DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The official story is that Fincher is doing other things and it wasn’t fair to keep the cast/crew tied down waiting for him, and he could return to it eventually.  The backstage buzz is that Fincher just got tired of the grind of making a TV show, and he’s probably done with it completely.

Edited by EVA

There's no reason Netflix couldn't continue it though, which is the real story. Mindhunter is just another example of Netflix cancelling anything that isn't a select few shows, but they'll continue throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks. There's rumors that the show may have been too expensive, but that's hard to believe. They also had planned on a 5 year run. I think if it had been nominated or even won some awards it would have been saved, but that's just me guessing.

So don't get too attached to basically anything that isn't Stranger Things. Altered Carbon is a perfect example of a series I could see them cancelling. It has a big fan following, but it supposedly doesn't rank very high in viewership, and it's expensive.

Well, I mean...I’m pretty sure Mindhunter only existed at Netflix because Fincher wanted to make it and Netflix wanted to be in business with him.  Without him, and considering that he’s going to stay in business with them anyway, there isn’t much impetus for them to keep it going.  I agree that if it was getting awards clout, it might stay, but it wasn’t, and they never pushed it hard for awards either, so that kinda tells you how they felt about it, too.

Also probably a factor:  apparently Netflix’s algorithms say that going past season 2 of a show does not add any value (i.e. it doesn’t impact subscriptions), which is why almost all of their shows get two seasons but very few go beyond that these days.  Mindhunter would also fall into that category.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

It has a big fan following, but it supposedly doesn't rank very high in viewership

Pretty sure these two things contradict each other. 

On 1/19/2020 at 5:24 PM, Craig H said:

There's no reason Netflix couldn't continue it though, which is the real story. Mindhunter is just another example of Netflix cancelling anything that isn't a select few shows, but they'll continue throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks. There's rumors that the show may have been too expensive, but that's hard to believe. They also had planned on a 5 year run. I think if it had been nominated or even won some awards it would have been saved, but that's just me guessing.

So don't get too attached to basically anything that isn't Stranger Things. Altered Carbon is a perfect example of a series I could see them cancelling. It has a big fan following, but it supposedly doesn't rank very high in viewership, and it's expensive.

Funny you should mention Altered Carbon:

https://www.gamesradar.com/altered-carbon-season-2-release-date-netflix-announcement/

Season 2 drops on the 27th of February, with Anthony Mackie as the new sleeve for Kovacs.  There's only 3 books, so if we get at least 3 seasons I'll be fine.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 2

As usual, if Kim dies, I riot. Aside from Jesse, she's the one person in this entire tv universe that I don't want to die. I hope she just winds up moving to some other part of the country to distance herself from Jimmy's bullshit. 

And we have to get more with Gene, right? I feel like last season was the least amount of times we saw Gene.

• Like 1

Have we ever gotten Gene scenes outside the very first of each season? I don't think so, but I'm not gonna go back and check.

If you're hoping for a substantial increase in Gene content, next season (next year's, not the one starting next month) is probably your best bet. It likely factors heavily into the end of the series. I'd guess they finish the series spending anywhere from half an episode to a whole episode or more in that part of the story. 

You know what, you're right. I swear it felt like we saw Gene more than once per season until season 4, but I guess not. Maybe other seasons had multiple scenes with Gene in the first episode and season 4 just had a couple scenes.

Either way, I'll be bummed when this is over and the Breaking Bad universe wraps up, but at the same time, you shouldn't want too much of a good thing.

Jealous that Sky Atlantic viewers are getting two episodes of The New Pope per week. Trying not to click on any of the important scenes already up on Youtube, but I've definitely already watched the next two opening credits scenes. So good. 

Edit: Lol.

ROME - Weeks after its release on HBO, Paolo Sorrentino’s “The New Pope” series is already sparking blowback for the opening scene, during which a group of young nuns dance provocatively in sexy white nightgowns beneath a giant crucifix in an old monastery in Venice.

Images of the nuns gyrating to flashing strobe lights and club music beneath the fluorescent crucifix have gone viral, but they hit a sour note with Patriarch Francesco Moraglia of Venice.

In a Jan. 13 statement issued by Father Gianmatteo Caputo, who is in charge of cultural heritage for the Venice patriarchate, the priest called the scene “offensive” and “lacking a narrative context that justifies the reason and the content.”

I've got some bad news: You're getting a new gyrating nuns sequence every week! 

I love the idea of accusing an opening title sequence of "lacking a narrative context." Just tasty nonsense. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

15 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Have we ever gotten Gene scenes outside the very first of each season? I don't think so, but I'm not gonna go back and check.

If you're hoping for a substantial increase in Gene content, next season (next year's, not the one starting next month) is probably your best bet. It likely factors heavily into the end of the series. I'd guess they finish the series spending anywhere from half an episode to a whole episode or more in that part of the story. 

I think we usually got a scene of him at the beginning and end of a season? Might be misremembering as I only watch them when they're released.

I hope this season finishes the turn into Saul and then the final season follows him as Gene in the aftermath of Breaking Bad, the tiny flashforwards aren't enough or me.

For me it was that good. This was the first season in a few years that really caught my attention. Then again I burned through it in three days, so that could have something to do with it as well. YMMV.

Every season of Ray Donovan feels the same for me where Mickey always lives, everything is utterly depressing, Ray will never be happy, his kids will always be fucked up or flat out written out of the show like his son, etc. The stuff that happened at the end of the finale felt like their way of writing out a character that I don't think anyone liked.

Next season needs to be the absolute final season and Mickey needs to fucking die already. He should have been killed in the last 3 or 4 seasons now, but they continue sticking with him.

I was happy to see Alan Alda back because I LOVE Alan Alda. For his entire career he's had the epitome of the grandpa voice that's really soothing and hooks me in to listening to every word he says. He also sounds like a couple of my uncles, which is kinda neat. I hope they use him more next season if Alan Alda feels like he's able to do it, but Parkinson's is a bitch as I've learned from everything my mom has gone through. 

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Every season of Ray Donovan feels the same for me where Mickey always lives, everything is utterly depressing, Ray will never be happy, his kids will always be fucked up or flat out written out of the show like his son, etc. The stuff that happened at the end of the finale felt like their way of writing out a character that I don't think anyone liked.

Next season needs to be the absolute final season and Mickey needs to fucking die already. He should have been killed in the last 3 or 4 seasons now, but they continue sticking with him.

I was happy to see Alan Alda back because I LOVE Alan Alda. For his entire career he's had the epitome of the grandpa voice that's really soothing and hooks me in to listening to every word he says. He also sounds like a couple of my uncles, which is kinda neat. I hope they use him more next season if Alan Alda feels like he's able to do it, but Parkinson's is a bitch as I've learned from everything my mom has gone through. 

Smitty? If so then yes, his demise is not big shakes and Mickey leaving him laying in the street bleeding out just reinforces how much of scumbag Mickey really is. When Mickey finally does go, it won't be for some past transgression, it will just be some random occurrence ala Omar.

Yes was happy to see Alda as well. If there were ever a person born to play a psychiatrist it would be either him or Judd Hirsch.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, driver said:

Reveal hidden contents

Smitty? If so then yes, his demise is not big shakes and Mickey leaving him laying in the street bleeding out just reinforces how much of scumbag Mickey really is. When Mickey finally does go, it won't be for some past transgression, it will just be some random occurrence ala Omar.

Yes was happy to see Alda as well. If there were ever a person born to play a psychiatrist it would be either him or Judd Hirsch.

Have you listened to Alda's podcast?