DVDVR Message Board

2020 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 1/11/2020 at 2:24 PM, elizium said:

Aw c'mon, Denise Richards was in Drop Dead Gorgeous. Sure it was...jesus 20 years ago, but at least proves she's been in one good one.

Also, please never stop letting us know what is playing in your funky ass theatres.

Thank you for the kind words. Living close to a 55+ community feels like a time warp at times -- I just consider the theaters a throwback to, say, a 1970s drive-in where you get your "A" picture along with something "B" or below to start.

The theater being renovated is about 20 years old -- they are going to add some modern-day film-going conveniences -- more legroom, cupholders, etc. The other theaters are 10 and 2 years old, respectively. The latter has a "barn" theme with a long-wide hallway once you leave concessions -- four theaters on each side of the hallway. 

I learned quickly through family that live here that the movies are picked by the people who run the town, and they have a fascination with a few genres and styles. They're big on classic film festivals, free matinees for the grandkids over the summer, etc. They also have a fascination with all things Britain, so we get our fair share of UK films that barely make a blip in England, let alone here. Same thing when it comes to films with a holiday theme or are family friendly. And film studios know that if they want to release a movie "on VOD and with limited release," they can count on these theaters to provide a screen. Same with films that are released "exclusively on Netflix" or a similar streamer -- if the studio wants to write in the books that it got a theater release, they just call us. 

Two more examples from last Christmas, when I visited family and started considering my move down here and reuniting with my daughter ...

AMERICAN RENEGADES

This is a movie that, per Wiki, cost $77 million to make. Its release was then delayed more than two years before Lionsgate opted for the "VOD and limited cinema release" route. Despite the title, JK Simmons may be the only American actor in the movie.

BERNIE THE DOLPHIN

It's Dolphin vs. Kevin Sorbo in the dumbest movie showdown ever. This was apparently followed up on last month with "Bernie the Dolphin 2" which our theaters, alas, never received.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 2:25 AM, Execproducer said:

She was in Wild Things as well, so that's two good ones.

Starship Troopers makes three.

I'm pretty sure she'd like to forget the existence of Tammy & the T-Tex though.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Starship Troopers makes three.

Hey, Tammy & the T-Rex is having a moment right now, finally getting seen the way the director intended.

My 4K copy is supposed to be delivered later this month.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Hey, Tammy & the T-Rex is having a moment right now, finally getting seen the way the director intended.

You mean the DVD director's cut only has the last fifteen minutes of the movie?

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

I think I saw this many a years ago randomly on the tv because I have vague memories of it that resurfaced because of you and everyone else mentioning it in the Horror thread last month. Why did you all do this to me?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

It's still riding the rails on Showtime if you want to see the real thing. I think I saw it listed this morning actually. 

The world needs many important things.  I don't think a renaissance of Tammy & the T-Rex is one of them.

The story behind the movie is amazing, as well.

Some random rich guy goes to Stewart Raffill and tells him: "I have an animatronic dinosaur for a few weeks before it gets shipped out. We should make a movie.'

"What's the story?"

"I don't have a story, just a dinosaur. And it needs to start shooting in two weeks"

So Raffill makes an absurd but gory teen horror film, and the rich dude gets all upset because he expected a family movie. So he hired somebody else to edit it down into PG.

And yet, somehow, it wound up with Denise Richards and Paul Walker in it. 

Then it basically got buried for 25 years until Vinegar Syndrome acquired the rights and put back the blood and gore and now it's finally having it's day in the sun.

• Like 1

On January 12, 2020 at 5:58 PM, Casey said:

My god Jay & Silent Bob Reboot is full of fan service and meta commentary but goddamnit do I love it.

I made it about...2 minutes in. Yeah I think my Kevin Smith goodwill and nostalgia for the View Askewiverse is well in my  past.

10 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Bad Boys For Life running at 84% on Rotten Tomatoes after 25 reviews.  I'm pleasantly surprised and getting very excited.

It's going to be better than that last trash Star Wars flick.

@me nerds?

Edited by _MJ_
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I've DVR'd and decided to watch Once Upon A Time In America. 

I'll see you in four hours. 

I still have to get through all of my recent TCM DVR content:   Logan's Run, Westworld, and CHOPPING MALL~!!