DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Damn, now THAT is a question. It's been forever since I saw the Jess Franco one with Christopher Lee and I don't think I ever saw the entirety of the Frank Langella one. The internet tells me that the Louis Jourdan BBC one from '77 is the closest along with Bram Stoker's Dracula. 

As luck would have it, the '77 version is on Youtube w/Spanish subtitles.

• Like 1

I might have to check that out. Reports are it is pretty dry (and if you are drier than Hammer or even the Langella one that at least has the awesome undead Mina scene then damn) but it might be worth it. If you get to it first let me know.

EDIT: BTW, I finally read the full novel a couple years back and it totally stands the test of time. There is so much Victorian repression in that thing it's practically panting for a good whipping. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

Im watching one of the Roddy McDowell Fantasy Island episodes and what a great rest of the cast, including Arte Johnson, Adam West, Ross Martin and Richard Sanders. 

I also watched the pilot, which has an interesting take on the classic “worlds most dangerous game” plot. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The Crown will end after Season 5 (Season 4 is currently in production)

Imelda Staunton will play Queen Elizabeth II in that final season

(as someone who has not seen a single episode of The Crown) How do you end such a series? In principle you would expect such a series end with the death of the portrayed character, though, obviously, Elizabeth II is alive and kicking. Sure, she might be dead by the time season 5 is done (though considering that her mother passed the 100 year mark and the queen herself looks to be in good shape, I would not bet on that), but even then it would be way too recent that it should be done. Where else could they stop? Lady Diana's death and that fallout of that? That was already done in The Queen (and rather well, I might add). Maybe the death of her mother and sister in 2002 would be another option (though I neither know how close the relation between them in real life was, nor how it is portrayed in the series, i.e. if it would be fitting end).

Edited by Robert s

It appears that Season 4 will focus on Margaret Thatcher and Princess Diana and that Season 5 will be "taking ‘The Crown’ into the 21st Century"

So I guess (like you having never watched the show) Season 4 will end with Diana's death then Season 5. since the show was always about going all the way to the "present" - somehow getting all the way to the Brexit vote.

It's good that they're wrapping it up in five instead of the originally-planned six seasons. They're already struggling to find decent material for some characters. I'm half-expecting there'll be a low point in early season five where Phillip responds to 9/11 by expressing his desire to personally travel to Afghanistan and take down Osama. 

What are the chances they trot out Michael Sheen to do Tony Blair again? Surely there's enough cosmetics and de-aging to make it plausible. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

On 1/29/2020 at 9:09 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Damn, now THAT is a question. It's been forever since I saw the Jess Franco one with Christopher Lee and I don't think I ever saw the entirety of the Frank Langella one. The internet tells me that the Louis Jourdan BBC one from '77 is the closest along with Bram Stoker's Dracula. 

I'm presently reading the original Stoker novel, and then I plan on watching both the '77 and the Coppola version to see for myself.

• Like 2

I was indifferent about Altered Carbon. For the first few episodes it felt like a short lived episodic FOX sci-fi program(Wow, our heroes are kidnapped, and forced to fight in an illegal gladiatori fighting ring). But then the second half felt like a FOX sci-fi program in its 4th season, and they had no idea they were coming back. So they wrapped up all the characters stories, and left it in a way that they could change the format if they get picked up for season 5. I actually wished we got more of the former since I liked Almost Human, and that’s the show that Altered Carbon reminded me the most. Hopefully this season they go in with more of a clearer vision than the first season. I also hope they do a better job at making it look less obvious that they are reusing the same sets over, and over again. Like that cyberpunk city set was really cool the first few times I saw it, but was less so seeing it again for the fifteenth time. 

On 2/3/2020 at 7:21 PM, Curt McGirt said:

The Simpsons episode with Mr. Sparkle is on right now and the Japanese commercial is actually subtitled in English Japanese if you turn the subs on. So, next time you want to yell along at the screen in Japanese, give it a try. Join me or die, can you do any less? 

Awesome-ah power...

A sumo power....

He blows his power over them and they become sumos.  

HOLY SHIT.  Holy did I not get this until now!  

• Like 3

Showtime has officially picked up First Ladies which will start Viola Davis as Michelle Obama (at least for Season 1)

Really the only other thing that is known - besides being set in the White House - is that Season 1 will focus on Eleanor Roosevelt, Betty Ford and Michelle Obama.

22 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Showtime has officially cancelled Ray Donovan so the upcoming 7th season will be its last

Makes sense. This series has been spinning its wheels for probably 3 seasons or so now. It's not necessarily bad or anything and it has been remarkably consistent with how OK to good it has been, but it's time for it to go.

1 hour ago, turk128 said:

Just binged The Expanse S4, maybe my favorite season.

Still buzzing for more so will start digging into Lost in Space S2, hopefully it's at least as decent as S1.

Yeah.  Finishing up S4 Expanse just makes me jones more for S2 of Altered Carbon.

• Like 2

I've been binging on Gordon Ramsay shows on YouTube and I'm watching 24 Hours to Hell and Back and there's crossover between that and Hell's Kitchen, we have his sous chef James helping and a cameo from previous contestant Clemenza. Just found it interesting. It's a big budget version of Restaurant Impossible.