DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Jan 2020

MORELOCK

• RIPPA pinned this topic

I like AEW, I prefer it to NXT actually, but they do leave me scratching my head at times with their booking decisions. Cody and crew have to know their fan base yet they make some pretty bone headed moves. Having said that, I do look forward to what 2020 brings not just for AEW but for wrestling in general. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I appreciate that Cody, the Bucks, et al., are taking care to push new acts and not put themselves over too much in fear of the company looking like a vanity fed, but they're the most over people on the show and they should put themselves over more. That's one thing that I'd like to see.

Cody at least has eaten losses with a bit of purpose, though I don't love that they'll have to eventually undo the "never fight for the AEW World Championship again" stipulation down the road. He's at least feuding with like four different people and is in a great spot as the fighting fiery babyface who has to overcome the odds. The Bucks and Omega have lost way too much for my tastes. The Bucks eating the loss to Private Party as a surprise is one thing, but they should be winning more on TV. 

21 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

There is another school of thought that says they are doing jobs, in the Hogan/Kidman manner, not actually putting over their opponents. 

I'm not sure I see that argument, but I'm interested in hearing it. 

The way a certain pundit explained it, in the case of the Bucks / Private Party match, the Bucks kicking out and/or thwarting Private Party's finisher(s) and then losing via "fluke" roll-up moments later, does not do the winning team any favors and actually undermines them. 

I cant recall any of the other examples, but that one is the one that stood out for him and other folks on his side of the argument. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Private Party were virtual unknowns prior to AEW. Their beating the Bucks didn't make them stars but an over midcard team. They aren't ready to be headliners yet as they're still green. I don't even know if the audience would buy them beating the Bucks with their best stuff rather than how they did. This isn't a great argument. Kenny losing to Pac clean as a sheet to his sub finisher (DIDN'T TAP THO!!!!). Mox beats Omega at their PPV in the main event and goes on to challenge Jericho at the next PPV, and he's white hot. Cody elevating Darby via draw. Bucks just put over SCU before getting destroyed by the Dark Order. I would've personally booked Bucks to go over if I ruled the world because I don't think SCU will be a drawing tag team (maaaaybe Scorp as a singles, maybe), but the booking committee (Bucks & Khan for tag division as far as we know) thought it best to keep SCU as champs and they won clean. Proud and Powerful coming in and beating the Bucks in their first big match also established them as something above the pack too. Sure the Bucks got their win back but that was to lose to SCU in the end. P&P, PP, and SCU are more over as a result of their time in AEW than they were prior to it. Each of them have gone over the Bucks. This is hardly Nash losing to Rey via flash pin and then Nash getting his win back a couple of weeks later on the PPV. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I don't love that they'll have to eventually undo the "never fight for the AEW World Championship again" stipulation down the road. 

You know this is going end up with conspiracy victim Chris Jericho again and be pretty awesome, right?

jericho_malenko_03--703794301143a7bd7e68

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

There is another school of thought that says they are doing jobs, in the Hogan/Kidman manner, not actually putting over their opponents. 

Well, the Hogan/Taker way of doing jobs without putting anyone over does involve quite a lot of popping up straight after the pinfall, attacking the victorious opponent and leaving them laid out beaten and bloody, unable to celebrate. Which is not what the Bucks did with Private Party, in fact PP spent the whole commercial break celebrating in the crowd.  And the Cena way involves looking devastated at the loss on the night, but then going on TV the next day all happy and smiling and completely unbothered at not being champion any more. Again, not what the Bucks did.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Well, the Hogan/Taker way of doing jobs without putting anyone over does involve quite a lot of popping up straight after the pinfall, attacking the victorious opponent and leaving them laid out beaten and bloody, unable to celebrate. Which is not what the Bucks did with Private Party, in fact PP spent the whole commercial break celebrating in the crowd.  And the Cena way involves looking devastated at the loss on the night, but then going on TV the next day all happy and smiling and completely unbothered at not being champion any more. Again, not what the Bucks did.

I got a text after the Baker match tonight saying that she must have been talking to Hogan before her match tonight. 

• Haha 1

Are P&P more over now? They won the series over the Lucha Brothers in Impact, and were treated as a top act. Right now they are just a tag team trading wins back and forth. I think they should have gone over SCU for the belts already, giving all the gold to the Inner Circle. 

