DVDVR Message Board

2020 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Bill & Ted Face The Music is exactly the kind of movie I needed to see right now. Is it a revolutionary cinematic tour de force? No. But it's a hell of a lot of fun and you'll have a big smile on your face while you watch it. Make sure to go all the way to the end of the credits for a neat little post credits scene. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 1:03 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Remember like 10 years ago when Ron Jeremy was considered a quirky and fun celebrity? 

Well...

Great now I can no longer laugh at one of the most hilariously nonsensical reality TV moments ever: Ron Jeremy on 'Hoarders'!

Still remember the first time I saw this on 'The Soup' and still have so many questions, maybe more now than ever!

The end of Robocop 2 was just on while I was eating lunch. Two things: 

1. I had no idea the soundtrack had singers operatically wailing "ROOOOOBOCOOOOOOP, ROOOOOBOCOOOOOOOP" over the end credits. It was a truly bizarre development. 

2. Lewis saying to Murphy "He's getting away with it. We can't even touch him." about the Old Man right after he scoots away in his limo, ready to put somebody else's head on the chopping block, was one of the most disheartening things to hear in a movie this year. Sure Murphy, "patience". Fuck all that. 

Still haven't gone to see Tenet, because I can't really be bothered. Plus apparently it's out in America this weekend, so even the lustre that having ability to boast that I got to see it before people who really wanted to could, has gone. I've read a couple of reviews, and some are like "***** Incredible Spectacle!" and some are "two stars makes no sense, it's just a bunch of stuff happening". Which, on the one hand, if Chris Nolan is basically making Jacky Chan movies at this point (coming up with action set pieces first, then working out the plot as a way of having a reason for them to happen), I like Jacky Chan movies. But I like that they aren't pretentious, and Nolan doesn't do unpretentious, does he? Quite the opposite, in fact.

I'm guessing whoever does go to see it first gets to start the Tenet w/Spoilers thread though. Still might be me. I'm ambivalent.

On 9/4/2020 at 6:19 PM, Control said:

Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack has to be one of the all time great film titles.

Good movie, too, but maybe the most disappointing Godzilla at the same time.

Te

On 9/4/2020 at 3:55 PM, AxB said:

Still haven't gone to see Tenet, because I can't really be bothered. Plus apparently it's out in America this weekend, so even the lustre that having ability to boast that I got to see it before people who really wanted to could, has gone. I've read a couple of reviews, and some are like "***** Incredible Spectacle!" and some are "two stars makes no sense, it's just a bunch of stuff happening". Which, on the one hand, if Chris Nolan is basically making Jacky Chan movies at this point (coming up with action set pieces first, then working out the plot as a way of having a reason for them to happen), I like Jacky Chan movies. But I like that they aren't pretentious, and Nolan doesn't do unpretentious, does he? Quite the opposite, in fact.

I'm guessing whoever does go to see it first gets to start the Tenet w/Spoilers thread though. Still might be me. I'm ambivalent.

Very accurate review, in my opinion. Lots of elaborate sequences for the sake of having elaborate sequences.

I feel, and mine is just the opinion of a nobody, that Nolan is going through a competition in his mind with the makers of the Oceans 11 and Mission Impossible franchises, aka he wants to be the king of the world at elaborate break ins and convoluted set ups. 

Which isnt a knock on his movies. He's doing, imho, high level sci fi concepts that can be challenging  to portray in a visual medium yet he pulls it off, when it seems all he really wants to do is caper movies. Here's this impenetrable vault/building and we're going to bust in Oceans/MI style but with an even bigger and grander budget. And we'll wrap up the story in sci fi reality threatening concepts because we can. Like high spots with flippy skinny guys in indyriffic gear spamming their finishers and kicking out of everything because moves = star ratings.

Nolan feels like that lately, to me. Cram in these sequences and special effects (the kickpad flippy guys spamming moves) and wrap it up with the high concept storyline (endless kickouts in long matches) because that's epic storytelling (moves+match length=stars)

Without going into spoilers I'll say it reminded me of the one indiana jones movie they talked about on TBBT where you can take Indy out of the movie as the protagonist and the story still reaches conflict resolution by the third act because he didn't actually contribute anything. Take everything that happened here, and as Battinson says towards the end, the journey is only starting, it's not over yet. Like those early levels of Super Mario Bros, "sorry mario the princess is in another castle!" Like yeah you went through all these sequences and set pieces, but you didn't beat the final boss. You're just past the training levels and ready to get started.

Is how I felt. Between this and the reviews of AEW I feel like I'd have best spent my night doing something else entirely like playing NBA live 96 or WWF no mercy or something. 

Man...Tenet was super disappointing, but I need to see it again. At home. With subtitles on. Because this was without a doubt the worst sound production in a movie ever. Way worse than Dark Knight Rises.

About just before they kinda reveal what's going on i started thinking that this was inspired by Primer. And that's about the best comparison to make to this movie. Except that even then, there's still a whole lot of shit that is confusing and doesn't make sense. 

Robert Pattinson was pretty cool though. 

5 hours ago, Control said:

Please elaborate @Brian Fowler

Shusuke Kaneko directed the nigh-legendary Gamera trilogy in the 90's, generally considered the best Daikaiju Eiga of that decade, and amongst the very best ever made. So, basically, the biggest dream out there was him directing Godzilla. GMK finally made that a reality, and it's good. But it's nowhere near as good as any of his three Gamera films, and it's didn't redefine Godzilla for a new generation, etc...

Also, a good Ghidorah? Preposterous. Hmmpf

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

Shusuke Kaneko directed the nigh-legendary Gamera trilogy in the 90's, generally considered the best Daikaiju Eiga of that decade, and amongst the very best ever made. So, basically, the biggest dream out there was him directing Godzilla. GMK finally made that a reality, and it's good. But it's nowhere near as good as any of his three Gamera films, and it's didn't redefine Godzilla for a new generation, etc...

Also, a good Ghidorah? Preposterous. Hmmpf

Oh, I got you. I thought you were saying that the Godzilla within the film was disappointing. I thought he was pretty great.

As part of my comical attempt to watch my entire backlog before doing my best of ballot - I watched Safety Not Guaranteed

Why am I always disappointed by Mark Duplass movies?

In the case of Safety Not Guaranteed, you were disappointed because it's a rubbish movie that leans on Aubrey Plaza being awesome to give it the illusion of quality. A bad idea, executed badly. Trevorrow is a not-talented guy, basically.

So I watched Dark City (1998) for the first time in more than a decade. I think maybe it suffers a little from being made in that 90s time period where it looked good on VHS and fine on DVD, but as soon as it's upscaled to HD it suddenly seems diminished. Like cheap and unfinished. It is a very interesting visual concept as well, the 50s Film Noir look mixed (and actually, the way it's shot and staged, and even the style of the performances as well are very much a Film Noir thing) with the Sci-Fi citybending that everyone thinks Dr Strange stole off Inception (although the Dark City version has like a tiny fraction of the effects budget that the later movies had. It's all done with miniatures and occasionally practical sets being slid across the floor). Also, if you watch Dark City, The Crow and the first Blade movie, you've basically just watched The Matrix without actually watching the Matrix. They took the plot from one, the aesthetic from the other, and the 'groundbreaking, never before seen' effects and Martial Arts style from the other other. I liked it more when I watched it younger... I'd put it in the good but not great bracket now.

• Like 2