DVDVR Message Board

2020 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The thing about Joel Schumacher movies that aren't as bad as you might expect: Just think how good they could have been, if a capable director had made them instead. If you think about it, the less awful ones are usually the ones with a good script and a great performance from the lead actor. 

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 6:38 AM, Control said:

I watched SHAFT (1971) for the first time last night, and honestly It was pretty dull. COFFY & FOXY BROWN are much better. Pam Grier is so great that I almost want to track down her even sleazier women-in-prison films.

Start with Black Mama, White Mama and work your way down the food chain (The Big Doll-House, Women in Cages, cringe cringe cringe). 

Pam and Margaret Markov hooked back up a year after Black Mama, White Mama to film an even sleazier movie about women gladiators called The Arena.  I think the alternateEuropean title was (not kidding) Naked Warriors.  

The billing tagline for The Arena was (also not kidding) Black Slave, White Slave to build on the exploitation momentum from their previous outing in Black Mama, White Mama.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 1:01 PM, AxB said:

Also, this movie is massively bigoted. Not the characters in it (well, some of them), but the actual movie itself is super racist, sexist, homophobic, even ageist. Basically, this is "I'm not racist but..." The Movie.

I felt that way about Taken.  Every non-American in the movie was evil, even Liam Neeson's partner who we thought might be a good guy,  and the message was, if you're a pretty white American girl, don't you dare travel to those horrible foreign countries.  Stay in 'Murica and you'll be safe.

The only thing I remember about Phone Booth is a line my friends and I still quote when playing video games, even as recently as yesterday when we were playing Dota 2 - "Man! You done made me hurt my dick hand!

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Oh God do I hate Batman Forever

The more I came to love Batman TAS, the more I disliked Batman Forever as Carrey portrays the Riddler pretty much as a Joker clone and that either screams miscasting or that Jim just gave them what they asked him for.

The Seal song on the soundtrack is awesome and there is a U2 song on there that isn't so bad either.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I felt that way about Taken.  Every non-American in the movie was evil, even Liam Neeson's partner who we thought might be a good guy,  and the message was, if you're a pretty white American girl, don't you dare travel to those horrible foreign countries.  Stay in 'Murica and you'll be safe.

I can agree somewhat but human trafficking in white teen females is still a real thing and unfortunately wealthy Arab men make up a percentage of the perps.

Taken may have been grossly jingoist and very racist, but it wasn't entirely inaccurate.

There's also the issue of hindsight being 20/20 and me no longer having a favorable opinion of Liam Neeson after the whole I wandered the streets looking for random black dudes to beat up dealie.

Edited by J.T.

17 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

It was the first Batman movie I ever saw, so it holds a special place in my heart. Only other one I've seen is Batman, still need to see Returns and Batman & Robin.

You don't need to see Batman and Robin.

On the subject of Taken, the thing is it's set in Paris, France. There are probably fifty cities in America that are more dangerous (and more corrupt) than Paris.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, AxB said:

You don't need to see Batman and Robin.

On the subject of Taken, the thing is it's set in Paris, France. There are probably fifty cities in America that are more dangerous (and more corrupt) than Paris.

It was produced in France by French production companies, so...I’m not entirely sure what that has to do with anything?  I don’t know why it would be set anywhere besides France.

And he definitely needs to see BATMAN & ROBIN.

So, really, I’m just finding fault with the premise of this entire post.

Edited by EVA
  • Haha 6

I remember watching the 1989 Batman movie when I was like really young - I can't pinpoint the exact age I was, but I want to say I was like 5 or 6 maybe. My two terrors at that age was Undertaker with Paul Bearer, and Danny DeVito as The Penguin. Also, I think Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman was the first time I ever thought to myself, "gee, seeing this makes me feel real funny".

I think we've had this conversation before, but Batman Forever had an awesome soundtrack. Just take away a few things like U2, Seal and Brandy and it's fucking awesome. Mazzy Star? PJ Harvey? The Flaming Lips? Nick Cave? Sunny Day Real Estate?! IN A BATMAN MOVIE?

(Yes, I know they weren't all in the movie, but still. Batman is on the fucking cover of the album, with a song by SDRE. C'mon.)