7 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Private Party were virtual unknowns prior to AEW. Their beating the Bucks didn't make them stars but an over midcard team. They aren't ready to be headliners yet as they're still green. I don't even know if the audience would buy them beating the Bucks with their best stuff rather than how they did. This isn't a great argument. Kenny losing to Pac clean as a sheet to his sub finisher (DIDN'T TAP THO!!!!). Mox beats Omega at their PPV in the main event and goes on to challenge Jericho at the next PPV, and he's white hot. Cody elevating Darby via draw. Bucks just put over SCU before getting destroyed by the Dark Order. I would've personally booked Bucks to go over if I ruled the world because I don't think SCU will be a drawing tag team (maaaaybe Scorp as a singles, maybe), but the booking committee (Bucks & Khan for tag division as far as we know) thought it best to keep SCU as champs and they won clean. Proud and Powerful coming in and beating the Bucks in their first big match also established them as something above the pack too. Sure the Bucks got their win back but that was to lose to SCU in the end. P&P, PP, and SCU are more over as a result of their time in AEW than they were prior to it. Each of them have gone over the Bucks. This is hardly Nash losing to Rey via flash pin and then Nash getting his win back a couple of weeks later on the PPV. 

These are all great points, but Mark has already pointed out he doesn't watch the show. Like, if you're just going off of what you heard about this show or WWE shows then you're not getting an accurate depiction of what's going on.

• Like 2

I don't know, but you're always posting about something involving Britt Baker in AEW threads. It was an interesting piece of backstage gossip at first, but now it's veering into obsessed territory.

14 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

did she not kick out at 3 and a quarter?  I can like or dislike whatever I want and I am not wrong on this.  Riho-Stratlander is going to be fun. 

We all already know you dislike Britt Baker, because you are extraordinarily creepy about it, even for this board full of people that can't figure out when they should stop talking about women. And it's getting to the point where a mod is probably (hopefully) going to ban you for it if you don't give it a rest. I'm sure that you have some genuine knowledge about wrestling and could contribute something valuable to discussions here. You are not doing so at any point that you are talking about Britt Baker. Please - cut it the fuck out already. No one is interested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

We all already know you dislike Britt Baker, because you are extraordinarily creepy about it, even for this board full of people that can't figure out when they should stop talking about women. And it's getting to the point where a mod is probably (hopefully) going to ban you for it if you don't give it a rest. I'm sure that you have some genuine knowledge about wrestling and could contribute something valuable to discussions here. You are not doing so at any point that you are talking about Britt Baker. Please - cut it the fuck out already. No one is interested.

I've said nothing that would get me banned or creepy, just facts.  But yeah if you want knowledge, 2020 will be Wardlows year.  I would be shocked if he doesn't have the title by the end of 2020. The guy can work as a great heel or face and has an amazing Swanton. In all seriousness the guy should be a huge star by years end. 

17 minutes ago, Casey said:

I don't know, but you're always posting about something involving Britt Baker in AEW threads. It was an interesting piece of backstage gossip at first, but now it's veering into obsessed territory.

she kicked out at 3 and a quarter did she not?  I did see how she cut a heelish promo later so I guess in retrospect it makes sense.   This is an AEW thread though right?  She is a huge part of AEW right?  I am doing nothing wrong.   Just like how people can hate on Enzo or Cass, etc.  I am stating an opinion and backing it up with facts.   AEW had a strong show last night. For the most part every match delivered.  To me the weak point of the show was Dustin-Sammy. The match itself was good up until the finish.  Dustin can still go and bust out new moves. Dustin-Hager could be good.  I am not sold that he has the cardio to keep up with a Penta, Fenix, or Sammy though

You saying Britt Baker is unprofessional and uses politics backstage isn't a fact, it's some random goober on the internet saying something and treating it as a fact. And people hate on Enzo and Cass for very different reasons - at first, yeah, it was the fact that neither are particularly good at wrestling (good tag team, but solo wise both were shit but at least Enzo was entertaining as a heel). Then it became about things in their personal life that were very real and undisputed facts - one was accused of rape, the other has mental issues so severe that he threatened multiple wrestlers with bodily harm and told Joey Janela he had a gun in his car and was going to kill everyone in the locker room.

These things are nothing alike. If you have people on here telling you that your behavior is weird and creepy when it comes to the topic of Britt Baker, maybe just stop it instead of doubling down and treating "what you've heard" or whatever as a god given fact. I don't like Britt Baker either, but you're taking it several levels beyond "I do not enjoy this wrestler on my TV".

• Like 1