DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Tonight Stephen Colbert announced that there wouldn't be a crowd for his show or (I think) any New York late night shows starting Monday. 

...I'm not sure if he was joking.

Nope, a lot of the late night and daytime talk shows are going to start taping without an audience.  It’s going to be the new normal for the foreseeable future.

On 3/11/2020 at 10:28 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

I kind of quit sharing these out of negligence, but this one is probably the most interesting in a while if only because the show was so long-running and odd:

I’ve really enjoyed these. The guy does his research with what normally would be a 10 minute video. Just want him to get to my era of watching Nick already. Although I do remember Mr. Wizard, and You Can’t Do That On Television. Those programs were mainstays on the network till the early 90’s, and I believe Mr. Wizard briefly came back to the lineup in the late 90’s.

I'll be honest. Because everyone on the board loved it so much, we started Watchmen. No way we can finish it by Monday or Tuesday but we'll probably get a month worth to watch Westworld in a month or so, so we can finish it then and watch HDM too.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

Watchmen is probably the best thing to watch since it's only one season and they're not doing anything more after it. It's all very self-contained.

After that I'd say His Dark Materials is worth watching. It's great because it's deeply engaging for adults and kids.

17 hours ago, driver said:

Started watching Penny Dreadful(the first three seasons are on Netflix) and I am really enjoying it.

The series has its moments when it works as the horror version of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

You may be happy to learn that Showtime recently announced that there will be a continuation series entitled Penny Dreadful:  City of Angels set to debut in August.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, driver said:

I've seen that trailer and that's pretty much what made me curious about catching the first few seasons.

The first few seasons are very different in tone.  Like I mentioned before, Penny Dreadful started off as almost the horror version of LXG, but this spin-off features original characters and a new story.

It is also an obvious thumbing of the nose at current US immigration policy towards our Hispanic and Latin brethren.

Edited by J.T.

While Avenue 5 is a pretty good show I am not sure if a show about people getting stuck in a (relatively) tight space for the foreseeable future is what I need right now to relax and forget the rest of the world. I am almost glad that yesterday's show was the season finale.

Edited by Robert s

6 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

New season of Fargo still had two episodes left to film. Won't be premiering in April. 

Eh, if coronavirus expands the way it looks like it probably will, I can see networks saying F*** it and just releasing whatever original content they have.  Seems unlikely shows are going to be able to resume production and finish the last episodes of their seasons.

Also, wasn't there talk that the writers union was probably going to strike in May?

The Expanse is my cursed show.  I love it, but it's taken me a month to get through Season 1, because every time I manage to sit down to start an episode, SOMETHING takes me away from it.  So at this rate, I should get through the show by the time Season 5 drops.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

The Expanse is my cursed show.  I love it, but it's taken me a month to get through Season 1, because every time I manage to sit down to start an episode, SOMETHING takes me away from it.  So at this rate, I should get through the show by the time Season 5 drops.

You can do it! We believe in you! Plus, what better time than now?

I thought we had an Adult Swim thread around here somewhere, but damned if I can find it.

In any case, they've announced that every episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force is now available for free on the Adult Swim app and their website.

• Thanks 2

I've got a lot of free time from work so I decided to dive into the Shudder account my sister shares with me and finally am watching the last season of Channel Zero. I can't remember if I saw many people talking about the series on here but I really dug the first three seasons quite a bit. Hoping this last one compares reasonably well. I'm bummed that there seems to be no movement on further seasons of the show though. 

• Like 1

JT and I have both raved about Channel Zero in the horror thread over the years. I just watched The Dream Door at the beginning of the year when I got Shudder and absolutely loved it. I’m still hoping that Shudder will produce some new seasons eventually. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, (BP) said:

JT and I have both raved about Channel Zero in the horror thread over the years. I just watched The Dream Door at the beginning of the year when I got Shudder and absolutely loved it. I’m still hoping that Shudder will produce some new seasons eventually. 

I think that Butcher's Block was arguably the strongest season, but I really enjoyed The Dream Door.  Dream Door's story kinda hits home now because the couple in Dream Door suffered from relationship issues similar to the one that caused me to break things off with my long term ex-girlfriend. 

The showrunner's  combined ability to wrap cosmic level horror around a very local setting and personal relationships (most of them dysfunctional) is what make the plots stand out so much.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Gonzo said:

I thought we had an Adult Swim thread around here somewhere, but damned if I can find it.

In any case, they've announced that every episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force is now available for free on the Adult Swim app and their website.

tenor.gif

Sealab 2021 and Harvey Birdman are also on Hulu.

Edited by JonnyLaw
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 12:11 AM, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I've got a lot of free time from work so I decided to dive into the Shudder account my sister shares with me and finally am watching the last season of Channel Zero. I can't remember if I saw many people talking about the series on here but I really dug the first three seasons quite a bit. Hoping this last one compares reasonably well. I'm bummed that there seems to be no movement on further seasons of the show though. 

I've seen Channel Zero on various lists of canceled shows, so I assume it's done for.