Edited by Casey

In case anyone was curious (and it probably was posted already)

James Gunn tweeted his 54 favorite "action" movies. (Spoiler tag for length)

Spoiler
  • Kung Fu Hustle (2004)
  • The Matrix (1999)
  • The Bourne Ultimatum (2007)
  • Die Hard (1988)
  • Edge of Tomorrow (2014)
  • JSA: Joint Security Area (2000)
  • Elite Squad: The Enemy Within (2010)
  • Lady Vengeance (2005)
  • Mission: Impossible – Fallout (2018)
  • Bullitt (1968)
  • North by Northwest (1959)
  • The Yellow Sea (2010)
  • The Raid: Redemption (2012)
  • Hero (2002)
  • Night Watch (2004)
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)
  • Taken (2008)
  • The Heroic Trio (1993)
  • The French Connection (1971)
  • Robocop (1987)
  • The Killer (1989)
  • The Legend of Drunken Master (1994)
  • The Legend (Fong Sai Yuk) (1993)
  • Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
  • Kill Bill: Volume 1 (2003)
  • The Villainess (2017)
  • Revenge (2018)
  • Crank (2006)
  • Kingsman: The Secret Service (2015)
  • Escape from New York (1981)
  • Battle Royale (2000)
  • Full Contact (1992)
  • Oldboy (2005)
  • Thunderball (1965)
  • La Femme Nikita (1990)
  • Leon: The Professional (1994)
  • Magnum Force (1973)
  • Speed (1994)
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
  • ’71 (2014)
  • Payback (theatrical cut) (1999)
  • Equilibrium (2002)
  • John Wick (2014)
  • Mesrine: Killer Instinct (2008)
  • Mesrine: Public Enemy #1 (2008)
  • Where Eagles Dare (1968)
  • Ms. 45 (1981)
  • Green Snake (1993)
  • Captain Phillips (2013)
  • Seven Samurai (1954)
  • Rolling Thunder (1977)
  • The Wild Bunch (1969)
  • V for Vendetta (2006)
  • Brotherhood of the Wolf (2001)

On 4/21/2020 at 2:05 AM, Brian Fowler said:

I pine for the alternate universe where Burton and Keaton stick around, Robin Williams is Nygma, Billy Dee is still Harvey, Marlon Wayans doesn’t get bought out of his Robin contract, and Rene Russo is the love interest. 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 4:38 AM, Control said:

I watched SHAFT (1971) for the first time last night, and honestly It was pretty dull. COFFY & FOXY BROWN are much better. Pam Grier is so great that I almost want to track down her even sleazier women-in-prison films.

I actually think 'Shaft's Big Score' is better than the first 'Shaft'. I mean, the first one has the incredible score, but part II was a lot more fun and action-y.

On 4/19/2020 at 6:16 AM, Control said:

I saw it when it came out and literally couldn’t tell you a single thing about it. I was 19 at the time and it was 20 years ago, so that doesn’t really say anything about the film.

I watched this when it came out with my cousins and I SWEAR in the backgroun there's a cop trying to put a velvet-rope-holding metal pole into the TINIEST ziploc bag for evidence that we rewound and LAUGHED our heads off at, but I'm scared to go back and watch it again and discover we made it up!

On 4/20/2020 at 11:05 PM, Brian Fowler said:

For years, I disliked (and still do) and made fun of 'Batman and Robin' for being stupid and terrible but always seemed to miss 'Batman Forever'.  Even when my friends and I got together to watch all 4 Batman movies in one day, I fell asleep during the opening credits to Batman Forever.   Last year, I decided to finally sit down and watch 'Batman Forever' and it is the WORST.  Just dreadful.  At least B&R had Schwarzenegger's wacky puns, BF was shit from start to finish.  I was telling my brother about how GRATING Jim Carrey's performance was (And I still love 'Ace Ventura' and it's fairly racist brother 'Ace Ventura 2' so it's not like I completely reject Carrey's wackiness) and he summed up Carrey's performance with "Stop that.  You're a grown man.  Knock it off." and I don't think anything else sums that performance up as well.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 7:15 AM, J.T. said:

The more I came to love Batman TAS, the more I disliked Batman Forever as Carrey portrays the Riddler pretty much as a Joker clone and that either screams miscasting or that Jim just gave them what they asked him for.

The Seal song on the soundtrack is awesome and there is a U2 song on there that isn't so bad either.

Batman Forever did give us the all time great real life Tommy Lee Jones quote that he "Could not sanction your buffoonery" to Carrey. I can't stop laughing just thinking of that conversation

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

I love some 90s nostalgia, and Batman Forever/Seal is it

57 minutes ago, Phil4126 said:

Batman Forever did give us the all time great real life Tommy Lee Jones quote that he "Could not sanction your buffoonery" to Carrey. I can't stop laughing just thinking of that conversation

I hated Batman Forever when I it as a kid, but I will always appreciate it for bring us these two things.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

The one thing that I did enjoy was Two-Face's seminar on how to punch someone in the face. 

Ball up a fist.  Reach way back.  Assert yourself.

• Haha 2