DVDVR Message Board

2020 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 3/7/2020 at 8:08 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

@Execproducer Could you also help me finding a Kung-Fu flick too? The only things I remember about it were that the bad guy had long white hair, and matching colored beard. He used a deadly technique that required him to do a bunch complicated sequences that end with him stabbing his fingers(and I believe his victims fingers as well) into their chests. 

You would think that sounds like one of the eight billion Pei Mai movies out there, but I think you may be talking about Lo Ping's Devil Strike technique from The Incredible Kung Fu Commandos / Incredible Kung Fu Mission..  

Lo first appears around the 1:42 mark of the video and uses his special technique around 2:05.

There are just as many Kung Fu movies where the antagonist is an evil albono eunach as there are movies about Pei Mai himself.  Arguably, the vilification of Pei Mai / White Eyebrows is the reason for the evil albino stereotype.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup, that’s it @J.T.. They randomly played that once on my local UPN station, and I haven’t seen it since till today. It wasn’t exactly how I remembered it, but the villains signature move has always been stuck in my mind due to how baffling it is.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Yup, that’s it @J.T.. They randomly played that once on my local UPN station, and I haven’t seen it since till today.

I knew that either Exec, Curt, or I would be able to identify it.  We've watched a shitload of kung fu movies.

Incredible Kung Fu Mission is probably my favorite Not Shaw Brothers martial arts joint.  It was my pick for last year's Wong Fei-Hung Invitational Kung Fu Movie review thread.

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It wasn’t exactly how I remembered it, but the villains signature move has always been stuck in my mind due to how baffling it is.

Bear in mind that Lo is using the technique to subdue the guy in the opening scene. 

Later on in the movie (around the one hour & seventeen minute mark), he starts using the Devil Strike as a killing blow.  There is one part during the final fight where you can see Lo use the technique to counter Shorty's lunge and then Lo drives his fingers into poor Shorty's chest.

The actor playing Shorty then sells the strike with one of the most horrifying facial expressions ever.   To this day, it freaks me out a little as I can almost imagine how painful that would be.  Dude looks like he is in total agony.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Movie has a bit of a Dirty Dozen vibe to it as well, but I didn’t bring it up because I thought that was my memory playing tricks with me.

No.  As far as martial arts movies go, Incredible Kung Fu Mission is definitely one of those "What The Fuck Was That One Movie?" with a lot of people especially since it isn't a Shaw Brothers production, so you don't see it in heavy rotation as much as you would something like Five Deadly Venoms or Executioners From Shaolin.

I don't think that even El Rey has the entire SB catalogue licensed.  I've never seen them show Avenging Warriors Of Shaolin and I think I've only seen them show Bloody Parrot and Secret Service of the Imperial Court only once per film.

Incredible Kung Fu Mission and Last Hurrah For Chivalry seem to be the two Wu Shu movies where people are like, "Did I Imagine Watching This On Television?"

On the Japanese side of the house, it's usually Shogun's Ninja with Sonny Chiba that makes people think they hallucinated watching the movie late one Friday night.

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

. It wasn’t exactly how I remembered it, but the villains signature move has always been stuck in my mind due to how baffling it is.

I think the reason I enjoy Kung Fu Mission so much is the logic running underneath the fight choreography.  Usually in something like Iron Legend, Mystery of Chess Boxing, or Shaolin Invincible Sticks, the villain has some forbidden technique that is nigh unbeatable until the hero goes away to learn the secret form that will neutralize the bad guy's dim mak.  

Once the hero learns the anti-technique, the villain cannot match him.

In this movie, you see the good guys adapt to Lo's secret technique DURING THE FIGHT (not before one or two guys die, though), and then Lo is forced to adjust his style when he notices that the good guys have figured out how to counter his deathblow.  It's not something you see in a typical film of the genre. 

The hero in the movie Kung Fu Genius also learns the counter to the bad guy's secret strike during their final battle.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Saw The Way Back, starring Ben Affleck yesterday.  Not exactly a groundbreaking movie or one with an unusual premise (dude seeks redemption from personal issues via coaching) but it's well done*.  Affleck is terrific here.  He's 100% believable and it feels realistic.  His character is sympathetic and flawed and not a bad dude.  Anyway, I was entertained for 2 hours and it was worth my time.  Not sure I'd recommend spending $11 to see it but it was good.  Also, can't remember ever seeing her before but definitely now a fan of Janina Gavankar ?

* - there are a couple of things that strain believability to assist in moving the movie along.  Mainly that Coach Affleck suddenly has an awful lot of time during the day despite working a job involves long hours of labor during the day.

53 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

This is pretty wild. Glenn Plummer, Sean Penn, and even Robert Duvall did NOT have a good relationship on the set of Colors. Go watch that restaurant fight after this and know why it was so realistic. 

At your urging, I watched that scene and it didn't really stand out as anything unusual to me.  But.......holy cow, the dated soundtrack!

Watched it again and Glenn's recollection doesn't match what's in the movie.  He pulls off Penn's glasses before throwing a punch and Penn clearly moves his head in the right direction for the punch.  And the "knee to the groin" is actually the stomach.  But, hey, makes for a good story!

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

Yeah, Herbie Hancock did the soundtrack. I have the other soundtrack which is the Ice-T track and a bunch of other rap tunes on vinyl, actually. 

Even if he didn't get all the details right the fight is still nuts. I imagine he got pretty well bruised up surfing over that counter with the chickens. 

Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson have announced they both have tested positive for the coronavirus 

They are in Australia as Hanks films the Elvis biopic

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson have announced they both have tested positive for the coronavirus 

They are in Australia as Hanks films the Elvis biopic

Of note, neither Hanks nor Wilson would have been allowed to be tested in the US because they did not meet the CDC criteria...  ?

This weekend at the island of misfit cinemas ...

RIDE LIKE A GIRL

This may be a sign that Paul Hogan film I mentioned earlier today may, in fact, be coming my way. 

THE POSTCARD KILLINGS

"Based on a novel by James Patterson" doesn't mean much, since he's responsible for every third book or so at the Barnes and Noble. "Cush Jumbo" maybe the 2020 acting name of the year. The book this movie's based on is called "The Postcard Killers", making the change in title extremely anal. Also, the Jumbo character was a Scandinavian journalist in the book, but apparently changed to an American journalist based in Sweden for the movie. And now my head hurts.

• Like 2

Anyone actually seen Bloodshot and want to comment?  I assume it's terrible since the studio decided not to pull it and (hopefully) release it when conditions are better.

Edit: I wouldn't have recognized Cush Jumbo in that trailer if I wasn't looking for her.  That hairstyle... is not flattering.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti