DVDVR Message Board

2020 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I got to see Vanessa Redgrave's Tony winning performance in A Long Day's Journey into Night back in 2003, with Brian Dennehy (who also won a Tony), Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Robert Sean Leonard (both nominated) and it was the absolute peak of my acting/theatre nerd life.

Hey, it's still "Dump on Interstellar" Week here on the DVDVR Message Board!

That film had a lot of problems (the wonky science needs to be mentioned), but what bugged me the most was the "White people save the world!" aspect of the plot. I mean, looking back it's not like Nolan has gone out of his way to diversify his casts, but the casting always seemed at least plausible for the settings of his films. But Interstellar is about a major space expedition intended to save the entire planet. You'd think maybe some non-white people would want to contribute to that, other than the one token black guy?

The whole thing was just so Hollywood, and not in a good way. I was shocked when I got to the end credits and saw Nolan's name as the director.

• Like 2

Watched Greyhound last night. It's pretty good, not great. Lots of action, not a particularly deep plot nor exciting dialogue. Feels lilt they could've made it a little more tense. Also quite short at 90 minutes. 6 or 7/10.

Been watching a lot of Disney+ with the kids in the past week, and man if Zootopia isn’t the sleeper great animated Disney flick of the 10’s. Tight writing, excellent voice work and some fantastic little animation touches. Plus ‘Try Everything’ slaps.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 3

I watched Ford vs Ferrari again because I really, really love it and because my wife hadn't seen it. I still love it. A couple things I noticed this second time around though:

• This movie feels so much like Miracle, which probably explains why I like it so much
  • I also swear that in commercials it was rated R, but man, this is totally a PG movie through and through. There's no overtly awful language used, there's nothing awfully violent except for a couple car crashes that you could see in a bunch of other things, and I thought it felt like a really family friendly movie. 

If it weren't for the nearly 2 hour and 40 minute runtime, I would try watching it with my daughter. I may still, but just in installments because the racing and action in it is so good.

34 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I watched Ford vs Ferrari again because I really, really love it and because my wife hadn't seen it. I still love it. A couple things I noticed this second time around though:

• This movie feels so much like Miracle, which probably explains why I like it so much
  • I also swear that in commercials it was rated R, but man, this is totally a PG movie through and through. There's no overtly awful language used, there's nothing awfully violent except for a couple car crashes that you could see in a bunch of other things, and I thought it felt like a really family friendly movie. 

If it weren't for the nearly 2 hour and 40 minute runtime, I would try watching it with my daughter. I may still, but just in installments because the racing and action in it is so good.

PG-13.  2 f-bombs, lots of s-bombs.  Only a PG movie by 1970s standards ?

Edited by Tabe

Mortal is probably going to make my top ten for this year. Just left me wishing for more by the time it was over, like the entire movie was the first act and I couldn't wait for the story to get rolling. 

I hope the director gives us a sequel, I legit enjoyed the Trollhunter film from years back and always wanted another flick or two in that setting. Hunting cryptids/mythological creatures from other parts of the world, just for example 

On 8/2/2020 at 8:04 PM, For Great Justice said:

Been watching a lot of Disney+ with the kids in the past week, and man if Zootopia isn’t the sleeper great animated Disney flick of the 10’s. Tight writing, excellent voice work and some fantastic little animation touches. Plus ‘Try Everything’ slaps.

I enjoyed how the two sheep who were essentially making drugs were named Jesse and Woolter.  ?

Awesome movie.

I finally got around to watching...

Aquaman: I disagree with your assertion but cannot be arsed to respond appropriately.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: Great cast, great performances, but the message of the movie appears to be White Supremacists are People Too. Do we really need to see another movie where white people forgive other white people for being racist?

Train to Busan: Really good. Really, really good. And I've got Seoul Station recorded as well, which is a prequel to this or something. I had been getting mixed up between the two Korean train movies I'd recorded and not watched yet, but there wasn't any snow in this one so they'll probably be distinct for me now.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 7:49 PM, AxB said:

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: Great cast, great performances, but the message of the movie appears to be White Supremacists are People Too. Do we really need to see another movie where white people forgive other white people for being racist?

If you want to watch a movie where White Supremacists get what's coming to them, watch Green Room on Netflix.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 7:49 PM, AxB said:

Train to Busan: Really good. Really, really good. And I've got Seoul Station recorded as well, which is a prequel to this or something. I had been getting mixed up between the two Korean train movies I'd recorded and not watched yet, but there wasn't any snow in this one so they'll probably be distinct for me now.

If you liked Train To Busan, you will probably like Seoul Station.  It is the same bleak storytelling with the soul crushing finale.

• Like 1

Project Powers- Enjoyed it as a mindless shut your brain off and don't think too hard on the subject matter style movie. Ditto The Tax Collector, enjoyed it but I admit I liked End of Watch, Street Kings and Harsh Times as harmless popcorn flicks so ymmv. The fx in Powers are pretty great in some spots and damn silly in a handful but it didn't derail it enough to take away the fun

25 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Nighthawks has been doing the rounds on Showtime and I found this funny picture of Stallone from it

MV5BMTNiYmYwZjAtNGViZC00ZjY3LWI3NGItOTk3

? I wonder just how many movies he does that jaw detachment thing in...

That is all.

It's a nerve thing:

Complications suffered by Stallone's mother during labor forced her obstetricians to use two pairs of forceps during his birth; misuse of these forceps accidentally severed a nerve and caused paralysis in parts of Stallone's face.  As a result, the lower left side of his face is paralyzed (including parts of his lip, tongue, and chin), an accident which gave him his signature snarling look and slurred speech.

• Like 4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nighthawks_(1981_film)

There's a lot of interesting stuff on it here. With different editing it might've been even better. Check the Stallone story about the helicopter drop too -- he says he would have committed hari-kari here, but in an interview with Ebert I read he said he was gonna plunge the knife into his heart right before he reached the water! This was because the crew actually watched somebody jump off the bridge and die the day before they shot it.

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

It's a nerve thing:

Chevy Chase (of all people!) called Johnny Carson out on doing an impression of Stallone on The Tonight Show and Stallone wrote him a really nice note thanking him for sticking up for him and how he was a true gentleman (or something along those lines, I wanted to transcribe it but can't find the book!)

Norm McDonald also stuck up for Stallone on one of the talk show, said it was funny because you can't make of people for personal things, but everyone does an impression of Stallone even though he technically has a disability!

But I wouldn't feel too bad, @Curt McGirt it's one of those weird under-discussed things that you wouldn't know about without seeing/hearing the right thing!

• Like 1

Here's that Ebert interview. 

https://www.rogerebert.com/interviews/interview-with-sylvester-stallone-1980

"I take those chances for myself," he said. "I've never been so scared in my life, as when I was dangling from that helicopter. I have a fear of heights that borders on mania. I had to do something like this once in my life. So there I was, hanging 250 feet up over the East River, with the wind blowing me back and forth and the constant danger that if the steel cable hit something it could shear in two. The day before, see, a guy had jumped off the bridge we were working next to. We all saw it happen. He hit the water and exploded. His body broke into several pieces, and the current was so fast that this was the 59th St. Bridge and they pulled the remains out of the water seven minutes later at the 20th St. Pier.

"I saw that, and had to go up the next day. There was a fireboat down below with two divers in it. I made the mistake of calling them 'lifeguards.' It was explained to me that they were not lifeguards. They were there to retrieve my body, if necessary. If you see the movie and look closely, you'll see that I'm holding a knife in the scene. My theory was that if I fell, the cable would make me sink unless I could cut the harness loose. After I saw that guy hit the water like it was cement, I changed my plan. The knife was to plunge into my heart a second before I hit."

?

You know, I've got another question now: How in the living fuck did he shoot Cliffhanger?! 

Edited by Curt McGirt

18 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Chevy? CHEVY?! To CARSON?!?! 

Wow, that is some Twilight Zone shit.

Now this WAS in Chevy's biography (That he didn't write but the person who did clearly ADORED him) so maybe it didn't quite go down the way it was explained but...

• Haha 1