DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You'd think a King of Comedy could sit on his residuals or whatever he's saved and not have to tour right now.

Counterpoint: https://talentrecap.com/gabrielle-union-says-black-entertainers-are-struggling-to-pay-bills-amid-covid-19-crisis/

I think a lot of people misjudge how rich some people are. If you make, say, $400,000 a year, sure, you're doing a hell of a lot better than me. But if you have large mortgage, property tax, car and insurance payments, you probably don't have "no problem if I'm not paid in 4 months" money.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think a lot of people misjudge how rich some people are. If you make, say, $400,000 a year, sure, you're doing a hell of a lot better than me. But if you have large mortgage, property tax, car and insurance payments, you probably don't have "no problem if I'm not paid your 4 months" money.

Plus income tax and state tax depending on where you live. 

Yeah, wasn't thinking about kids, mortgages (potentially multiple), taxes, lawyers and assistants fees, possibly paying the rent for other family because you tend to have the money, etc... let's just call the whole thing off.

Honestly in this country unless you are a millionaire or have a foolproof source of income you are probably squeezed right now.

Edited by Curt McGirt

I know I'm late to the boat, but I am finally watching The Twilight Zone. The Comedian is a great episode.

Watched the first episode of Perry Mason. I didn't know I needed to see him as a hard boiled gumshoe during The Depression. Still not sure if I do, but I'll give it a few more episodes.

• Like 1

To follow up with DL Hughley, he was on The Daily Show tonight and he did that show for charity. He thought he might've had COVID in January but kept trucking and says he had no classic symptoms before the show and his collapse. He passed out again last night and is on his way to the hospital. Despite that he's in good humor and has a new book coming out.

Unsolved Mysteries (the reboot)

The first 6 episodes

“Mystery on the Rooftop” – Directed by Marcus A. Clarke, “The body of newlywed Rey Rivera was found in an abandoned conference room at Baltimore’s historic Belvedere Hotel in May 2006, eight days after he mysteriously disappeared. While the Baltimore Police maintained that the 32-year-old committed suicide by jumping from the hotel’s roof, the medical examiner declared Rey’s death “unexplained.” Many, including his devastated wife, Allison, suspect foul play.”

“13 Minutes” – Directed by Jimmy Goldblum, “Patrice Endres, 38, mysteriously vanished from her Cumming, Georgia, hair salon in broad daylight, during a 13-minute timeframe, leaving behind her teenage son, Pistol. Patrice’s disappearance intensified the existing tensions between Pistol and his stepfather as they dealt with the loss and searched for answers.”

“House of Terror” –  Directed by Clay Jeter, “In April 2011, French police discovered the wife and four children of Count Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès buried under the back porch of their home in Nantes. Xavier, the family patriarch, was not among the dead and nowhere to be found. Investigators gradually pieced together clues and a timeline that pointed to Xavier as a devious, pre-meditate killer. For instance, they now know that shortly before the crimes occurred, Xavier inherited a gun that was the same model as the murder weapon.”

“No Ride Home” – Directed by Marcus A. Clarke, “Alonzo Brooks, 23, never returned home from a party he attended with friends in the predominantly white town of La Cygne, Kansas. A month later, a search party led by his family locates Alonzo’s body — in an area that law enforcement had already canvassed multiple times.”

“Berkshire’s UFO” –  Directed by Marcus A. Clarke, “On September 1, 1969, many residents in Berkshire County, Massachusetts were traumatized by a sighting of a UFO. Eyewitnesses — many just children at the time — have spent their lives trying to convince the world that what they saw was real.”

“Missing Witness” –  Directed by Clay Jeter, “At age 17, a guilt-ridden Lena Chapin confessed to helping her mother dispose of her murdered stepfather’s body four years prior. In 2012, Lena was issued a subpoena to testify against her mother in court, but the authorities were never able to deliver the summons — because Lena had disappeared, leaving behind a young son.”

I’ve been watching a ton of Unsolved Mysteries on Pluto TV, so I’m hyped. I get that Stack is irreplaceable, but I don’t know if it’s going to feel like UM without a narrator and with a different format. 

In the vein of solved mysteries, I'm watching I'll Be Gone in the Dark and it's everything I wanted it to be: i.e., getting into Michelle McNamara's headspace as she worked on stuff. Guess I know what I'm doing Sunday nights for a while. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

So, I just recently finished my first full watchthrough of Game of Thrones. Some of y'all who were on top of it as it was happening might know the answer to this; 

Was there originally supposed to be more to the "High Septon Trial" in the season six finale? It just felt very rushed. Like, they're all in the Sept, they're blown up, Tommen takes a long walk off of a short windowsill, and then they move on. I'd be interested to know if there were any interviews about that after the fact...

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Casey said:

Adam Savage is accused by his sister of repeated sexual assault when they were children.

For what its worth, he and their mother vehemently deny this with both stating the sister "suffers from severe mental health challenges"

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/adam-savage-mythbusters-sexual-assault-sister-allegations-1234694909/

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, EVA said:

My dude casually throwing down massive GOT spoilers outside of the GOT thread.

Oh Damn! I am so, so sorry if I got anyone. That never once occurred to me. A sincere and heartfelt apology to anyone who might've been spoiled. Seriously.

• Like 1