DVDVR Message Board

2020 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The Last Witch Hunter is really not very good. It's also not the movie I was expecting, I had thought it was going to be Vin Diesel indulging his love of Dungeons & Dragons but actually that's just the James Bond pre-opening credits scene and then most of it is in contemporary New York. You wouldn't think a movie with this cast would be this lacklustre, but they've really got nothing to work with.

This movie would have been much improved if Nicolas Cage was in it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AxB said:

The Last Witch Hunter is really not very good. It's also not the movie I was expecting, I had thought it was going to be Vin Diesel indulging his love of Dungeons & Dragons but actually that's just the James Bond pre-opening credits scene and then most of it is in contemporary New York. You wouldn't think a movie with this cast would be this lacklustre, but they've really got nothing to work with.

This movie would have been much improved if Nicolas Cage was in it.

Yeah, I was really disappointed in that one. I wanted mindless Vin sword swinging fun and got just the mindless.

• Like 1

I've watched two movies over the last week that I was enjoying and have had to stop halfway through because of my kid's first grade class. Driving me crazy bro.

This past Friday was my wife's turn to program our date night double feature.

She went with CONAN THE BARBARIAN & CONAN THE DESTROYER. She's the best. I haven't watched these in ages.

The first had me wanting to play D&D every 3 minutes. I love it when movies don't explain world building shit, it just happens and you have to just buy in. Like when Valeria just comes back as a Valkyrie or whatever for a moment. I was like "WHAT ALLOWS HER TO DO THAT?" which I loved. Also James Earl Jones has the most haunting stare in probably any villain in any movie. I'll take Thulsa Doom over Hannibal Lecter. Also Arnold was fucking YOKED.

The second movie is rougher, because they added a little too much comedy and tighter pacing. I like my movies messy and wild. But Grace Jones is fucking incredible so it evens out. My wife was marking out for her every time she did something. I had no idea she Grace Jones. The monsters were...not great looking compared to the snake puppet in the first one, and I forgot that this one had a Cthulhu thing going on, which was kinda neat. Also Arnold was slimmer but still fucking YOKED.

• Like 4

Yeah that monster at the end was... very well lit for something that probably should have been masked in shadows.

It's also ridiculous that they used Andre the Giant and I don't think it made a difference, based on how it was shot. Could have been anyone standing on apple crates.

So both monsters were wrestlers. The stinky mage that you posted was  British wrestler Pat Roach. You can tell he was a classic  BritWres guy the way that fight is choreographed. You'll recognize him from the Indiana Jones movies- he's the dude that gets propeller'd (I think he played like four parts over those three movies.)

And yeah...here's a pic from the set of Wilt and Andre holding Arnold like a little kid.

Spoiler

Wilt Chamberlain and Andre the Giant taking Arnold Schwarzenegger for a  stroll. Btw Arnold is 6'2 : pics

• Like 4

Instead of watching the debate last night, I took that time to watch the 1967 Lee Marvin starring vehicle, Point Blank. I am satisfied with my choice last night, and the movie actually lifted my spirits in that it gave me thought to pause that whenever I think i am not aging gracefully, this is what 43 years old  looked like in 1967.

EjL7ftjU4AAfVix?format=jpg

Watching BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (Murakami, 1980) a Star Wars ripoff that’s also a remake of the Seven Samurai, written by John Sayles and with James Cameron in the art department.

So it’s entertaining, at least.

• Like 1

The Mechanic from '72 is ending right now. They just used a bulldozer to push a car of a cliff -- a real car, that turned into total mulch on the way down. 

The '70s man, the '70s. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Speaking of which, it'll be on EPIX again next week a couple of times if you wanna watch or DVR it, I set it up to record considering they never ever ever play the original. 

• Like 1

Oh man. I just finished watching the brilliant 1988 thriller The Vanishing. So I went on Letterboxd to see what other movies Bernard-Pierre Donnadieu starred in when a movie poster triggered an ancient memory.

