made-up language in all the spells that get recited in these two.

Zappitdee-dooo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On April 14, 2020 at 11:54 PM, Tim Evans said:

Anyone watching this season of Brockmire? It's the final season. Not a big fan of the forward in time storyline but I still get a laugh out of the show every now and then. Probably should have ended after last season.

I tried the first episode and the time jump really took me out of it so I haven't continued. I might try to watch again as I really liked the first season and most of the second.

Just once, I want to see a contestant on a reality show, after they've gotten onto the show, just turnout to be a complete sarcastic asshole who refuses to go along with the producers' attempts to manufacture drama.

Ex: A guy gets onto American Idol and during the audition he acts like all the other wannabes: eager to be on the show and starstruck by Lionel, Katy, ect., but then during the show itself they became antagonistic and cynical and during the "talking heads" segment he's just a total dick:

"So we're filming this week's episode in Tahiti, and I got really *bleep* last night and hooked up with this insanely hot flight attendant from Poland, and then the producers wake me up at 5 in the god*bleep*nd morning and tell me I have to get dressed so they can film me watching the sunrise.  And I'm like...'I never get up before 11 AM,' and they're like 'Well, you're gonna be in violation of the contest rules if you don't do this' so I get up and go down to the damned beach and watch the sunrise like some sort of tourist moron, and the whole time the producer is like, 'Could you please put down that bottle of scotch,' and I just pretend I can't hear her, because this is Old Smuggler and this stuff is really tough to find in the islands.

And then I have to sit on that couch while the judges critique my performance from last night, and Lionel starts talking about how I need to show more emotion in my performance, and I just snap.  Dude, you sang Dancing on the Ceiling.  Fuck you if you think you you have any sort of advice you can give me.

And then Katy starts trying to play peacemaker and calm things down, so I just go off on her.  She gets all mad when I pull up tabloid photos of her without makeup on my cell phone and then the producers stop filming and tell me I need to leave.  What the *bleep??!!!???"

• Haha 3

On 4/17/2020 at 3:36 PM, RIPPA said:

Not sure if anyone was watching it but Freeform cancelled the Party of Five reboot

Like most people, I wasn't even aware Freeform existed.

EDIT: Ah, it's the newest name for The Family Channel, my bad.

But still, this reboot barely got any coverage beyond the initial announcement and according to the Hollywood Reporter, it was barely registering 250,000 viewers per episode.

Edited by Southside Jim

I'm tempted to go back and check out Homeland because I stopped maybe 2 or 3 episodes into the first season after Brody dies. I think my biggest hangup was not being able to stand Claire Danes, the silly over the top jazz music to show when Carrie is losing her mind, all of the push and pull over whether Saul is a bad guy, Claires Danes crying face, Claire Danes over the top performance when she's losing her mind, etc.

But at least Homeland is being given an ending unlike Ray Donovan, which just makes me regret sticking with that show as long as I did.

18 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'm tempted to go back and check out Homeland because I stopped maybe 2 or 3 episodes into the first season after Brody dies. I think my biggest hangup was not being able to stand Claire Danes, the silly over the top jazz music to show when Carrie is losing her mind, all of the push and pull over whether Saul is a bad guy, Claires Danes crying face, Claire Danes over the top performance when she's losing her mind, etc.

But at least Homeland is being given an ending unlike Ray Donovan, which just makes me regret sticking with that show as long as I did.

Showtime relented and Ray Donovan is going to get some sort of wrap-up, either a movie or another (maybe short?) season.

I'd say revisit Homeland.  It does take a little to get back on track after the awful season 3 ("Brody is still alive and addicted to smack!") but it's just great once it finds itself.

31 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

They didn't finish Ray Donovan? What kind of move is that to pull? If I hadn't stopped watching two or three seasons ago I'd be pissed.

It was really weird for them to just up and cancel it. They did so not long after the season finale. When the news first came out I thought it meant that the show would get one more season, but no, they just straight up cancelled it. Now though, there's rumors it might return in some form. Who knows.

Don't know if anyone else has been watching The Plot Against America, but the finale last night is probably the best episode of TV I've seen this year. Given the current climate, adapting material like that can lead to some clunky winks about what's going on in the real world. Blessedly, they never got too cute. Also fairly even-handed in how by the end, things were so awful and miserable that I felt bad for even some of the people who've needed a slap the whole series through. The phone calls between Bess and Selden were absolutely harrowing. 

New season of Ozark was fun and I'm enjoying the new batch of Bosch, but both shows would be more enjoyable with a "previously on" recap at the top of each episode. I'm surprised streaming services still haven't figured this out. 

I'm pretty much swearing off all reality TV until I know for sure that a finale was taped for the current season.  

Got to what I thought was the penultimate episode of Ink Master, it gets to the end and without mentioning anything else about it just says the finale will not be able to be put on live in the current climate and the three finalists will split the prize money.  I get it, but it's still a letdown.  

Ozark season 3 was pretty good. Definitely better than season 2, maybe even better than season 1. My biggest issue is that I really can't stand Darlene and now she is more prominent than ever.

15 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Don't know if anyone else has been watching The Plot Against America, but the finale last night is probably the best episode of TV I've seen this year. Given the current climate, adapting material like that can lead to some clunky winks about what's going on in the real world. Blessedly, they never got too cute. Also fairly even-handed in how by the end, things were so awful and miserable that I felt bad for even some of the people who've needed a slap the whole series through. The phone calls between Bess and Selden were absolutely harrowing. 

New season of Ozark was fun and I'm enjoying the new batch of Bosch, but both shows would be more enjoyable with a "previously on" recap at the top of each episode. I'm surprised streaming services still haven't figured this out. 

The Plot Against America was really good, as you mentioned those phone call scenes with Bess and Selden were harrowing and both Zoe Kazan and the kid who played Selden deserve awards for them.

Spoiler

When the gun shots went off while they were on the phone I jumped out of my chair and screamed SHIT! When Selden somewhat calms down and tells Bess "my mom's dead" it's so heartbreaking and with his expression when they pick him up in Kentucky. 

In the alternative history stuff I don't buy the real Anne Lindbergh making a speech like that since she was an anti-semite just like her husband, also I don't see Congress allowing what was basically a do over election in 1942.