DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Jan 2020

MORELOCK

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Something, something, Cody talking with Marty/roh, said to have went well, yadda yadda.  Any thoughts on a roh/aew working relationship?  

I'd love it, but I don't know how CMLL and AAA will effect things. I guess you could simply not have CMLL and AAA talent not cross paths. I would love to see the Lucha Bros. vs. Rush & Dragon Lee. The big one for me would be Marty showing up as the Exalted One as planned. Another match I'd like to see would be the Briscoes vs. Santana & Ortiz. A working relationship could offer so many fresh matches. Working with ROH would also give the opportunity for some of the greener members of AEW's roster a chance to work somewhere else to gain valuable experience.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

I don't get how Cody would be booking ROH though. If they said there would be a talent swap then fine, but Cody handling some creative for what is technically a rival company is weird.

I thought the story was that this thing with Marty wasn’t the first time ROH offered someone the booking job to get them to stay, and that it happened two years ago when Cody (and the Bucks) left to form AEW. Part of the offer for Cody to stay was he’d be the head booker.

I haven’t seen anything about this Cody and Marty talking story, so I’m curious. The only thing ROH/Cody related was what I just mentioned, unless I’m interpreting the Fightful story wrong.

50 minutes ago, Casey said:

I thought the story was that this thing with Marty wasn’t the first time ROH offered someone the booking job to get them to stay, and that it happened two years ago when Cody (and the Bucks) left to form AEW. Part of the offer for Cody to stay was he’d be the head booker.

I haven’t seen anything about this Cody and Marty talking story, so I’m curious. The only thing ROH/Cody related was what I just mentioned, unless I’m interpreting the Fightful story wrong.

This is from 411's recap of Fightful's piece:

Interestingly enough, Fightful also reports that ROH made “generous” offers to current AEW star and EVP Cody Rhodes in order to “at the very least” retain his services. This reportedly includes negotiations involving broaching Cody Rhodes with the idea of booking in ROH. It goes on to state that both sides left the negotiations with a “positive interaction.” It’s not clear how Cody’s involvement with ROH would work considering his executive and on-air talent role with AEW.

Maybe they got it wrong, I don't know and I didn't have time to check out the Fightful video myself. 

14 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Yeah Priscilla has a lot of fans what can I say?!?   Anyways. Do not be surprised to see everyones favorite dentist on guest commentary tonight with JR as her next heat target.  

On the bright side, I did see she is taking indy bookings again and is working the Warriors show with Tessa in Chicago.    Still think her finisher should be called the Cavity check  though. 

Was pretty close on this one.  JR was her next target. This week wasn't nearly as cringeworthy as last week.  Guessing Excalibur is next? Maybe Justin Roberts?  

On the Brightside, I am glad to see Jack Evans back on tv. and Daniel with the Kobe jersey is a nice touch. 

Spoilers about future signings, according to Meltzer. Good news for people who love hosses.

Spoiler
  • Brodie Lee is expected to debut on 3/18 at the Rochester, NY show
  • Lance Archer isn't a done deal (yet) but it's supposedly far enough along in the negotiation process that angles have already been discussed for him. But, y'know... they did the same thing with Marty, and look what happened.
  • No news on the Brian Cage front, but an update about his injury was in the AEW section of the newsletter so YMMV.

• Like 3

I think both of those should do pretty well and was wondering when AEW would hit each of those cities. Turns out it's back to back.

Although, that takes them into April still without any west coast trips. I wonder if the PPV following Revolution will be somewhere in California and they'll do a west coast run for a couple months and then heading back to the midwest, southern states, and east coast in the fall.

Edited by Craig H

13 minutes ago, Casey said:

The PPV following Revolution will be Double or Nothing, which I believe they want to be in Vegas every year, right?

Yeah, they want the PPVs to have locations they can go to every year.  I wonder if they can get the bigger arena they were initially going for last year.  But I would think after Revolution we'll hear more about DoN and the west coast trips.  The way it's looking they'll do that for a bit before making their way back to the east coast.

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Yeah, they want the PPVs to have locations they can go to every year.  I wonder if they can get the bigger arena they were initially going for last year.  But I would think after Revolution we'll hear more about DoN and the west coast trips.  The way it's looking they'll do that for a bit before making their way back to the east coast.

It’s gonna come down to the same scenario, the nhl playoffs will still be going on during Memorial Day weekend. But this year the golden knights are looking a lot worse than last year, and I bet aew will have more pull this year due to last years success (as far as being able to change venues with less notice). Hopefully they can do t-mobile arena. 

The reports awhile ago were they placed a hold on Toyota center in SoCal for a date in May. That’s when I’m expecting a California run. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, matt925 said:

It’s gonna come down to the same scenario, the nhl playoffs will still be going on during Memorial Day weekend. But this year the golden knights are looking a lot worse than last year, and I bet aew will have more pull this year due to last years success (as far as being able to change venues with less notice). Hopefully they can do t-mobile arena. 

The reports awhile ago were they placed a hold on Toyota center in SoCal for a date in May. That’s when I’m expecting a California run. 

That makes sense.  I saw some of the Golden Knights play recently and they didn't set the world on fire.  So if AEW wanted to secure that for DoN then I would think they'd have a much easier time booking it and selling it out.

6 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Even though the place is ancient - I really want them to run the Cow Palace.

Shit, I watched Superbrawl VIII last night. They can run the Cow Palace, but as long as they figure out a way to bring back that entrance set from that show, I will be satisfied. This is why I get upset everytime Meltzer fawns over Bellator re-using WWF's plain, generic ass video wall and graphics from the mid 90s.  Like dude...I know WCW got really bad at the end and MMA isn't always about presentation but we got to have higher standards than that.

• Like 2

I’m good with cow palace but I really think the best arena for them in the Bay Area is Haas Pavillion at UC Berkeley. It will look great on tv and seats 11.5 for basketball, so like 8 for wrestling which I think is perfect for the first trip to the Bay Area. 

With all the small markets they’re doing, I can definitely see three California shows. You got San Diego, Bakersfield, Sacramento. The only arenas in Sacramento are the nba arena and sac state, which is basically a high school gym. But half hour south at UC Davis is their remodeled arena. It looks great, it only seats 6k for basketball, but the reality is if they already run the Bay Area they probably aren’t drawing more than 4K the next week outside the Bay Area. I think two straight weeks at Berkeley and Davis would be two very successful stops on the tour (of course this is all wishful thinking on my part). 

Im very excited for whatever gets announced. 

• Like 1

I think the last thing I saw from the Cow Palace was the G1 show a couple years ago and I thought that looked fine. I think AEW could make it look even better, but I thought that place was super rundown.

33 minutes ago, matt925 said:

I’m good with cow palace but I really think the best arena for them in the Bay Area is Haas Pavillion at UC Berkeley. It will look great on tv and seats 11.5 for basketball, so like 8 for wrestling which I think is perfect for the first trip to the Bay Area. 

With all the small markets they’re doing, I can definitely see three California shows. You got San Diego, Bakersfield, Sacramento. The only arenas in Sacramento are the nba arena and sac state, which is basically a high school gym. But half hour south at UC Davis is their remodeled arena. It looks great, it only seats 6k for basketball, but the reality is if they already run the Bay Area they probably aren’t drawing more than 4K the next week outside the Bay Area. I think two straight weeks at Berkeley and Davis would be two very successful stops on the tour (of course this is all wishful thinking on my part). 

Im very excited for whatever gets announced.

The Pavilion at UCD is a fucking fantastic idea. Really nice venue and probably right in the wheelhouse size-wise for what they should be running for their first trip out here.

Memorial Auditorium would be a nice shot as well, it's where NXT has run when they were here in the last 3 or 4 years. I think it has something like 3900 seats, but I'm not sure if that's the count for performing arts setups with a stage and seats, or when all the space on the floor is open for concerts or whatnot. There is also balcony seating, and it would look pretty cool and old-timey on TV, I bet. It was the area's long-time boxing venue until that scene moved into hotel ballrooms and the such. I saw Slayer there in 2007.

Depending on when they were here, they could run at the Sacramento Republic FC outdoor venue at Cal Expo. I've never been, and I don't watch soccer, so I don't know how well it comes off acoustically on TV. It holds like 11,500 for soccer. I have no idea what the USL schedule is like, so maybe it would conflict with a soccer game. It too, is a venue that I saw Slayer in, this time in 2018 

But you aren't too far off the mark that the Sacramento area has very limited options as far as the right sized venues are concerned. It's kind of Golden 1 or nothing.

• Like 2