Somewhere around 10-15 years ago I had invited some friends over and they were pretty late, so I was flipping through TV channels, when I suddenly stumbled upon a woman fucking a chimpanzee. I couldn't believe, what I was seeing. Naturally, I did what everyone in my situation would have done and kept on watching for another 10-15 minutes until I frankly got bored and moved on. Later, when my friends arrived I told them about what I had just seen and they didn't believe me. Ever since then I was wondering what fucked up movie this was and why it aired on free television... and now I know. It was a French movie from 1986 called Max mon amour starring Charlotte Rampling. It seems to be rather obscure with only 905 registered viewings on IMDB. So now you know about this movie as well and here's a clip:

Spoiler

• Haha 1

So today, when the Black Label Pro stream on IWTV went out, I watched Ready Player One. Apparently everyone who loved the book hated the movie. I haven't read the book, but I thought the movie unremarkable. It was just standard Hollywood cheese, basically. Dress it up with a bunch of "Oh look it's a popular or obscure nerdy cultural reference from the 80s" to try and get some unearned goodwill from the audience and that's all that differentiates it from a thousand other unheralded young guy saves the world movies. Pretty boring, really.

10 hours ago, AxB said:

So today, when the Black Label Pro stream on IWTV went out, I watched Ready Player One. Apparently everyone who loved the book hated the movie. I haven't read the book, but I thought the movie unremarkable. It was just standard Hollywood cheese, basically. Dress it up with a bunch of "Oh look it's a popular or obscure nerdy cultural reference from the 80s" to try and get some unearned goodwill from the audience and that's all that differentiates it from a thousand other unheralded young guy saves the world movies. Pretty boring, really.

I definitely didn't find it to be anything special. I don't regret watching it, but I don't think I'm likely to ever do so again.

I watched Deliverance yesterday for the first time ever. I thought it was about Burt Reynolds & Jon Voight battling redneck rapists. That’s actually a very small part of the story. It’s...  I’m not sure, but the majority of the last act is the characters hiding a murder. Maybe it’s about a bunch of jerk ass city slickers judging people by the way they look. I mean sure, a couple of the hillbillies did rape Ned Beatty at knife point, but outside of that it’s Reynolds being afraid that everybody at the bottom of the river will accuse them of cold-blooded murder. It’s good, but I don’t know if I enjoyed after they crash their boat, and Ronny Cox bites it. Maybe, It’s also a comment of Vietnam in a way as the central characters are very disturbed by their own actions more than the two antagonist.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

On 10/2/2020 at 2:54 PM, The Z said:

Oh man. I just finished watching the brilliant 1988 thriller The Vanishing. So I went on Letterboxd to see what other movies Bernard-Pierre Donnadieu starred in when a movie poster triggered an ancient memory.

Reveal hidden contents

The 1993 American remake is very good, too. It's creepy as heck. 

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I watched Deliverance yesterday for the first time ever. I thought it was about Burt Reynolds & Jon Voight battling redneck rapists. That’s actually a very small part of the story. It’s...  I’m not sure, but the majority of the last act is the characters hiding a murder. Maybe it’s about a bunch of jerk ass city slickers judging people by the way they look. I mean sure, a couple of the hillbillies did rape Ned Beatty at knife point, but outside of that it’s Reynolds being afraid that everybody at the bottom of the river will accuse them of cold-blooded murder. It’s good, but I don’t know if I enjoyed after they crash their boat, and Ronny Cox bites it. Maybe, It’s also a comment of Vietnam in a way as the central characters are very disturbed by their own actions more than the two antagonist.

One of Ned Beatty's rapists(Bill McKinney) was the insane Rabbit Man in Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

Edited by driver

I read an interview with Burt Reynolds where he said that it looked like nobody had told McKinney that the rape scene was supposed to be a work, so he was going to shoot rape Ned Beatty. Reynolds then had unfortunate wording, explaining how the situation was resolved. He said "McKinney had it up, it looked like he was really going to rape Ned. But I ran in and pulled him off".

Now that I am not watching stuff for the 20-10s poll - I knocked some big dumb movies out.

Fast & Furious 6 and Spider-Man: Far From Home

I am not saying anything that requires me to dig up their threads other to say watching big dumb movies with a cynical almost 16 year old is the best

• Haha 1