DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Jan 2020

MORELOCK

That's a valid point @Wyld Samurai and if he was making comparisons with Jeff Hardy or Steve Austin I'd be less down on it. My issue(and it is minor, I'm loving AEW for the most part) is the way it's done without naming them as though it's some clandestine information he's sharing with "those in the know". Just takes me out of the action momentarily. 

So according to Meltzer, Scurll was indeed the first choice to be the leader of the Dark Order, and there was a plan in place to reveal him at the end of the Corpus Christi episode (y'know, the one with the phantom punches). But then ROH made him an offer he couldn't refuse, and we all know what happened there. He goes on to say that Tony Khan has taken more control of the booking since that episode and all of the negative feedback, and he's largely responsible for the long-term seeds being planted in various stories. He notes that it's from the top (Khan) down to the EVPs, though. He's just taken ahold of the reigns a little bit more, I guess.

Also, apparently Scurll - on behalf of ROH - has already reached out to AEW about a working partnership.

• Like 4

On 1/15/2020 at 12:57 AM, gordi said:

I think the amateur-hour vibe of BTE is kind of the point. It's *supposed to* feel like something a fan might make while goofing around with some friends, a video camera, and some low-budget editing software.

I think this goes without saying.  You’d be hard pressed to find somebody on a niche wrestling forum on an aew specific thread  that doesn’t know what bte is.  That said, I should have been more specific, I have no issue with the aesthetic choice, but rather the content.  Aiming at a younger audience should not mean ‘making stupid’.  The price of editing software at this point shouldn’t mean less judicious decision making.  Not looking for special effects or even better titles.  Theme video is even quite alright.

On 1/15/2020 at 1:14 PM, Craig H said:

Another TV show concerns me. Bischoff has offered pretty sound business advice for AEW so far and it sounds like he's really liked what he's seen, but he said the worst thing AEW could do would be to expand to two nights of TV a week.

I think one night of TV is perfect enough. It's been part of the appeal for AEW. And that's even more shit for them to produce and they sound like they're spread thin as it is.

Bischoff saw first hand how out of control and difficult an extra show would mean, and they already had way too much content.  Dark not unlike bte has needed to be tightened up and maybe this move will constitute those necessary changes.  Whomever suggested 3 hours surely didn’t mean badly, but I could see no worse idea than that.  3 hour shows are nearly impossible to produce and/or watch.  Ppv once a month or better yet every three months - sure.

On 1/16/2020 at 5:54 AM, Custos said:

The boys done good, this has to surpass almost everyone's expectations and the concern trolling (elsewhere, not you lovely people) may be a bit more subdued, thank God.

It also hopefully means they'll be less inclined to look over their shoulder in paranoia and counter-program every minute of NXT, but rather will let their creative vision play out at their own pace.   

Surely UK and Oz tours in the works now they have some stability? And where's that AKI inspired video game??? Sort it out, Omega.

Ha, there’s no stopping the wet blanket brigade.  Forum board equals place to bitch for some.  But well said there.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

The other thing Meltzer noted - but it was more of a throw away comment when discussing the ROH signings

Apparently AEW isn't make a lot of big money offers right now because they feel like they already have a full roster and getting everyone on TV is already a challenge

However - he did note that it could also be that they are saving to make the offers to all the WWE guys that are expected to come in when their contracts are up (Matt Hardy, Luke Harper, Revival)

Of course - those signings (Scurll, Bandido, etc...) occurred before the new TV deal so this all could be moot now

Another thing he said: the negotiations all happened quickly after the first of the year.

Which I'm interpreting to mean that the huge 1/1 rating has a lot to do with it, and that means running a taped NXT awards show was an even bigger mistake.

They've spent a fortune on talent if the $100 grand a year minimum number Cody was throwing around is true.  There's no way to make that money back on some of these guys especially if they aren't even entertaining the idea of running house shows.

Why did they still do the Dark Order thing if they didn't have the guy they wanted cause it wasn't like it was something that was advertised much less teased?

Not like Scurll was gonna be the savior.  Open up wide and swallow up this flavor.

News is back with another verse/I promised TSN I wouldn't fucking curse/Oops, I'm a liar.  A goddamn heel/I gotta keep it salty to keep it fucking real/Now put your hands in the air and wave 'em like you do care/If you don't you gon' face my icy evil glare/Now wave 'em to the left and then to the right/Wave them fucking hands back and forth all fucking night/Now here goes Uno and there goes Stu/If you join Order, Uno might sit on you/I got a Beaver Boy One and a Beaver Boy Two/These two boys smash more beaver than any of you/I brought my whole squad to help expose all the frauds/You nerds treat Elite like they some kind of gods/We hit the scene hard, left no room for survival/Blew the walls off the dump like a Shockmaster arrival/Nick and Matt suck.  Cody does too/Kenny's on his knees cleaning up the goo/Page aight.  He don't mess with us/If he ever do, I'll Chartbust his cowboy guts/Order gon' spit mo nasty than Tessa on gas/Order gon' get mo nasty than Brian Knobbs' ass/Order running this shit.  Deal with it mark/The Order is here and it's gonna get dark.

Yo baby, yo baby, yo.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BEN! said:

They've spent a fortune on talent if the $100 grand a year minimum number Cody was throwing around is true.  There's no way to make that money back on some of these guys especially if they aren't even entertaining the idea of running house shows.

Why did they still do the Dark Order thing if they didn't have the guy they wanted cause it wasn't like it was something that was advertised much less teased?

Not like Scurll was gonna be the savior.  Open up wide and swallow up this flavor.

News is back with another verse/I promised TSN I wouldn't fucking curse/Oops, I'm a liar.  A goddamn heel/I gotta keep it salty to keep it fucking real/Now put your hands in the air and wave 'em like you do care/If you don't you gon' face my icy evil glare/Now wave 'em to the left and then to the right/Wave them fucking hands back and forth all fucking night/Now here goes Uno and there goes Stu/If you join Order, Uno might sit on you/I got a Beaver Boy One and a Beaver Boy Two/These two boys smash more beaver than any of you/I brought my whole squad to help expose all the frauds/You nerds treat Elite like they some kind of gods/We hit the scene hard, left no room for survival/Blew the walls off the dump like a Shockmaster arrival/Nick and Matt suck.  Cody does too/Kenny's on his knees cleaning up the goo/Page aight.  He don't mess with us/If he ever do, I'll Chartbust his cowboy guts/Order gon' spit mo nasty than Tessa on gas/Order gon' get mo nasty than Brian Knobbs' ass/Order running this shit.  Deal with it mark/The Order is here and it's gonna get dark.

Yo baby, yo baby, yo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Another thing he said: the negotiations all happened quickly after the first of the year.

Which I'm interpreting to mean that the huge 1/1 rating has a lot to do with it, and that means running a taped NXT awards show was an even bigger mistake.

I almost think the lack of a 1/1 show wouldn't even matter. I think Alvarez and others are right that people have figured out that Becky, Seth, and others aren't going to be on NXT so all of those extra people tuned out. AEW was going to bounce back no matter what and the 200k or so crossover viewers have less reason to watch NXT.

So next week's Dynamite show is taking place on the Jericho Cruise, yeah? Some people have said it's going to be a pre-tape rather than live, that spoilers will come out beforehand, so does anyone know when the shoot actually is?

