DVDVR Message Board

2020 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I just sat through Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and uhhhh... I really don't understand why people loved it so much. For me, the only good part came in the last 30 minutes. Everything up until then felt like a movie that was/would probably loved by people that are deep into movie history or the inner workings of the movie/TV industry.

If I didn't know Quentin Tarantino directed this, and you told me after the movie was over, I would have called you a liar. Well, I would have believed it after a few minutes of thinking back on the movie and remembering all of the dirty feet shots, anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I just sat through Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and uhhhh... I really don't understand why people loved it so much. For me, the only good part came in the last 30 minutes. Everything up until then felt like a movie that was/would probably loved by people that are deep into movie history or the inner workings of the movie/TV industry.

If I didn't know Quentin Tarantino directed this, and you told me after the movie was over, I would have called you a liar. Well, I would have believed it after a few minutes of thinking back on the movie and remembering all of the dirty feet shots, anyway.

I think the movie is really liked by people who were around in the late 60s and 70s, who can appreciate how accurate the mise en scene was recreated. And yes, also the people who love film and tv history. 

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Best way to get in the running for an Oscar is to make a movie about Hollywood!

Worked for La La Land (which sucked).

• Like 1

So what Donnie Yen movies should I check out.  Feel like I should check out some of his action flicks, but I'm not a martial art  guy, so I dunno where to start.  Only movies I've seen him in were XXX: I Forget the Rest of The Title But It's a Vin Diesel Film So I'm Not Taking The Time To Look It Up and Star Wars: Rogue One.

I'd probably start with the Ip Man series and then move on to Dragon Inn, 14 Blades, or Bodyguards & Assassins to stay In the period piece motif. 

Then I'd go with Flashpoint, SPL:  Kill Zone and maybe Kung Fu Jungle for a more modern take.

TBH, some of his best fight scenes are in movies where he's not even the main character (ie. Hero, Iron Monkey).

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

The High Note would have been a much, much, much more interesting film if, instead of a Diana Ross/Whitney Houston aging diva, the main character had been a thinly veiled Lauryn Hill expy:

Constant mood swings, always 2 hours late for concerts, treats her fans with contempt, only puts out new material because she owes millions in back taxes, which also ends with her going to federal prison.

Dakota Johnson is her long suffering personal assistant who is so blindly devoted to her boss's "artistic genius" that she can't see how awful she is treated and is basically in an emotionally abusive co-dependant relationship with the boss, to the point she has no self-esteem or self-identity outside of her job.

Edited by Southside Jim
I meant to post this in the 2020 Movies thread, but it's streaming so I guess it works here.
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Southside Jim said:

Dakota Johnson is her long suffering personal assistant who is so blindly devoted to her boss's "artistic genius" that she can't see how awful she is treated and is basically in an emotionally abusive co-dependant relationship with the boss, to the point she has no self-esteem or self-identity outside of her job.

That pretty much sums up her having to do the Fifty Shades movies...

1 hour ago, Southside Jim said:

The High Note would have been a much, much, much more interesting film if, instead of a Diana Ross/Whitney Houston aging diva, the main character had been a thinly veiled Lauryn Hill expy:

Constant mood swings, always 2 hours late for concerts, treats her fans with contempt, only puts out new material because she owes millions in back taxes, which also ends with her going to federal prison.

Didn't Lauryn Hill manage to do a Springtime For Hitler with her biggest selling album? This might be apocryphal, but she worked with dozens of writers and producers in developing the record, but then decided to not credit any of them and just put All Songs Written and Produced by Lauryn Hill on it. So they all sued (separately) sued her, and because she's not smart at courthouse business, she eventually had a situation where she had to give away like 150% of the royalties she earned on every album sale.

Didn't Lauryn Hill manage to do a Springtime For Hitler with her biggest selling album? This might be apocryphal, but she worked with dozens of writers and producers in developing the record, but then decided to not credit any of them and just put All Songs Written and Produced by Lauryn Hill on it. So they all sued (separately) sued her, and because she's not smart at courthouse business, she eventually had a situation where she had to give away like 150% of the royalties she earned on every album sale.

Something like that:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/lauryn-hill-settles-lawsuit-251366/

Edited by Southside Jim

6 hours ago, AxB said:

she eventually had a situation where she had to give away like 150% of the royalties she earned on every album sale.

Yeah, this part is bullshit. 

Depends on how big a fan of 80's schlock you are.

Chopping Mall features some nice nude scenes from Suzee Slater and the chick from Re-Animator, a fun cameo from Dick Miller, and, bizarrely, the leads from Eating Raoul.

EDIT: For some reason, I always confuse Barbara Crampton with the girl from Basket Case.

Edited by Southside Jim
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, caley said:

'Chopping Mall' and 'Night of the Creeps' are on TCM tonight. Are either/both worth watching?

YES and FUCK YES. 

Chopping Mall is fun '80s trash. Night of the Creeps is essential '80s trash. Tom Atkins facing off against alien slugs that turn people into zombies is just about the greatest idea for a film in recorded history. I say no more. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Tom Atkins facing off against alien slugs that turn people into zombies is just about the greatest idea for a film in recorded history. I say no more. 

