DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Jan 2020

MORELOCK

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I hope that match is like a game of Super Smash Brothers (not the Dark Order) because 1) I love my crazy ass arcade wrestling and 2) It will give some of you motherfuckers conniptions, as grandma used to say.  ?

I'm now having visions of an AEW mod over a Smash Bros game and it's just wonderful.  I would love to play that.  But to go full Smash we need all kinds of wacky items and an equivalent of a Smash Ball which I'm totally on board for.

I think I just have Smash Bros on the brain so thankfully I get out of work in a few minutes to play it.

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm now having visions of an AEW mod over a Smash Bros game and it's just wonderful.  I would love to play that.  But to go full Smash we need all kinds of wacky items and an equivalent of a Smash Ball which I'm totally on board for.

I think I just have Smash Bros on the brain so thankfully I get out of work in a few minutes to play it.

That reminds me of that WWE All Stars game.  Not much replay value but cartoony as fuck and pretty fun for a bit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Should the Lucha Brothers and Dark Order be pissed? They're both ranked teams, while Page and Omega aren't.

The Lucha brothers are coming off a loss to Cody and Dustin on Wednesday and the Dark Order has been idle  for a month while I believe Hangman and Page have now won two matches as a tag team.

I’m sure there will be a rankings shake up on Wednesday morning that makes it make more sense.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

That reminds me of that WWE All Stars game.  Not much replay value but cartoony as fuck and pretty fun for a bit. 

I still love the crap out of that game though it's been a while. Might have to give that a go once I find it again.  And hey, for all the talk of an AEW game their take on All Stars would make a lot of sense. 

That tag match will be interesting just for the Omega-Page and Bucks interactions. Maybe they should have doubled down on that and made it those two teams against the Rhodes Boys.  Not sure what the other two teams add to the match other than Santana & Ortiz being the obvious foils and putting the heels in that outnumbered hole is generally seen as counter intuitive.

27 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

The best thing about WWE All-Stars was probably the awesome hype packages they did for the fantasy feuds that you could complete in the game. 

I guess what I'm saying is that AEW needs to step up its hype game. 

• Like 2

On 1/7/2020 at 10:34 AM, Oyaji said:

Not two years ago, Page was almost universally disliked in ROH, especially when he was still in stupid trucker hat mode. 

I remember when Adam Cole had that huge lump on the side of his forehead and someone on here asked "What's that horrible lump at the side of Adam Cole's head?" and someone on here responded "Adam Page".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Isn't Luke Harper one of WWE's trademarked names? It's so normal-sounding that I can't remember. 

It is. Back in December, he filed for trademark of his previous ring name, Brodie Lee.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

On 1/10/2020 at 10:38 AM, Craig H said:

It's possible they don't even turn Page heel. They could do something different with him where he stands up for himself and says he's his own man and doesn't need anyone's help, the fans didn't get behind him because he's a nice guy or a good partner, they got behind him because he does cowboy shit and then discus lariat.

Man, that Memphis crowd seemed red hot for the Hangman.  Funny how the seeds of a heel turn seems to have swerved the story they orginally set out to tell.  For what has happened I think you're on the money with the above.  This current Page feels trained in the art of the rattlesnake.

On 1/10/2020 at 1:07 PM, Technico Support said:

It's funny how titles have been hot potatoed for two decades now that it's gotten us to the point where a guy having the belt for longer than 4-5 months is in danger of feeling stale.  Not criticizing you directly, just the sad state of wrestling today.

So true, and one of the many positives of the early All Elite Wrestling 'brand'. 

That said, I'd really like to see SCU drop the gold straps to a team capable of selling a Main Event match.  Either that or try them in this postition as heels - which seems too simple, but would no doubt much better suit their talents.  Daniels in particular is such a good heel and such a pathetically weak babyface.  Tho I do like his jaunty stepping to the ring, twirling that mic, but then that could also be a heel movement.

On 1/10/2020 at 1:51 PM, tbarrie said:

Should the Lucha Brothers and Dark Order be pissed? They're both ranked teams, while Page and Omega aren't.

Sure they should be K5 pissed.  From what I'm seeing the rankings are fun for keeping the discussion going in convo, and on boards such as these.  The rankings are ultimately there to indicate where they may be going, or clues to where they're going.  Mgmt selecting some teams to compete in a contenders match seems quite alright.  

On 1/11/2020 at 8:38 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

I still don't like the records being shown,  they have got to beef them up.  Give the stars some tomato cans.   I see Page walking out and it says he's 6-7.   Great, so if I didn't know better he's the L.A. Chargers of AEW.  

More squash matches please! I am totally agreed with you on your point, and actually when they've run a squash (like Cody squashing a dude a few weeks back), it was so refreshing. 

I especially want to see the champs run through a couple of jobbers. You can have all the twenty-minute struggle matches between wrestlers as you like, but they have more impact when we've seen those wrestlers killing the opponents who are clearly beneath them and thus we know that these are two wrestlers on another level. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

That said, I'd really like to see SCU drop the gold straps to a team capable of selling a Main Event match.  Either that or try them in this postition as heels - which seems too simple, but would no doubt much better suit their talents.  Daniels in particular is such a good heel and such a pathetically weak babyface.  Tho I do like his jaunty stepping to the ring, twirling that mic, but then that could also be a heel movement.  

At the start of AEW I thought SCU were heels... and it wasnt until they got ambushed by The Lucha Brothers that kinda made them faces, primarily because of Scorpio Sky's shoes being mad over with the crowd 

• Like 1

He's perfect for them. Great look and size but can do the spotfests like only a few other big men around today. He's also a better promo than you'd think though he's lacking a bit of an aura. I hope he actually sells less in AEW than he did on the indies to give him a bit of a bite. A guy who looks like a super hero and can move like a super hero and lift like a super hero shouldn't be bumping unless necessary.

• Like 5

It was odd seeing him vs RVD on Impact this week. Because up until now, they'd done a good job of making him seem like a guy who is Lashley sized (and he feuded with Lashley at the start of his Impact run). But vs RVD, they were pretty much the exact same size, only with Cage having the incredible muscular definition in his physique, whilst RVD has the veteran bulk now.

As far as him taking bumps, you can't really be doing the Mr GMSI gimmick and then not let your opponents get their shit in too. Possibly JR or Tony might borrow Don Callis' "He's letting the opponents do moves to him, to show that he can survive them" concept.

Edited by AxB

20 minutes ago, AxB said:

It was odd seeing him vs RVD on Impact this week. Because up until now, they'd done a good job of making him seem like a guy who is Lashley sized (and he feuded with Lashley at the start of his Impact run). But vs RVD, they were pretty much the exact same size, only with Cage having the incredible muscular definition in his physique, whilst RVD has the veteran bulk now.

As far as him taking bumps, you can't really be doing the Mr GMSI gimmick and then not let your opponents get their shit in too. Possibly JR or Tony might borrow Don Callis' "He's letting the opponents do moves to him, to show that he can survive them" concept.

I don’t know the AEW roster is pretty small. I think in some instances it’d look ridiculous for him to be selling a lot.