DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Jan 2020

MORELOCK

1 minute ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Is that comment based on his potential being low or what he’s done over the last year in wwe?

It's based on how he's looked any time he's been in the ring. The last time he was on TV he still looked slow and beaten up, which is how you'd expect someone like him to move. He looked better physically, but he just moved like how you'd expect and I doubt he does the Jericho thing where he changes up his style. 

Personally, if I had his family with a newborn and everything and was beaten to shit physically I probably would take a decent paying job at AEW to be a full time producer and agent while doing some part time stuff in the ring. I as the viewer though have no interest in seeing him anymore.

3 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Mat's knees haven't bent in ten years so his time as a wrestling attraction going 15-20 minutes is over. That being said, he can be wacky Mat Hardy and do all sorts of fun stuff in the undercard driving a lawnmower. I'd personally rather see him go 'home' to Impact where they embrace wacky bullshit in a good way rather than sign with AEW personally but that's just me.

TH2 is weird in that Jack Evans seems so on point as a scum bag flippy dude but Angelico is wrestling chloroform in that I can't remember him doing anything this entire run.

Angelico is one of the bigger misses in the company so far. I thought he looked a lot better in LU and he's just been stuck going nowhere with Jack Evans. Dude is young, has a good look, and can go in the ring and in this tag team he's just kind of a jobber.

On 1/7/2020 at 11:15 AM, Craig H said:

I thought the Cowboy Shit shirt was pretty good and something they should lean on even more until they started with this drunken Page stuff. I wouldn't buy that shirt, but I imagine there's a bunch of people out there into country music and wrestling that would be down with an ass kicking cowboy wrestling doing cowboy shit. Probably lots of women into that too.

I just moved back to redneck-as-fuck Harford County and let's just say that'd sell like hotcakes here for sure.  Shit, if I see that in a Hot Topic I may as well pick it up for New Years or something.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Angelico is one of the bigger misses in the company so far. I thought he looked a lot better in LU and he's just been stuck going nowhere with Jack Evans. Dude is young, has a good look, and can go in the ring and in this tag team he's just kind of a jobber.

Now I'm trying to remember if Angelico was ever good in LU or if it was just fun to watch him jump from high places.  I found myself thinking "he was good in gimmicky 6 man matches with Son of Havoc and Ivelisse where he could just do some crazy shit and then get out."  Then I found myself wondering who the worker of that group would have been.  M Dogg, I suppose.  But that whole train of thought brought me back to remembering that the show was taped and heavily edited and if they could make Sexy Star look good, then I absolutely can't evaluate anyone's talent based on their time in that promotion.  Yes, my mind is a strange, meandering place.  It got me wondering about who made the most out of being on LU.

• Pentagon: top of the list.  Breakout star, got over the most from the show and built a career off it.  His brother, Fenix, is just slightly below but almost a tie here.
  • Jeff Cobb: Always feels like he's missing something whenever I watch him.  His PWG title matches were always the anticlimactic part of all the shows he was on, like "after all that, THIS is the main event?"  Definitely broke out due to LU but feels overrated.  Most likely a real beneficiary of a cool gimmick and editing.  Is he still working NJPW?
  • Luchasaurus: got his whole gimmick in LU, now has cult status in AEW.  Pretty far drop off from Lucha Bros to Cobb to him, though.

Is that really about it?  I mean Ricochet would have been huge with or without LU.  I guess Rey Horus (Dragon Azteca) got something out of it, as he's a PWG regular but I don't think he's gotten a sniff from WWE or AEW, has he?  I don't even remember Sammy Guevara being in LU.  The rest of the guys like Morrison, Sami Callihan, Wagner, Strickland, Brian Cage, etc etc etc are probably in the same spot they'd be without LU.

Edited by Technico Support

Angelico is good.  It wasn't that he was stuck in 6 mans that hurt his LU run, it was that he got horrifically injured during the tapings, and I think he got hurt AGAIN when he came back from the injury IIRC.  He's trained by Negro Navarro, man.

Jack is great.  I don't care if these guys are teaming or feuding but they should get out of dark match hell and not be teaming with Sabian, who is the absolute lowest on my give a fuck meter, even lower than Shawn Spears (that's really low).

