DVDVR Message Board

2020 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

59 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

I think its more scheduling. At this time of the year there is no real competition. The kids would have seen Spies in Disguise and Frozen II, and Jumanji if the kids are old enough. If you want to take the kids to a movie, there's no other choice. Wheras in the summer, Sonic would get killed.

Sure scheduling matters, but opening at 70 million, with an A CinemaScore is still pretty impressive. If people wanted to see Detective Pikachu, they would’ve seen Detective Pikachu, and it would’ve opened bigger. I’ve also heard from people that this seems to be a very adult crowd watching this movie, and not children. That makes sense given the way they cast this movie, and advertised it. They were looking for the 18, and over crowd, rather than the under.

Detective Pikachu concept was too small of scope for something that should be more grand for a tent pole project. It also doesn’t help that DP isn’t the product that any of your target audience is aware of.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Sonic also has some initial goodwill built up after doing a complete CGI redo after the first round of trailers.  So that might be something, people deciding to repay someone listening to fans.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Sure scheduling matters, but opening at 70 million, with an A CinemaScore is still pretty impressive. If people wanted to see Detective Pikachu, they would’ve seen Detective Pikachu, and it would’ve opened bigger. I’ve also heard from people that this seems to be a very adult crowd watching this movie, and not children. That makes sense given the way they cast this movie, and advertised it. They were looking for the 18, and over crowd, rather than the under.

According to Box Office Mojo’s weekend report, 70% of the opening weekend audience was under 25.  So this is actually skewing heavily toward younger audiences.

• Like 2

Marriage Story was, well, fairly goofy -- to me anyway. Both of the leads come off as childish and deluded in wanting to have a serious relationship involving a child when they are a pair of 20-something artistes that shouldn't even bother. Both seem unwilling to deal with their problems face to face, instead hiring legal help that is biased and hateful towards each other's side by proxy. When they do finally unload on each other it's almost pathetic because they still love each other yet refuse to accept it. The tone is kind of Woody Allen meets Rob Reiner, and if you have a cynical view you can laugh at a lot in this one. There is a touching moment at the end but aside from that it seems like a lot of smoke and not much fire. 

On 2/14/2020 at 3:15 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I watch everything with subtitles anymore. 

Yes, I am a total weirdo. 

On 2/14/2020 at 4:54 PM, caley said:

I watch probably 80% of my movies, English or otherwise, with subtitles.  I try to avoid comedies with subtitles, because a lot of the times the subtitle will give a punchline away too early. 

But it can be a real eye-opener to watch movies you've seen many times before for the first time with subtitles, misheard lines or background conversations that you thought were inaudible can suddenly completely change scenes.

Between mild OCD (only half serious here), age, and slight earing loss from too much Walkman as kids, my wife and I watch EVERYTHING with closed captioning on.  Except live TV, because half-assed subtitles 40 seconds late makes me want to murder my TV.

• Like 1

I watch most things with subtitles on because it forces me to pay attention more instead of looking at my phone to see whatever work email I got or reading something on the internet while I'm trying to watch a movie. Sometimes I'll turn them off when the subtitles come way before the actual dialogue is spoken because I feel like that winds up being a spoiler. And I never turn them on for standup specials because I don't want any bits ruined. 

• Like 1

Drop a 100 mill on  Pikachu and Super Mario Bros heads, and yall still out here doubting Sonic  the Hedgehog.  Haters. ?

Seriously, Paramount needed a hit and Sonic might bail them out for a bit.   Strange world.  Definitely getting a terrible sequel.

Edited by _MJ_

On 2/16/2020 at 4:36 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Based solely on my nephews, Sonic is apparently really damn popular as a character with teens. I have no idea why

Going back to this, my kids went to see this, and they said a bunch of teenagers had bought out a whole chunk of the theater to see it opening night. My son said they were yelling about how it was the greatest movie EVAR.

My son is really into retro gaming and is a massive Mega Man fan - but no one he knows gives a fuck about the Blue Bomber. We were both surprised that anyone younger than 18 cared about Sonic. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

I just watched Synechdoche, New York for the first time and it has haunted me. Can't stop thinking about it. 

It is a mind screw that will stay with you for sure. I can imagine it would also make me very sad if I watched it now.

I've caught up on some movies recently.   

Knives Out.  This was pretty good,  I thought Daniel Craig was so entertaining and Ana de Armas was adorable in her role. Too much exposition though and the mystery itself wasn't too difficult to figure out where it was going. 

Terminator: Dark Fate.  Not bad all things considering, it was great to see Linda Hamilton back.  I felt 4 was a crowd. If you're going to have Sarah and the young girl she's trying to save then I don't believe we need the woman from the future in the mix.   Action scenes were mostly good but too much CGI.  

Uncut Gems.  What a fucking roller coaster this was. Adam Sandler was fantastic and now I'm thinking he was snubbed a Best Actor nom. It was a tremendous performance out of him, definitely an anxiety inducing film.. it was so damn New York too,  I loved it.   KG was great in this.  Awesome film. I felt it touched wonderful on gambling addiction and just addiction in general and how toxic it is to go through and be around. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, quackhell said:

It is a mind screw that will stay with you for sure. I can imagine it would also make me very sad if I watched it now.

There was a definite pervading atmosphere of melancholy. The death scene with his 'daughter' at her bedside was brutal but the bit that upset me the most was Dianne Wiest's monologue toward the end.

Weird thing is, my theory of the film isn't what anyone else seems to think happened ?‍♂️

• Like 1

Fuck it, Sonic the Hedgehog was fucking awesome. 

i think I wanted to see it more than my kids. Maybe, maybe not. One of them actually dressed up as Sonic for Halloween.

it was great and violent and funny and Jim Carrey and James Marsden were great and not totally upstaged by the blue devil.

And like realistically probably has a huge kill count.

Took my eight-year-old to see Sonic this morning -- the island of misfit theaters shows films as early as 9 a.m. ET here -- she could not get enough of it, and was even talking as we were leaving about how she "hopes there is a sequel."

For the grownup here, it was good popcorn fare. Carrey was great, and Marsden has that "everyman hero" charm that needs to be used more on the big screen.

Spoiler

A little product placement heavy at times though. That film really wants you to check out the specials at Olive Garden.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Watched two big winners tonight.

Dolemite Is My Name: Could stand to be a little more vulgar, but aside from that it was great. DIY motherfuckers! Always. 

The Lighthouse: If you don't accept who you are you ain't ever gonna be happy, and you might just end up doing something stupid...

• Like 1

Not sure where to stick it so it'll go here. Encore is running a free preview on Dish (so heads up there), I looked in their movies and found something called Comedy's Dirtiest Dozen from 1988, featuring 12 different standups. It's got Chris Rock who must've been right out of college, Bill Hicks (!!!), Tim Allen back when he was Hoovering coke, and Jackie Martling. So, just in case you wanted to see some neat old standup or just want to see the god Bill Hicks again there you go.

EDIT: It also starts with Monte Hoffman rapping so YMMV

EDIT II: Starz is also having a free preview and the Lucha Mexico doc is on there, so white comedians making fun of AIDS and the homeless can wait

Edited by Curt McGirt