DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

How long has The Blacklist been on Fridays and still hasn't died?

The last two seasons have been on Fridays

I think it is the highest rated Friday show (or at least it is right behind whatever CBS is showing) and at least still finishes in the Top 100 every year

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

How long has The Blacklist been on Fridays and still hasn't died?

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The last two seasons have been on Fridays

I think it is the highest rated Friday show (or at least it is right behind whatever CBS is showing) and at least still finishes in the Top 100 every year

I enjoy the show but am annoyed its still going on. I was really hoping it would be canceled already. I haven't even finished the second half of the last season yet.

8 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I enjoy the show but am annoyed its still going on. I was really hoping it would be canceled already.

I kinda feel the same way.  I still generally enjoy the show, but there doesn't feel like much the show can top itself.  It really feels like any direction they go is just telling a story for the sake of telling a story, not because it's a natural or interesting way for the series to progress.  At the same time, no matte what swerve they go with or cliffhanger they drop, I end up feeling burnt out, not excited to see what comes next.  How many variations of "Liz finds some reason to distrust Red" or "an old enemy of Red's returns to target Red" can to you do?

The show burned through heel turns, cliffhangers, and plot twists at an alarming rate during the first couple years.  It really wan't built for a long run.

Edited by Doc Townsend
typo
  • Like 2

They should have renamed The Blacklist into The James Spader Show long time ago, as he is the main (only?) reason for watching that show. That title would be much more politically correct too. ? (there have been recent debates in software development etc. circles about getting rid of terms like "blacklisting" and "master-slave")

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

I actually like the other characters involved but yeah Spader is the one you actually watch the show for.

Yeah, more Spader on my tv is never a bad thing.

I think Megan Boone holds her end up rather well.  Not a great actress, but she's adequate and does well enough playing off Spader.  She had a lot of chemistry with Ryan Eggold.  I think the show lost a fair bit when they wrote him out, but, by then, what else was there to do with his character?.  His character started out as a spy assigned to monitor Liz.  They blew that storyline fairly qiickly.  Then he was kind of a tweener.  Liz kidnapped and tortured him at one point.  He see,ed to be gaslighting  Red at one point.  He fell in love with Liz and they became a couple.  Then he "died" so the character could be moved to a spinoff.  Then his character came back from the dead, but died again when NBC picked up St. Amsterdam. etc.  

Blacklist should have had 8-10 years of plot and they were out of ideas by the end of season 4.

Rest of Blacklist supporting cast hasn't made much of an impression on me except for Susan Blommaert, who played Mr. Kaplan,  Red's personal cleaner.  I think they could have ended the show after she turned on him.  That was the last time the show really excited me.  Well-written storyline and Spader really conveyed how much Red hated dealing with her the way he did.

• Like 1

ABC's Fall Schedule

MONDAY

8 p.m. Dancing With the Stars

10 p.m. The Good Doctor

TUESDAY

8 p.m. The Bachelorette

10:00 p.m. Big Sky (NEW SERIES)

WEDNESDAY

8 p.m. The Goldbergs

8:30 p.m. American Housewife

9 p.m. The Conners (NEW DATE/TIME)

9:30 p.m. Call Your Mother (NEW SERIES)

10:00 p.m. Stumptown

THURSDAY

8 p.m. Station 19

9 p.m. Grey’s Anatomy

10 p.m. A Million Little Things

FRIDAY

8 p.m. Shark Tank

9 p.m. 20/20 (TWO HOURS)

SATURDAY

8 p.m. Saturday Night Football

SUNDAY

7 p.m. America’s Funniest Home Videos

8 p.m. Supermarket Sweep (NEW SERIES)

9 p.m. Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? (NEW DATE/TIME)

10 p.m. The Rookie

Supermarket Sweep is being hosted by Leslie Jones

Call Your Mother is "a sitcom about an empty nester mom played by Kyra Sedgwick."

Big Sky is a David E. Kelley show

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am a little curious what is going on with the Voice because when it ended last month (with the awkward performances from home) - they hadn't been able to start taping the next season (and that is usually like 3 to 4 months in advance).

In fact they only just announced like a day or two ago that Gwen Stefani was back (replacing Nick Jonas)

So either its gonna be auditions from home (which I can't even begin to imagine how they would do it) or auditions without an audience (awkward and soulless)

Or I guess the third option of PACK EVERYONE IN! THE SUN KILLS ALL! IGNORE THAT CALIFORNIA IS A SHITSHOW RIGHT NOW!

I thought the at home portion of The Voice last season was the best the show had been in years.

I mean ... you can't tell who can actually sing or anything, but from a pure entertainment standpoint it was really good. 

The performances were fine (there weren’t a lot of people on the live shows left that we liked)

But the banter was cringe worthy and of course they ran into their biggest technical challenges during the Finals

Every performance looked like they put a cheesy 80's music video filter on it and called it a day and I loved every bit of it.

it was pretty obvious the week the dude who won sang with all of his 20 kids surrounding him all lovingly watching him that there was no way he was losing in that format. 