To see the two of them at their best watch their BOLA match against each other.  

This is one of the best parts, I've probably already posted it and shit but come on man where is my TV version of this?

• Like 5

Angelico does flashy stuff well and everything else not so well. His cocky heel strut is something new and better than the nothing he'd show before but man... I don't see it with him beyond the spectacular highlight spots.

On 1/7/2020 at 1:50 PM, Casey said:

What were his options, realistically? Either wasting away on a show nobody watches (ROH) or firmly in the midcard (New Japan). WWE threw a blank check at him to go to NXT supposedly, but does that mean anything? Was it because they saw money/value in him, or to block the competition and split them up? Why else would they offer the Bucks that extremely generous deal where they could opt out of their contract after six months if they weren't happy?

He's going to be one of the top heels when he inevitably turns on The Elite. They're slow burning a feud between him and Kenny Omega, one of their top guys. I'd say he's doing pretty well. As for the shirt - at worst, it's akin to shirts released by the WWF in the late 90s. Jericho had plenty of duds in his WWE career like this. The Rock had more dumb shirts than I can count or remember. Judging the future of his career in the short term based off a silly joke t-shirt is dumb.

I think in NJPW he would have been slotted as Tana's little buddy- they were leaning that way.

Also Page is what 23 now, still plenty of time.

19 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Angelico does flashy stuff well and everything else not so well. His cocky heel strut is something new and better than the nothing he'd show before but man... I don't see it with him beyond the spectacular highlight spots.

I mean, it's a little rough, but he needs to start doing shit like this more because he's more than capable.

• Like 1

Re: Kong, the only thing I can recall her doing that I saw on AEW TV so far is walking to the ring where she backhanded somebody on the ramp and that shit did not connect at all. I know she's injured but c'mon, you can at least hit somebody and make it look good. 

• Like 1

Sounds like 2020 Matchbox Hardy's not going to be the star powered comeback player I'd been kinda hoping he might be in AEW.  I still assume he'll get a run.  I loved that 2.0 character from 15 plus years ago, and have always longed for that arrogant side of Matt to shine again.  Perhaps he could be the Exalted One?  

44 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Evans/Angelico seemed to have some fandom coming in to AEW, but sounds like there's very few praising their talents anymore - and for obviously good reason.  I like Evans as a little asshole heel, but he seems to get his taunts in during very inapporpriate times - making his opponents sell longer than the weak ass move he's just delivered called for.  He also seems to be moving slower than I'm used to - I always feel like he looks injured.  Angelico I never remember either.  The pair of them seem soft in everything they do.  I say this and really want to be proven wrong.  I hate to say it but I feel the same about Chuck Taylor.  He's got a certain charisma, but so much of what he does looks incredibly weak.  AEW Spring Cleaning? 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Harry, I'd suggest you check out some of Hardy's "Broken" run from Impact to get a taste of what he's most likely interested in doing. Since his biggest hang-up with WWE is what his role is going forward, I expect he'll have a big say in his presentation wherever he lands. And this stuff speaks to what he was into last time he called his own shots. 

As for in-ring, Matt can hold up his end in the occasional Hardys tag match against the right opponents. But the time for high-end singles stuff seems well in the past. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alstein said:

I think in NJPW he would have been slotted as Tana's little buddy- they were leaning that way.

Also Page is what 23 now, still plenty of time.

Isn’t he like 27?

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

It got me wondering about who made the most out of being on LU.

• Pentagon: top of the list.  Breakout star, got over the most from the show and built a career off it.  His brother, Fenix, is just slightly below but almost a tie here.
  • Jeff Cobb: Always feels like he's missing something whenever I watch him.  His PWG title matches were always the anticlimactic part of all the shows he was on, like "after all that, THIS is the main event?"  Definitely broke out due to LU but feels overrated.  Most likely a real beneficiary of a cool gimmick and editing.  Is he still working NJPW?
  • Luchasaurus: got his whole gimmick in LU, now has cult status in AEW.  Pretty far drop off from Lucha Bros to Cobb to him, though.

