DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Jan 2020

MORELOCK

True and that's because he's significantly better than Jungle Boy in the ring at this point. Don't get me wrong, I think Jungle Boy is going to be money and doesn't need to be super refined in order to do so. It makes sense for him to be getting this amount of exposure. Either way, they have a lot of bodies that aren't seeing tv on the regular. They don't need more warm bodies at this point and that's what Austin Gunn is from what I've seen. Unless they are legit going to do a father/son team, which I would not be against. Billy has a great presence if nothing else and that's something a lot of people on the roster are lacking. 

• Like 1

Some AEW stuff from Mike Johnson. Things I cut out was everyone backstage being supportive of BJ Whitmer's divorce, and how AEW was happy with the exposure Jericho got AEW from the Tokyo Dome shows (but the relationship is still pretty much cold as ice).

• Since we have gotten a lot of questions about who books what within All Elite Wrestling, AEW President Tony Khan has been the driving force behind the creative direction for many of the top AEW Dynamite storylines. The Jon Moxley-Inner Circle recruitment angle was a Khan idea (it was his father's car that Chris Jericho offered) with Jericho working side by side with Khan to help put together small details.  That angle felt very much like a WCW Nitro storyline and Khan spent a lot of time studying what made Nitro work while planning to launch AEW.
  • Chris Jericho is extremely engaged in every story and segment he is involved in (which obviously shows) and has been a big locker room leader in terms of pulling younger talents over to help guide and teach them and give them advice.
  • Khan has also been specifically working on building Jungle Boy and Scorpio Sky, among others, as long-term prospects.  Sky was handpicked from the start as a future player, to the point that Chris Jericho's throwaway line in his promo backstage at All Out after winning the AEW title as he passed SCU that Scorpio Sky would never get a title shot was meant to foreshadow everything that would come down the line with Sky getting a shot on Dynamite last year. 
  • The EVPs (Kenny Omega, Young Bucks, Cody) are given a lot of freedom for their matches and segments - as they are in a position of strong trust -  and there is a back and forth creative flow with Khan, but Khan is in the Vince McMahon role of having the final say
  • Khan is very hands on with all the Dynamite segments every week.  At last night's taping, Khan was intimately involved in laying out the Jericho-Moxley segment that closed Dynamite, the ongoing Kenny Omega & Adam Page storyline as well as their tag bout with Private Party, The Best Friends vs. Jurassic Express six man tag team bout and The Rhodes Brothers vs. The Lucha Brothers.  The Omega-Page storyline creative has been a Khan idea. 
  • Khan is not as involved in AEW Dark behind the scenes. 
  • The Memphis Legends segment will appear on AEW Dark this Tuesday, possibly in a video package.   Tony Khan was the one who pushed for the segment to be included on the taping as he was a huge fan of the old Memphis territory and was said to have been especially excited to have Lanny Poffo in attendance as he was a massive Randy Savage fan growing up.  We are told that Bill Dundee was planned for the segment at one point and depending on who you speak to, some claim he was booked and then canceled.    We are told it was also Khan's call to put Dave Brown live on Dynamite tonight, which was a pretty cool thing for old school Memphis fans and as noted earlier, was the first time Brown had ever called a nationally broadcast wrestling bout.
  • The belief among those we've spoken to is that Colt Cabana will be back once he completes commitments elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

41 minutes ago, Casey said:

Some AEW stuff from Mike Johnson. Things I cut out was everyone backstage being supportive of BJ Whitmer's divorce, and how AEW was happy with the exposure Jericho got AEW from the Tokyo Dome shows (but the relationship is still pretty much cold as ice).

My big takeaway from that:

Spoiler

st2-twok10.gif?type=vertical

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

It's possible they don't even turn Page heel. They could do something different with him where he stands up for himself and says he's his own man and doesn't need anyone's help, the fans didn't get behind him because he's a nice guy or a good partner, they got behind him because he does cowboy shit and then discus lariat.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see where the Page stuff goes.  They are going to be careful or they'll turn him heel and the crowd will embrace him over Kenny anyway. Crowds are never going to boo someone coming into the crowd to drink beers. Also if you look at the miscommunication spots in the Page-Kenny matches, Kenny is the one who keeps screwing up. Kenny can't hold Pentagon steady for the Buckshot Lariat, Kenny flipped Marq into that kick to Page, Kenny keeps running out of the ring to save Nakasawa backstage. Page is the only one who gets 'funny' stuff on his introduction graphic. None of that is really on Page. I feel like Page is on the verge of breaking out now after a miss fire at the beginning of the promotion.  Maybe he actually should go over Jericho for the strap if they don't strap Mox? 

31 minutes ago, Goodear said:

I feel like Page is on the verge of breaking out now after a miss fire at the beginning of the promotion.  Maybe he actually should go over Jericho for the strap if they don't strap Mox? 

That's a really good idea, if for no other reason than I think the next champion should be a more "homegrown" guy so the company doesn't look like it's being propped up by ex-WWE guys like TNA was.

• Like 1

At the same time, Mox has never been hotter than he is now. The time feels right for Jericho to lose the belt. I agree that putting the title on Page seems like a good idea, but I almost wish he had more time to do more angry cowboy shit and establish himself as a lone wolf. The timing just sucks though because if you don't have Jericho lose at Revolution, then I think it starts to make the title and Jericho look stale.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

At the same time, Mox has never been hotter than he is now. The time feels right for Jericho to lose the belt. I agree that putting the title on Page seems like a good idea, but I almost wish he had more time to do more angry cowboy shit and establish himself as a lone wolf. The timing just sucks though because if you don't have Jericho lose at Revolution, then I think it starts to make the title and Jericho look stale.

It's funny how titles have been hot potatoed for two decades now that it's gotten us to the point where a guy having the belt for longer than 4-5 months is in danger of feeling stale.  Not criticizing you directly, just the sad state of wrestling today.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I really don’t think Jericho is in danger of being stale, his segments are consistently the best and his segments have always won the ratings battle.

If he retains the title I think the only way it could get stale is if they followed up with something lame. But if Page continues to gain momentum like this I think a feud between him at Jericho leading into Double or Nothing could be really compelling.

• Like 1

The Kenny/ Hangman split can happen without either guy actually turning heel. They could shades of grey it, let them both have a point and feel that they've been wronged while the fans can see both sides and cheer who they want. I wouldn't bet against them winning the four way, and then losing the title shot due to a miscue... considering they were the two guys who Jericho beat to become Le Champion, failing to win the tag belts as well makes it logical to put them one on one vs each other at the PPV next month. Which is probably where they're going.

Didn't Jurasic Express just beat the Best Friends too? I know it was a six-man tag with the mascots, but still.

Which way do we think they go with this? Kenny and Page getting a shot before a turn or break-up feels like a possibility. Best Friends if they want a filler defense. P&P if you actually want to do a title change. Does anyone see them doing the Bucks vs SCU again?

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy