DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The first episode of Avenue 5 was fun. I’ll keep up with it. I mostly got excited for the Peter Scolari sighting. 

I started watching NOS4A2 on Shudder. I had no idea AMC made a show out of the Joe Hill book and I assumed it came and went quietly, but it’s actually coming back for a second season this year. I’m not sure what’s going on yet, and I’ve never read Hill, but it reminds me of his old man’s stories (in a good way.) 

I'm really late to the party, but Sharp Objects is a fucking fantastic miniseries. I had to wait 2 weeks to watch the last two episodes, but man did I not see that ending coming. I had the Lady in the White Dress spoiled for me when I was searching for news about a possible season two, but I'm glad I didn't have the ending and the mid-credits scene spoiled.

Amy Adams is a phenomenal actress and how she didn't win anything for this miniseries is way beyond my understanding.

Just wow

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Epix's modern day re-imagining of War of the Worlds starring Gabriel Byrne and Elizabeth McGovern

Starts Feb 16

Ugh.  Why are the retellings of WotW always set in the "present day?"

You know what would be original?  A version of WotW set in the time period from the novel.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bustronaut said:

The BBC did one just a couple months ago!

Did this show up in the Shows From Other Countries recommendation thread and I just missed the post?

Edited by J.T.

On the WotW casting... I saw Elizabeth Mcgovern and thought Elizabeth Montgomery. My thought was "Didn't the star of Bewitched die in the 90s? Did Al Goldstein skewer her in SCREW for nothing?"

James

We watched an episode and a half of Dracula. My wife was pretty disappointed in it after being very excited for it.

His Dark Materials on the other hand was fucking awesome. My wife, daughter, and me all loved it. 

I was very, very confused with how episode 2 started with Van Helsing just chilling with Dracula. 

My wife's main issue with the series and of what we watched was that she thought it would be closer to the book.

HDM felt faithful, but I havent read the books in years. I guess you can quibble about casting, since McAvoy doesnt look like Book Azrael, who I pictured looking like younger Brian Blessed. 

I'm about to start second Book of Dust which apparently stars 

20 year old Lyra

Edited by odessasteps

14 hours ago, driver said:

What has been the truest adaptation?

Damn, now THAT is a question. It's been forever since I saw the Jess Franco one with Christopher Lee and I don't think I ever saw the entirety of the Frank Langella one. The internet tells me that the Louis Jourdan BBC one from '77 is the closest along with Bram Stoker's Dracula. 

• Like 1