Killshot, possibly. Shane Strickland was a name on the indies, but the timing of him signing with NXT seemed to coincide with the end of LU.

I'm a little surprised they haven't done more with Evans and Angelico in AEW, since those guys seem like natural fits, at least individually. I haven't seen their work in Mexico together, but I don't feel a lot of team chemistry from them. Jack seems more like a heel and Angelico seems more like a face in the ring.

• Like 1

At least Austin Gunn is a young guy who could have potential.   Plus I think a team of Billy and Austin could be entertaining. 

Unlike "Japanese deathmatch legend"  ? Dr Luther who was average 25 years ago in Japan and seems to have been booked because he was at Jericho's wedding. 

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Now I'm trying to remember if Angelico was ever good in LU or if it was just fun to watch him jump from high places.  I found myself thinking "he was good in gimmicky 6 man matches with Son of Havoc and Ivelisse where he could just do some crazy shit and then get out."  Then I found myself wondering who the worker of that group would have been.  M Dogg, I suppose.  But that whole train of thought brought me back to remembering that the show was taped and heavily edited and if they could make Sexy Star look good, then I absolutely can't evaluate anyone's talent based on their time in that promotion.  Yes, my mind is a strange, meandering place.  It got me wondering about who made the most out of being on LU.

Is that really about it?  I mean Ricochet would have been huge with or without LU. I guess Rey Horus (Dragon Azteca) got something out of it, as he's a PWG regular but I don't think he's gotten a sniff from WWE or AEW, has he?  I don't even remember Sammy Guevara being in LU.  The rest of the guys like Morrison, Sami Callihan, Wagner, Strickland, Brian Cage, etc etc etc are probably in the same spot they'd be without LU.

Is huge another way of saying signed by WWE? 

Cage would still be doing independent shows without LU. 

• Like 2

I've seen the word "cronyism" way too much on here lately. Look, who else are they going to sign other than the people they know? Pretty much everyone is locked down somewhere whether if it's ROH or Impact or WWE or NJPW or wherever. That pretty much leaves you with signing complete unknowns from the indy scene and when it comes to that I would imagine their mindset is to work with the devil you know. I'm fine with them signing an Austin Gunn or Private Party or Luther or Smash Brothers or whoever because they know what they're working with. 

Also, it's not even exactly cronyism. It would be if they signed these guys and they immediately took a position of power or one of near the top of the card, but instead they're signing people they know, which is pretty much all that's left out there since ROH and Impact got their shit together with locking wrestlers down.

I mean, it comes down to what you want to see them do. Do you want to see them go after every hawt free agent that becomes available or do you want to see them try and get the right people that can be developed and turned into something they can hang onto. It's like MLB teams drafting kids out of high school and early on in college and then having years of control on them. Do they all pan out? No, but if the majority do then you're really onto something and at a lower cost. Or it's a lot like this:

Fuck, I love Miracle. I may have to watch that tonight.

• Like 1

The history of the business is full of bookers loading up a crew with guys they know and have used in the past. The trick used to be knowing when to cycle them in and out to keep from getting stale. The dynamic isn’t totally applicable in modern times, but still logical. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Do you want to see them go after every hawt free agent that becomes available or do you want to see them try and get the right people that can be developed and turned into something they can hang onto. 

Is this an either-or question? Judging by the Dynamite thread, most people want every hot free agent. 

Yeah, the only reason I see to have a problem with Austin Gunn signing is if he's stinking up the joint and better people in the company aren't getting the same opportunity. 

Where is all this Matt Hardy information coming from?

Wiki puts Adam Page at age 28.

But what hot free agents are even out there? It's basically Marty. They can't sign Harper, who knows what's going on with Killer Kross (I assume he's just going to join his wife in WWE), and, uh, I think that's it.

What has Austin Gunn shown in ROH or in his one or two AEW appearances that lead us to believe he'll be better than the many people who rarely get a sniff of TV time as is? I don't think they need many more bodies, but they could upgrade on the likes of Havoc and Spears. Darby should be getting just as much tv time as Jungle Boy imo but he'll go weeks without an appearance or doing anything of note.