DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Jan 2020

MORELOCK

9 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Eeewwwwww, that would be awful and I'm not nearly as down on Havoc as most. It seems like almost any name offered sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm not down on Havoc either. It's a tough spot. I'm sure most people were expecting Marty, but now that it won't be, people will be disappointed in whomever it is.

Watching BTE is a mistake I've made too many times now. It may have meant something while they were ripping it up in Japan without US TV, but this show now seems obsolete at best and absolutely terrible at worst.  I respect that they don't push this garbage on Wednesdays, but considering they're pushing storylines on these segments maybe they should tighten it up and make it more watchable.  I don't watch WWE, but these bits seem on par with whatever it is they do.      

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Jimmy Havoc as The Exalted One would be a failure of the analytics department cause his WAR can't be any better than Uno's.  Not better on the mic, not better in the ring, somehow even dumber looking.

I got an idea though.  DJ Ran, get all up in their area and drop that beat!

https://youtu.be/gCXdhWWQTyU

Go on marks, let me hear all those boos/The Rapmaster's back and that's not fake news/Like a blind chick at a bukkake party/You never saw this coming, I ain't no Marty/I'm leading Dark Order to kick The Elite's butts/You don't like that you can lick my salty nuts!

Yo baby, yo baby, yo!  I said yo baby, yo baby, yo!  Word to Dark Order.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I don't watch WWE, but these bits seem on par with whatever it is they do.      

Since you don't watch that show, I'll fill you in: WWE pumps out a lot of mediocre content, but this is unfair. BTE is and always has been full of unfunny, amateur-hour grab-ass. Give WWE credit: They do unfunny, very polished and professional yuk-yuk with some occasional thinly-veiled hazing thrown in as the secret sauce. Completely different things. 

Jimmy Havoc as the Exalted One would be trash. Jimmy Havoc under one of those creeper masks so I never have to see his face again? Now that's an idea.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

On Dark, I actually enjoyed a Shawn Spears match. I think it was just him doing comedy spots and heel stooging for the Gunns, he was far more entertaining than when he's doing his disgruntled serious veteran character. Austin Gunn is OK for being so green.

Darby vs Cutler was far more competitive than I expected it to be. Figured Allin would squash him pretty quickly, but it was back and forth all the way.

I think they might be building to Shanna and Nyla having a gimmick match blow off, maybe even at the PPV.

• Like 1

I think the amateur-hour vibe of BTE is kind of the point. It's *supposed to* feel like something a fan might make while goofing around with some friends, a video camera, and some low-budget editing software. Helps to keep Kenny and the Bucks relatable and likable even though they are good-looking jocks... that kind of thing.

Personally, I prefer Wrestlers on the Road Getting Room Service. It's quite a bit less goofy and gives some real insight into the characters, the people behind them, and their relationships and so on.

I don't think AEW are ever going to put everything that matters on TV. They are catering to a younger audience, one that is used to going on YouTube for entertainment and information. TV-generation grandpas like us can either keep up or be left out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Matt D said:

How was Dave Brown?

He was really good!  He seemed very familiar with what was going on and was just an absolute joy to listen to.  I lost it when they first show them and it had that 80s filter going on (in a really great way)  I personally wish they would have kept that throughout the show though.  I also really loved the tribute to Memphis wrestling.  They were great with talking about their times in Memphis and is well worth checking out.

As for the matches I was also surprised how competitive Darby/Cutler was but it worked out fine.  I know they're teasing Brandon joining Dark Order but I was hoping that they'd hype it up to the point that he eventually gets one huge win.  Shanna/Nyla was a fun brawl and a gimmick match would be aces.  The tag may have been fun for Spears's antics but I really don't care for Austin Gunn.  I feel Billy doing the gimmick is more than enough and wish Austin would at least do a variation on it so it wasn't just straight copying things.  That and with his inexperience he really didn't bring much to the table.  I'm hoping for a better showing next time but this wasn't a good first impression for me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gordi said:

I think the amateur-hour vibe of BTE is kind of the point. It's *supposed to* feel like something a fan might make while goofing around with some friends, a video camera, and some low-budget editing software. Helps to keep Kenny and the Bucks relatable and likable even though they are good-looking jocks... that kind of thing.

"It's supposed to suck" is a progressively worse excuse each time it gets rolled out for a wrestling show. Almost as bad as your part two excuse, "You just don't 'get it.'"

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2020 at 9:07 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Jimmy Havoc being absent every week leads to me believe he might be the Exatled One. 

Is it too late to bring in Savio Vega instead?

I'm not even that down on Havoc, but Havoc as the big reveal will probably be underwhelming.  Then again, "underwhelming" mostly sums up my feelings about  the Dark Order, so maybe Havoc is perfect for the role.

36 minutes ago, Casey said:

Dynamite has been extended into 2023, and AEW is going to have another TV show as well.

I wonder how much more money they will get after almost doubling expectations. Any word on when their second show starts? 

Edit: Davey Meltz saying they'll be getting $45 million a year which seems crazy low for a show that has been doing way above expectations and when you look at what WWE makes on their deals compared to their ratings. Still a nice chunk of cash that they can hopefully use for important things like a training centre and themed sets. 

Edited by Oyaji

9 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I wonder how much more money they will get after almost doubling expectations. Any word on when their second show starts? 

Yeah wonder what the increase is. The whole deal for success was them hopefully getting a better paying deal after the first expired. 

Edit: 4 years 175M total. 

Edited by matt925

Just now, AxB said:

Most likely the second show is just AEW Dark moving from YouTube to telly, rather than a second live show a week.

Meltzer says no. Dark stays and the third show is another hour long one on a Turner channel. No word of when. So 4 hours of AEW a week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The previous Wrestling shows on Turner networks were Nitro and Thunder, so I'm guessing the partner show for Dynamite will be Lightning.

Or possibly BoySmith.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Meltzer says no. Dark stays and the third show is another hour long one on a Turner channel. No word of when. So 4 hours of AEW a week. 

It seems like meltzer misspoke a little bit when mentioning that because it doesn’t make sense. He said Wednesday tapings would expand with dark, which doesn’t make sense because they already tape dark on Wednesday. I bet he meant that dark would move over to the other show, so maybe one hour live on tv and then they tape dark on the new night. 

A few details from Meltzer:

• Deal for Dynamite is worth $175 million over four years, with an option for 2024 at "significantly increased price"
  • Deal will make company profitable in 2020
  • No word on which station or platform will carry second show
Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Thanks 1