Thrill me

• Like 1

Two legends born on this day. My amazing Dad is 60 today and Clint Eastwood is 90. Eastwood was in two of my top five greatest films of all time: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) and Unforgiven (1992). Clint Eastwood is a favourite of mine both in acting and behind the camera directing. My much missed Mum was a big fan as well.

• Like 2

Bone Tomahawk.

I did not know about that scene. I screamed. 

I was thoroughly enjoying a fine Western until then, and Kurt Russell’s mustache was doing some hella acting. Hell all of the performances were great - hell I didn’t even realize that was Matthew Fox. Even David Arquette was fully realized. 

But that scene. Jesus Christ that’s gotta be one of the most painful scenes I’ve ever seen. And it just wouldn’t end. 

5 stars

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The best thing about that scene is how Kurt Russell's character frames the scene with his dialogue.  His delirious insistence that the cavalry will arrive at any moment and rescue everyone just makes things worse.  

I am a hardened gore hound and I still cannot watch that scene without wincing.   

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

The best thing about that scene is how Kurt Russell's character frames the scene with his dialogue.  His delirious insistence that the cavalry will arrive at any moment and rescue everyone just makes things worse.  

I am a hardened gore hound and I still cannot watch that scene without wincing.   

And then Chicory tries to do the same thing during Sheriff Hunt's torture and he's so unsure of himself it just makes things so much worse.  Fantastic film.  I had just finished Zahler's novel, "A Congregation of Jackals," so I felt I should see his movie ... but I wasn't expecting that.  I guess I should have realized there'd be some f'ed up stuff since the novel had some crazy shit, but Jesus Christ. 

On 5/29/2020 at 8:34 PM, Curt McGirt said:

YES and FUCK YES. 

Chopping Mall is fun '80s trash. Night of the Creeps is essential '80s trash. Tom Atkins facing off against alien slugs that turn people into zombies is just about the greatest idea for a film in recorded history. I say no more. 

'Chopping Mall' was all right.  I feel like the one girl's head exploding early on sets you up for a really different schlock-y, gory film, then it backs away from that and gives you rather tame deaths from there on out.  I love that they used her head exploding for her credits shot, though.  That's just perfect.

'Night of the Creeps' was great.  The first twenty minutes or so, I almost had a broken neck from the way it jumped around:"Oh, it's a space movie with aliens...oh no, it's in the 50s and about an escaped axe murderer...no, wait, it's in the 80s with...zombies?"  And somehow it all kind of connects and makes sense.  It fully committed to its trashiness and goriness early on ad stays true to it.  I did NOT recognize the main kid is being the second Rusty from National Lampoon's European Vacation at all.  Tom Atkins is the king.

On 5/30/2020 at 10:27 AM, elizium said:

Thrill me

I've chickened out every time since, but I really want to answer the phone like this from now on.

Also watched

Black Girl: was on TCM Sunday night, about a Senagalese woman who gets a job with a rich white couple as a nanny, only to find herself a live-in slave when the family moves back to France.  It's really short and has a couple memorable scenes but I think it jumps a little too quick from malaise to tragedy.

Duplex: was on Lifetime Sunday morning and I know my mom liked it, so I put it all while I was messing about on my laptop.  I really feel like the ending is a cop-out and makes me wonder if something darker was planned, then abandoned after pressure.  It's a fairly entertaining dark comedy about a young couple dealing with the nightmare elderly tenant.

Oh, God!: which I caught on a whim and really loved.  George Burns is God, come to Earth to convince people that they have everything they need on Earth to make things work and, for some reason, chooses an Assistant Manager from a grocery store (John Denver) to spread his message.  It's a pretty warm-hearted little comedy with Denver trying to convince everyone he's not crazy, and a great performance by George Burns as God.  

A Guy Named Joe: I love the sappy Steven Spielberg-helmed 80s flick 'Always' and decided to seek out the original when it played on TCM this week.  Joe (Spencer Tracy) is a daredevil WWII pilot whose girlfriend wants him to quit flying and go back to the US to train new pilots, he agrees before taking one more mission which is, of course, his last.  He is then recruited by The General (Lionel Barrymore) to return to Earth as a sort-of spirit guide to a young pilot who ends up falling for the same woman Joe just left behind.  It's pretty good with some great actors (Irene Dunne, Van Johnson, James Gleason and, one of my faves, Ward Bond!) and a pretty touching screenplay.

The Wrong Missy: which was pretty damn bad.  David Spade is a mid-level executive (or some such bullshit) who goes on a bad blind date with an insane person (Lauren Lapkus).  He then meets his dreamgirl who loves all the same things he does and is, of course, a former beauty pageant winner.  He decides to invite her on a corporate retreat so he can her off for his boss but accidentally invite...the wrong missy!  Lapkus, whom I normally think is pretty funny, grinds and mugs and dirty-talks her way all over the retreat  but it's still not very funny.  The only thing I'll say for it is that the ending went a different direction than I expected.

• Like 1