DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

New season of The Challenge...Wes put's new guy Asaf's name into the elimination, like 50% of the house follows his lead.  Asaf says Wes' name and Wes gets pissed and calls him of all things a follower.  No one else even thought about Wes, but as soon as he blew up the tribunal decided, he'll want to go against Wes.  For someone who thinks that they're smart, Wes is incredibly dumb.  But, of course they vote in Jay, the dude who I didn't even realize was on the show until they called him out for elimination.  The rules of this game are, be a drunken asshole, and cause a scene no matter how little the insult.  The absolute wrong thing to do is act like a reasonable human being, it's a surefire way to be called out.

Other observations:

Nany, knows that nothing in this game is promised, and if you want some new booty day one is the best time to get it.  

There was a time when CT was the clear physical ideal for this game, but there are at least 3 dudes his size on this season.  

The fact that multiple people immediately realized the problem with the loser of the elimination's strategy means that these people spend all their time thinking about this show.  It's legitimately some of these people's full time job.

They are living in a bunker this season, and you can immediately tell the people who play the game to win challenges, because they are excited that they have a full gym and 40 yards of turf to run sprints in the "house."  You can also tell the ones who are there for a free vacation, and/or to sleep their way to a victory...because they're pissed.  

The twist at the end kind of changes the game in a way that makes the strategy of the game far more interesting.  I honestly hope they keep the rule going forward, because it makes so much sense.  

I've taken a few seasons off, but in this time of social isolation, I'm going to try to keep up with this season.

I have no idea why but we're still hate watching Empire but we will be until the final episode this season.  Last night I said "holy fuck when does this season end???"  Turns out it's ending early because they didn't finish shooting the last two episodes before coronavirus-related shutdown.  So the final episode is going to be whatever the third to last episode was, frankensteined with the precious little they shot for the penultimate episode, and whatever else they can fit together.  A fitting end to a promising show that just went so far off the rails.  Every character is unlikable and nonsensical, and was absolutely flanderized over the course of later seasons.  What a shitshow.  I'm glad Terrence Howard is retiring to pursue his true calling of creating his own branch of quantum mathematics where 1 x 1 = 3.

Edited by Technico Support

17 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I have no idea why but we're still hate watching Empire but we will be until the final episode this season.  Last night I said "holy fuck when does this season end???"  Turns out it's ending early because they didn't finish shooting the last two episodes before coronavirus-related shutdown.  So the final episode is going to be whatever the third to last episode was, frankensteined with the precious little they shot for the penultimate episode, and whatever else they can fit together.  A fitting end to a promising show that just went so far off the rails.  Every character is unlikable and nonsensical, and was absolutely flanderized over the course of later seasons.  What a shitshow.  I'm glad Terrence Howard is retiring to pursue his true calling of creating his own branch of quantum mathematics where 1 x 1 = 3.

Completely agree that everyone is unlikable.  Wife and I haven't watched the show for awhile.  Flipped by a week or two ago and caught a scene where Taraji Henson's character was arguing with her sisters in a car.  Seems she was mad on them because they were the ones that originally called the police and got her sent to prison for 17 years (they were trying to get Lucious arrested, not her).  Normally, I'd feel a little bad for Cookie in this situation, but her ability to play the babyface was kinda negated by the fact that the sisters only told her this info because they were mad that Cookie shot and killed one of the sisters' boyfriend 20 years ago and didn't bother to fess up.

We kept on channel surfing.

Supernatural will effectively get a 16th season.  This was supposed to be the show's final season, but only 13 of 22 episodes have aired.  5 episodes have been shot, but post-production work wasn't completed before the show was shut down.  Apparently, the cast and crew will return at some point to shoot the remaining episodes and end the show properly (well, they're about ten years too late to do that, but whatever).

https://www.cbr.com/supernatural-is-getting-a-second-final-season/

I've been watching a shit ton of BUZZR since I was ordered to shelter in place.

So many fond memories of growing up in the 80's, watching Classic Concentration on the local NBC affiliate in the morning, and then re-runs of Joker's Wild, Card Sharks, Super Password, Press Your Luck, etc. on USA Network, and then the ABC affiliate showed the Shadow Stevens revival of Hollywood Squares and Scrabble in the 4PM block.

It's kind of hypocritical of me.  I have nothing but contempt for modern reality shows like Survivor, The Bachelor, American Idol, etc.  I just roll my eyes when they have the contestants on American Idol give those "testimonials" where they talk about how much it's their dream to win Idol, or when they act all excited when a has-been music star shows up to coach them.

There's just something about those classic game shows that don't seem as "forced" as modern reality programs, or even the modern revivals of game shows.

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Twin Peaks: The Return marathon on Showtime today/tonight. I've never seen it so I just tuned in to episode six at random. Miguel Ferrer!

I need to know if you stayed until Part 8.

source.gif

• Like 1

No, I didn't, but I pulled up again to see a metric fuckload of other character actors acting weird while a guy drooled blood in a jail cell among other things I can't remember (and apparently they couldn't either). 

Obviously I need to tackle the original series and film before this

On 4/8/2020 at 9:50 AM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Watched Empire last night for the first time since season one.

So, uh, Andre's alternate personality is a white guy?

He's actually Andre's dead half brother, whose heart was donated to Andre after he killed himself.  Lucious had hooked up with his mom ("White Cindy" the crackhead) in his younger days and that was this big reveal a season or so ago and holy shit there's a lot more to it but I feel like I just lost 5 IQ points just typing that much.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

He's actually Andre's dead half brother, whose heart was donated to Andre after he killed himself.  Lucious had hooked up with his mom ("White Cindy" the crackhead) in his younger days and that was this big reveal a season or so ago and holy shit there's a lot more to it but I feel like I just lost 5 IQ points just typing that much.

I think I lost 12 pts. reading that much.

• Like 2