DVDVR Message Board

2020 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

And now Mean Green Mother is in my head. Thankfully I love that song.

Biolante is one of my favorite kaiju because its origin is so fucking crazy.  A scientist starts off using Godzilla's DNA to create strains of weather resistant crops, but a bomb destroys his lab and kills his daughter.

So what does he do?  He tries to preserve her DNA by splicing it with a rose and with Godzilla's DNA. 

Only Toei would come up with some wacky Lex Luthor shit like that.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Biollante is one of the best villains in Toho's stable for sure.

The moment in Little Shop of Horrors after Audrey II called Audrey and hangs up, when it checks for change in the payphone is one of the greatest movie moments of all-time.

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

bf0567837c742abbcf8e682a422587536097bb79

So well expressed.

I've only ever watched a handful of subtitled movies and only one in the theater - Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which was awesome.  I find when I watch subtitled movies, after about 10 minutes, I don't even realize I'm reading the subtitles anymore.  My brain kinda shifts it so it's like the characters are speaking the words I'm reading and I'm no longer consciously reading.  

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I've only ever watched a handful of subtitled movies and only one in the theater - Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which was awesome.  I find when I watch subtitled movies, after about 10 minutes, I don't even realize I'm reading the subtitles anymore.  My brain kinda shifts it so it's like the characters are speaking the words I'm reading and I'm no longer consciously reading.  

I've never seen a subtitled movie at the cinema. From the foreign language films I have seen, Let the Right One In (2008) was the best of them. One of the best films I've ever seen. 

Edited by The Natural

25 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I'm the same way.  If I'm watching a subtitled movie, I don't notice at all after about 10 minutes, and I've even watched English language movies with subtitles.  With that said, my tolerance for subtitles isn't about the subtitles, it's about how much paying attention I'm planning to do.  I've started watching some of the more well known anime series, and I always watch the dubbed version.  It's because, I watch those while working out, playing a game on my laptop, surfing the internet, or writing something.  I can't read subtitles while doing that, but I can hear.  

• Like 1

Parasite was the first time I had a chance to watch a subtitled movie in a theater since The Passion of the Christ. They simply don't play around here.

But I own a lot of Swedish and Japanese and French and Polish films, and it's very much true you have to actually be ready to commit to putting your phone down, and just sitting down and watching them. Which sometimes I am, and sometimes I'm not.

Yeah,  I've had  people tell me they don't like watching subtitled films because then they have to read it and miss what's going on onscreen and I think that's patently false.  You actually have to focus was MORE onscreen if you can't understand what's being said without reading it.  Otherwise you can pick up your phone, stare off into space, daydream, flip through a book or something while watching an English (or whatever language you understand)  and still keep reasonably up on the action.

My funniest subtitle-watching film in the theater was Bong Joon-ho's 'The Host' which I saw with a crowd of my dad,  me and about 10-15 older Korean women.  The movie started and the subtitles were projected onto the wall beneath the screen, making them almost completely illegible.  It didn't bother the Korean women any, because they could follow just fine, but I had to wander out and find an employee to fix it because I had no idea what anyone was saying. 

That was in the good old days when we actually had a theater that liked to bring in some arthouse, indie and foreign stuff.  It's now a Tim Horton's and we only have a couple megaplexes, though one of them did fairly well in keeping the Oscar-y stuff onscreen this year.  But anything remotely not big-name or Oscar-nominated isn't likely to play here, unless it's in Hindi.

Edited by caley

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I watch everything with subtitles anymore. 

Yes, I am a total weirdo. 

I watch probably 80% of my movies, English or otherwise, with subtitles.  I try to avoid comedies with subtitles, because a lot of the times the subtitle will give a punchline away too early. 

But it can be a real eye-opener to watch movies you've seen many times before for the first time with subtitles, misheard lines or background conversations that you thought were inaudible can suddenly completely change scenes.

• Like 2

No, I get it. They used to be very stagey and projected and enunciated and sounded unnatural, so Marlon Brando decided actors shouldn't do that, they should be naturalistic instead. So he started the trend for talking inaudibly like people do in real life.

Only the thing is, when people talk inaudibly in real life, the person they're talking to says What or I Can't Hear You. Whereas in movies, because the other actor has also read the script, they know exactly what the mumbler said, and therefore just respond as if they had expressed themselves clearly*. Thus making the naturalistic acting un-naturalistic. 

* Except if it's Benicio Del Toro in the Usual Suspects. He gets whatted a few times.

Out of curiosity, do you have that problem mainly only with American films? Because I was thinking "I can't think of any time I've ever really struggled with someone mumbling when it's supposed to be able to he heard, unless they have like a thick British or Australian accent" then I remembered that you, of course, are not American.

(Also, watch more early talkies is good advice in general. So many great movies are just forgotten.)

No, it's British movies and TV as well. It's just me spending too much time playing my music too loud as a youngster. Tom Hardy in Taboo was a bad one.

At our island of misfit theaters, we're not premiering "Downhill." Instead, we're getting a remake of another popular European film. And this one actually looks decent (based on the Belgian film "Hasta La Vista") ...

But we also have the weird and the headscratchers premiering this weekend as well. I previously mentioned "First Lady" a few weeks back -- one of the actors in that film is actually doing a Q&A after a screening this weekend. Then there's these ...

CAMP COLD BROOK -- this was apparently scheduled to be released two years ago, which is pretty much a bad sign.

AFTER MIDNIGHT -- not just any monster movie, folks. A "romantic monster movie," according to the PR sheet I got at work. Filmmakers are doing a Q&A after a screening here this weekend as well.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

I've never seen a subtitled movie at the cinema. From the foreign language films I have seen, Let the Right One In (2008) was the best of them. One of the best films I've ever seen. 

Talking about foreign language films with subtitles and Let the Right One In, I've remembered this:

http://iconsoffright.com/news/2009/03/let_the_wrong_subtitles_in_to.html

When translations go wrong. A must read. 

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, AxB said:

So many actors think that 'being in character' and 'mumbling every line' are the same thing. Hence, subtitties.

I can not recommend highly enough watching MAD MAX: FURY ROAD with subtitles.

First time I did, I realized I’d missed probably 40% of the dialogue.

• Like 1

I pretty much watch everything with subtitles no when available: movies at home, tv shows, video games. 

I'm just glad we have advanced the tech to make them readable, even it with different colors or putting them below the letterbox. 

I suffered through years of prints with white subtitles on a b&w form film that were almost useless. 

• Like 1

Apparently Sonic could potentially out gross Detective Pikachu. Think about that. The movie based on a character, and video game that are past their cultural relevance will surpass the one based on the still relevant Pokemon franchise. Is this buried nostalgia, Jim Carrey, or maybe the ads really worked on movie goers? One things for sure, Game Freak really shouldn’t have pushed for a Detective Pikachu movie before the game was on store shelves. I could understand a TV show because of the high chance of success with that genre for television, but a movie felt like it was pushing it. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I think its more scheduling. At this time of the year there is no real competition. The kids would have seen Spies in Disguise and Frozen II, and Jumanji if the kids are old enough. If you want to take the kids to a movie, there's no other choice. Wheras in the summer, Sonic would get killed.

About a year or so, after answering one of those random Twitter content creating things (Fave five movies of the 90s? Best movie you saw in theaters? Movie you love more than anybody else? etc. etc.*), I had some guy follow me, I checked to see if he was a bot then saw he was a filmmaker who had recently released the movie 'Thunder Road', I kept my eye out for it and it finally turned up on Netflix this past week so I gave it a watch and it's SOOOO good.  It's about a cop who is starting to have his whole world collapse around him and trying to cope with it etc. etc.  The opening 12 minutes is basically one long take of said cop delivering his mother's eulogy and it's so sad, funny, awkward and perfectly acted as anything I've seen.  Apparently, per IMDB he made it himself for something like $200,000 then made all that back and more in France where it became something of a cult hit.  I really loved it.

* (For the record my answers to these hypothetical Twitter questions would be: The Big Lewboski, Heat, Fargo, Hana-bi and The Thin Red Line; The Tree of Life; and, I dunno, Draft Day or Brothers Solomon)

Edited by caley