DVDVR Message Board

2020 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I’m not sure whether I love or hate this new trend of Robert Pattinson doing the worst accents you’ve ever heard in Netflix movies, but it’s definitley a thing.  I mean, I thought it was going to be tough to top his French in THE KING, but then he dropped his Southern preacher accent in THE DEVIL ALL THE TIME:

a51842e7e1c4f26b54d1ca76276011a9beb9ab49

DILLEWWWWSSEYUNS.

Came across Harlem Nights yesterday morning for the first time in years. It's the only movie Eddie Murphy directed (he also starred, wrote the script and executive produced), and it isn't... particularly... good... although there's some fun bits with him, Richard Pryor, Redd Foxx and Della Reese all having a big ol' time playing off each other. You can already see Pryor dealing with the onset of MS, although mentally he's sharp as a tack and still Richard muhfuggin' Pryor.

Spoiler

"How was your date?" "I killed her." "Tore the pussy up, huh?" "No, man, I killed her." "What the fuck you talking about? Was the pussy that bad, man?"

There's a beautiful shot of Murphy, Pryor and Foxx together at the very end... really lovely and poignant in retrospect. It reminded me of the end to The Shootist for similar real-life reasons.

21 hours ago, Pete said:

Came across Harlem Nights yesterday morning for the first time in years. It's the only movie Eddie Murphy directed (he also starred, wrote the script and executive produced), and it isn't... particularly... good... although there's some fun bits with him, Richard Pryor, Redd Foxx and Della Reese all having a big ol' time playing off each other. You can already see Pryor dealing with the onset of MS, although mentally he's sharp as a tack and still Richard muhfuggin' Pryor.

Reveal hidden contents

"How was your date?" "I killed her." "Tore the pussy up, huh?" "No, man, I killed her." "What the fuck you talking about? Was the pussy that bad, man?"

There's a beautiful shot of Murphy, Pryor and Foxx together at the very end... really lovely and poignant in retrospect. It reminded me of the end to The Shootist for similar real-life reasons.

I don't remember liking Harlem Nights much, but I do remember thinking Murphy would probably make a good movie eventually.

You know everybody always talks about the flawed internal logic of The Terminator but nobody ever brings up how self-defeating it is to have the T-800 be Arnold. You'd think Skynet would send someone a little more inconspicuous than Mr. friggin' Olympia. Robert Patrick makes way more sense. 

18 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You know everybody always talks about the flawed internal logic of The Terminator but nobody ever brings up how self-defeating it is to have the T-800 be Arnold. You'd think Skynet would send someone a little more inconspicuous than Mr. friggin' Olympia. Robert Patrick makes way more sense. 

Sure, but that's the upgrade, right? Like they go full on with Arnold because they want a human male that looks perfect to mirror the perfection of their technology. That fails. They go back to the drawing board and come up with someone who actually looks human - weak and lame. Without the mistake of choosing Arnold we don't get to see the machine learning. Then they go from lame looking gym teacher to a hot chick, which is even better.

• Like 5

Alright you got me. I haven't watched any of the movies after 2, and I don't think I've watched either of those in over 20 years. I didn't even know there was a movie called Genisys.

For the "hot female Terminator", I could also say: do you mean the T-X from Rise of the Machines, or the like, three female Terminators from that FOX show?

You've made a wise decision in only watching the first two.

• Haha 1

I was wondering what the Academy Awards were going to do this year, if anything, with such nominal output.  And then I realized David Fincher's releasing something on Netflix, and I guess it's finally his year.

Also, I started watching The Handmaiden on Amazon Prime - why was this not free sooner!??!?  I'm only halfway through, but it might be the most bonkers thing Chan-wook Park has ever done, and THAT is covering a lot of ground.

It reminds me a lot of Portrait of a Lady on Fire in every good way possible; can't really say yet which is better, but I'm guessing Portrait, because it feels a little more self-realized.  But Handmaiden is a really rich film, even for a period piece of sorts.  It'll be interesting to see the last bit; as long as it lives up to the first section, it'll be on my ever-evolving Top 100 List somewhere.

• Like 1

FWIW, Cameron did originally intend the T-800 to be just a guy that could blend, but Arnold wanted that part instead of Kyle iirc, and so that's what we got.

My own head canon: the metal frame for the T-800 needed to be that large to hold all necessary machinery, so it had to be a big guy. And they later refined the process.

Both seasons of the Fox show were pretty good, though frustrating in how the writers strike derailed the first one and they all but rebooted the storyline for season 2, and then season 2 ended on a fucking massive cliffhanger that never got resolved while we kept getting movies that aren't nearly as good as the show was.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

THERE WAS A SHOW TOO?

Lena Headley as Sarah Connor, Summer Glau as a Terminator, Dean Winters recurring, Shirley Manson as a T-1000, it was pretty decent even if the Writers Strike nuked it.

And we'll never know how it was supposed to go, as the Showrunner has said he's never saying what would've happened.

But it was better than any of the post-2 movies we got.

• Like 1

Firstly, in the show at one point Shirley Manson Terminator transformed into a Urinal for no particular reason. Presumably someone involved with writing the show has some very interesting... interests.

Secondly, when James Cameron was pitching the movie, he had the actor who he was planning on have play the Terminator come to the pitch meetings with him, in costume, IN CHARACTER. And it was Lance Henriksen.

• Like 2