Edited by CSC

This is from EW so I am assuming it is pretty close to accurate.

Everything that was canceled

ABC

• Canceled Shows:
  • The Baker and the Beauty
  • Bless This Mess
  • Emergence
  • Fresh Off the Boat (planned final season)
  • How to Get Away With Murder (planned final season)
  • Kids Say the Darndest Things
  • Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (planned final season)
  • Modern Family (planned final season)
  • Reef Break
  • Schooled
  • Single Parents

CBS

• Broke
  • Carol's Second Act
  • Criminal Minds (planned final season)
  • God Friended Me
  • Hawaii Five-0 (planned final season)
  • Madam Secretary (planned final season)
  • Man With a Plan
  • Tommy

FOX

• Almost Family
  • BH90210
  • Deputy
  • Empire (planned final season)
  • Flirty Dancing
  • Outmatched

NBC

• Blindspot (planned final season)
  • Bluff City Law
  • The Good Place (planned final season)
  • The InBetween
  • Indebted
  • Lincoln Rhyme: Hunt for the Bone Collector
  • Perfect Harmony
  • Sunnyside
  • Will & Grace (planned final season ... again!)

5 hours ago, bazzil said:

i had no idea they made a Bone Collector show. Anyone here watch it? Did it have a proper ending or was it left on a cliffhanger?

I watched it. Thought it was decent enough. It had a proper ending to the Bone Collector story though it start up a new mystery at the very end.

50 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Ugh... I guess I'll be the one to mention it. This showed up in the crawl on the noon news so I looked it up. 

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/6/17/21294893/danny-masterson-rape-charges-that-70s-show-ranch-actor

Saw something about that yesterday. its a shame, but I recall talk of it a few years back. Kind of surprised it took this long to charge him.

21 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

Yeah, more Spader on my tv is never a bad thing.

I think Megan Boone holds her end up rather well.  Not a great actress, but she's adequate and does well enough playing off Spader.  She had a lot of chemistry with Ryan Eggold.  I think the show lost a fair bit when they wrote him out, but, by then, what else was there to do with his character?.  His character started out as a spy assigned to monitor Liz.  They blew that storyline fairly qiickly.  Then he was kind of a tweener.  Liz kidnapped and tortured him at one point.  He see,ed to be gaslighting  Red at one point.  He fell in love with Liz and they became a couple.  Then he "died" so the character could be moved to a spinoff.  Then his character came back from the dead, but died again when NBC picked up St. Amsterdam. etc.  

Blacklist should have had 8-10 years of plot and they were out of ideas by the end of season 4.

Rest of Blacklist supporting cast hasn't made much of an impression on me except for Susan Blommaert, who played Mr. Kaplan,  Red's personal cleaner.  I think they could have ended the show after she turned on him.  That was the last time the show really excited me.  Well-written storyline and Spader really conveyed how much Red hated dealing with her the way he did.

The best characters are those, who Red plays of more real, straight, than the playful stuff he does with all the FBI people. So I also like Dembe who has somewhat turned into Red's voice-of-reason. The other characters really require a huge suspend-of-disbelief to take them seriously. I mean how often did they learn the lesson that the means of using (get used by) Red's informations don't justify the ends, how often have you heard Director Cooper go on about how Red has finally crossed the line etc. Acting wise, I suppose they do an adequate job.

41 minutes ago, Robert s said:

I mean how often did they learn the lesson that the means of using (get used by) Red's informations don't justify the ends, how often have you heard Director Cooper go on about how Red has finally crossed the line etc. 

The idea that Red would try to manipulate the task force is logical and fairly smart.

The idea that the government lets Red manipulate their agency over and over on an almost weekly basis is not.  I mean, yeah, it's blown up in their faces a bunch of times, in various ways, to the point where the task force just automatically assumes Red has an angle, tries to figure it out, then just shrugs and lets things play out as they will.

I think the idea reached it's breaking point a few seasons ago when the task force spent a whole season helping Red rebuild his criminal empire and get his money back.

On a show full of suspension of disbelief, the task force may be the unrealistic element to the show.  Especially when it's obvious Liz spends much of her time using the task force for her own agenda or going native and throwing in with Red.

Sorry to see Perfect Harmony get cancelled as I tend to watch anything with Bradley Whitford. Maybe he can whisper in Sorkin's ear to get something (anything, not just WW) going

James

On 6/18/2020 at 1:33 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Ugh... I guess I'll be the one to mention it. This showed up in the crawl on the noon news so I looked it up. 

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/6/17/21294893/danny-masterson-rape-charges-that-70s-show-ranch-actor

Fuck him. He allegedly raped Christina Carnell (married to Cedric Bixler-Zavala - from At the Drive-In/The Mars Volta) multiple times and has had members of the Church poison Cedric's dogs and killed a few of them in retaliation for speaking out.