Interesting stuff from Mick Foley on AEW. I agree with some of it, but I think they've done an excellent job of building to PPVs, avoiding giving away too much on TV (relying on tags and top guys vs up and coming wrestlers), but it's definitely worth a read and I think good discussion can come from this constructive criticism. I'd definitely disagree that Cody/Jericho was done too quickly. Maybe Jericho fucks him over in the first match to build to the stip match where Cody can't challenge if he loses but then you're repeating finishes on PPVs in that there are two back to back fuck finishes (loosely, I suppose). But yeah, if there were such a thing as a match style slider, I'd like them to move a little bit away from the PWG indie spotfest style just a bit more towards the NJPW happy medium of storytelling and spots (not that NJPW is perfect either but in my opinion they are the closest of the three main promotions), and I think there are already a handful of guys that are doing it really well in AEW. Cody, Darby, Pac, Moxley, and Omega all try to incorporate story into their matches consistently. But stuff like the Penta/Fenix vs. Young Bucks feud where it was almost all move, move, move is fun to watch for a while but I hardly ever get emotionally invested. Bucks were better in that regard against Santana & Ortiz but still not at their best (the last year or two of their NJPW run). For me, you listen to the crowd and you want sustained heat that builds throughout the match to the climax. It's happened a few times, but usually, even with a hot crowd, if there aren't highspots there isn't a lot of crowd involvement. Take that super fun 4 way tag opener from this past Dynamite. The crowd was molten hot but if there was a stretch of maybe 30 seconds without a highspot, the crowd went quiet. But when they chained spots together it was euphoria. I think wrestling is at its best when the wrestlers are what people care most about and not so much the moves, but moves can help the audience buy into wrestlers. Right now AEW is generally speaking a bit too move reliant for pops and could use a bit more storytelling.

edit: how the fuck did I forget Jericho in that list of psychology strong wrestlers?! It's almost like it was so obvious that I didn't bother but yeah. I don't know if I've ever enjoyed Jericho in-ring as much as I have this current run even if he's not able to do stuff he used to do. I think it's helped him focus more on his strongest asset, his character work.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, AxB said:

So next week's Dynamite show is taking place on the Jericho Cruise, yeah? Some people have said it's going to be a pre-tape rather than live, that spoilers will come out beforehand, so does anyone know when the shoot actually is?

There’s roughly three hours of wrestling per night, sometimes all in one block, sometimes in two. On Wednesday, there is wrestling from 5:30-6:30, and from 8:15-10:00. So whatever ends up on dynamite will be taped on Monday and or Tuesday, and there will certainly be spoilers right away. 

https://www.chrisjerichocruise.com/schedule/view/2020/01/22/

Speaking of the cruise, it looks like there might be a brief respite from the Nightmare Collective. Brandi's passport was stolen (I'm currently taking odds on if it was someone here), and she was already set to speak at the NATPE (National Association of Television Programming Executives) convention w/ a bunch of TV bigwigs this upcoming week anyway.

• Haha 1

AEW announced Rochester, NY for March 18th which is only a stones throw from where I live. Debating whether VIP is worth the $300 or just snagging best available seating at $190.

I would like to get in on that front row of action, but don't really care about getting a pic with the belt.

Anyone here gone VIP to Dynamite or a PPV? If so what did you think of it.

Night 1 of Jericho Cruise matches without results (they start taping tomorrow from what I know, but just in case I will spoil tag it):

Spoiler

I'd say Mox/Guevara sounds like fun had we not just seen it (and it went too long). Omega/SCU would be fine but I feel like they'll lean into the goofiness.

In more interesting news, Britt Baker is wrestling Priscilla Kelly tomorrow I believe and that will be on the taping. I would think that would mean Kelly is signed. Would make sense. She's green, like most of their women, but has upside and a great look, plus she'd be on the road with her husband.

Whenever I read "QT Marshall" now I cannot for the life of me not say it the way Meltzer does. He says it like it's a stripper name or something: "Mar-shaaaahll." What a goober. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Night 1 of Jericho Cruise matches without results (they start taping tomorrow from what I know, but just in case I will spoil tag it):

Reveal hidden contents

I'd say Mox/Guevara sounds like fun had we not just seen it (and it went too long). Omega/SCU would be fine but I feel like they'll lean into the goofiness.

In more interesting news, Britt Baker is wrestling Priscilla Kelly tomorrow I believe and that will be on the taping. I would think that would mean Kelly is signed. Would make sense. She's green, like most of their women, but has upside and a great look, plus she'd be on the road with her husband.

Whenever I read "QT Marshall" now I cannot for the life of me not say it the way Meltzer does. He says it like it's a stripper name or something: "Mar-shaaaahll." What a goober. 

Actually I think it's pronounced that way. Mar-SHALL. Although I don't know if Meltz makes it worse or not.