DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Jan 2020

MORELOCK

I will miss Cage in Impact. Guessing tonight was his write-off if he's done. Wasn't huge on him when he first came in but became a bigger fan throughout his Impact run. Thought he had really good past year despite missing time due to injury but everything he did stood out and his big matches were all memorable.

1 hour ago, alstein said:

Heard he tore a bicep tonight, out 6 months. 

The lighter AEW schedule might be a good thing for Cage in the long term. 

Lol holy shit. His wife tonight said he hasn't signed anywhere yet. Honestly, this dude is so blown up that I doubt he's ever going to be healthy for a long period of time now.

On last night's/this morning's radio show this is basically what Dave said

- "If Steve Bryant (who runs SoCal Uncensored) reported it. That's good enough for me. All of his reports are eventually true"

- No one has denied it to Dave and he says that Melissa Santos denying it is probably because AEW didn't want it to get out as they wanted to debut him as a big surprise.

- He made no mention of Cage being injured

We NEED OC and Kris as an on screen couple.

Also, I know BTE storylines don't matter, but more and more I get the feeling that Page won't turn heel. I think he does what a couple others and myself said and he forges his own path and goes it alone. Maybe he has a match with Kenny to prove himself, but I don't think he becomes a fully fledged heel.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Oyaji said:

He's perfect for them. Great look and size but can do the spotfests like only a few other big men around today. He's also a better promo than you'd think though he's lacking a bit of an aura. I hope he actually sells less in AEW than he did on the indies to give him a bit of a bite. A guy who looks like a super hero and can move like a super hero and lift like a super hero shouldn't be bumping unless necessary.

Having watched a bit of his Impact run, I've got some bad news for you. 

15 hours ago, AxB said:

As far as him taking bumps, you can't really be doing the Mr GMSI gimmick and then not let your opponents get their shit in too. Possibly JR or Tony might borrow Don Callis' "He's letting the opponents do moves to him, to show that he can survive them" concept.

I hope JR and Tony are smarter than that. Even by Callis standards that was dumb. 

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

What are Cage’s best bouts?  I’ve seen next to nothing of this Bwo-hemoth.

His big matches from the past year of Impact were my favorite of his

vs. Johnny Impact (Rebellion 4/28) (He got injured half way through, impressive performance)
vs. Michael Elgin (Slammiversary 7/7) (my personal favorite, this was awesome)
vs. Sami Callihan (BFG 10/20, and Steel Cage rematch 10/29)
His portion of the 11/19 Impact Gauntlet vs. Rich Swann and Tessa Blanchard is killer.
vs. Michael Elgin (Motown Showdown 12/8) (very good 20+ minute match)

As far as him being hurt, he seemed fine in the 8 man tag at Bash at the Brewery 3 nights ago, unless it happened at the end of that match or something, the same match where Swann was injured. The week before he wrestled Teddy Hart at Bar Wrestling so he had been active.

• Like 1

I loved his spotfests with El Phantasmo in ECCW. May be able to find those on Highspots Network. His work in Lucha Underground was pretty great too. Had some good tag matches in PWG. Oh and his match vs. Nakajima from NOAH.

Here's one of the Phantasmo matches:

Be warned: absolutely horrific editing and audio. Was awesome in person tho.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

Latest BTE had Jimmy Valiant mentoring Hangman Page in an awesome segment. I would love to see that be an actual thing. Face managers usually suck, but Valiant trying to inspire Hangman to turn things around (or go full heel!) would be wonderful. They also hinted strongly at both Nakazawa and Cutler joining the Dark Order. There is also a Statlander/Orange Cassidy interaction. 

• Like 1

Sammy Guevara vs. Jon Moxley announced and a great DDP promo without the shameless plugging.

edit: They gotta find a way to put these kind of killer promo packages on the air. Nobody sees them on YouTube. Shave a minute off a match here and another there to get them in. Sometimes it feels like the show is bursting at the seams but while these videos apparently don't do killer ratings they could certainly make people feel more special.

Also if there isn't a beach set I will be livid. I may have to write a letter even.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

I'm late to the game on this but I think going to markets like Salt Lake and Denver is a smart choice. Go where the WWE doesn't go and fans are starved for live wrestling. I'd to see them continue this tour and go to Reno. The Reno Events Center holds 7,000 that would be easy to sell out. They haven't announced a location for the MArch 18th edition of Dynamite yet. They could go from Salt Lake to Reno. The next week on the 25th they are back east in Newark.

If i could fantasy book arena's for a moment, the next week April 1st while the WWE is busy in Tampa i'd love if they ran New York specifically The Hammerstein Ballroom. It's for personal reasons, the Hammerstein Ballroom is my favorite wrestling venue. It looks perfect, its like the best atmosphere for a wrestling show, I don't know why but it just looks like what a wrestling show should look like. Plus between ECW (and WWECW) and ROH there's a very rich wrestling history there. The Young Bucks have wrestled there a ton, fuck a lot of roster has wrestled there with ROH. I've heard rumors of WWE may or may not blocking them running in New York specifically MSG so run Hammerstein, Yeah it only seats 2500 but I don't thin k that matters I think the small intimate setting is what makes it so special, the crowds always electric. Also running a smaller venue first Tony Khan is a big ECW fan and talks about doing annual shows from the same venue well here's one of those events Hammerstein the Wednesday before Mania make your own special thing going on during Mania kind of like when Crockett would run The Clash directly against Mania. Build a few weeks towards the main make it feel special. There's 54 episodes a year, going to unique venues every so often will make the show feel and stay fresh.