DVDVR Message Board

2020 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

21 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just finished The Gentlemen. Overly convoluted, goofy in spots, not as good as Lock Stock or Snatch by far, but still alright. Nice (double) throwback to the end of The Long Good Friday. Charlie Hunnam should never try to affect a British accent again.

Hilarious thing is he's a Brit.

• Haha 2

Trying to watch The Revenant, but it's not grasping me at all. I think I heard too much about it before I saw it. False expectations maybe.

Tom Hardy needs subtitles. Mumbling git. Even when he shouts he mumbles.

I think it's just Charlie Hunnam's cadence or delivery or something because he sounded bad many times on Sons of Anarchy, but when I've heard his natural accent it also doesn't sound right. I think the only time he's sounded normal or natural was when he was on Undeclared years ago.

It’s a non-stop action film with very little break in between. But unlike Mad Max, The Revenant feels less... Clever I guess would be the word, and two dimensional with its world, characters, and action. At the end of the day it felt like I watched another paint-by-numbers summer flick, but this one had “ACTING”. Or really Leo had to eat raw meat to get a fucking trophy when he should’ve won it five films ago.

• Like 1

I was finally able to watch The Colour out of Space last weekend. By the end of it I was drunk off my ass, but it still creeped the crap out of me. Pretty much everything that happens in the story ended up happening in the movie, but in such a fucked up way that it felt completely different. My memory is hazy on both accounts, as it's been a good while since I've read the story. I loved the aesthetics of the movie and will probably buy it on DVD ( yeah, I don't even have Blueray) once I can get it super cheap.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The Revenant is stunningly beautiful. That goes a long way for me.

I don't have much else nice to say about it though.

To me I’ve seen better snow westerns before, so I wasn’t all that impressed with it visually. I wasn’t impressed either with the faked one-take gimmick that the director likes to utilize, which has nothing to do with the stories being told in Birdman, or The Revenant. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Flipping thru the channels last night and saw that Death Wish 3 was just starting.  When people talk about movies they are compelled to watch anytime they come across it randomly, this is the movie that does it for me.  So insanely fucking enjoyable for all the wrong/right reasons.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You really should, and then watch it a 2nd time over because you might’ve expected something different. It’s no joke, my favorite Spaghetti Western.

I've had an inkling it might end up being mine as well. It's got to be on Prime or Netflix. 

I still need to see Conquest too! 

EDIT: It's a $2.99 rental on Prime. If I can't find it by my surreptitious means then I'll do that. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You really should, and then watch it a 2nd time over because you might’ve expected something different. It’s no joke, my favorite Spaghetti Western.

The arthouse theatre brought the remastered version in 2018. I knew nothing about it beyond Klaus Kinski and that Tarantino copped some shots for the Hateful 8. Blown away, absolutely blown away. That ending is something

Some modern western really needs to bring back that weird box gun that Silence uses.

Edited by elizium

6 hours ago, Trebor said:

Flipping thru the channels last night and saw that Death Wish 3 was just starting.  When people talk about movies they are compelled to watch anytime they come across it randomly, this is the movie that does it for me.  So insanely fucking enjoyable for all the wrong/right reasons.

So good! I miss 80s movies where vigilantes take on particularly aimlessly violent street gangs. I'm still amazed/perplexed by the 

Spoiler

rape scene where the street toughs rape and beat up Counselor Troi and the hospital phones them and says she's broken her arm. So Kersey and her husband go down to the hospital and the doctor says "I'm sorry she's expired" and Kersey says "But they told me she just had a broken arm" and the doctor does the equivalence of a shrug and that's it. 

Death Wish 4 is pretty good, too. Death Wish V is PAINFUL. 

Also related, this kills me

I'

• Haha 1

I remember seeing the 3rd one first, and being hyper impressed by this much more serious, and darkly stylish take on live-action kaiju movies. Felt like watching a Madhouse horror anime, and not just a cheesy rubber suit movie. So after being impressed by the last one, I decided to catch the other two, and I have to admit I was disappointed. I had no idea the 3rd film was a real departure from the previous films in the trilogy. Not that they are bad, but they aren’t that different from the Godzilla films from that period.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/nov/02/johnny-depp-loses-libel-case-against-sun-over-claims-he-beat-ex-wife-amber-heard

Might as well leave this here I guess. Johnny Depp has had a libel suit against the Sun in Britian being debated for months and he lost it. Apparently he was beating the shit out of his ex-wife Amber Heard which they brought to light. So, there's another one for the fire...

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/nov/02/johnny-depp-loses-libel-case-against-sun-over-claims-he-beat-ex-wife-amber-heard

Might as well leave this here I guess. Johnny Depp has had a libel suit against the Sun in Britian being debated for months and he lost it. Apparently he was beating the shit out of his ex-wife Amber Heard which they brought to light. So, there's another one for the fire...

That case isn't nearly as cut-and-dry as that article makes it seem.  There's a big pile of evidence that Heard was physically violent toward Depp as well.