DVDVR Message Board

2020 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Real-world version of Independence Day would be "popular rapper punches alien, thus winning the lottery". But even that isn't boring.

I am totally lost on some of the ones you've come up with. Fowler's is clearly Halloween, but the rest? Is @(BP)'s Forrest Gump? 

EDIT: Control's has to be Seven Samurai

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Real-world version of Independence Day would be "popular rapper punches alien, thus winning the lottery". But even that isn't boring.

I am totally lost on some of the ones you've come up with. Fowler's is clearly Halloween, but the rest? Is @(BP)'s Forrest Gump? 

Barry Lyndon

Good. I was hoping it wasn't Forrest Gump... (I would also have never thought it was Barry Lyndon either. That may be the only Kubrick film I haven't seen)

EDIT: Ha, yeah right, there's about eight of his films I haven't seen

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Hey, anyway, controversial opinion time, I guess? I watched two movies on Sunday, because I was very bored and it was a dreary day outside.

Terminator: Dark Fate isn't that bad! I still like Salvation more than any of the other movies that came after T2, but this wasn't nearly as bad as Rise of the Machines, or Genisys or anything. I like that it kind of reset the timeline, or whatever. Like other franchises where the fans get super worked up about things (coughstarwarscough), I'm not deeply entrenched in the fandom so I'm not as bothered. But I definitely liked the movie. I mean, it was corny at times, but whatever.

Speaking of corny movies... the soft reboot of Charlie's Angels wasn't all that bad either. It also wasn't great. It was perfectly average. I honestly didn't see the twist near the end coming, so that's always nice. Naomi Scott and Kristen Stewart were pretty good in this, buuuut that's also where the praise for the cast ends unfortunately. It wasn't a horrible way to waste an hour and a half on a Sunday afternoon. I think, more than anything, I'm more disappointed with the abomination of a theme song we got considering the three artists involved are all pretty talented (YMMV on that, obviously, but I'm a fan of Ariana, Miley and Lana).

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was pretending Fowler's was Adventures in Babysitting. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Um... Eddie and the Cruisers?

Nope.

Spoiler

Retro Review: Todd Haynes' 'Velvet Goldmine' - ArtScene SA

This help?

Edited by AxB
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

5 hours ago, (BP) said:

Barry Lyndon

Forrest Gump sadly would be what I saw on Twitter recently: An ungrateful single mother comes back to hick after she contracts HIV and he strikes it rich.

• Like 1

Knives Out is aces.

With Covid and being laid off as a result I’ve gone to redbox so much in the last 4 months. From what I’ve seen of 2020, Bloodshot and The Hunt I recommend highly those are fun as fuck. If you like Judd Apatow I can’t say enough good things about The King of Staten Island. That movie will have you laughing and crying at the same time. 

57 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I'm not sure if Daniel Craig's extremely questionable accent made the movie better or worse, but I finally watched Knives Out and loved it.

Made it better. Hundred percent. It's not even questionable. It is straight up ludicrous.

Watched Uncut Gems last night and it was one of the longest two hour movies I've ever seen. 45 minutes in and I was like I don't know if I can't take more of this. The scene where Kevin Garnett shows up the second time and they're trying to buzz him in has to be the cinematic equivalent of a black belt locking you in a triangle choke. I was tapping like fucking crazy. Adam Sandler's character is so fucking terrible I was begging for someone, anyone to put him out of his misery. It's like the last 20 minutes of Requiem For a Dream but the whole movie is that.

Though I will say Adam Sandler tackling The Weekend made me cheer. I don't know why. I don't have anything against Mr. The Weekend.

Anyway, great movie. The more I see LaKeith Stanfield the more I want him to be in all the movies.

• Like 3

Just now, EVA said:

Have no fear.  I’m sure the powers that be are hard at work to get him locked into a superhero costume and a 10-picture deal.

Well that turned into some monkey's paw wish fulfillment shit real quick.