DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Jan 2020

MORELOCK

We never did backyard wrestling because, living in east Baltimore, if you had a backyard to speak of it was all cement anyway.  We did wrestle in people's houses though.  My finish was the Cobra Clutch/Million Dollar Dream.  It couldn't put anyone to sleep but the force of yanking a dude's arm and rubbing it across his own face while compressing the neck was often enough to get the W.

Between the Cowboy SH-horse-T shirt and this one, it's pretty clear that Hangman's merch is primarily aimed at that lucrative "Non-Wrestling fan who buys shirts from Hot Topic and likes drinking and/or Cowboys" demographic.

• Like 1

I thought the Cowboy Shit shirt was pretty good and something they should lean on even more until they started with this drunken Page stuff. I wouldn't buy that shirt, but I imagine there's a bunch of people out there into country music and wrestling that would be down with an ass kicking cowboy wrestling doing cowboy shit. Probably lots of women into that too.

And now I'm giggling to myself if they further change Page's character and he winds up going full emo/Age of the Fall and wears sloppy eyeliner and is ultra moody and brooding.

Edited by Craig H

What were his options, realistically? Either wasting away on a show nobody watches (ROH) or firmly in the midcard (New Japan). WWE threw a blank check at him to go to NXT supposedly, but does that mean anything? Was it because they saw money/value in him, or to block the competition and split them up? Why else would they offer the Bucks that extremely generous deal where they could opt out of their contract after six months if they weren't happy?

He's going to be one of the top heels when he inevitably turns on The Elite. They're slow burning a feud between him and Kenny Omega, one of their top guys. I'd say he's doing pretty well. As for the shirt - at worst, it's akin to shirts released by the WWF in the late 90s. Jericho had plenty of duds in his WWE career like this. The Rock had more dumb shirts than I can count or remember. Judging the future of his career in the short term based off a silly joke t-shirt is dumb.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Casey said:

What were his options, realistically? Either wasting away on a show nobody watches (ROH) or firmly in the midcard (New Japan). WWE threw a blank check at him to go to NXT supposedly, but does that mean anything? Was it because they saw money/value in him, or to block the competition and split them up? Why else would they offer the Bucks that extremely generous deal where they could opt out of their contract after six months if they weren't happy?

He's going to be one of the top heels when he inevitably turns on The Elite. They're slow burning a feud between him and Kenny Omega, one of their top guys. I'd say he's doing pretty well. As for the shirt - at worst, it's akin to shirts released by the WWF in the late 90s. Jericho had plenty of duds in his WWE career like this. The Rock had more dumb shirts than I can count or remember. Judging the future of his career in the short term based off a silly joke t-shirt is dumb.

Totally 2nd all of this. Page may not be the "star" right now, but they have clearly been grooming him for a while. Having him be in the first World Title match, feuding with and even beating PAC at Full Gear. The issue is there's a lot of big names in AEW right now and truthfully Page is the lowest on the totem pole in the Elite by default because he isn't as decorated as the others. Give him time and within a year or two (he'll still be 29/30/31 around that time) I'm sure he will be built up enough to really have a legitimate push to the top.

Personally I like the whole story they have going with him. At least it's some character development.

• Like 2

Dark is only 32 minutes this week. Two matches, and one of them is an Awesome Kong squash. The other is Hybrid2& Kip Sabian vs SCU, pretty good so far.

Kong looks BAD.  Like shouldn't be in the ring bad.  Her strikes look like she's pillow fighting, she barely left her feet and it looked like she hurt her back holding her opponent in the air for that backbreaker. They should get her out of the ring.  

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

Kong looks BAD.  Like shouldn't be in the ring bad.  Her strikes look like she's pillow fighting, she barely left her feet and it looked like she hurt her back holding her opponent in the air for that backbreaker. They should get her out of the ring.  

They absolutely should have someone else in that role.  I said it before, it's almost  late-career Andre level.  There's no way to get a decent in-ring payoff to this angle unless a face or new monster just kills her.  It make no sense at all. 

Andre was sadly who sprung to mind when writing that post. This angle needs an end point pretty badly or a transition to the other woman in the stable taking over the in ring work.  

When they did the story on GLOW with Tamme/Welfare Queen having a wrecked back I wondered if it was the writers taking something real and turning that into a storyline. I didn't see anything else about Kong having that bad of a back though, until now. She does look very slow and in pain. Looks like GLOW probably did base that on her real life struggles.

• Like 1

Is there much doubt that Matt Hardy will sign an AEW contract come March?  I haven’t seen Matt since wwe botched his first singles heel run or shortly there after.  Can he still go?  

Edit: I fast forwarded Dark. Interesting that they cut the Billy and Son Gunn match.  Is the h2/scu worth going back to?  I just couldn’t muster the interest.   I wanna like h2 but I don’t at all, and scu interest depends on their opponents.  I do hope Daniels can revitalize himself for one more years run. I really love the AEW ‘brand’, but Dark mostly kinda misses the mark.  Not that I expect greatness, but I always feel bored and like I just wasted an hour.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I don't really think he can go anymore. Honestly, he probably would work better as a producer or an agent in WWE, Impact, AEW, or even NWA, but he was already doing some of that in WWE and it's clear he wants to be an active wrestler instead. Matt is going to be that wrestler that thinks they always have something left in the tank.

• Like 1

Mat's knees haven't bent in ten years so his time as a wrestling attraction going 15-20 minutes is over. That being said, he can be wacky Mat Hardy and do all sorts of fun stuff in the undercard driving a lawnmower. I'd personally rather see him go 'home' to Impact where they embrace wacky bullshit in a good way rather than sign with AEW personally but that's just me.

TH2 is weird in that Jack Evans seems so on point as a scum bag flippy dude but Angelico is wrestling chloroform in that I can't remember him doing anything this entire run.

• Like 1