DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Jan 2020

MORELOCK

I want to clip out Orange Cassidy and the tackling dummy so bad so that whenever I feel sad I can just play that clip and be happy.

And then that segment was followed up with Jungle Boy making the interviewer, whose name I can't think of right now, break twice.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I thought the guy on the bottom was already hurt/injured and in serious pain and tapped out to not stay in the crab, not that the crab itself was worth tapping to.

Well, my post started off as a joke, but...

I am fairly certain being in the crab did not do his injury any favors.  

And yeah, It was also my assumption that he tapped because he knew was too hurt to escape or defend intelligently.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Well, my post started off as a joke, but...

I am fairly certain being in the crab did not do his injury any favors.  

And yeah, It was also my assumption that he tapped because he knew was too hurt to escape or defend intelligently.

Sorry for stepping on the bit ? See, it crossed my mind that's what you were doing, but then I had to ask because I couldn't remember for sure.

16 hours ago, Web Conn said:

They don't, they end up in New Japan and feud with FinJuice.

Wouldn't they be juniors in NJPW feuding with R3K?

I know i hurt a guy as a kid with a Texas Cloverleaf.  I thought it was the Scorpion but realized I did it wrong and was doing a Cloverleaf instead.

Edited by alstein

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The figure 4 always hurt, but I don't remember the boston crab or scorpion deathlock ever hurting. 

Your friends needed to tighten up.

The Gene Lebell encyclopedia of finishing holds shows how to really do it and if I still had the book I'd post scans but I shouldn't lend things to pro wrestlers

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The figure 4 always hurt, but I don't remember the boston crab or scorpion deathlock ever hurting. 

It depends on how you get your leverage.  

If your weight is centered low over the victim's back (like the dude in the MMA vid) and you use the victim's legs as leverage points, you are practically bending the spine against the grain and you could break someone's back

That's why in the kayfabe Boston Crab. the attacker's body is usually positioned over the victim's butt and the move is sold as a leglock of sorts.  You are also leaving room for the victim to roll escape after he sweats the crowd for a bit with the ref asking him if he quits.

Edited by J.T.

They’re turning those phantom punches from that creeper from the Dark Order into part of the storyline. People who signed up for the Dark Order’s website or whatever got a video, and at the end the Exalted One showed that clip and told Uno there is no room for weakness in their ranks and to fix it.

Good for them for turning something like that into part of the story. Instead of ignoring it, use it as a small detail in the story.

• Like 4

I remember seeing a video a few years ago of an amateur tourny I think and a dude legit broke his opponent's back  switching a double into a crab and starting the sitdown over the shoulders.  Almost got his ass beat off the mat by pretty much the entire gym.

33 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I remember the camel clutch hurting, but I was a fighter. I didn't submit; I fought my way out if that shit.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Casey said:

They’re turning those phantom punches from that creeper from the Dark Order into part of the storyline. People who signed up for the Dark Order’s website or whatever got a video, and at the end the Exalted One showed that clip and told Uno there is no room for weakness in their ranks and to fix it.

Good for them for turning something like that into part of the story. Instead of ignoring it, use it as a small detail in the story.

I got the video and I love how it's being turned into part of the storyline. 

• Like 1

Like a scale check's stopped a wrestling promotion from putting someone in a particular weight class before...

That said, Wiki has their weights at 223 each, and the Jr limit is 220, so... that's kayfabable.

Edited by Raziel

4 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

I swear its like some people never wrestled their friends as kids

THAT SHIT HURTS

I remember my little brothers friend Jordan put me in a Boston Crab when I was a kid. I still need a chiropractor and that was 30 years ago.

• Like 1

We did a video for our comic shop back in the 90s for the Eisners where one of the guys put the other in a figure four and then they "argued" about who did the better Silver Surfer: Kirby or Moebius. The victim had problems walking the rest of the day. 

Edited by odessasteps

6 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

The Texas cloverleaf was my favorite, because in addition to wrenching the small of the back, you could drive their shin into the back of their knee.

The cloverleaf the best of the three for basement/backyard wrestling purposes because once you got the legs hooked (with your forearm behind the heel, not on the flat of the boot like the actual wrestlers do to not hurt each other) no one was getting out. With a regular Boston Crab, you're starting with one leg against one arm so even smaller opponents could fight you to put it on, then larger opponents could still power out with superior leg and core strength after it was applied. The Scorpion was way too contrived to put on anyone who was actively resisting. But that cloverleaf... You lock those hands, and ain't nobody pushing you off. You could even do a giant swing type move to smaller opponents from that position.

Of course, none of those were as effective as a simple armbar or kimura, but even those paled in comparison to the king of shoot pro wrestling holds, the Tazmission. No shit, the easiest to put on someone big or small and everyone needs to breathe. Guaranteed tap every time.

• Like 2