DVDVR Message Board

2020 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Watching the 2013 remake of Carrie. Kind of feels like even though it's supposed to be far more contemporary than the 1976 version, it doesn't feel that different. One bit with someone filming something on a phone and putting it online instead of just, like, telling people about it. And they mention Tim Tebow, which really makes it sound not current in 2020. And it does have Carrie discovering and using (like, having some mastery of) her Telekinetic powers much earlier in the story. 

It does sort of feel kind of like... once you get past the two main stars being Julianne Moore and Chloe Grace Moretz, I don't recognise any of the actors in this movie. The way it's shot and directed, it's a bit... soapy. It's a bit TV movie, if you get what I mean. Like, it doesn't absolutely suck or anything, but I don't think anyone would ever see the 1976 version and the 2013 version and think the more recent one was the better of the two. Although weirdly Chloe Grace Moretz playing Carrie does remind me of the strange quiet excessively religious girl from my school in a way that Sissy Spacek never did. Even though neither of them look anything like she did. If she had looked like either of them, I'd have probably been nicer to her. Meaning I'd have acknowledged that she actually existed at some point over the seven years we knew (didn't know) each other.

So what's the deal with Lacrosse over there? I get that you play American Football and Basketball as high school sports, because those are professional sports that people watch. But Lacrosse is just like a kid sport, right? We have a similar thing over here, a sport that you play as kids but there's no pro/ adult league. We call it Rounders, it's exactly like baseball. There's also Netball, but that's a Women's sport that's in the Olympics and has a World Championship and stuff.

Edited by AxB

Lacrosse, historically, is big in certain parts of the country, like upstate New York and the mid-Atlantic, partially due to its connections to Native Americans. It was also a prep school sport, although it has grown in recent years as an alternative in high schools to football and as a women's sport (prob for gender equality/Title IX reasons). 

There has long been a minor league professional indoor lacrosse circuit, popular in those same places (New York, Baltimore, ...)  but nothing national or as big as the major pro sports. 

(Also popular in Eastern Canada, for many of the same reasons.)

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Imagine inventing a sport and then being shunned by it. That’s the Haudenosaunee story

And right on cue here's an article published today about a First Nations lacrosse team. Goes into the history of the sport and what it represented for the Iroquois Confederacy and the racism experienced by First Nations teams when they play predominately white teams.

Not so much in Canada, but I know in the States most people's perception has been coloured by the Lax Bros: usually wealthy white kids who play the game at prep schools and University.

Yes. I thought nobody had noticed.

I figured out why Lacrosse was the sport they were playing though. The film is set right at the end of term when they're graduating and going to prom. So even though he was playing a high school Quarterback type of character, if he'd have been there in an American Football uniform there would have been something of the Al Bundys about him. Like he was revelling in the glory months after the season was over. And the guy didn't look like a Basketballer, and Baseball doesn't have those Superstar athlete connotations any more. Whereas him being a Lacrosse player does have the shorthand for Spoiled Popular Rich Kid.

It's more odd to me that the sport still exists, more than anything. You expect things to either become super popular (like the big 4 American sports) or to die out altogether.

The other thing, right, when I were a Lad, British Schools didn't have Proms. Nobody knew what they were. Completely American tradition. But now they do exist over here. Loads of British sixteen year olds pissed off that they didn't get to have theirs this year (amongst other, more tangible frustrations because the Government is fucking useless). At some point in the 90s or 2000s, lots of British schoolkids raised on American movies and TV complained that it wasn't fair that they didn't get to have a Prom (they did, it was just called the End of Term Disco (and you weren't expected to wear a fucking Three Piece fucking Suit to a fucking party! Ridiculous!)), and schools started having them. Which makes me question the intelligence of British children born in the 80s and 90s, because most American movies and TV shows that feature Proms make them look like either an overhyped disappointment, or a complete fucking nightmare. Seems like if the whole Victorian schooling system we're still using is mostly about establishing the boundaries of social class and lowering the expectations of the financially struggling, what better way to put an end to your school life than one final chance for the rich kids to show off all the fabulous things their parents can afford? Not only that, let's have an actual literal Popularity Contest at it, so the most popular cunts can go on stage and make a big speech about how great it is being better than everyone else. Fuck off with that shit. Crowned heads are for Guillotining.

• Like 1

You know, although we have prom, obviously, I know my school didn't have prom royalty. And I don't recall ever hearing about any of the other schools around here having it either.

Homecoming king and queen was the big deal, and we even had Snow Prince and Princess for the winter formal, but never prom King and Queen

8 hours ago, AxB said:

It's more odd to me that the sport still exists, more than anything. You expect things to either become super popular (like the big 4 American sports) or to die out altogether.

It's a pretty cool sport on its own, but it also works as an offseason sport to hockey. High school lacrosse mostly takes place in the spring (some places also do fall seasons), so a lot of hockey players will play it to keep in shape until the winter.

My high school didn't have a lacrosse team, but rugby was pretty much the same. Almost everyone who played on the football team in the 1st semester, played on the school rugby team in the second.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I’ve heard British pods where they compare proms to Leaver’s Balls in the UK. 

Big fan of upper class podcasts? Leaver's Balls are a posh school thing. The school I went to didn't have one, and still doesn't. It does have a Prom now though.

Edited by AxB

On 8/21/2020 at 5:45 PM, AxB said:

It does sort of feel kind of like... once you get past the two main stars being Julianne Moore and Chloe Grace Moretz, I don't recognise any of the actors in this movie. The way it's shot and directed, it's a bit... soapy. It's a bit TV movie, if you get what I mean. Like, it doesn't absolutely suck or anything, but I don't think anyone would ever see the 1976 version and the 2013 version and think the more recent one was the better of the two. Although weirdly Chloe Grace Moretz playing Carrie does remind me of the strange quiet excessively religious girl from my school in a way that Sissy Spacek never did. Even though neither of them look anything like she did. If she had looked like either of them, I'd have probably been nicer to her. Meaning I'd have acknowledged that she actually existed at some point over the seven years we knew (didn't know) each other.

I thought the 2013 reboot of Carrie was perfectly fine until the ending. 

Spoiler

The whole deal with Carrie finding her humanity at the last gasp was dumb and she only spares Sue from death because she somehow senses that Sue is pregnant.  I did like the touch of Carrie committing suicide by making it rain rocks onto her house.  Death by stoning for a "witch" was very appropriate.

Carrie's story works best when she is unrepentant to the bitter end.  The scene where Sissy Spacek is cradling her mother's body while she uses her powers to pull the house down around them is the fucking best.

The CARRIE WHITE BURNS IN HELL scene will never not freak me out.

You know we have a Horror thread for such discussions, right? Or did you feel that the lurkers of the Horror thread could not adequately address your question about lacrosse?  I can understand that.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I just want to say Bill and Ted actually getting favorable reviews warms my heart.

It's not bad. A bit too on the nose at points, but fun and funny. And warm, comforting nostalgia, of course.